Fresh Meat ~ a Scout Racer Build. - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 12:37 AM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Wow! On top of your insane shop rate you charged him $221.88 for misc. shop supplies!!! Then $300.00 for gas? Where did you drive? That Audi A4 in the drive way can go 2400 miles on that much fuel @ 3 bucks a gal. I know I have one

I know this is not how we run our shop, so I have to say I think your in the wrong......sorry

I don't know you so I don't want to hate but you make it hard with things like this......

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 10-30-2008 at 12:38 AM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 46270
I could see charging for gas and supplies if the labor was free and you agreed they would cover cost (normally its included in the hourly rate). But i see a labor charge of $648, is that your labor or machine work?

Although misc metal etc... you really need to be very specific, i have ran into situations like this before and now everything that is purchased goes into the bill when its bought (detailed) it makes it much easier so you know here all the money went. Also, write up a qoute before you start with all the general things on it, i know its hard to be specific with custom fab but you can always come up with something pretty close, as things change call them up and send them a copy of the changes to make sure they agree. No problems in the end (most of the time).

Quote:
Our company charges $108.00 per hour to operate. When we quote a project, or a custom parts order that will require "shop time" we factor in our operating rate. That rate has the following items included in it:

1. Power for the lights.
2. Consumables such as hand cleaner, shop rags, solvents, grease, packaging supplies, etc.
3. Coffee for the employees.
4. Paper for the quotes and postage for the invoices.
5. General assembly hardware not excluding bolts, washers, Loctite, fittings.
I dont include bolts and fittings in my shop rate, especially when i have dropped $200 plus on fittings alone for certain projects (high end turbo stuff). Everything else above though is included.

(Nevermind, i didnt see general assembly)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #228 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange02ss View Post
I could see charging for gas and supplies if the labor was free and you agreed they would cover cost (normally its included in the hourly rate). But i see a labor charge of $648, is that your labor or machine work?
Machine work needed. No charges for my or Pauls labor, even though he was on the clock all times you see him working.

Quote:
Although misc metal etc... you really need to be very specific,
More DOM when we ran out. Misc metal for gusseting the cage, trussing the axles, creating the steering box plate, and all that stuff.

Quote:
I dont include bolts and fittings in my shop rate, especially when i have dropped $200 plus on fittings alone for certain projects (high end turbo stuff). Everything else above though is included.
Anyone who builds their own rigs knows how much a trip to Ace or HD can be for bolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800 View Post
Wow! On top of your insane shop rate you charged him $221.88 for misc. shop supplies!!!
Actually kept track of sawzall blades. Cut off wheels, gas and wire in the welder, tips, sanding, wire wheels, ect. Sorry if you don't agree, but that's what there was.

Quote:
Then $300.00 for gas? Where did you drive? That Audi A4
Don't have an A4. But you really think the wife will let me go to the junkyard, South the Chris's for tires, North for a motor in the Audi? Common man.

Quote:
I know this is not how we run our shop, so I have to say I think your in the wrong......sorry
Ya your right. I should have never done anything for free. Or on a handshake.

Quote:
I don't know you so I don't want to hate but you make it hard with things like this......
Ya. Well... sorry. Why not go to a shop that doesn't do anything for anybody. Charges up the ... oh, and buy a jeep before you do. Then you'll fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouty View Post
Snoop,

I don't think showing an invoice is going to prove you are legit. Customer service is the name of the game,
Customer service is for customers. Rob and I were partners. Disfunctional partners, but partners all the same. I tried to accomidate him as much as I could. But you never here me complain about what he did wrong. Nope. Things happen, things happened. Do you really think that putting together a project like this was going to go smooth? Even if I was paid? Common man.

[/QUOTE]and it's something you earn, not prove. [/QUOTE]
Indeed.

Quote:
Considering I'm mechanically deficient, I've spent my fair share of cash on fabrication and rely on the expertise of the person I work with. Now if that person is not up front or takes my money and doesn't give me somthing in return in a reasonable amount of time, that person would never see another dime from me. As you know fabrication and specialized parts are not cheap, but 9 time out of 10, I would spend more with a person I know I can trust and stands behind his word. In a way you are lucky that you have chosen a business without a lot of competition and has a captive audience, so for now your lack of customer service hasn't been your downfall. But rest assured it will catch up with you. A word of advice, start focusing on the people that pay your bills, it just might help to restore your image.

