Weekend report 11/19/06 - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73602
Cut and hauled down A load of Tamarack.Plus used the extra weight of the wood to pull two big trees across the tracks people were using to go around A locked OHV gate.
mountainguyed67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Wheeled.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHC-6
Saturday - Cut up a tree that fell at my place during all the lovely wind and rain we have been having. Ugly stopped by and lended a hand moving wood, which made the job go faster. Muchas Gracias!

Sunday - Bought an EFI Scout so I didn't have to build one, and watched it rain, and rain, and oh... did I mention that it rained?
You know I once had this really good buddy who swore up and down he'd never own another Scout after buying his full size rigs. LOL

Glad to here Moose's rig got a good home. I expect to see you on the snow run!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt
So, whatcha buildin?
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
EDIT: I forgot to include some stuff
Friday: went to junkyard and pulled another Ford D44R out of a truck, picked up a PS box.

Sat/Sun: Researched and found a new project. Should be buying it tonight.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 21359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Researched and found a new project.

So what are you building?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I'm going to build a quick-buggy. Something I can test some triangulated 4-link ideas on and sell quickly to make $$ for the IH version of the same. That's right, as bad as this is going to sound, its not an IH ~ so I won't bother ya'll by making a build thread here.

The plan is that I'll build two buggies in a relatively short period of time ~ I'm talking January as a finish date. A buddy of mine ~ Allen (he's the guy who fills my shocks for me) will be buying a similar rig and we'll build twins. I went to the junk yard and got two high-pinion D44s out of 76ish Fords (weld on c-bushing mounts) for the projects. My rig's already got a TBI350 in it, I'm picking up a TH400/D300 combo as well ~ then I'm going to use my D44R/9inch combo w/ twin 4-links, tube, SAW Coil-overs up front w/ Airshocks in back. Allens is going to be identicle rig but with an opposite paint scheme ~ so if my bug is white with black, he's going with black w/ white.

Anyway, the whole thing revolves around building something I can test a new 4-link front out on. Then I'll sell it, recoop the $$ with some extra. Then with the extra, I'll start on the IH version of the same. I don't want to get too specific, but needless to say ~ this is the first big step to a coil'd scout conversion ~ even if it doesn't include a scout right now.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
So, whatcha buildin?
Those pics in particular lead to:

Which is nearing the end of construction of this:

Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 29271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke
You know I once had this really good buddy who swore up and down he'd never own another Scout after buying his full size rigs. LOL

Glad to here Moose's rig got a good home. I expect to see you on the snow run!
Well, it is just a commuter car. It isn't like I am going to like the thing or wheel it or anything...

Won't be on the snow run. Have a job to do swapping engines on a 56 S-120 that weekend. $$$ first. Play later.

-John
Old 11-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man
Went and performed a "snatch and grab" up in Salt lick city.

Picked up the Wife's 77 SSII I bought 10 months ago..
And you didn't even stop and say hello!

My weekend, went and broke in the new quad up on Skyline. Got the T-cases and tranny installed and actually drove the scout. Now looking at redoing front shock hoops. The scout needs a new carb., Shroud ,hook up electric fans, and one rear spring and its ready to hit the trail again.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinoff
The scout needs a new carb....
Hark...

You mean to tell my that sexy bitch of yours is still carb'ed...all that bling I would have thought you were a fuelie or propaned...
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow
Hark...

You mean to tell my that sexy bitch of yours is still carb'ed...all that bling I would have thought you were a fuelie or propaned...

I think he's dual fueled with a carb. Seems I saw a pic with some forklift propane tanks in the bed.

I'd love to go fuelie or propane myself.....Brag about it Hark....we wanna know.
YellowIH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 33649
Sat- I pulled my atlas & crossmember to relocate it lower. I clocked the atlas back up and will be redoing my crossmember lower by about 4 inches, still above frame though.

