Weekend Update Dec 30-Jan 1 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27575
Weekend Update Dec 30-Jan 1

Well, since this is the last "real" weekend I'll have until Feburary I figured I'd better start.

I worked Saturday until about 2:30am. Well didn't work, but went on a ride-a-long with a county deputy as part of my dispatch training.

Sunday started to pull the old knocking 345 out of my 74 pickup. Called it early and went to a New Years Party. I had WAY too much Vodka and Rockstar. I know because I helped a guy finish off a bottle of Tequilla and I hate tequilla, at least straight from the bottle. Again, because of my new dispatching job, this was probably my last New Years ever for a few years, so I had to make the most of it!

Monday, finished pulling the 345 out of my pickup. Didn't run into too many problems. The major problem is I don't know if I am going to be able to drill and tap the 392 block for the 74/75 mounts. While it has the bosses cast into the block, they aren't as pronounced as what's on the 74 block. I really don't know what we'd be drilling into, so it's a bit of a concern. Here's a few pics!!

Sorry,, no drunk Carl pictures, but I'll see if I can russel a few up, as it's is a rare photo oppertunity!

Ready to pull the 345

Nothing like 750#'s of iron 6' off the ground!

And just for fun! The double pumper doesn't quite fit. OH well, I really doubt the old anemic IH mill could handle it!

Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Friday and Saturday I worked on the long arm set up on the bubba dodge. The suspension is gonna be the only part of that truck that's worth a damn.

Sunday, did a little more on the dodge then went out. Payed way to much to get into a bar that was way too lame. The older I get the dumber people seem.

Monday, returned some xmas gifts. Bought some work clothes and business stuff.

07 already looks like its gonna be a winner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Not much.... finally got the SX's pulled off the Scout, dismounted and sold. My Scout is looking ultra gay with all the lift and SOA sitting on a pair of stock sizes rollers on chrome wheels.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Got the back SOA done Saturday. The only thing left is when I get the front setting in there right to finish the welding and set the pinion angle.

FYI ScoutII D44s w/ 4:56, home made perches and Triangle 4" springs on 38's.

Sunday went to a part and was the old guy(I'm 31 damnit!) and had to leave at 10pm since a bunch of em started to smoke pot. Then I drove an hour to the party my wife went to and had a great time!

Monday I spent all day in my PJs watching season 1 of Battlestar Gallactica with the wife.

HOS just add a spacer and it will fit. Thats what I did to clear the thermostat housing.
Attached Images

Last edited by NVScouter; 01-02-2007 at 07:19 AM.
NVScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Went on a New Years run....

Then finished my brothers rock sliders.....

Old 01-02-2007, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3815
Pulled the front axle out of mine and tore it down to the knuckles to get it ready to get new gears. Shafts and u-joints are all in good shape, but I did break one of the tack welds on a cap. I still can't figure out how I fragged the R&P first.

Thought about cutting the old spring perches off or cleaning up the frame to get ready for coil mounts, but I played Dead Rising instead. Sometimes having an XBox in the shop is a bad idea.

EDIT: I had boiled crawfish and Corona Light on new year's eve, and they were fantastic.

Last edited by Cajun; 01-02-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 46467
It was my turn to work the holidays this year, so not much got done.
I put the F.I. harness through the firewall. Need to cut my glove box door in half so I can install the brain as the cage is preventing the door from opening. Not sure what others have done, but the cutoff wheel looks like viable option

Edit

New Years went downtown and watched the fireworks.

Last edited by R290; 01-02-2007 at 08:50 AM.
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
HOS just add a spacer and it will fit. Thats what I did to clear the thermostat housing.
It is Diesel Smoke...not me...foolio...

Have you thought about kicking your axle back a couple of inches...? Sure looks like you could with that comp cut you did. Personal opinion is that you will end up too tall for your liking when finished...at that wheelbase.

Before you get it all finished...I would jack up the front to see what a level rig will look like at that spring elevation...

.02c
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Sorry HOS!

I think your right about all that, I've only welded the tabs about half way until I get the front weight on it. For the height I'm thinking the same thing, I have a set of stock ScoutII springs if it turns out to be too high. We'll see when I get the front's weight on it however. I dont think I'll revers shackel it so I may move the front forward a couple inches. I'll also be ditching the top and doors soon too for decreased weight/top weight. If anybody wants em come get em!

I dont really want to move the axle back anymore if I can help it, mainly because I dont want to have to add a frame extention. This summer I'm really going to be working on a front D60 to match the rear I have and do coils. Then I'll look at moving it.

I started jacking it up yesterday, I need to see how its all going to sit level before I finish welding it all up. When I get it level I'll post a pic or two for public opinion.

O yeah forgot to add I ordered some alloy shafts too!

I havent decided to do a mini spool or weld the rear. I'm trying not to sink too much into these axles since I'll be upgrading within a year.

Last edited by NVScouter; 01-02-2007 at 10:53 AM.
NVScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Smoke View Post
And just for fun! The double pumper doesn't quite fit. OH well, I really doubt the old anemic IH mill could handle it!
Like NV says.. you need a carb spacer to get the double pumper up higher, then cut the hood and put a bugcatcher on it.