Matt
Matt, your right. You're really right. But you have to understand that this was not a paid-for thing. Nobody paid me to do anything. I believe that if you're fab guy was giving you a freebee, you would be smart enough not complain ~ on top of being able to see the problems that arose, take responsibility for what you caused (if anything) and forgive things that couldn't be avoided. Think of the scope of this project. It wasn't a bumper. It wasn't putting a motor in ~ or building a cage. It was building a complete chassis.

How long has the t-case install taken on Mech's Fat build? I'm not pointing fingers, but its an honest question. How long? Mech has a job, he can't put every last second into his build ~ and it takes as long as it takes. Nobody's calling him a thief ~ and wont. I think we should ~ I mean, he isn't charging himself. (that's a joke guys)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
This makes me giggle a little bit...

You should really stop trying so hard to make it appear that you are not the bad guy in all situations. Just a simple review of your "invoice" would tell me that I would not want to do business with you.
I definately am the guy in the 'wrong' with GotIt. I'm not sur who he is, but if he's been waiting for bumpers as long as he has, then frankly ~ the shoe fits.

What makes me giggle is that guys are so happy to jump in with a 3-7 year old grudge and bang me for building this chassis for Tom. It cost what it cost and if you tried to build something to this scope, you'd honestly end up spending what I did. I worked to get people to donate things. I got a work-day organized to help. I did what I could. If you don't believe the numbers ~ it really doesn't matter. It cost what it cost.

What started out as a caged chassis w/ a custom suspension turned into something MUCH more. Sorry, its time to get over it. Do you really think the per-hour guy Rob is paying to finish up things really is going to do things cheaper?

Quote:
Consumables, and items such as fasteners, typically go into your "shop rate". They are items that are a necessity for you to operate a "shop". To charge labor, then consumables, and THEN gas on top of it to pick up your flowers, garden gnomes, and chicken shit for the garden at Lowes is not ethical
I agree....sort of. "Shop fee" is normally 3% total cost. And I've never seen Dezuse fasteners included in an hourly rate
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Anyone who builds their own rigs knows how much a trip to Ace or HD can be for bolts.
Ya we all know

Actually kept track of sawzall blades. Cut off wheels, gas and wire in the welder, tips, sanding, wire wheels, ect. Sorry if you don't agree, but that's what there was.
All part of the SHOP RATE

Don't have an A4. But you really think the wife will let me go to the junkyard, South the Chris's for tires, North for a motor in the Audi? Common man.
A6 then sorry dick!
My 2002 F350 on 38's will go 900 miles on two tanks SO WHERE DID YOU GO AGAIN???

Ya. Well... sorry. Why not go to a shop that doesn't do anything for anybody. Charges up the ... oh, and buy a jeep before you do. Then you'll fit in.
I dont get it? We do alot for people. I don't have a jeep...I fit in with hardcore wheelers not... er never mind you know who I am.

How long has the t-case install taken on Mech's Fat build? I'm not pointing fingers, but its an honest question. How long? Mech has a job, he can't put every last second into his build ~ and it takes as long as it takes. Nobody's calling him a thief ~ and wont. I think we should ~ I mean, he isn't charging himself. (that's a joke guys)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that his OWN PERSONAL RIG? Who the fuck cares how he works on his OWN RIG AFTER HIS 9-5 ???

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 10-30-2008 at 10:16 PM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 13731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
3. Coffee for the employees.
So I've read all this thread and all the bashing in the other thread and this one items has me all hung up! You mean your employees get coffee? Freakin' awesome!

Can't we all just get along? And have a cup of free freakin' coffee at HOS's workplace!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
uglyscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 37690
Send a message via Yahoo to blackrider
4.3 vortec/tbi,yota axles/dual cases,40's,
stauns,oba,4 linked,coilovers,zook tub
[COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]NotQuiteRight Wheelers[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Damien listen to HOS and others to get your business stuff in order for next time and take this black eye as a well earned lesson.

Bringing up somebody's private build for any kind of arguement is gay.

I havent attacked you or jumped on any bandwagon since I have never done business with you. However you really sound like a butthurt child right now, so man up with a quickness.

You have done wrong to some people here and be in 6 months or 6 years later they have every right to call you out until you and them make ammends.

I would have been pleased with the price tag of this build, and pissed at the time frame. However looking at those poorly done invoices I would have disputed almost 1/3 of the charges. Any misc. charge better have an explination by it or you can consider it a freeby.