Sunday- worked on erecting sunroom from a kit i bought.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Fuel injection. I wouldn't run it, seen to many die on the trail. Last one I seen die was on Coyote trail in Moab "computer failed because of heat".. Not a good trail to die or break on.
I run dual fuel and totally dig it! Run on gas , stock style Scout poly tank , If I need to run vertical switch over to the propane. Works flawless, no wiring no computer no hassel. I run a fuel lock for the gas a fuel lock for the pane and a primer for cold start on the pane. 3 wires running to 2 toggle switches. A 8 gallon forklift tank has lasted me for several days in Moab. I keep an extra tank at camp so I don't get price gouged at the local stores. The carb I'm running now is leaking gas out of the linkage area's "q-jet" Its friggin old and hasn't been rebuilt in 7 years. I'm going to bite the bullet and by one of the edelbrok q-jets... My propane setup is a model E with an impco 300A. I've also noticed the engine will run slightly cooler on the propane than gasoline. Of course oil will last longerl, No carbon deposits. The 383 I just built, I built it about 9:8:1 compression. Gives the propane a little more umph. The more compression the better they will run. My problem is that It still has to run on pump gas without predetonation problems. So you got to keep the compression within reason. Also the dual fuel gives you two fuel sources. Propane screws up drive out on fuel. gas screws up, drive out on pane Also you need to run hardend seats in the heads and really good valves. The propane burns really hot and will toast an older set of non hardened seats. Oh and I'm into my system now about
200 bucks! I guess this brags up the propane?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Quote:
Fuel injection. I wouldn't run it, seen to many die on the trail. Last one I seen die was on Coyote trail in Moab "computer failed because of heat".. Not a good trail to die or break on.
I run dual fuel and totally dig it! Run on gas , stock style Scout poly tank , If I need to run vertical switch over to the propane. Works flawless, no wiring no computer no hassel. I run a fuel lock for the gas a fuel lock for the pane and a primer for cold start on the pane. 3 wires running to 2 toggle switches. A 8 gallon forklift tank has lasted me for several days in Moab. I keep an extra tank at camp so I don't get price gouged at the local stores. The carb I'm running now is leaking gas out of the linkage area's "q-jet" Its friggin old and hasn't been rebuilt in 7 years. I'm going to bite the bullet and by one of the edelbrok q-jets... My propane setup is a model E with an impco 300A. I've also noticed the engine will run slightly cooler on the propane than gasoline. Of course oil will last longerl, No carbon deposits. The 383 I just built, I built it about 9:8:1 compression. Gives the propane a little more umph. The more compression the better they will run. My problem is that It still has to run on pump gas without predetonation problems. So you got to keep the compression within reason. Also the dual fuel gives you two fuel sources. Propane screws up drive out on fuel. gas screws up, drive out on pane Also you need to run hardend seats in the heads and really good valves. The propane burns really hot and will toast an older set of non hardened seats. Oh and I'm into my system now about
200 bucks! I guess this brags up the propane?
Yep. You covered it.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but, Edelbrock stopped making their Q-jets. I was looking for one a couple weeks (months??) ago and discovered same.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowIH
Yep. You covered it.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but, Edelbrock stopped making their Q-jets. I was looking for one a couple weeks (months??) ago and discovered same.
That is some bad news! What did you end up going with?
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Quote:
That is some bad news! What did you end up going with?

Still running the same old discount part store quad from the beginning some 7 or 8 years later. THere is a place on Ebay that rebuilds quads that looks promising. The link is bookmarked on the work computer......

I haven't bought anything b/c I am still torn btw staying with a carb or taking the leap to FI or Propane. I like the idea of propane, but dislike the idea of giving up any bed space. I pack like a rat and the rear area is already pretty full. Guess I could find room for two forklift bottles.....
Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 70402
Quote:
I'm going to build a quick-buggy. Something I can test some triangulated 4-link ideas on and sell quickly to make $$ for the IH version of the same. That's right, as bad as this is going to sound, its not an IH ~ so I won't bother ya'll by making a build thread here.

