Engine Swap ? New to the Scout world - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 871404
Engine Swap ? New to the Scout world

I just purchased a 1966 Scout800 currently with a 4cyl.

I have access it a 304 v8 does anyone know if this is a bolt in? will the motor mounts remain the same? Is the suspension beefy enough for the v8?
RKoerner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 65901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKoerner View Post

I have access it a 304 v8 does anyone know if this is a bolt in? will the motor mounts remain the same? Is the suspension beefy enough for the v8?
I put a 345 into my 4 cylinder 800. It is defi nitely not a bolt on operation in any aspect. You cant use any of the 4 cylinder running gear except may a dana 44 rear axle which will end up getting re geared. I used all SII stuff that I traded for. If buying all used parts and rebuilding you can easily spend 3=5 grand. If you are nota weld and fab guy then this swap is not for you.

My build thread isover on binderplanet dot com. Search “Tip scout 800 build”

In the end I have a very capable off road rig that will do things that many cant. It was a lot of work, but being that it is my hobby I enjoyed it all.
walkersscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 207565
The 4cy engines are literally half of the v8 (152 is half 304 with a blocking plate instead of a head on one side) but they are clocked in such a way that they can be pushed back closer to the firewall. In '66 the 800 wasn't offered with a v8 option so the cross member and front bulkhead are positioned too far back to accommodate one. Later model 800's did have an optional v8 so the cross member and bulkhead are moved forward. In short it will not be bolt in for your '66. You will have to cut and move the cross member, front bulkhead and motor mounts. You will need the 304 and the bellhousing it came with as the 4cy bellhousing wont work. I can't recall if the transmission will work on not, have to check the input shaft length due to the 4cy bellhousing. As far as I know the T18 or T19 can live behind the v8, think it was still used when v8's became an option. Tcase should be ok. Drivelines will need to be replaced or modified. Axels will be marginal, particularly if you have a heavy right foot. Suspension should be ok as I don't think they changed it when they added the v8 options.

Last edited by Pascoscout; 09-15-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Pascoscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKoerner View Post

Better off selling and buying an 800 with a v8 if an SV is what you want. Swapping a v8 SV in place of a 152/196 is as much work as swapping in anything else (350,LS, etc.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Better off selling and buying an 800 with a v8 if an SV is what you want. Swapping a v8 SV in place of a 152/196 is as much work as swapping in anything else (350,LS, etc.)
This....^^^ You will be time and or money ahead if you are dead-set on an IH mill. If not dead-set on an IH mill...then start cutting away and get to work fitting in whatever you want.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in