Too many vendors dont care about the customer's time anymore. I have missed runs, had to buy airfare instead of drive, etc. since some dumbshit vendor cannot do what I paid him to do. We pay others some times to do what we don't have the time to do. If at the end I get that thing in the same timeframe I could have done it or later...I'm pissed and you owe me!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #233 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt that his OWN PERSONAL RIG? Who the fuck cares how he works on his OWN RIG AFTER HIS 9-5 ???
And I built this chassis after I made a living too. Holy crap man ~ I said it was a joke, you know A JOKE! Read the reply man, I was being sarcastic. People say I'm taking myself too seriously.

Anyway. Get things in writing, don't do anything for free, so that any shop supplies used are included in your labor and you don't need to put in another line item. Ya, I get it.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Spoke to Tom today, and am bringing this to the top so I can see what I paid D&C for. Tom has had the chassis sand blasted and now has it in his shop, I am curious to see the craftsmanship and what will be involved in bringing this chassis up to a standard that will pass Tech inspection.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
Spoke to Tom today, and am bringing this to the top so I can see what I paid D&C for. Tom has had the chassis sand blasted and now has it in his shop, I am curious to see the craftsmanship and what will be involved in bringing this chassis up to a standard that will pass Tech inspection.
I actually saw this chassi in person. It is a far cry from the 'modern' KoH inspired racers, but shouldn't be too hard to get teched. Interested in seeing what Tom does with this thing...

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #236 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Dan ~ this is NOT a KOH rig ~ not in the slightest. Its too long, too heavy, not enough ground clearance ~ not to mention several other things. Had it been a KOH rig, the design would have been SO much different it wouldn't even be funny. This build was completed over 3 years ago, and started 4-5 years ago. This is no KOH rig.

Think about it; Where was KOH then? 4-5 years ago KOH was simply an idea, barely carried out. As KOH became popular, and as RockRace events replaced RockCrawl events, there was a huge evolution to the 'modern' buggies see today. Look back on this thread ~ The simple fact that we trussed the BOTTOM of the axles is a key to understanding that this is not a KOH-bred rig. Nor is it a crawler ~ it was built for jumps at high speeds. Not crawling, not even to see a rock over the size of your foot! So to compare it to them, is kind of rediculous. There is no comparison.

Had it been, I would have shortened it rather than lengthened it, I would have stretched the wheelbase as far as the frame would let me ~ not build it to keep stock sheet metal. Narrowed it, used smaller tubing, WAY different link designs. More belly clearance, while retaining its hieght, as well as several other things that I won't even touch on here. This is a 'tough-truck' style racer. Desert or dirt-track. NO rocks, NO drop-offs (unless its flying over them) and all that.

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Look back on this thread ~ The simple fact that we trussed the BOTTOM of the axles is a key to understanding that this is not a KOH-bred rig. Nor is it a crawler ~ it was built for jumps at high speeds. Not crawling, not even to see a rock over the size of your foot! So to compare it to them, is kind of rediculous. There is no comparison.
Yep, not a KOH type rig. That would involve too many go-slow compromises.

The rear axle is trussed under the axle, but the front still needs trussed - and I'm still thinking of going under, if for no other reason, than there isn't room on top.

As to the other ground clearance, the trailing arms sit low enough, with the "roller" tires, that my push broom clears, but I have to hold it pretty flat.

Quote:
Had it been, I would have shortened it rather than lengthened it, I would have stretched the wheelbase as far as the frame would let me ~ not build it to keep stock sheet metal. Narrowed it, used smaller tubing, WAY different link designs. More belly clearance, while retaining its hieght, as well as several other things that I won't even touch on here. This is a 'tough-truck' style racer. Desert or dirt-track. NO rocks, NO drop-offs (unless its flying over them) and all that.
Even the 114" WB it's at is shorter than Pro2 trucks, and I think it'd still be plenty short enough for just about anything.

You may recall the suspension is limited by the driveshafts, and moving the engine back and then lengthening the wheel base helped get it to where the front and rear shafts are nearly the same length (IIRC they should be 2" off) and the driveshafts are capable of 16" of travel from horizontal, thanks to being that long. The rear should yield more travel only because you cut the frame so it can come up above "flat."

Now, on to the sand blast..

Last week.

And this afternoon and $350 later.

All of the pictures

I'm still going through all of the pictures I took.

