T-19 Transmisison / Dana300 rebuilder Denver? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 872782
T-19 Transmisison / Dana300 rebuilder Denver?

New account but have lurked around for a over decade or so.
So my syncros aren't doing so hot in my T-19 close ratio. Can't get into 3rd anymore without a lot of commotion.

I've got a spare T-19 wide ratio that I want to rebuild and swap, and am considering the 4-1 gearset for the stock Dana 300 while it is out. Having been burned a bunch over the years by local mechanics and this is well beyond my skill; is there anyone in the Denver Metro you'd recommend to do to the work and is willing to work with non-stock parts like the 4-1?

'80 Scout II... originally Diesel (hence the T-19 case) but swapped to 345 at some point early in its life.
MightyAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 34347
If you're willing to drive to Colorado Springs there's a shop I can recommend.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 872782
I'd prefer the Denver metro, but have had work done in the Springs to it (prototype D&C Extreme family cage, and Giddum Up Scout ages ago for parts) Just sort of pita to drop off and pick up an hour away particularly without 3rd gear.. but no worse than going to the northside of the Denver metro.

Who in the Springs would you recommend?

I'm contemplating trying Tanner on my other build.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Aaron at Homers Garage

https://www.facebook.com/Homers-Gara...29036863845218
Old 09-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2243
Coonrod's is a great source in CO, I'm not sure how far away he is from the city.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAA View Post
New account but have lurked around for a over decade or so.
So my syncros aren't doing so hot in my T-19 close ratio. Can't get into 3rd anymore without a lot of commotion.

I've got a spare T-19 wide ratio that I want to rebuild and swap, and am considering the 4-1 gearset for the stock Dana 300 while it is out. Having been burned a bunch over the years by local mechanics and this is well beyond my skill; is there anyone in the Denver Metro you'd recommend to do to the work and is willing to work with non-stock parts like the 4-1?

'80 Scout II... originally Diesel (hence the T-19 case) but swapped to 345 at some point early in its life.
SV or SD33t shouldn't matter, both should have had a t-19. My 1980 SII 345 has a t19w/d300 that matches the lineset. Will the 4:1 kit fit the scout 300?

I don't know what your rig is, but FWIW, with 31" tires and 3.31 gears, low range 1st gear or reverse was almost unusablely deep with the T19W/D300 combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 872782
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Will the 4:1 kit fit the scout 300?
Yes.

Quote:
I don't know what your rig is, but FWIW, with 31" tires and 3.31 gears, low range 1st gear or reverse was almost unusablely deep with the T19W/D300 combo.
Running 33", ARB up front, Detroit in the rear. Can't remember what my gears are, but do know with the current setup, I can cruise down the highway at 60-80mph comfortably around 3500 rpm's, but have to slip the clutch a ton in the rocks because the gearing is too steep. It's fine in mud or fireroads, but technical rock crawling sections has the gearing entirely too high unless I hit it like a rock bouncer... which the stock Dana44's don't like much; twisted axles, broken driveshafts, shattered yokes, toasted ARB (which also ripped teeth off the rings) and bent steering linkages have occurred over the years... so slow and easy needs the right gears down low...

4-1 might be overkill with the T-19W, but may not get that kit if the install price is high... the gears run $750-$1000 alone. I've got other project cars that need me to sink money into. (and might have me selling the Scout given what they are worth now and these days).
Old 09-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAA View Post
Yes.

Running 33", ARB up front, Detroit in the rear. Can't remember what my gears are, but do know with the current setup, I can cruise down the highway at 60-80mph comfortably around 3500 rpm's, but have to slip the clutch a ton in the rocks because the gearing is too steep. It's fine in mud or fireroads, but technical rock crawling sections has the gearing entirely too high unless I hit it like a rock bouncer... which the stock Dana44's don't like much; twisted axles, broken driveshafts, shattered yokes, toasted ARB (which also ripped teeth off the rings) and bent steering linkages have occurred over the years... so slow and easy needs the right gears down low...

4-1 might be overkill with the T-19W, but may not get that kit if the install price is high... the gears run $750-$1000 alone. I've got other project cars that need me to sink money into. (and might have me selling the Scout given what they are worth now and these days).
Going from close to wide is about the same as going to a 4:1 in the 300.

I rarely used 1st gear on the street. The deep reverse sucked for snow plowing, I'd wind it out in reverse then push in the clutch to coast backwards at a reasonable speed without burning a half gallon of gas per push revving the 345 to the moon for 30 seconds to go 25 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 166837
I would do it. Its a great combo. I have the T19 WR and D300 4:1 with 4.10s = 102:1 crawl ratio (33" tires) yet I can charge the fast lane over 80 without going over 2600rpms.
RALLYE80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in