Fall IH Rubicon run??? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Not only is it illegal to drive my rig on the street, but it's in capable of going over 30mph so I will head in west to east and out east to west.

Those with streetable rigs can go all the way through west to east (loon to tahoe), fuel up in Tahoe and drive back around to loon to load up.

We will all likely stage our tow rigs at the spillway, or pay (i think 5 bucks a day) to leave our tow rigs at robbs, or both. We'll plan in detail as the date gets closer.

I just re-read your post... coming from the east, I'd hook up with someone els coming from the east. Park at the tahoe side and drive your scout to the west side. First though, go past the entrance to ice house... You'll want to fuel up at sly park rd. It's about 3 miles further. Then backtrack to icehouse, drive up it for ever and we can all meet wherever we decide to meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos
I will obviously be trailering in as well. The trail is usually run from west to east, right? So I'm thinking I should offload the Scout and park the tow rig somewhere on the east side of the trail. Then the drive the Scout around to the west side. Not knowing anything about the area, does that make more sense than offloading/parking on the west side and driving the trail rig back around to the west side to load back up?

Or do I have it all back assward???? What would you do if you were coming in from the east?
Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Id really like to try to make it out there for the run, work looks to be very busy and the only realistic way for me would be in a Right seat. I won't really know if it will be practical for me to fly out until a week or so before the run, but what are the practical logistics of getting from the airport in Sac? to the trail.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 14262
chiscouter, I'm sure there will be lot's of people that would be down to pick you up and take you up to the trail. We will be caravaning from San Jose (driving past Sac airport) to El Dorado Hills on Thursday night the 15th. We will sleep there and head up to the trail Friday morning. From there you could ride with anyone. Josh, - I think you got the idea heading back to Loon via the trail. Driving from Tahoe to El Dorado Hills last year sucked. My scout (kind of like yours) was shaking to pieces. I lost a muffler, a rear driveline and was freezing at 2am with no gas stations open. It was cool in a adventure sense, but no thanks this year.
scoutrallye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Chi,
If you can get your arse from the airport to the trail, you're welcome to my right seat. As of right now, it's vacant.
What about a flight from Chicago to someplace else? If there was somewhere east of Tahoe you could catch a flight to, I could swing by and pick you up on my way in.

Does anyone else know of a place on the Tahoe side to park my tow rig. I'd like to park on the Tahoe side, then run the Scout around to other side and pop back out at the tow rig...... if possible.

Last edited by Mechanos; 05-27-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 10:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 11635
On the Tahoe side there is a staging area. I'm gonna run all the way through. But I'll probably leave my tow rig and trailer on the Tahoe side, try to avoid the HWY patrol and drive the Scout to Loon.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 32403
Josh, I'll follow you in and out. for some reason I dont think my scout is street legal either.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 6704
My Scout is tagged here in Missouri.... don't know what problems I might have with CHP, though.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 32403
CHP's in that area will get you for mudflaps.make sure that you are covered
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 07:14 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Looks like I will have to rig something up for flaps then..... what is the official rule as to how much has tire has to be covered?
Old 05-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Quote:
What about a flight from Chicago to someplace else? If there was somewhere east of Tahoe you could catch a flight to, I could swing by and pick you up on my way in.
Reno.

Count me in. I got it on my Calender.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben
CHP's in that area will get you for mudflaps.make sure that you are covered
Are they OK with just mudflaps and not flares?

I'm batting this trip around with the wife, I'd love to make it.. We'll see how things are when it gets a little closer. Right now I'm looking for another 1 ton truck so I don't have to drive the Motorhome down. I'm looking for a real clean 4 door gimmy or chev 1 ton, older model around 3 to 5 thousand range. keep your eyes open Cali people. I don't want a salt infested Utah truck....Thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Mud flaps are a fix-it ticket.... (no $$$, just need a cop to sign off on it after you ad them).
Old 05-28-2005, 01:54 PM   #38 (permalink)
IH Parts America Inc

Member # 21419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike
Mud flaps are a fix-it ticket.... (no $$$, just need a cop to sign off on it after you ad them).
Not anymore. If I remember correctly they charge you a $30 "administration fee" as they called it. Cocksuckers!
________
Cheap water pipes
ihojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 11959
What about the flares? I'm running 38's with 6"s of tire sticking out on either side with no coverage, do they frown on that? I have quick connects on my flaps so I have no probs there..(always run the flaps when on the street/highway, I think 40.00 dollar ticket here) I run the scout 80mph down the freeway here and have no probs so far (knocking on wood somemore)
Old 05-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 11635
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinoff
What about the flares? I'm running 38's with 6"s of tire sticking out on either side with no coverage, do they frown on that? I have quick connects on my flaps so I have no probs there..(always run the flaps when on the street/highway, I think 40.00 dollar ticket here) I run the scout 80mph down the freeway here and have no probs so far (knocking on wood somemore)
Should be ok. I had a mudflap ticket last year coming through Nevada City. Mad some temp flaps and got it signed off. $25 admin fee.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Just how does one get to the trailhead on the the west side of the trail (Loon I guess)? Can someone toss up some directions from I-80 or US-50?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Quote:
Just how does one get to the trailhead on the the west side of the trail (Loon I guess)? Can someone toss up some directions from I-80 or US-50?
From Tahoe
Take US50 west, turn right on to Ice House Rd and follow the signs to loon.

BUY MY BOAT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Old Scout; 06-03-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Quote:

If you can get to 50 your practically there - just take ice house road and turn at the sign that says loon lake. Just keep going till the road turns to dirt then it turns to rock then.. well your on the trail
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Old 06-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8372
Send a message via Yahoo to darren y
well as long as its after Labor day, I'm in as long as i have something running, the Con is virtually in my back yard....

(4) Scout II's
(6) 60's Travelall's
(5) 60's IH trucks
(1) 71 IH Pickup + parts (4 Sale!!)
(1) 77 IH 34ft Burning Man Bus
(1) 56 IH S-160 ('Mater truck)
+ way, way 2 many IH parts…all 4-SALE
71 Nova
70 Chevelle
03 Expedition
04 Crown Vic
08 Mustang
darren y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 11959
How's the weather in the middle of September there? Yes, looks like I'm going...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinoff
How's the weather in the middle of September there? Yes, looks like I'm going...

Normally it's great... but this year it'll likely still be snowing
Old 06-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Back to the top. Don't forget to get this on your calendar.

I just spoke with Sean @ Anything Scout and it sounds like he has several guys with built rigs that plan on going.

So uhm.... You vendors going to donate cool stuff again this year?
Old 06-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 11860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter
Id really like to try to make it out there for the run, work looks to be very busy and the only realistic way for me would be in a Right seat. I won't really know if it will be practical for me to fly out until a week or so before the run, but what are the practical logistics of getting from the airport in Sac? to the trail.
What's left to get that beast ready? You must be closer to being ready than me. You already have the drivetrain in right?
Hammerlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
I have the ford 205 and am shopping for a klune, or klune clone. Stiull need a better cage, and tons of loose ends that would have to be done before a cross country run. The alarm goes off at 4:30am, and I get home at about 7:30pm 5 or 6 days a week. Will be that way into August at least. Rumor has another movie coming in as soon as we are done with this one. I just don't have the time or energy to wrench on the weekends. Even if I were to get it done, no way I would have the time to drive out and back. Ill just have to see if Hooters Air flys into Sac from the windy city

Hey Locals, what airlines fly direct between here to there? what kind of rates are you getting?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in