Fresh Meat ~ a Scout Racer Build. - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #251 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Just to re-iterate, the point about the missed completion date vs how long it's taken me to get anything done to it are related.
Like I said Tom, I'm not here to argue. Back when we first started disagreeing about the racer, the time, the money... I posted here that I'll write and assume that its my fault, and I'm not trying to pass the buck to anyone else. If the chasis was done, if the payments were made ~ who cares. All in the distant past and frankly, I don't see the need to regurgitate the details. I'm just happy to have been apart of it, and hope you're better off for my part than not.

Quote:
Sadly, technology has caught up and passed us while it's sat rusting in my field, but this should still be a step up from before.
Indeed. Tech has gone forward, but luckily, not too far forward. With your skills in the seat, and with the backing of the community at large, I picture a bright future for you.

Quote:
Both sides where the upper "L" comes down to meet the frame, at about the B body mount, are only half welded.
That's what I saw too.

Quote:
Also, both stand-offs under the A pillar for the body mounts are only half welded.
Okay, here is why I didn't connect those joints. Namely, the stock body mount doesn't stick out enough to give you good leg room. I was thinking a big plate, then a big plate and some angle to strengthen it, but honestly, if I were to do this again, I would cut out the stock body mount on the frame, sandwich the floor with a cage foot under it, then take TWO pieces of tube and run from the lower cage foot to the frame. Kinda like this:

Quote:
I also now plan to weld the seam on the "frame sleeves" - I'm sure it would hold up just fine as is, but it looks like a bucket to catch crud inside of and rust the frame apart when I'm not looking.
I do not seam weld them on purpose ~ realizing what you said before hand. May I suggest simply sealing the un-welded parts of the stitch. The reason I say that is we all know how welds can be hot or cold. To cold, no penetration. To hot, and the penetration can be so deep, that the welder may not adequately fill causing weak areas.

The problem lies in the fact that the sleeve is 1/4" thick, while the frame is 1/8" at best. To get the heat right for both sizes is tricky, if you turn it up hot enough for the sleeve, then you may be too hot for the frame. So, to keep the frame's integrity, I set the welder for 3/16" thick and carefully watch for proper heat. In case I was too hot, I stitch so that there are areas of the frame that are full-thickness Considering how much linear welding that holds the suspension on, even your old race truck, I think we're safe to say that the sleeves are secure. If all your worried about is rust, simply seem-seal the sleeves.

Quote:
Making the floors removable, means I can get to some of this stuff should metal fatigue set it in and tear something up.
Ya, I had no qualms cutting that chassis up. It was a rusty piece. I didn't touch the floors (at least from what I remember) so what you have there is the work of the chassis's previous owner.

Quote:
I knew "some assembly required" though if Doug hadn't caught the missed welds, or banged up the floor when flipping it over, I probably would not have noticed the missed welds, so I'm glad he noticed and made a point of telling me (Doug has been around the block a few times, and while visiting when dropping off/picking up, found out he's raced the Parker 425 a few times "back in the day" and knows Parnelli Jones and others)
I'm glad he saw them too. I simply missed them in the rush for getting it ready for Rob's pickup at RMIHR 08. It was my bad completely.

Quote:
Thanks, Damian.

I'm sure it's still a long ways off.
Honestly, I did the easy stuff. What you have to do is the hard stuff. At the end of the day, I'm just glad I was able to help.
Quote:
In with the new.

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-18-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Okay, here is why I didn't connect those joints. Namely, the stock body mount doesn't stick out enough to give you good leg room. I was thinking a big plate, then a big plate and some angle to strengthen it, but honestly, if I were to do this again, I would cut out the stock body mount on the frame, sandwich the floor with a cage foot under it, then take TWO pieces of tube and run from the lower cage foot to the frame. Kinda like this:
I don't like any of the ideas that have come to mind thus far.

Two tubes off the frame to catch the cage mount is about the best I've come up with, but the engineering still sucks. The force will lever the frame and tear the face of the frame off. There is no smooth transition down to the top of the frame rail to be had, working from the outside in.

I do want to figure something out to connect the A hoop with the frame, on the outside, and make the body mount stuff worth while.

Barring that, I'll attach to the A pillar to help hold the body up, and then run a center-windshield-bar (or pair of "V" bars) straight down to the frame to be the "A" frame tie-in.

Quote:
I do not seam weld them on purpose ~ realizing what you said before hand. May I suggest simply sealing the un-welded parts of the stitch. If all your worried about is rust, simply seem-seal the sleeves.
I've never had a reason to fool with seam sealer.. hmm..

Quote:
Considering how much linear welding that holds the suspension on, even your old race truck, I think we're safe to say that the sleeves are secure.
I keep wondering that with my tow rig. I waffle between just throwing leaf spring hangers on and hang the 60, or weld the radius arm brackets and link it.. but then get nervous about welding to the cast Dana 60 center, and all of the things "riding on" those welds (including the 4 occupants of the truck, the racer, the camper, and everything else).. but then, the leaf spring setup (like my old racer) has pretty minimal welding involved vs the larger area of a link mount.

Quote:
Ya, I had no qualms cutting that chassis up. It was a rusty piece. I didn't touch the floors (at least from what I remember) so what you have there is the work of the chassis's previous owner.
At least the FG quarters won't rust..

Quote:
Honestly, I did the easy stuff. What you have to do is the hard stuff. At the end of the day, I'm just glad I was able to help.
I did pick up one of the Mastercool hydraulic flaring tools over the last year, knowing I had to completely plumb this thing - along with everything else.

I need to get the engine together so I can focus on the rest.

I think I'll have to take time out from the new chassis to work on the old one - the steering box was exposed to the elements for a while, and then got sand in it during the blasting.

Little Devil has a good box.

And radiator. A column w/o sand in it (and bent wheel that adds character). The air bumps that need pulled, shifter, a straight tie-rod to replace the bent one, and so on.

Then I'll have to call Mike to come haul away some crush tonnage... *sniff*
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I just brought this back up to see how the build will proceed, I have a pile of cash invested and would love to the racer done. How about we leave the DRAMA out. This is about a doing a good thing for the IH community not for profit, enough said lets see a racer come together.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
I just brought this back up to see how the build will proceed, I have a pile of cash invested and would love to the racer done. How about we leave the DRAMA out. This is about a doing a good thing for the IH community not for profit, enough said lets see a racer come together.
Great idea!!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #255 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Drama, I think it all been said! and moving right along.

Can we re-name this project ghost rider. Looking at the sand blasted frame in the garage looks like a ghost to me.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 15469
Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #257 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Great idea!!
All the more reasons why it deserves a new thread
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in