Axle carnage pics - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Axle carnage pics

I checked into the front 44 I broke last weekend. The good news is that the ARB appears to be fine. It does not leak any air when engaged and it still locks up. The first thing I noticed when I pulled the cover off the diff was what looked like silver anti-sieze, only thinned down, pouring out of the diff. That was, of course, the gear lube loaded up with tons of metal flakes. You can see a metallic coating on the copper tube and you can see all the metal flakes on the lower lip of the diff.

When I pulled the cover off, I noticed that there were two cracks. The lower crack starts in the u-bolt groove and head up to about the centerline of the axle tube and then cuts across the gasket surface and goes all the way over to the bearing cap.

The upper crack goes right along the weld bead for the spring perch.

and then cuts across the gasket surface and along the inside of the case and ends at the upper bearing cap bolt hole.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4506
NICE
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
*Yawn*

Hit a tree at 40mph and it will break the tube off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Dude, that is minor...some JB weld and duct tape and you'll be back on the trails in an hour...

Chris
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
It's about time!

Better get a cut down chevy front like you said. That will hold you over till your big axles are done.....
Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800
It's about time!...
About time for what?
Old 11-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanos
About time for what?
to put in an axle thats cast to have the spring on top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
when is the 60 going in?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
About time for what?
For you to get off your ass and swap those axles out. We need more one ton tech Plus you have a good thing going with that e-brake setup.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinoff
when is the 60 going in?
Still need to shave the 14 bolt and get a Detroit for it. Still need to get the ARB for the D60F, regear it, buy axle shafts, buy drive flanges, buy high steer arms, buy 42" rubber, etc. etc. etc.

Then if I still want to link it up, I need to buy my link material, link joints, axle truss and coilovers. Honestly, I think I'll be on retirement by the time I get all that chit pulled together, so I'm seriously considering changing my plans. I'm thinking about just getting the 1-tons built and then swap them in on leaves (56"/63" Chevys or the like) and then link it up at a later date. That should get me wheelin' on the 1-tons a lot sooner, but it will still take a while to save up the money for all the D60F parts.

If I do just go with leaf springs for now, I still plan on moving the rear axle back about 6" from where it is now. That will give me a 110" wheelbase.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
I hear ya on the money issue.Took me how long to just get the 383, tranny, 2 tires, and misc. parts to get my pile back on the trail after my last Moab adventure.. My rear link will happen this winter. I am sick of replacing leaf springs. Little here and their and you can have all the parts gathered. Let me know what you need, i might be able to find you some used stuff around here?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Nice carnage man! Are you going to swap out that housing and put another one in until the tons are ready?
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
Nice carnage man! Are you going to swap out that housing and put another one in until the tons are ready?
Yeah.... that's the plan. I check the prices at PnP and they want $40 for an axle housing, so I'm going to look for a Chevy front 44 and cut it down to SII width so I can just stuff all my existing internals in it.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Thought you had a Scout 44, or did you sell some of your stuff? After being around wheeling again last month for the first time since I went with you to KSRocks last year, I miss the wheelin' but damn there was a lot of wrenchin going on. Don't miss that in the least.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
Thought you had a Scout 44, or did you sell some of your stuff? After being around wheeling again last month for the first time since I went with you to KSRocks last year, I miss the wheelin' but damn there was a lot of wrenchin going on. Don't miss that in the least.
I do, but you can see the result of the Scout 44 SUA axle after all the grinding on it for the SOA conversion. I'm going to start with an SOA housing to begin with. Cutting it down isn't a big deal since I'll have to cut & turn the C's anyway. I'll just cut the C's off, press out the remaining slug, cut down the tubes and put the C's back on at the correct angle.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Still need to shave the 14 bolt and get a Detroit for it. Still need to get the ARB for the D60F, regear it, buy axle shafts, buy drive flanges, buy high steer arms, buy 42" rubber, etc. etc. etc.
I just got a quote on a pair of Detroits, some install kits, and a pair of 5.86s for my 60 & 70HD.. it's gonna be a while. At least I stole the 60F, so I feel a little better, but...

And then almost that much in rubber when the time comes, too.

