Getting the shaft - Advise me on how to deal with a vendor - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 14196
Send a message via AIM to wes8517 Send a message via MSN to wes8517 Send a message via Yahoo to wes8517
wow, props to the BB for the admins leavin the thread up, i used to lurk on that board til i saw it went to the way of many others with over powerful admins and mods.

hope this gets resolved in a decent manner

wes
Old 08-07-2005, 08:29 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 29177
binder bulletin
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #103 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Certainly the thread on the BB will give some bad press to the builder, but I hope it didn't just destroy Sully's chances on getting his money back without legal assistance.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Certainly the thread on the BB will give some bad press to the builder, but I hope it didn't just destroy Sully's chances on getting his money back without legal assistance.

yep, thats the only thing i would be worried about by now, but its been so long, i would definately be thinking about legal system ways to get my money back. there is no excuse for the time it has taken and no phone calls. my respect for him has just gone way down

and i have to say, i too am surprised John Donnelly left the thread up, but i assume he sees no direct name-naming, and hopes the issue will be resolved. i used to be on the BB two or three times a day, but now im on for maybe 10 minutes at most. theres usually only one thread that interests me anymore. too much newbie crap where they cant search the PBB is rubbing off on me and i cant take all the newbie questions anymore

hope you get it resolved without much more problems Sully
Old 08-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 50964
While I'm No Lawyer, Ihis Sounds Like Interstate Commerce Fraud. You Might Look Into Involving Your States Attorney General.
BANDICOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Sully, have you also filed a BBB complaint on Comer too? I would do that also. I also wonder if he claimed the money he swiped from you on taxes also. See where this is going.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 3
Let me start by saying that I am honestly not attempting to bad mouth the person here but very much am attacking his business practices which have caused several people, two others besides myself and Sully that I know of, to loose literally thousands of dollars and countless hours of time trying to recover that money.

The short version of my own dealings with John Comer of Gryphin Racing, the engine builder in question here, that I went through several years ago started by laying out a plan for a built IH 345. It was to be rebuilt, balanced, blueprinted, heads ported and a new carb tuned for the motor. I sent Mr. Comer the required $1500 deposit to start the ball rolling with the agreement that it would take approximately 2 months to finish as there were several projects in front of mine.

Well the months went on and on and nothing was happening. At the 10 month mark I called John to tell him either the motor needs to be finished or I expect my deposit to be refunded. Sure enough two weeks later the motor was finished and I sent the remainder of the money to Mr. Comer and expected delivery of the motor within a week, it was to be shipped to Ft. Rucker, Alabama which was my duty station at the time. Two weeks went by and no motor. I managed to get ahold of Mr. Comer, which was never easy to do, and was actually told that the motor had fallen off the delivery truck and into a lake! Sounded more than just a little odd to me so I asked him for the name of the shipping company and the invoice number. When I contacted the shipping company I was informed that not only did they not have such an invoice number but in fact they don't operate in Colorado!

As I could no longer reach John on the phone I contacted a lawyer, not cheap I might add, and he sent several registered letters to Gryphin Racing informing him that the matter would go to court if a motor was not produced. No response, so I took Mr. Comer to small claims court. There was no arguement from Mr. Comer so the judge ordered him to build the motor and ship it within two weeks. Three weeks later and several irate phone calls to Gyrphin Racing the motor showed up. I deployed to Iraq for 15 months, came back home, put the motor in and it ran fine....for about 500 miles. It dropped a valve which broke into pieces and decided to spread thought the motor and pretty much ruined that. I have several pictures posted in My Gallery of the damage.

When I had the motor rebuilt it was quite evident that much of the work I paid for really never was done. The most obvious being the heads, not a lick of porting of any kind.

I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with the District Attorney's office in Denver over Mr. Comer's business practices. Unfortunately the BBB can not enforce anything, only warn future customers and the DA is of course too busy going after other criminals.

A side note to the moderators and administrators of the Binder Bulletin. I've described a short version of a much longer story presenting only the verifiable facts (I would gladly produce court records, reciepts, etc for anyone with questions) in hopes that others will read this and be warned of the negative business practices that this particular shop has exhibited more than once. I have tried not to slander or personaly attack Mr. Comer and would hope that you will treat this submission the same as you would when others mention satifactory with other businesses by leaving it unedited for others to read. Between the motor, the lawyer and the plane ticket for the court date I spent just over $5000 for what basically turned into a 700lb paper weight. Others should not have to risk dealing with such a business!