The IH welders did a poor job on the frame seam and it needs gone back over.

There are numerous spots where a bracket or tab was removed and some of the parent metal was damaged - it really shows up nicely after blasting. I will need to weld up the low spots and grind it back down.

One on the front is worse and appears to be weeping a little.

There were a few spots where either it was too difficult to get to, or someone just forgot to come back to it, but welds were missing.

Other spots where the blasting reveals everything is just fine.

A lot of white metal.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #238 (permalink)

Member # 121943
Who blasted it Tom?
64rcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64rcs View Post
Who blasted it Tom?
Doug Abelin. I know him through CTVRA, the motorbike and ATV club. He's portable, if you need him to be, but you can see the pile of sand he has in his field - and I'd rather it be in his field than mine. Fortunately, he lives about 1/4 mile from me, so after I flat-towed across my field, I snuck down the dirt road to Tyler's house, made a left, and went about as far up the far side of Applegate as Tyler is on the near side, and there I was.

It was close enough that I didn't destroy a rear tire - one of the links fell out (no bolt) when I was doing a suspension test last fall, and I had just wired it up - well, the first good turn sent the linked rear end walking sideways until the tire's inner sidewall hit the air bump can and stopped it.

Thus, the ratchet strap on the return trip to keep the axle somewhat centered long enough to get home.

$95/hr.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Tom, clean out your PM box...

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #241 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
Tom, clean out your PM box...
Done. Lance keeps sending me these weekly announcements about PirateTV and such...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Definately time for a new thread...

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #243 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
Definately time for a new thread...
x10.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Done. Lance keeps sending me these weekly announcements about PirateTV and such...
Ya we are paying for the PM SPAM
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #245 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Doesn't need a new thread, just all the crap about a page or two cut out.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #246 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I'm going to acknowledge a few things that may piss a couple people off. May not. I guess we'll see ~ but its not my intention, and I hope you can see what I'm saying, rather than focus on what I'm not.

You know Tom, I can't tell you how pleased I am that you're doing something with that chassis. I don't think you know how many hours I put into building it. I didn't charge for any of my time ~ or even the time my paid employees put into it ~ rather, I really tried to hand you something you could use.

Now, I know there were hard feelings about how long it took me to build it (about a year ~ RMIHR 07 to RMIHR 08) ~ and I acquired a new enemy for it. Then after all that stuff about how long it took me, I couldn't help but laugh when it was left to sit for the last 3 years rusting in a field ~ all the while I caught and keep catching flack from my new 'buddy'.

But I have to say, that I'm quite pleased that you're doing something with it. I have literally hundreds of hours into it. The project was quite an undertaking on many different fronts. It was truly a pain in my butt, I've stewed over ill feelings of the participants of this build. And I've come to the conclusion that I'll never do anything like this again. While it promised to be a great opportunity at its inception, all added up, its only caused me grief. Had I the foresight to see how it was going to end up (the whole rob-n-I thing), I probably wouldn't have done it.

But I'm honestly, glad I didn't have that foresight. I'm glad I was able to help a little. I hope that you put the chassis to use sometime. You're a good man. I only hope that I was able to help, in some small way. I sincerely wish you good luck with the remainder of the build. There were so many things done that were a first for me. Moving the motor back to get better weight and balance ~ I'm excited to see how that works out. There are so many positives that this build brings that I have decided to put my differences with the other guy aside, and simply look forward with hopeful anticipation.

Truly, good luck.

Now for some mistakes. Am I correct understanding there was 2 welds missed? They both seem to be the ones at the end of the stock frame going up to the shock hoops. Is that correct? I'm sorry I missed a couple welds near the old floor support. I'm sure that wasn't on purpose, rather we we simply skipped them for later ~ then missed them trying to wrap it up so quickly. For that I'm sorry. I really tried to get all the welds the best I could. But as you look over all the welds, I'm sure you realize there were quite a few of them, and I thought I was under a deadline for towing it back.

Regardless, if there are mistakes, forgive me. The chassis was FAR from perfect, nor was it meant to be a 'finished' product when my phase was done. I truly wish you well on its completion. I look forward to seeing it finished, and seeing you race the piss out of it.

Its time for bed for me,
Damian
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 11798
Send a message via AIM to scoutkid
Quote:
I really tried to get all the welds the best I could.

