'56 S-120 4x4 Build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #76 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by drydocker View Post
Nice to see that I am not the only one crazy enough to mess with a Dana 70 front axle.
Couple things, What ratio are you planning to run in the front ?
AFAIK, the only ratios for the IH 70 fronts, are 4.30,4.88,5.13,6.17,and 7.17.
I THINK the Dodge units are the same R&P, and it is different than a 70 rear gearset. Rear gearsets will not work in 70 fronts.
Lots of good info.. Thanks

I'll probably go with 5.13 gears.. I dont want to go as low as 6.17 as this will be driven on the street.

I should have the brake lines installed and have the truck street driveable this week.

Nice truck BTW
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #77 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
I'm seriously thinking of going with a 6v53 Detroit Diesel now... I originally planned on a 3-53, but I want something more powerful. I was considering a 4-71 until I started looking at the specs on it compared to a 6v53.

4-71

- 160 HP @ 2100 rpm
- Length 42" , Width 29" , Height 42"
- Weight 1780 lbs.

6v53

- 216 HP at 2800 rpm
- Length 39" , Width 40" , Height 37"
- Weight 1485 lbs

The 6v53 is 300 lbs lighter, 3" shorter in length, 5" less tall and makes 56 more HP.

I found a 6v53 locally for $1,250... the only catch is that it comes still installed in an old fire truck. Anyone need an old fire truck without an engine?

Whatever engine I end up swapping in, it will be air start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKUMuqK5KF4
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #78 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Picked up some beef to build the new rear driveshaft. 1410 everything, 3" O.D. .083" wall tubing

I'm working on getting the new brake lines run this evening. If all goes well they will be bled out and working tomorrow. Should have the driveshaft done tomorrow also... then, the first test drive

Last edited by Azzy2000; 09-11-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Are you still using a dual master cylinder? Will the lever ratio on the brake pedal be enough for the larger brakes and will the master move enough fluid for the bigger wheel cylinders? I absolutely love the build! Great to see some old iron being built up to run around in. Looks like MJ Logan traded his International pickup for a big BMW, will be interesting to see what he parlays that into! Keep up the great work. Is the 6v turboed? Getting rid of an old fire truck is pretty easy depending on where you live. Here in California the studios buy them frequently to use in movies and there are also avid collectors groups around the country. You may be able to donate it to a trade school for the students to learn about air brakes, hydraulic pumps and drivelines. Or maybe a fire mechanics school in your state would like it as a training tool. If you donate it you can write it off, however you may get more for it as scrap.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
I'm plumbing it up to the original master cylinder. It's a single reservoir, 1 1/8" bore. Not sure on the stroke length. I went ahead and decided to plumb the system as-is with the original MC to see how well it works. I will probably still swap it out later for a dual reservoir unit just for safetys sake though.

The old wheel cylinder bore sizes were 1" front, 1 1/8" rear. The "new" wheel cyl bores are 1 1/8" front, 15/16" rear. There is not much difference in size so I think it will work fine, especially since it shouldnt require as much volume. It has a 5/16" supply hard line from the MC to the distribution block.. I'm running 3/16" hard line from there to the front and rear rubber flex hoses in place of the original 1/4" lines, and 3/16" to the wheel cylinders.

Hopefully the parts house will be open in the morning and I can get a short length of 5/16" tubing to finish the plumbing. Ike looks to be coming straight at us now so not much will be open tomorrow. I just hope a damn tree doesnt end up across the truck... I'm surrounded by oaks and pines and I cant fit it in the garage

Last edited by Azzy2000; 09-12-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #81 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
The 6v53 in the truck was supposedly turbo'd. I didnt end up buying it, he didnt want to sell just the engine and I dont have any place to take the truck to get the engine out of it.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 09-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Looks like Ike has made landfall. See 100 mph winds and such. Hope your far enough from the coast to not get the brunt of it.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 98655
When you get a chance let us know your OK. Been hoping for the best for you. When you said over to the Woodlands I figured you were North of Houston, so hopefully you did not suffer the flooding from the storm surge at least. Saw 45 northbound still had low spots that had flooding though. Hope all is well.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #84 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
When you get a chance let us know your OK. Been hoping for the best for you. When you said over to the Woodlands I figured you were North of Houston, so hopefully you did not suffer the flooding from the storm surge at least. Saw 45 northbound still had low spots that had flooding though. Hope all is well.
Well my neighborhood got hit pretty bad. No one knows for sure if it was just the hurricane or a tornado that spawned off. It looks like there was a bombing run through my area. No flooding. I have 4 trees down, one big oak hit my house in 2 places and my truck. The garage took a good hit on the right front corner also. The trucks hood got dented pretty badly along with the top of the cab in 3 places.