Thank you,

Paul

there you go Shadowman. latest post with meaning in that thread. it WAS left up, and it seems like lots of people dont have good luck with Comer. and Paul, i dont know if you're on here or not
Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 4758
FWIW, many of the guys that have been into IH's for a while here in the Denver area have horror stories about JC. Similar to the quoted post by Paul 3, I know specifically of 1 other instance where it was later discovered that a motor that was supposedly rebuilt by JC did not have any work done to the lower end. It was supposed to have been a complete build (with oversized pistons, crank balancing, port work, etc) that ended up being little more than a valve job. This was discovered when the engine was opened up at a later time.

The general consensus by the locals is that JC is capable of good work, but it's very difficult to actually get him to do it.

Last edited by Zane Znamenacek; 08-10-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Zane Znamenacek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Thanks Budget.
I feel really bad for Mr. Paul. That has to suck. That would really leave me trusting no one in the 4x4 business. That is the main reason I perform all of my own work that I can. Luckily I can do almost everything. The work that I have to send out worries me too. Like this block I have that needs bored and honed. I know I will triple check the work and write down the serial number to make sure I get the same block back. I shouldn’t have to though.

Hopefully things will work out for Sully, but seeing these types of posts; it sure isn’t looking good.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man
Thanks Budget.
I feel really bad for Mr. Paul. That has to suck. That would really leave me trusting no one in the 4x4 business. That is the main reason I perform all of my own work that I can. Luckily I can do almost everything. The work that I have to send out worries me too. Like this block I have that needs bored and honed. I know I will triple check the work and write down the serial number to make sure I get the same block back. I shouldn’t have to though.

Hopefully things will work out for Sully, but seeing these types of posts; it sure isn’t looking good.

no problem all these posts just make me wish i had the skill to do more stuff than i can, and it just makes me want to learn more so i dont have to go through this crap. there is too much of this shit goign on in the world right now, and its just somehting i dont want to have to deal with

good luck again Sully, and make sure to bring it up with hte law if you get an engine without the specs you paid for
Old 08-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 21733
A few slashed tires, some engine sand damage sure can't get your money back but it will make you feel alot better. Don't worry Sully there are plenty of us out there both watching and talking who will take action if he doesn't refund your money. Has he given any of it back yet? Let me know so I know how much to detract from his inventory.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJForrestA
A few slashed tires, some engine sand damage sure can't get your money back but it will make you feel alot better. Don't worry Sully there are plenty of us out there both watching and talking who will take action if he doesn't refund your money. Has he given any of it back yet? Let me know so I know how much to detract from his inventory.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #113 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Amen, lets not turn into what this thread is against.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 21733
I doubt I'll ever bump into jackass boy but if I do I sure will be interested in his response. It does make you want to take back whats yours though. I've been ripped off my fair share and it is my pet peave. He will get his though because that kind always seems to get what is coming to them. Especially since I don't see anyone coming to defend his character. He must be as lame as everyone is saying.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 32800
Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76
no problem all these posts just make me wish i had the skill to do more stuff than i can, and it just makes me want to learn more so i dont have to go through this crap. there is too much of this shit goign on in the world right now, and its just somehting i dont want to have to deal with
Hey Jersey Youngster-- Don't worry about it. As I have already dealt with nearly every conceivable rebuild issue--if you need something done feel free to give me a call and I'll hook you up with the people who didn't screw me.

Eric
19scout77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
Quote:
Please do NOT resort to vandalism, harrassment, or other property damage on my behalf. All of us here are better people than that.

While there is an immature part of me that would probably find it amusing, that's not the right way to handle this situation. I met with my lawyer this morning, and will be handling this in a straightforward and perfectly legal manner.

Besides, at this point, I think John's own actions (and lack thereof) have done enough damage to his reputation as a businessman. There is no need to risk your own arrest by damaging his property.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19scout77
Hey Jersey Youngster-- Don't worry about it. As I have already dealt with nearly every conceivable rebuild issue--if you need something done feel free to give me a call and I'll hook you up with the people who didn't screw me.

Eric
heck Eric, we still need to hookup to wheel. my truck failed inspection because the odometer didnt advance. got a spare speedo cable laying around . how's the truck lookin with the lower springs? hijack over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
Please do NOT resort to vandalism, harrassment, or other property damage on my behalf. All of us here are better people than that.