If any of the welders at my work EVER said this to a customer? Gone. I understand there is a lot of tube, and a lot of joints. But I have also seen how Tom drives, let's just say 'aggressively'.

Putting 100's of hours into a project is great - if they are quality hours. Looks like this one needed 100's + 15 mins.

But thanks for the new sig line!
scoutkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #248 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
'Aggressively' ~

Sig Line ~ now that's hilarious ~ and you're right, it is a good one ~ looking at it like that.

Poke and nit-pick all you want. It really doesn't matter to me. I did everything I could to help someone I consider a respectable and deserving guy. Both Rob and I did. When I look back on it, I sometimes wish I didn't, but I'm glad I did. I'm certainly not going to do it again. At the end of the day, TOM is the guy I was hoping to help, and despite your ridicule I think he was helped.

I've already agreed to withdraw any claims/rights to sponsorship 'stickers' or markings if Tom could keep Rob quiet on the forums. I think ya'll know that didn't work ~ I mean, look at the post that brought this thread back up! It was Rob, being his normal sarcastic self about 'seeing what he paid for' ~ too funny. If his before comments weren't enough, now I have rights to put my stickers all over this rig. But I won't. I forsook this rig even before it was picked up 3ish years ago. I'm sure Tom has the email or conversation still in his mind.

I simply leave it to Tom. I believe HE is a man of his word. I believe he'll give credit when credit is due. I could care less if he boldly proclaims "D&C did the suspension and tube work'. Heck! if he said 'Damian helped with the suspension and tube work' ~ I'd be happy. If he doesn't, well sad as it is, it makes little difference to me (And you'll all see why soon enough)

I've got 3 pre-teens ~ actually in a week I'll have 2 pre-teens and 1 teenager, and I'm all to familiar with ingratitude. And though it pisses me off, I'm big enough (have you seen my tummy) to let it go and realize I did what I could to help. It never was supposed to be a end-all fix or 'completed rig' ~ I was there to help, and the help was accepted. Take it or leave it. In this thread, there are no customers, just some good-old-fashion one guy trying to help another. Weather or not fame and fortune comes of it, makes little difference in the grand scheme of things.

So to Tom, I'm glad I took the opportunity to help. I hope it was a help to you. If not; I'm sorry. As said, I did what I could, as well as I could. I sincerely wish you the best in your racing.

To Rob(ert) ~ And I'm being Serious; Your the nicest guy ~ I wish I never met. And by that I mean, ask anyone ~ you're a great guy. You showed me hospitality when I was up there. Fed me, housed me, you even flew me up and back with your ninja discounts with the airlines. I REALLY appreciate you helping me help Tom. I also appreciate the time and money it took to facilitate me while I was up there. You did that without a hint of complaint or of my asking. Its just the kind of guy you are. Look at this rig guys. NONE of it could have happened without Robert. HE paid for the parts, materials, and gas to drive all over Timbuktu to get it together. We went from Colorado Springs to DURANGO to pick up the chassis. We drove all over the front range for the motor and various little parts that went into this. I drove north of denver where I got the seats. ALL OF THIS was because ROBERT had our backs. He deserves much more credit for this build than I think most of you realize. Back to my point: Unfortunately things happened between us that turned us into 'enemies' ~ and that's the only reason why I wish I never 'met' you. Had I not, I would simply think your a great guy by your posts, and wouldn't think anything else. Regardless of what happened, I'm still glad we got together for Tom' sake. And I'm still pulling for him to bring home some 'golds' ~ as I'm sure, are you.

Fair enough. I said my peace.

Warmest regards and all that crap.
D

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-18-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #249 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Quote:
I'm going to acknowledge a few things that may piss a couple people off. May not. I guess we'll see ~ but its not my intention, and I hope you can see what I'm saying, rather than focus on what I'm not.

You know Tom, I can't tell you how pleased I am that you're doing something with that chassis. I don't think you know how many hours I put into building it. I didn't charge for any of my time ~ or even the time my paid employees put into it ~ rather, I really tried to hand you something you could use.

Now, I know there were hard feelings about how long it took me to build it (about a year ~ RMIHR 07 to RMIHR 08) ~ and I acquired a new enemy for it. Then after all that stuff about how long it took me, I couldn't help but laugh when it was left to sit for the last 3 years rusting in a field ~ all the while I caught and keep catching flack from my new 'buddy'.