Quote:
If I do just go with leaf springs for now, I still plan on moving the rear axle back about 6" from where it is now. That will give me a 110" wheelbase.
Can you get 6" more out of the back without the diff cover hitting the gas tank? Or will you relocate the fuel tank?

I hate the idea of relocating the gas tank - there goes all of our cargo space (remember all of the trash talking to your CJ buddies about their lack of space? We can't have that coming back on us!).

Hmm.. a guy could build a custom fuel tank with a diff cover relief.. but eventually you'd need a relief for the links and truss, too.

We need a "33-gal" gas tank that's been shortened.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt
I just got a quote on a pair of Detroits, some install kits, and a pair of 5.86s for my 60 & 70HD.. it's gonna be a while. At least I stole the 60F, so I feel a little better, but...

And then almost that much in rubber when the time comes, too.

Can you get 6" more out of the back without the diff cover hitting the gas tank? Or will you relocate the fuel tank?

I hate the idea of relocating the gas tank - there goes all of our cargo space (remember all of the trash talking to your CJ buddies about their lack of space? We can't have that coming back on us!).

Hmm.. a guy could build a custom fuel tank with a diff cover relief.. but eventually you'd need a relief for the links and truss, too.

We need a "33-gal" gas tank that's been shortened.
I just got some quotes myself....
35 spline D60 ARB $750
Alloy shafts for the D60 $500
CTMs for the D60 ~$350
Detroit for the 14b $375

add onto that, high steer arms, drive flanges and 42" rubber.

No, the tank would have to be modified. I was thinking about just making a custom fuel cell that mounted in the stock location but was either shorter or relieved to clear the diff. The stock cross member that tank and shocks mount to would also have to be modified.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb
Real nice Clark. Real nice.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 13731
Quote:
I'll just cut the C's off, press out the remaining slug.
It doesn't always work that easy ---- when I have tried it the welds have penetrated so far you need to grind then out of the remaining slug in the "C". But then so only have a little piece to work with and ZERO leverage... But either way it is still easier than the hours of grinding on a Scout housing.

uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyscout
It doesn't always work that easy ---- when I have tried it the welds have penetrated so far you need to grind then out of the remaining slug in the "C". But then so only have a little piece to work with and ZERO leverage... But either way it is still easier than the hours of grinding on a Scout housing.
That was obviously a simplification so the post wouldn't be a half-mile long stating every little detail. What I thought I'd try this time is to cut through the weld bead, flush with the back of the C. Then split the remaining piece of tube in the C with a sawzall and then try to press or drive the pieces out of the C..... grinding at the weld as nessecary.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Quote:
I just got some quotes myself....
35 spline D60 ARB $750
Alloy shafts for the D60 $500
CTMs for the D60 ~$350
Detroit for the 14b $375
Stock shafts: $00.00
Stock joints: $00.00
Lincoln lockers: $20

472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Searched the JY today.... no joy. Could not find a Chevy 4x4 old enough to have a D44 front.... just a shit load of 10 bolts. Got a couple of other places to check, but it's not looking too good for finding one at this point.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 10775
Send a message via Yahoo to SSGTWC
Quote:
Searched the JY today.... no joy. Could not find a Chevy 4x4 old enough to have a D44 front.... just a shit load of 10 bolts. Got a couple of other places to check, but it's not looking too good for finding one at this point.
I have a junk yard out here that has a 3/4 ton 44 underneath. I know it would be a drive, but it's out here.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Never, underestimate the amount of stupidity in people!
SSGTWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGTWC
I have a junk yard out here that has a 3/4 ton 44 underneath. I know it would be a drive, but it's out here.
What do you think they'd want for it? If it makes a difference, I only need the housing, so the axle could be gutted at the yard if it would make a difference in price.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 10775
Send a message via Yahoo to SSGTWC
Quote:
What do you think they'd want for it? If it makes a difference, I only need the housing, so the axle could be gutted at the yard if it would make a difference in price.
$125 for the whole thing. He probably wouldn't want you to gut it there. You could gut it here and leave the shit for my amusement. I wouldn't be able to do much since I just had another discectomy in my neck, but I could stand there for moral support.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Never, underestimate the amount of stupidity in people!
SSGTWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in