Fresh Meat ~ a Scout Racer Build. - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
Got a few minutes..

Cage was just hanging out for a bit, but I finally got to put some work into it.


The outer section worked out good ~ took a CRAPLOAD of flapper-wheel work to get the notches just right ~ landing on the curve wasn't the best idea.


Middle X started.


...more...


Welding it up


Sweet ~ it holds Pauls hand up, its gotta be strong enough..


And with that, I'm outta time...more coming.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
A little more.

Here's our junkyard 9-inch. I was pleased to find a 78 F150 that was clean, straight and without anything taken yet and saw this rather clean 9-inch. You know, I went to the 'cheap' junkyard (sells any axle for $99 regardless of what it is) to pick this up trying to save a buck on the build. Turns out that they now charge for the drums AND a core charge for the axle

At least its in good shape.

Even with ~ freakin thing was dirty. Luckily not as much goopy stuff, but it did cover me is silt.


Swept & pulled the 'new' axle under the chassis

~ Here's another pet peave. Why is it I can take a freakin wire wheel to the whole frame and most of what's left of the body and still get misc crap covering the ground under the scout?

Pulled out the axle dolley to help move the axle around.


Test fitted the truss ~ made sure it'll fit.



Welded on the lower link mounts. I put them below the axle centerline ~ Normally I wouldn't do this, but this time I did to keep the joint-to-mount 'deflection' to nothing.


Pinion angles a little high, but looks pretty good.


Since the axle was in, I was able to get the end-all wheel base. It'll be about 116.5" ~ should make for a comfy and stable ride.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2071
Location: Helena, MT USA
Posts: 5,084
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
So why not solid mount the power train like on real race trucks?
Good enough for 852 = good enough for me?

Hadn't really occurred to me. I have this far that solid mounting leads to fatigue failure from vibrations, but I have nothing solid to back that up.

When will that race-glass be ready?

Quote:
Also, your gonna want to build some sort of skin for the lower tubes. The trophy ranger has .120 chromoly links and after 500 miles of pre-running they looked awful. No failures but it has since been beefed up.
Looked awful as in - dings from rocks and such?

As Damian alluded, I was thinking of taking a length of 2.25x.120 and slice it in half, and just sleeve the bottom half of the lower tube, making the bottom 1/4" thick and adding tons of strength.

On the weight.. the old car is 3800lbs. It has a lot of interior sheetmetal, and the cage is (dare I say it) Sch40 in many places - heavier and weaker than the DOM being used.

I suspect the new one will be heavier when we're done, with extra rollcage, the extra wheelbase, and other upgrades, though I hope it won't be much more than the current 3800lbs mark. An LS1 would sure help with that, but it'd take away some of the charm (huh?!).

Since the new car wasn't ready in time, I had to go flog the old one today.



Only good enough for 2nd place in the Comp-Mod obstacle, while I was seriously outgunned in the baja even before I threw the power steering belt and then melted the shifter cable on the headers and got stuck in 1st gear. I have a hard enough time competing with 460-Ford Class 8 trucks when the Scout is at 100%, let alone handicapped. Hopefully that'll change with this new chassis.

Motor's doing fine though. Rings have done some seating.

My arms hurt, and I haven't slept much this past week (loaned my trailer out a week ago, it came back broken, so it had to be fixed AND the car prepped with things like assembling and installing the engine..), so it must be time to turn in for the night.
__________________
-Tom
KE7VUX

Last edited by tsm1mt; 03-15-2008 at 10:46 PM.
tsm1mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 1956
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
I want to divide it up such that if you add up the corners, it equals the wieght of the whole vehicle

But really. I don't have any 'goals' per say. I'm moving the engine back completely behind the front axle ~ moving the radiator as well. lightening it up as much as possible and if needed, wieghing down the back a touch with spare tires and such. With stretching the rear axle back and moving the front axle forward, I'm really not sure what the net effect will be. I'm sure it'll fly better than stock ~ how much? Don't know.