But I have to say, that I'm quite pleased that you're doing something with it. I have literally hundreds of hours into it. The project was quite an undertaking on many different fronts. It was truly a pain in my butt, I've stewed over ill feelings of the participants of this build. And I've come to the conclusion that I'll never do anything like this again. While it promised to be a great opportunity at its inception, all added up, its only caused me grief. Had I the foresight to see how it was going to end up (the whole rob-n-I thing), I probably wouldn't have done it.

But I'm honestly, glad I didn't have that foresight. I'm glad I was able to help a little. I hope that you put the chassis to use sometime. You're a good man. I only hope that I was able to help, in some small way. I sincerely wish you good luck with the remainder of the build. There were so many things done that were a first for me. Moving the motor back to get better weight and balance ~ I'm excited to see how that works out. There are so many positives that this build brings that I have decided to put my differences with the other guy aside, and simply look forward with hopeful anticipation.

Truly, good luck.

Now for some mistakes. Am I correct understanding there was 2 welds missed? They both seem to be the ones at the end of the stock frame going up to the shock hoops. Is that correct? I'm sorry I missed a couple welds near the old floor support. I'm sure that wasn't on purpose, rather we we simply skipped them for later ~ then missed them trying to wrap it up so quickly. For that I'm sorry. I really tried to get all the welds the best I could. But as you look over all the welds, I'm sure you realize there were quite a few of them, and I thought I was under a deadline for towing it back.

Regardless, if there are mistakes, forgive me. The chassis was FAR from perfect, nor was it meant to be a 'finished' product when my phase was done. I truly wish you well on its completion. I look forward to seeing it finished, and seeing you race the piss out of it.

Its time for bed for me,
Damian
Quote:
'Aggressively' ~

Sig Line ~ now that's hilarious ~ and you're right, it is a good one ~ looking at it like that.

Poke and nit-pick all you want. It really doesn't matter to me. I did everything I could to help someone I consider a respectable and deserving guy. Both Rob and I did. When I look back on it, I sometimes wish I didn't, but I'm glad I did. I'm certainly not going to do it again. At the end of the day, TOM is the guy I was hoping to help, and despite your ridicule I think he was helped.

I've already agreed to withdraw any claims/rights to sponsorship 'stickers' or markings if Tom could keep Rob quiet on the forums. I think ya'll know that didn't work ~ I mean, look at the post that brought this thread back up! It was Rob, being his normal sarcastic self about 'seeing what he paid for' ~ too funny. If his before comments weren't enough, now I have rights to put my stickers all over this rig. But I won't. I forsook this rig even before it was picked up 3ish years ago. I'm sure Tom has the email or conversation still in his mind.

I simply leave it to Tom. I believe HE is a man of his word. I believe he'll give credit when credit is due. I could care less if he boldly proclaims "D&C did the suspension and tube work'. Heck! if he said 'Damian helped with the suspension and tube work' ~ I'd be happy. If he doesn't, well sad as it is, it makes little difference to me (And you'll all see why soon enough)

I've got 3 pre-teens ~ actually in a week I'll have 2 pre-teens and 1 teenager, and I'm all to familiar with ingratitude. And though it pisses me off, I'm big enough (have you seen my tummy) to let it go and realize I did what I could to help. It never was supposed to be a end-all fix or 'completed rig' ~ I was there to help, and the help was accepted. Take it or leave it. In this thread, there are no customers, just some good-old-fashion one guy trying to help another. Weather or not fame and fortune comes of it, makes little difference in the grand scheme of things.

So to Tom, I'm glad I took the opportunity to help. I hope it was a help to you. If not; I'm sorry. As said, I did what I could, as well as I could. I sincerely wish you the best in your racing.

To Rob(ert) ~ And I'm being Serious; Your the nicest guy ~ I wish I never met. And by that I mean, ask anyone ~ you're a great guy. You showed me hospitality when I was up there. Fed me, housed me, you even flew me up and back with your ninja discounts with the airlines. I REALLY appreciate you helping me help Tom. I also appreciate the time and money it took to facilitate me while I was up there. Unfortunately things happened between us that turned us into 'enemies' ~ and that's why I wish I never 'met' you. Had I not, I would simply think your a great guy by your posts, and wouldn't think anything else. Regardless, I'm still glad we got together for Tom' sake. And I'm still pulling for him to bring home some 'golds' ~ as I'm sure, are you.

