new guy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 82469
new guy

J ust wanted to say hey to everyone one--I am new to this forum, but an old IHC fan....I currently own a 1977 Terra that I am working to get on the trail-Just sold my old project-a caged out no body '84 K5 with 52's and 2.5 ton running gear..it will sure be nice to get back to my roots as I have had three Scout II's previous to the bowtie. My Terra has D44's on both ends, loaded w/4.10's, a 345ci, 727 trans and D20 tcase..someone before me installed a 2" body lift and some shackles that appear to be at least 6" long end to end, so I guess that's worth 3" of lift....My plan is to leave the springs under the axles, trim some sheetmetal to clear 35's, add chromo's all the way around and 4.88's +lockers....I have a 9000# winch to put on, and also have a full fiberglass
Traveler top w/ a rear seat for my kiddo's..I want it to be as all around capable as possible(even though I realize it will never go over some of the obstacles my monster buggy) and yet have room/comfort for the wifey and my kids--We wheel mainly at the Canadian river north of Amarillo,TX which has a good mix or terrian types...any tips would be most welcome on my build up, as I never really got to modify my other Scouts....Thanks, Greg
TerraScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 65726
I am not siding with this guy but my shakles are 5" bolt to bolt, and 6" over all. They are perfect. Stock length shackles dont flex worth a shit in my opinion.
binderbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Welcome to the board. Be carefull, these guys have been on the hunt lately.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47067
Welcome to the dark side----- That said I agree with Snoopy--- enter at your own risk. These guys can be brutal, but a butt kickin from Scout guys beats the crap outta the warm fuzzys from the Heep crowd. Keep us posted on your project and how it is going..
srscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2006, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Welcome to the board. Be carefull, these guys have been on the hunt lately.

LMAO snoop no hard feelings........?

Drunk again
Old 11-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Welcome.

Why didnt ya keep the 2.5s? Not looking for that level or performace anymore? OR are you looking at more of a duel purpose rig this time?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 82469
Hey, thanks for the welcome....as to the question about the 2.5's--I have a
desire to get back to "simple" offroading...the big gun set up was cool and worked VERY well, but I discovered that the rig was too limited to just hard core rocks...it wasn't fun for my family and friends to stand around watching me, and the trails/obstacles that used to be a challenge were too easy..the main reason, however, is my kiddos and wife--I have a 2 year old girl and a 1 year old son. They were not allowed any comfort in the monster buggy and I would never attempt any hardcore lines with them in the rig,anyway...plus, most of the guys I wheel with don't have rigs set up to run with a rig like
my old one...That, and I couldn't play in the mud very much because of the way my old rig was set up....geared too low, exposed engine bay, lack of any kind of sheetmetal or glass....I figure the Terra will be as capable as I will actually need, yet be mild enough for my family to enjoy...more of an all around truck....
TerraScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800
LMAO snoop no hard feelings........?
YA ~ IM PISSED

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in