Any ideas before I make engine placement permanent? Anyone?
Work on corner balance and put as much as possible between the axles and low as possible too. Just doing that will make the truck feel way lighter to steering input. Much more nimble and controlled. It won't feel like a Scout.

If I were to do one, the trans would be separate from the engine and far back as possible. With engine plates, an easy task.

Also since this rig will really be flying low, do you have an oil Accumulator since you have no dry sump?

You know on my rig, I only have an 300# difference between the front and rear axle weights with a 1/4 tank fuel, the 8274 on the front and with driver.
__________________
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself!

Last edited by Shadow man; 03-16-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #80 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Good enough for 852 = good enough for me?
Diva-la-Mandera! ~ you know, I may just have to make a sticker that says that ~ that is, if it means 'Mandera the Diva'

Quote:
Hadn't really occurred to me. I have this far that solid mounting leads to fatigue failure from vibrations, but I have nothing solid to back that up.
Mike was good enough to sponser us, and they've been really good for you before, so my thought is to keep them. What's the downside of having good urethane RPT mounts? I'm not sure the chassis vibrations will be bad, but I know they may be annoying ~ expectially as the engine sees the next few years abuse and starts vibrating more.

Quote:
When will that race-glass be ready?
OH TELL ME we're getting some quarters soon. I've got the rear end mocked up and trussed and I was just thinking how nice it'd be to have some quarters to build the rear cage work around.

Quote:
On the weight.. the old car is 3800lbs....I suspect the new one will be heavier when we're done, with extra rollcage, the extra wheelbase, and other upgrades, though I hope it won't be much more than the current 3800lbs mark.
I'd like to see as close to that as possible. I wish we had $$ for aluminum links, but still, as close to that as possible (emphasis on lower).

Quote:
An LS1 would sure help with that, but it'd take away some of the charm (huh?!).
Indeed. We could put a LS1 in there ~ and a narrowed Jeep liberty front clip and call it a 'jeep' RockRacer!

Quote:
Since the new car wasn't ready in time, I had to go flog the old one today.

Quote:
Great picture. Nothing like beating a rig and capuring it on video/camera. You seem to have a knack of capturing that angle makes me think ~ 'we'll need more tubing'. Can't amagine what got you in that position, but link me the video when you get the chance ~ I wanna see!

Quote:
Only good enough for 2nd place in the Comp-Mod obstacle, while I was seriously outgunned in the baja even before I threw the power steering belt and then melted the shifter cable on the headers and got stuck in 1st gear. I have a hard enough time competing with 460-Ford Class 8 trucks when the Scout is at 100%, let alone handicapped. Hopefully that'll change with this new chassis.
Your up against a 460 with an IH304? Holy crap man, time to get that 392 built! It may not rev as high as the 304 but it'll build power sooner.

Quote:
Motor's doing fine though. Rings have done some seating.
Great to know.
Quote:
loaned my trailer out a week ago, it came back broken
Dude I hate that. When I borrow stuff, if it breaks, I take care of it. People who don't make me mad. My buddy barrowed my trailer once and brought it back with no wiring ~ turns out he didn't make sure the wirirng wasn't rubbing the ground while in motion and the whole thing got trashed. I made him replace it ~ never was 100% after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Work on corner balance and put as much as possible between the axles and low as possible too. Just doing that will make the truck feel way lighter to steering input. Much more nimble and controlled. It won't feel like a Scout.
Moving the motor back as much as we are should push allot of wieght to what is currently looking like a weight-free rear end. Not sure how much to put back there but I'm thinking the front should be a little heavier but not much.

Quote:
If I were to do one, the trans would be separate from the engine and far back as possible. With engine plates, an easy task.
Where would you put the transfercase and how would you deal with the short rear driveshaft?

Quote:
Also since this rig will really be flying low, do you have an oil Accumulator since you have no dry sump?
Mmmn... Accumulator. Hey Mr Race guy ~ got one to lend out?

Quote:
You know on my rig, I only have an 300# difference between the front and rear axle weights with a 1/4 tank fuel, the 8274 on the front and with driver.
How did you acheive that ~ besides going with a chevy mill.