I spent the last week at home.. sick, then OK and caring for a sick wife n' kid, then sick again. Great way to burn a week's vacation.

Did get the fuel tanks, door, fender (inner/outer), hood, and windshield pulled from the C30.

Also noticed the puddle of ATF under the DD Scout.. either the front seal, or the shifter.. either way I'm thinking about just building a spare and swapping it in - and checking the rear main while I'm at it.

I already knew it needed a front main oil seal. *sigh*

My plan for last week was to get the C30 disappeared.. but it didn't happen.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Installed new RPT Motor Mounts....while jacking up the motor by myself I managed to "clearance" the fan shroud..... Would have been cool if there were cursory **warning** instructions... Oh well...such is Scout ownership.... Great product though...

Also re-did the rear bumber crossmember.....the body lift and time had bent down the rear mounts and they were badly bent. I could bend them by hand with the weight of the body off them.. Used a 1/4" piece of angle and some flat stock welded together to make the ears for the body mounts. Used a one inch hole saw for the mounts. I let the ears of the welded on flat stock piece extend into the frame area and tied it into the rear bumper bolt area. Then I bolt and welded the new piece to the rear mem

I should have pics...but I don't.
YellowIH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Started the process of swapping a 727 in for the BW-11 in my 800.

Believe it or not, It is going to take longer than expected, be more difficult, and cost more...

When will I ever learn

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
no strings on me

Member # 12036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
Started the process of swapping a 727 in for the BW-11 in my 800.

Believe it or not, It is going to take longer than expected, be more difficult, and cost more...

When will I ever learn
Ahhhhh...the joys of Scout ownership......
YellowIH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 3178
On the block issue, I would see about finding the right block. The work of doing the drilling and tapping with less material is less than desirable. The issue I see is it may be weaker in the mount area. You could add an extra mount tab somehow to strengthen it, but i would just find a 74, 75 392 and go the easy route. If its a matter of you already having the good running 392 then you should be able to off it easy enough and then use the scratch to buy the correct 74, 75 motor. You should have a decent amount of trucks to scavange down there.
If not I have a few but the drive is 4-5 hours each way.

John
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 70402
I had a great New Years Eve party

And before the party me and my buddies had a demolition derby with an old LTD, Datsun, Lincoln, and some big old Dodge car.

Then we played around on the dodge after it stopped running

It was a very fun weekend.

Chris

P.S. sorry for the poor pictures, the camera on my cell phone isn't too hot, but I didn't have my digital with me.
nooblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1684
I wheeled.........and broke.

http://www.snort4x4.com/forum/showth...318#post340318
Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 39412
Well it was not the way I wanted to end 06 and start a new year. But I had a seizure while driving on Friday. Never had one before but luckily my girlfriend was with me. I had just picked her up for lunch and then it happened I obviously don't remember it but she stayed calm reached across the truck and pressed down on the brake right before we rolled out in to a busy intersection. So I spent Friday night and Saturday in the hospital.

The worst part was we got almost two feet of snow here and all I wanted to do was go play, but I can't drive til I have another test on Thursday.

Yesterday picked up some new tires something i've been needing really bad.
And dropped them off to get mounted today. Got 4 39.5x18 Boggers with 90% tread and a brand new 39.5x18TSL for $700 Also decided to ditch my welded front and Ordered a detroit today.
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Played in the snow on 1/1. Here are some highlights.

CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 65726
I finished up swapping the t-19 in, refabbed the crossmember mounts, added some RPT tranny mounts and new crossmember. Put the front winch bumper, winch and lights back on. And wheeled on new years day
Attached Images

binderbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 6250
Removed my non-functioning stock IH hubs, cleaned all the sh*t out, and magically they work again. Imagine that.

Adjusted my carb a little more, retightened the exhaust manifold/pipe connector, and hosed out all the dust (inside and out) from the outing a couple weeks ago.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSmith View Post
Played in the snow on 1/1. Here are some highlights.

that guy stole my scout

Old 01-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief yelling alot View Post
that guy stole my scout

I think yours is more

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Got a call from a buddy wanting to know how hard it would be to get a flatbed trailer. He may be getting 20,000 pounds of titanium and needs to haul it to the scrapyard so he can sll t for $5 a pound. Then we'll split it 3 ways, him, his dad, and me.

Been off work for the last two weeks. There's no freight moving, and nothing for me to do, so last weekend I was broker than usual and stayed home.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Quote:
He may be getting 20,000 pounds of titanium and needs to haul it to the scrapyard so he can sell t for $5 a pound. Then we'll split it 3 ways, him, his dad, and me.
Holy Crap!!!!!!!!

20K LBS @ $5 a LBS=$100K / 3 = 33,333.33 each Nice haul
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Wheeler View Post
Got a call from a buddy wanting to know how hard it would be to get a flatbed trailer. He may be getting 20,000 pounds of titanium and needs to haul it to the scrapyard so he can sll t for $5 a pound. Then we'll split it 3 ways, him, his dad, and me.

Been off work for the last two weeks. There's no freight moving, and nothing for me to do, so last weekend I was broker than usual and stayed home.
SHITE!!!

I drag the gooseneck up there for that kinda jack. I could make it in two trips..... yeah, I think it'd be worth the drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in