The plan is that I'll build two buggies in a relatively short period of time ~ I'm talking January as a finish date. A buddy of mine ~ Allen (he's the guy who fills my shocks for me) will be buying a similar rig and we'll build twins. I went to the junk yard and got two high-pinion D44s out of 76ish Fords (weld on c-bushing mounts) for the projects. My rig's already got a TBI350 in it, I'm picking up a TH400/D300 combo as well ~ then I'm going to use my D44R/9inch combo w/ twin 4-links, tube, SAW Coil-overs up front w/ Airshocks in back. Allens is going to be identicle rig but with an opposite paint scheme ~ so if my bug is white with black, he's going with black w/ white.

Anyway, the whole thing revolves around building something I can test a new 4-link front out on. Then I'll sell it, recoop the $$ with some extra. Then with the extra, I'll start on the IH version of the same. I don't want to get too specific, but needless to say ~ this is the first big step to a coil'd scout conversion ~ even if it doesn't include a scout right now.

Are you going to do a build up on DNC website or general4X4 or anywhere? I'd still like to see a build up of the buggies even though they aren't IH's.

Saturday: Left for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and came back Wednsday. Had an awesome time at the all inclusive hotel we stayed at. All inclusive meaning I spent almost all my time at the bar! They make some stiff white russians when you tip them right! I don't remember most of sunday through tuesday, but I'm pretty sure I had fun!

Chris

Last edited by nooblet; 11-23-2006 at 01:36 PM.
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Are you going to do a build up on DNC website or general4X4 or anywhere? I'd still like to see a build up of the buggies even though they aren't IH's.
The build is going to be in the Gen or Hardcore Jeep forum. I brought home the test mule yesterday. Its a homely little YJ.

I can't believe I had to pay $1500 for it. I'm selling the doors, corner/rocker protection, front bumper, seats and interior bits, as well as the heater and dash componants to a couple guys local to me. I'll re-coop $1K from that

The only thing that will be left is the body (whick will be butchered) and the TBI350 it has in it ! I'm going with a TH350, RMVB w/ compression breaking and RV gearset, then a stack in back. Coilovers up front, airshocks in back, Trussed/locked/alloy'd HP44 & 9" with 5.38ish gears, lots of tube. It'll be very similar build (but hopefully more family friendly) than the Band-Aid Buildup I did in Gen4x4 about 7 months ago.

Here's a pick after running Indy
Old 11-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Eric's buggy. sweet.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I really need to get another picture of it. He had it professionally painted the same RED that it was before. Holy cow does it look awesome. Anyway, the build is a little down the road. I've got bumpers and a couple cages to ship first. I'm looking to start the build mid-december. I really need to move the POJ to the side yard. Not that its ugly...its just a jeep, and it makes me feel like a trader. ~ I can't tell ya how wierd it makes me feel knowing that I have a jeep closer to running than a scout. Its a sad-sad world.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
A jeep.........
Old 11-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800
A jeep.........
I know.... I know.... I could have said it was Led's and I was just buiding it for him...but I actually paid money for it and have a title. If I'm honest, I'll openly admit a queezy feeling when picking it up. As Ron White said: "Things that make you go.......Blaaa!"

Anyway, I don't want to muck up the IH forum with blasphemy. Ya'll know I'm a scout guy, but ya'll know we're saving for adoption. A jeep build will accomplish a couple things. (1) parts are cheaper and easier to get, (2) Reselling. Jeeps fetch much more money that Scouts do (and lets not kid ourselves, I'll sell it when done. (3) This will be a test platform for a new 4-link front. (4) My wife agreed to it and is letting me use money from saving as long as I replenish it (+50%) when I'm done ~ in fact that's the reason I'm doing it ~ that is, she's letting me!

She said that I need to sell it for twice what I built it for (parts) ~ and then half of the profit will go back into savings, the rest can be used towards my RockBinder build. And seeing that the MPFI system will cost me $2500-3000 alone ~ I'm probably going to have to turn 2 jeeps to make the RockBinder build what I really want it to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in