Last edited by Snoopy; 03-16-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #81 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
We last saw our hero rescueing a damsel in distress...

Oh ~ sorry, wrong alter-ego

Well it was time to center the axle under the frame and install the rear upper links. Normally they are tapped 1.75 x .281" DOM ~ this time they're 1.75" DOM with weld-in bungs to save weight.


Couple more vies.



Then we were robbed.

(no rear frame)

After confirming the truss was centered and such, we gusseted it back to the housing. The nice thing about Ford 9-inch axles is that they're steel, so you can weld to any part of them.


Gussets from the truss to the top of the tube via bumper drops.


Top trussing done.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #82 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
A bit ago, Tom told me a story about a string ~ push the string, pull the string ~ Something about a string. We started the conversation with trussing and how he wanted the bottom of the axle trussed so I figured the string was a medifor (sp) for life and family.

With that, we put the axle on its lid


Broke out some long cardboard.


Made pictures with chalk ~ (Ahem...soapstone)

The metal used was 2x3 box (3/16" thick) what we use for our Signature Sliders. It seemed to be in supply, and more importantly fit the contour we were trying to gusset.

So with a little bit of cutting with the plasma, some grinding with a well-used flapper wheel, and a whole lot of dust and patience.


Then more of the same...

I'm telling you folks. With all the consumables I've been using on this beast, I wouldn't be surprised at all if I used well over $100 in JUST consumables ~ you know, cut-off wheels, plasma tips/electrodes, welding tips, grinding wheels, flapper wheels, and sanding wheels. Luckily, the wire brush seems to be holding up like a champ. Its almost like they're made of metal!

Then after what seemed to be an eternity of welding, then letting it cool, then welding, the letting it cool, then....well, you get the picture. The axle assembly wieghed in at close to a billion pounds, but was ready to be put back into the chassis.

From the back


Side(ish)


Back on the jackstands.


Ok Tom. We need a few things here. I need some measurements. I want to know how much room (in inches please) between your current frame rail (bottom of) and the axle (top of). Since we are going with 35s on this beast, and you currently run 31s, lets figure out how much room you want. Please, include what you currently have, and what you want.

Second, I'm going to need to mock up the steering so I need knuckles, spindles (have them), wheelbearings and hubs (if possible) so I can put this thing together. I want to set up the trackbar up front AND the HySteer ~ getting that finalized.

I'd also like to get some 35s (most likely from a local guy) so that I can put the front fenders/clip on and mock up the engine cage and fender mounts/tabs as well ~ wouldn't want to trim the fenders wrong or put a piece of tube where the tires are going to be.

I will also be needing some quarterpanels to mock up the rear tube work. As you can see, the rear frame is gone. I may be loosing more of it, but I didn't want to cut before the crossmember until I made another to make sure nothing moves.

Sidenotes:
1) Cutting the rear frame off was great, lots of room to move in the shop (spelled 'g-a-r-a-g-e') now.

2) Please also note that while I was working on the rear axle, Tom was out having fun 'racing' (you have to picture me making quotation marks with my fingers while you say 'racing' ~ it adds an element of sarcasm that wouldn't be there otherwise ~ of course, I'm just poking fun at Tom ~ but still, get the full effect and imagine it).

3) Also notice that the garage was open with daylight making pictures hard at first, and now the door is closed, its snowing and there is no sign of daylight outside the garage-door windows. Just another Saturday at the Grihalva home.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #83 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
Scratch that ~ I just searched and found a measurements thread I posted a few years ago with Rusty.

Last edited by Snoopy; 03-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2071
Location: Helena, MT USA
Posts: 5,084
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Great picture. Nothing like beating a rig and capuring it on video/camera. You seem to have a knack of capturing that angle makes me think ~ 'we'll need more tubing'. Can't amagine what got you in that position, but link me the video when you get the chance ~ I wanna see!
There was supposed to be an S turn at that point in the course, but they didn't mark it as such, it was marked "wide" - so you could zig zag around a large berm/hill/ride or you could just pin it and go straight up n' over, which was the faster line.