While there is an immature part of me that would probably find it amusing, that's not the right way to handle this situation. I met with my lawyer this morning, and will be handling this in a straightforward and perfectly legal manner.

Besides, at this point, I think John's own actions (and lack thereof) have done enough damage to his reputation as a businessman. There is no need to risk your own arrest by damaging his property.
i'm glad to hear you are taking legal action. it is about time, and you cant get in any trouble this way. this thread has been mentioned on both justinternationals and the bb, so it's not like it is keeping to the few of us on Pirate anymore. hopefully he becomes more honest and responsible with his cusomers now
Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 40702
Hey Sully! Ain't looking good! He ain't keeping regular business hours and I'm in the area at all different hours and weekends. From what the other business owners around there are telling me is he ain't got nothing but an indoor junkyard, although he was quoted as saying it's a goldmine. I got a PI buddy who owes me a favor. I'm on automatic. Some things need to be settled. You'll know when I know. Cocked and locked!
TheCopperCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #119 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
Enough with the physical threats. You e-badasses can keep your comments to yourself. Sully appears to be doing his best to handle this the right way, so just let him take care of business unless he asks for your help. Anymore threats/harassment will result in new band members and the thread will be closed/deleted.
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Especially since I don't see anyone coming to defend his character. He must be as lame as everyone is saying.

I personally like John, and have welcomed him into my home on several occasions, and he's really helped me out when in a bind a number of times as well.

Twice I've borrowed engines from him, along with a stall in his shop for a day or three and a place to sleep, after wasting one of mine on the way to RMIHR.

He's even come n' fetched me a time or two and trailered me into RMIHR and/or his shop to make repairs before I could head home.

I know of a few others that have required his assistance after a few days of post-RMIHR trail riding to patch something together to get home with.

I've never had a problem.

...but I have nothing substantial to contribute to this discussion about SULLY'S ENGINE, so I've kept my mouth shut.

My engine took almost a year, and when I picked it up, we had to first stop at the machine shop to pick up the intake manifold that was being machined *right then* before we could bolt it on top and stuff the engine in (when you deck the block to bring the pistons out of the deck at TDC, the intake often needs machined down to fit into the "V")

Engine performed as expected, and continues to.

And all of the modifications I paid for were done. I tore it down a few years later after I spun a rod bearing. The rods WERE lightened, the block WAS decked until the pistons poked out, the heads WERE ported, it was a custom grind camshaft, etc.

I've had three 727s done that all work almost as expected - one of the three had something wrong with the manual valvebody that still isn't resolved.. but I just picked up a transmission brake VB for the 727, so no biggie.

My tie-rods, draglinks, valve springs, camshafts, etc. have all been great.

I just don't have anything pertinent to Sully's engine drama.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt
I personally like John, and have welcomed him into my home on several occasions, and he's really helped me out when in a bind a number of times as well.

Twice I've borrowed engines from him, along with a stall in his shop for a day or three and a place to sleep, after wasting one of mine on the way to RMIHR.

He's even come n' fetched me a time or two and trailered me into RMIHR and/or his shop to make repairs before I could head home.

I know of a few others that have required his assistance after a few days of post-RMIHR trail riding to patch something together to get home with.

I've never had a problem.

...but I have nothing substantial to contribute to this discussion about SULLY'S ENGINE, so I've kept my mouth shut.

My engine took almost a year, and when I picked it up, we had to first stop at the machine shop to pick up the intake manifold that was being machined *right then* before we could bolt it on top and stuff the engine in (when you deck the block to bring the pistons out of the deck at TDC, the intake often needs machined down to fit into the "V")

Engine performed as expected, and continues to.

And all of the modifications I paid for were done. I tore it down a few years later after I spun a rod bearing. The rods WERE lightened, the block WAS decked until the pistons poked out, the heads WERE ported, it was a custom grind camshaft, etc.

I've had three 727s done that all work almost as expected - one of the three had something wrong with the manual valvebody that still isn't resolved.. but I just picked up a transmission brake VB for the 727, so no biggie.

My tie-rods, draglinks, valve springs, camshafts, etc. have all been great.

I just don't have anything pertinent to Sully's engine drama.
Tom, I wondered when you were going to pop into this thread.