Fair enough. I said my peace.
You just never know when to shut the fuck up do you

Its been shown here time and time again that you are a self serving bullshitting, truth twisting, egomanic. Its also entertaining to sit back and read your bullshit when I don't have a dog in the fight. At least it appears you aren't ripping any of us off here anymore, I feel sorry for the nitwits that still fall into the trap of giving you money to build stuff. PT Barnum said "Theres a sucker born every minute" and you always seem to find another one.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Quote:
Just to re-iterate, the point about the missed completion date vs how long it's taken me to get anything done to it are related.

If the chassis was done and in my hands somewhere around the original timeline, it might well be on it's second or third race season at this point.

I had about a 1 year window to get it done before I wouldn't have time for a while, and collectively we missed that window.

After a few delays on mine and Robert's part on getting it over to me, it showed up in November at my place, just before the snow hit.

January my daughter was born. 9 months after that, the system I had been building for 5+ years at work went into production, so those 9 months leading up to it were frantic at work, and frantic at home with a newborn, and then the various adjustments and fine tuning to the system followed after that.

The "day job and daddy job" stuff delayed my tonsillectomy over a year, too.

The original timeline would've given me a year to get stuff done before daughter #2 + work would consume my spare time for a while.

Thus, it has sat languishing in my field (to everyone's delight, including my neighbors) because I missed the window.

Heck, I missed a lot of wheeling opportunities over the same time period because my trail rig required some attention that I couldn't give it, and my racing time disappeared, too.

Last year, I had the racer out twice. Once in March, and once in October, when I rolled it.

Everything BUT the new racer has been going on around here, but now I'm back to having some time available now and then and here we are, plodding along.

Quote:
There were so many things done that were a first for me. Moving the motor back to get better weight and balance ~ I'm excited to see how that works out. There are so many positives that this build brings that I have decided to put my differences with the other guy aside, and simply look forward with hopeful anticipation.
That was sort of the plan - a chance to try out a few new things, do something that hadn't really been done on a Scout before, and learn along the way.

Little Devil served that purpose for me when I first built it. My first SOA, my first reverse shackle, my first extreme motor (built for me, but with my input) and so on.

Sadly, technology has caught up and passed us while it's sat rusting in my field, but this should still be a step up from before.

Quote:
Now for some mistakes. Am I correct understanding there was 2 welds missed? They both seem to be the ones at the end of the stock frame going up to the shock hoops. Is that correct? I'm sorry I missed a couple welds near the old floor support. I'm sure that wasn't on purpose, rather we we simply skipped them for later ~ then missed them trying to wrap it up so quickly. For that I'm sorry.
Both sides where the upper "L" comes down to meet the frame, at about the B body mount, are only half welded.

Also, both stand-offs under the A pillar for the body mounts are only half welded.

Both would fail tech inspection if they don't get finished up, while the "B" welds are of an actual concern, since that's part of the rear sub-frame strength.

A few other spots were cold, or put down beautifully but missed the joint. I didn't make it back to the blaster before he put it back down on the ground, so I didn't get to see everything he noticed.

For the most part, the welds looks fine.

I also now plan to weld the seam on the "frame sleeves" - I'm sure it would hold up just fine as is, but it looks like a bucket to catch crud inside of and rust the frame apart when I'm not looking.

With the floors out, it shouldn't be too hard to get to.

Making the floors removable, means I can get to some of this stuff should metal fatigue set it in and tear something up.

A lot of this wouldn't have come to light if I hadn't had it blasted and someone else was looking UNDER the chassis with it on it's side.

The gouges in the axle tubes and frame are something that's easily missed with a painted frame, or just factory grime.

Quote:
Regardless, if there are mistakes, forgive me. The chassis was FAR from perfect, nor was it meant to be a 'finished' product when my phase was done.
I knew "some assembly required" though if Doug hadn't caught the missed welds, or banged up the floor when flipping it over, I probably would not have noticed the missed welds, so I'm glad he noticed and made a point of telling me (Doug has been around the block a few times, and while visiting when dropping off/picking up, found out he's raced the Parker 425 a few times "back in the day" and knows Parnelli Jones and others)

Quote:
I truly wish you well on its completion. I look forward to seeing it finished, and seeing you race the piss out of it.
Thanks, Damian.

I'm sure it's still a long ways off.

I haven't set a target date yet, which in some ways is good - I'm not in a rush to hurry it, but OTOH, things take longer when I'm not under a deadline.

Out with the old..

In with the new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in