That picture was taken from a higher vantage point, looking down a bit onto the Scout, to give you a better idea of how leaned-to-the-driver's-side it was. Good thing I had poor Steve in the #2 seat for ballast.

Quote:
Your up against a 460 with an IH304? Holy crap man, time to get that 392 built! It may not rev as high as the 304 but it'll build power sooner.
I do OK in the obstacle race. IIRC I was 48sec, and the 460 Class 8 was a little under that.

But when you talk about a 20 minute event and a chance to really feel out the course, it's hard to keep up.

Quote:
Dude I hate that. When I borrow stuff, if it breaks, I take care of it. People who don't make me mad. My buddy barrowed my trailer once and brought it back with no wiring ~ turns out he didn't make sure the wirirng wasn't rubbing the ground while in motion and the whole thing got trashed. I made him replace it ~ never was 100% after that.
One equalizer was destroyed.. and while I was in there, found the spring bushings were overdue for replacement all around.. still need to do two bushings before I'm done.

Then some planned upgrades start next week with a stronger tongue, break-away kit, finally hard-wiring the winch, and a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer along with a rewire to 7-pin connectors.

Quote:
Moving the motor back as much as we are should push allot of wieght to what is currently looking like a weight-free rear end. Not sure how much to put back there but I'm thinking the front should be a little heavier but not much.
The extra WB should allow the fuel cell to be put between the axles, too.

I believe the technical term we're talking around is polar-moment-of-inertia.

There are actually a few desert guys that prefer to push the weight out to the edges. It's a preference thing, I think. Some prefer the center-mass, some prefer the ends.

Quote:
Where would you put the transfercase and how would you deal with the short rear driveshaft?
Speaking of.. got that engine mocked up yet? What do the driveshaft lengths look like?
__________________
-Tom
KE7VUX
tsm1mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #85 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
No, the engine is not mocked up, but I did get a trans housing to help with mounts.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2071
Location: Helena, MT USA
Posts: 5,084
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
A bit ago, Tom told me a story about a string ~ push the string, pull the string ~ Something about a string.
Point of that discussion, for those following along at home, was that an under-axle truss can be both stronger and lighter than ANY over-the-axle truss, because when you try to bend the axle, you're trying to stretch the "string" (steel truss) lengthwise, and it doesn't really want to do that (note how there used to be kits for a "cable truss" that was under-the-axle on a SII and others).

When you put the same design on top, you MUST affix the truss at many locations to the axle tube, because when the axle wants to bend, the "string" will just buckle / push outward and provides little to no strength.

You can fix that by using a stronger 'string' and putting in more stand-offs, but you're adding weight at the same time.

Quote:
Then after what seemed to be an eternity of welding, then letting it cool, then welding, the letting it cool, then....well, you get the picture. The axle assembly wieghed in at close to a billion pounds, but was ready to be put back into the chassis.

From the back
Any thought on a rear-truss to keep it from bending when I hit a tree-stump? Or do you think we don't need to add any more weight to the boat-anchor?

Quote:
Ok Tom. We need a few things here. I need some measurements. I want to know how much room (in inches please) between your current frame rail (bottom of) and the axle (top of). Since we are going with 35s on this beast, and you currently run 31s, lets figure out how much room you want. Please, include what you currently have, and what you want.
I'm not as concerned about belly-clearance or axle-to-frame clearance as I am about travel ratios ( whaddyall think, 60% up, 40% down, or 40/60?) and even more importantly how that relates to the driveshaft.

We should aim for a ~15deg driveshaft angle at ride height, to maximize U-joint longevity, and 25-30deg at full droop. With driveshaft lengths in hand, I can work the trig backward to get where we should be and then massage it a little.

I suspect it'll have a little stink-bug look to it, with the nose a little higher than the rear, but maybe not.

Also a factor is what the squat/anti-squat figures are at various ride-heights with your link setups.

I'll see about some measurements off the current car, tho'.