Believe it or not, your reccomendations about Comer and the quality of his work and his character were a big part of my decision to go with him.

As I'm sure they have been for many others.

Unfortunately, my experience could not have been more of a polar opposite from what you describe.

John Comer may indeed be the type of fellow who would give a friend the shirt off his back. But he has also proven to be the type of individual who can't be bothered to return a paying customer's phone calls. Or provide the services he agreed to. Or even be trustworthy enough to return another person's money.

John may be a great person on a personal level, and he may be a hell of a mechanic. But he has proven to be the worst sort of deceitful and dishonest business person. I would even cut him some slack, because everyone is entitled to individual mistakes, if it were not for the HUGE number of people who came out of the woodwork over the course of this thread and PM'd or emailed me with stories of similar treatment from or experiences with him.

John may be your friend, and I'm sorry for having called out your friend. But I think John probably owes some people apologies as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Since I've had a number of people contact me about this, and ask for an update, the situation is STILL unresolved.

John still has not returned a single phone call, nor has he attempted to contact me by any other means, or to refund the money that he said he would.

On August 19th, I sent the following letter to John via certified mail.
Quote:
John Comer
Gryphin Automotive
3760 Wheeling Street, #8
Aurora, CO 80239

Dear Mr Comer:

I am writing this letter to confirm our conversation on the 21st of July. As per our verbal agreement over the telephone, you are to halt all work on my engine, and return my deposit of $2000.00. You agreed to send half of my deposit ($1000.00) by Friday, July 22nd, and to return the second half shortly thereafter.

As it is now August 15th, and I have not received any of my deposit returned, I can only assume that you have not sent it, nor did you intend to send it. At this point, with your repeated failure to deliver on promises, your apparent refusal to return my phone calls, and your lack of communication, I am going to have to request that you refund my entire deposit amount of $2000.00 no later than August 31st, 2005.

Sincerely,
Sean P. Sullivan
The letter was returned to me as "undeliverable/delivery refused." It's interesting that it would be undeliverable, since my check had no problem getting there.

So I have filed a small claims lawsuit in Adams County court. Many thanks to those of you who have helped me find specific information, like which county that part of Aurora is located in. I've also received recommendations from folks on this board for a Denver based attorney who was very helpful and courteous in taking the time to answer my questions about CO law.

I am currently waiting for the court to get back to me, and give me the date when I need to show up in Denver. I will post further updates when I have them.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 46026
Sorry, newish guy (lurker)...
I had a similar problem a few years back with another mechanic (strangely enough in Aurora), involving a LandRover and engine swap that, like yours, took about 2 years until I took him to small claims court in Adams County - that took another year. Madron's if anyone has heard of them...

Some advice... start figuring out how you are going to collect and talk to your lawyer about it. I never collected anything beyond $500 when I seized his checking account, so on top of my original "damages", I was also out legal fees and left with a basket case car I could not afford to repair. It was a very expensive ($15k) lesson in life.... I'm the "winner"..BS, everyone else came out ahead... btw: still have the Rover, still doesn't run...
cfishgo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Sully, if you need something "hand delivered", let me know. That can be arranged.
I for one also was waiting for Mr.Tom. I was also holding myself in check until I seen your response as it is your issue. The problem I have with Tom or anyone else that comes out in the public and defend a POS like that is; it is just WRONG. You were robbed. It is like Tom is just flaunting his great personal dealings with that POS and rubbing your nose in it. You know, it isn't like he hasn't talked to Comer on the phone or in person. I'm sure they talked quite a bit since this was first posted. It isn't like this is out of the blue. If he was my friend I would have been busting his balls to make it right.
That is how it appears to me.
IMO when someone defends someone like that, I classify him a roach like the other.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 21733
I'm for finding every event this jackass is involved in and every place it is advertised and then posting this scenario along with others willing to come forward. I guarantee you that if he cosponsors or even has a booth at an event and it is boycotted because of his presence and lack of desire to make this right it will really have an impact. Get this out on the BB and any international board that will allow and then find all the events he will be at and let the organizers know we won't be attending because of him. Soon he'll have no safe have but his own sorry ass house. Hate to compare him to Osama but its the same concept. Take away his support and his "havens" and he'll have to do something. This is too important to let die as this guy is a thief plain and simple and should be treated like the guy I caught stealing my kids bike. Beat down and left lying there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in