Quote:
Second, I'm going to need to mock up the steering so I need knuckles, spindles (have them), wheelbearings and hubs (if possible) so I can put this
Knuckles shipped on Friday.

Quote:
I may be loosing more of it, but I didn't want to cut before the crossmember until I made another to make sure nothing moves.
Definitely a good plan. No need to remove it until we're sure everything is triangulated up and square.

Quote:
2) Please also note that while I was working on the rear axle, Tom was out having fun 'racing' (you have to picture me making quotation marks with my fingers while you say 'racing' ~ it adds an element of sarcasm that wouldn't be there otherwise ~ of course, I'm just poking fun at Tom ~ but still, get the full effect and imagine it).
Hey now, let's also note how little I slept the last week or three getting the old car put back together so I could keep campaigning.

Blair came up and gave me a hand Friday night.. we hit the sack around 1am, then up before 7 to finish loading up, eat, and take off for the race.

I'm still a bit stiff n' sore today from all of the "fun"

Quote:
3) Also notice that the garage was open with daylight making pictures hard at first, and now the door is closed, its snowing and there is no sign of daylight outside the garage-door windows. Just another Saturday at the Grihalva home.
When it started snowing yesterday, I decided to skip washing the Scout and save that for another day..
__________________
-Tom
KE7VUX
tsm1mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #87 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87536
Posts: 3
I didn't know that Tom was using me as ballast but now that I think about it, all the puzzle pieces are coming together...
Exhibit A: Tom has a forced air helmet with tear offs on the visor and I get the helmet that the visor doesn't even close. Proof that he does not care if I am able to see the race and am therefore ballast.
Exhibit B: The drivers seat is mounted higher than the passenger allowing for better visibility. Proof once again that the passenger is not there for watching the race, but for providing low center of gravity weight.
Exhibit C: The battery is mounted directly under one of the feet of the passenger causing the passenger to be more concerned with putting the 3" of protruding bolt through his or her calf than with the race going on. Proof that he has little to no concern of the safety of the ballast...er...passenger as long as the weight stays the same.

Seriously though it is a blast to ride in the current scout and I can't wait to ride in the new race scout.
stague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
binderbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18592
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 4,230
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by stague View Post
I didn't know that Tom was using me as ballast but now that I think about it, all the puzzle pieces are coming together...
Exhibit A: Tom has a forced air helmet with tear offs on the visor and I get the helmet that the visor doesn't even close. Proof that he does not care if I am able to see the race and am therefore ballast.
Exhibit B: The drivers seat is mounted higher than the passenger allowing for better visibility. Proof once again that the passenger is not there for watching the race, but for providing low center of gravity weight.
Exhibit C: The battery is mounted directly under one of the feet of the passenger causing the passenger to be more concerned with putting the 3" of protruding bolt through his or her calf than with the race going on. Proof that he has little to no concern of the safety of the ballast...er...passenger as long as the weight stays the same.

Seriously though it is a blast to ride in the current scout and I can't wait to ride in the new race scout.
Try and get him into desert racing. Then your a needed asset. Nothing like barking out turn directions, MPH readings, gauge status, and general comments. Then when something goes wrong its your fault too. See, he would really need you then.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #89 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 87536
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
Try and get him into desert racing. Then your a needed asset. Nothing like barking out turn directions, MPH readings, gauge status, and general comments. Then when something goes wrong its your fault too. See, he would really need you then.
Tom may or may not have some difficulty distinguishing between the red, yellow and green flags they use to control the race, so even in the small course in Cascade a co-pilot can be helpful. I think that the new truck will have gauges centrally mounted so that the passenger can monitor the truck as well, and there is talk of in helmet radios as well.

I believe that most of the desert trucks give the driver a tach and the co-pilot is responsible for the rest of the gauges, but I don't think that Tom will always have ballast (co-pilots) to get in the truck with him.
stague is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #90 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
So I guess Tom wants me to mount the driver seat higher than the passenger seat ~ Thats helpful seeing that the seat mounts are next on the cage.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #91 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Point of that discussion, ...."string"...."string"....stronger 'string'....
See, something about a string

Quote:

Any thought on a rear-truss to keep it from bending when I hit a tree-stump? Or do you think we don't need to add any more weight to the boat-anchor?
Its a boat anchor because I was lifting it, attached to the links, with one hand as I slid the jackstand underneath. As of now, I'm thinking about a rear truss. I'd like to ~ but I'm not going to lie, building that axle Friday afternoon, and was the only thing I did on Saturday ~ so it wasn't going to happen then

Quote:
I'm not as concerned about belly-clearance or axle-to-frame clearance as I am about travel ratios ( whaddyall think, 60% up, 40% down, or 40/60?) and even more importantly how that relates to the driveshaft.
I think you are right about the trans clearance. Don't want uptravel where we can't use it.

Quote:
I suspect it'll have a little stink-bug look to it, with the nose a little higher than the rear, but maybe not.
I hear its all the rage.

Quote:
Also a factor is what the squat/anti-squat figures are at various ride-heights with your link setups.
You're going to kill me, but I didn't run them. Last time I ran them ~ was on Rusty. Had over 100% antisquat all the time, but it varied depending on how high I actually made it. I think I ended up with somewhere in the 117% anti-squat ~ its somewhere in Rusty's build. Anyway, it was near identicle to a comp buggy I found here so I was satified.

The following will probably piss a few people off, but hey, until I'm proved otherwise, its my thoughts on the matter.

I designed the 4-link before all the AS/IC crap was a big deal. I remember a conversation between Led and a fellow XJ buggy at the Best-of-the-West outing in AZ in Feb 2005. The guy just went through his 4-link design siting numbers and why his hole placements (what hole he used in the pre-fab 3-hole wonder-brackets) was the best setup with numbers rattling off. He then looked at me and Led and asked ~ what do your numbers look like ~ the answer came from Led. "Numbers?" he said with a surprise, "Those are only important on Pirate."

I'm well aware that AS and IC have been around long before I've been doing these 4-links ~ but at the time I designed my system, they were not house-hold names as they are now ~ most people were happy just to see that 4-link done. Now my customers and I have done some rude calculations with various downloadable programs and such here that put our systems REALLY close to what people on this board have said was ideal, but at the same time I'm fully aware that the calculations vary a bit if you load up your scout, or lift it more than whatever scout was measured in the first place.

I'm NOT saying that AS and all that crap is not important ~ nor am I saying it should be ignored. But frankly, I've done several 4-links on several makes and models being used as 100% crawlers and street driven weekend warriors ~ and frankly despite the lack of exact numbers backing my design, the system has never failed to give PERFORMANCE where it was needed.

Tom will be one of the first actual RACE applications where hard acceleration will be a common occurance. Am I worried? Not in the slightest. After driving P3, Rusty, and more recently Evo ~ I know that the system works in a WIDE variety of situations, and I look forward to seeing it prove itself once again.

Quote:
Knuckles shipped on Friday.
Cool.

Quote:
Definitely a good plan. No need to remove it until we're sure everything is triangulated up and square.
Exactly.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Buck Dodson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Member # 35185
Location: Suthern Orygun
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
See, something about a string



I designed the 4-link before all the AS/IC crap was a big deal. "Those are only important on Pirate."
Being from the "let's try this" school, I worked with the calculator on my rear 4-link and ended up with a lot of number I certanily didn't understand. If I think back, I got a lot of different definitions on AS/IC etc here and on other boards as well.

That being said, I have have 3 adjustable positions on my upper link frame mounts, and there is a significant change between the preformance in the 3 link positions.

I would absolutely include this adjustment on my next set up, then I can set the AS just where I like it, regardless what the numbers say.
__________________
Buck Dodson
Chief Scout of Suthern Orygun

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2071
Location: Helena, MT USA
Posts: 5,084
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
So I guess Tom wants me to mount the driver seat higher than the passenger seat ~ Thats helpful seeing that the seat mounts are next on the cage.
For the record, the passenger seat sits lower because it can - passenger doesn't *really* need to see, and it's that much extra room between their noggin' and the ground when it goes over. For that matter, the passenger seat was a long-after-thought.. long after the battery was mounted, too.

And Steve did help me out last year.. "Why are you stopped?" "The spotter is waving a red flag" "No, that's GREEN for GO!" "D'oh!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
I think you are right about the trans clearance. Don't want uptravel where we can't use it.
Hmm.. anyone here want to tell me how great and/or how expensive it's going to be to run a 2-piece front shaft? Run a straight shot forward from the Dana 20 to just in front of the 727, then a carrier bearing and a CV joint?

Still need to jack the engine up a little (or at least, not lower it) so that the carrier bearing is near where the front output is supposed to be, relative to the radius arms up front.

Quote:
The following will probably piss a few people off, but hey, until I'm proved otherwise, its my thoughts on the matter.

Tom will be one of the first actual RACE applications where hard acceleration will be a common occurance. Am I worried? Not in the slightest. After driving P3, Rusty, and more recently Evo ~ I know that the system works in a WIDE variety of situations, and I look forward to seeing it prove itself once again.
I don't believe the "numbers" are the be-all/end-all, but I do believe they can help us make decisions, and to quantify changes to the geometry. You can use the numbers to explain WHY, if you move the upper mount point to the second set of holes, you get THIS result, and maybe it'll clue you in that another inch of change will move things further in the intended direction to get some desired result.

I also know the desert guys scoff at the "crawler" folks with the "throw it together, run it, and see what ya think" suspensions - and that for the high-dollar crowd, these suspension numbers ARE important and DO mean stuff to 'em. I'm not competing at the level where a few % of AS will mean the difference between winning and losing, but there are folks out there that it would mean the difference.

CORR or WSORR's Pro-2/Pro-4 classes would be a good example where being off a few points could very well mean a loss. Not unlike NASCAR in that regard.

Fortunately, I'm putting a Scout up against Early Broncos, late TTB Broncos, solid axle big-broncos, short-box pickups, Blazers, CJs, XJs, Dodge pickups, Subaru wagons... at least, when I don't wander too far from home.
__________________
-Tom
KE7VUX
tsm1mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 PM   #94 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Member # 47726
Location: The Talkeetnas and Chugach
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
Subaru wagons...
For real? I've seen those things go forever and make it through some pretty gnarly stuff, but I hope your scout is coming out on top when you are racing the suby's!

As far as numbers go, I will admit I don't know squat But I think Tom raises a good point, it gives you a reference point and insight into where you need to go, and how to adjust.
Maybe this is the next step in refining the D&C 4-link. Sure it has worked so far, but building in some adjustment, particularly on a race car, seems appropriate. Again, I'm just a casual observer, but if I ever make it to a race, and Tom needs some ballast, I want the ride to be from the front of the pack, so anything that will help get him there should be considered.
__________________
'72 VW Baja Bug
'03 KTM 525EXC-G
Dirt Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #95 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 1956
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
For real? I've seen those things go forever and make it through some pretty gnarly stuff, but I hope your scout is coming out on top when you are racing the suby's!

As far as numbers go, I will admit I don't know squat But I think Tom raises a good point, it gives you a reference point and insight into where you need to go, and how to adjust.
Maybe this is the next step in refining the D&C 4-link. Sure it has worked so far, but building in some adjustment, particularly on a race car, seems appropriate. Again, I'm just a casual observer, but if I ever make it to a race, and Tom needs some ballast, I want the ride to be from the front of the pack, so anything that will help get him there should be considered.
As long as you don't drive, Tom will make it fine.
__________________
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself!
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #96 (permalink)
IH Parts America Inc
 
ihojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member # 21419
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 2,038
Blog Entries: 1
Looking good!

Any word on what swaybars you guys want to use?
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
ihojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 2071
Location: Helena, MT USA
Posts: 5,084
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
Looking good!

Any word on what swaybars you guys want to use?
We've been talking about 'em, but I'm still anti-sway-bar-dumb.

Hey, wasn't Dan going to share some wisdom on anti-swaybars?

In the mean time, I need to read-up some more on the subject.
__________________
-Tom
KE7VUX
tsm1mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 AM   #98 (permalink)
IH Parts America Inc
 
ihojeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member # 21419
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 2,038
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
We've been talking about 'em, but I'm still anti-sway-bar-dumb.

Hey, wasn't Dan going to share some wisdom on anti-swaybars?

In the mean time, I need to read-up some more on the subject.
Yeah, I need to talk to Dan anyway. If anything we can start in the middle(rate wise) or do some experimenting and go with two significantly different rates and switch them around front to back but that requires some testing. I do have steel arms here for when your ready. They are for the larger 1 1/4" sway bars.
________
Wiki vaporizer
ihojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
binderbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Member # 18592
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 4,230
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
We've been talking about 'em, but I'm still anti-sway-bar-dumb.

Hey, wasn't Dan going to share some wisdom on anti-swaybars?

In the mean time, I need to read-up some more on the subject.
Who? Me?

All I know about sway bars is the bigger they are the stiffer they are. Then it comes down to material. For what your doing Tom(length of race, weight of rig, type of racing) I think the off the shelf 1 1/4 ones will be fine for you. The stuff I mentioned earlier in the thread was more for 800 hp, 36" wheel travel, 100+ mph, and needs to survive an entire 1000 mile race. I think with this fancy new car, your gonna have to do a lot more prep. Inspecting a lot more of the moving parts more often. Just ad sway bar to the list. Just make sure the bar is a 'standard'(lenght/size) piece so if you do break one it doesnt take 6 weeks to get a new one.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 AM   #100 (permalink)
Banned
 
Snoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5650
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
I would absolutely include this adjustment on my next set up, then I can set the AS just where I like it, regardless what the numbers say.
I hear that. I'm not trying to say that the # are not important, but I think too many people put too much emphasis on them ~ maybe I put too little emphasis on them.
Quote:
I don't believe the "numbers" are the be-all/end-all, but I do believe they can help us make decisions, and to quantify changes to the geometry. ....move things further in the intended direction to get some desired result.
There ya go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
For the record, the passenger seat sits lower because it can - passenger doesn't *really* need to see, and it's that much extra room between their noggin' and the ground when it goes over. For that matter, the passenger seat was a long-after-thought.. long after the battery was mounted, too.
Speaking of which ~ Can you give me a measurement from the bottom of your seat to the floors? I need to start mocking up the seating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
Looking good!
Any word on what swaybars you guys want to use? ~ If anything we can start in the middle(rate wise) or do some experimenting and go with two significantly different rates and switch them around front to back but that requires some testing. I do have steel arms here for when your ready. They are for the larger 1 1/4" sway bars.
I just sent an email to Tom regarding that. I'd be happy to take whatcha got now. The steel arms, 1 1/4" bars would do just fine to start with. IF they don't work, or Tom wants less/more, we can always swap them out later. I'm quickly getting to the point where I'll need to mock something up so I know where to put the rest of the tube/stuff. So something is better than me guessing where to put stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound View Post
Who? Me?

All I know about sway bars is the bigger they are the stiffer they are. Then it comes down to material. For what your doing Tom(length of race, weight of rig, type of racing) I think the off the shelf 1 1/4 ones will be fine for you.
There you have it ~ the expert has spoken ~ SHIP IT!

Quote:
I think with this fancy new car, your gonna have to do a lot more prep. Inspecting a lot more of the moving parts more often. Just ad sway bar to the list. Just make sure the bar is a 'standard'(lenght/size) piece so if you do break one it doesnt take 6 weeks to get a new one.
He's got a great point. I think that the new racer will need quite a bit of tweeking and adjusting as things get wore in ~ or Tom gets more crazy . Tweeking is always a natural part of a racer's life ~ expecially with an all new rig to thrash on. I do believe leaving things 'off the shelf' lengths will be benificial to the 'maintainance' aspect down the road.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.