I'm still without power.. not sure for how much longer. I'm on my brothers wireless connection right now. Thank you for the kind thoughts, I really do appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 98655
I am not there, but I do know how disasters can change folks perception of things.
Most importantly you are OK. The truck can and will be fixed I am sure and hopefully the damage to the house did not allow too much water damage inside and your brick walls held fast.
Thanks for getting back to us and hang in there. Having breakfast tomorrow with a retiree from my job. His son works for NASA in Houston so I will get to find out how badly he faired. I heard he lived in some neighborhood by the bay near Galveston.
Glad to hear you're OK, sorry to hear about your property damage. Hopefully you won't have to spend six months in a hotel like we did.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 98655
My buddies son lives in Seabrook, near the Space Center on the west side of Galveston Bay. As of Thursday he has not had contact with him yet. Hang in there and keep us posted when you can.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #87 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
I didnt get power back on before I had to leave town for work again.. It was restored sometime in the last 2 weeks. Just got back home tonight and got all the pictures downloaded. The truck got hit pretty hard by a big oak, but it couldve been worse. Luckily the windshield was not broken or cracked. The top of the cab and the hood werent as lucky.

This was the view as I drove up to my house after the storm came through. That mess is my front yard. 3 trees down in front.

The rootball of the big oak that hit the house and truck

Big oak layed on the house and truck. You can see the top half of a pine tree that snapped off and landed on my garage in this pic also.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
And here's the truck...

Yeah, its right there.

After a bit more cutting

The top of the cab is dented badly.

Not a great pic, but you can see the huge hood dent and the dent on the pass. cab top corner.

Last edited by Azzy2000; 10-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Wow! I guess you could find a hood and cab. I'm no bodyman but the roof looks like it would be hard to fix. Glad you are OK and hope things move along well for you. Is the house able to be lived in?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 45
Damn sad sight to see your home and project in such a state.

As far as your truck goes, hammer and dolly after a hydro power push out and go for it!

Hurricane damage is just another bragging right you'll have with this one.....

Glad you and your are safe dude

john

Swedish American :usa:

Last edited by rugburn; 10-08-2008 at 07:13 AM.
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #91 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Wow! I guess you could find a hood and cab. I'm no bodyman but the roof looks like it would be hard to fix. Glad you are OK and hope things move along well for you. Is the house able to be lived in?
The hood is fixable. It's a big deep dent, but its so spread out that it shouldnt be too hard to raise back out. I dont think the back part of the cab will be repairable. It's just too deep. I have 2 options for that..

1. Beat it out as best as I can it leave it for character

2. Cut out the whole damaged section and shape a new piece to weld in. (This would be pretty complicated for me because of the compound curves.. but it would be a good project.)

The house is livable, luckily the tree just hit the side of the house over the kitchen area. I think there is a rafter broken, but it is hard to tell at this point. The garage has major damage to the front right corner. Thanks for the kind thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
Damn sad sight to see your home and project in such a state.

As far as your truck goes, hammer and dolly after a hydro power push out and go for it!

Hurricane damage is just another bragging right you'll have with this one.....

Glad you and your are safe dude

john
Thanks John.. It does suck to see everything like this, but I cant change it now.. so time to move forward

BTW.. I think I have a name for the truck.

Tina.. because Ike beat the hell out of it
Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Great idea for a name for the truck, my wife just cracked up! Also the idea about the cab is not bad either, just fix as best you can and leave the rest for a conversation piece. I'm a little superstitous, my wife had a 99 victory red Suburban with drl's. She had people pull out in front of her 3 times and wreck that Suburban. It has personalized plates, the last time it was wrecked I took the plate and set it between 2 pieces of wood and drove over it to flatten it out. Then just put it on the front of the newer replacement Suburban. So far so good (knock wood) it has been 3 years and no more accidents.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #93 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Got a little bit done on the truck today. The rear driveshaft is finished. Just needs primer, paint and grease. I'll bolt it into the truck in the morning. Another 2 hours on the brakes tomorrow and I should have the truck ready for its first drive since I started the swap.

I pressed in the end yoke and adjusted it until it sat straight and square with the tube. I tacked it and then went on to press the slip joint in.

I pressed the slip joint in as far as I wanted and then checked it with my expedient runout indicator

It started out at about .020" runout and I got it down to .004" by lightly tapping the "high" side with a brass hammer and then re-checking. I welded the joints and assembled everything. I'll paint it tonight before I knock off.

Last edited by Azzy2000; 10-11-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Sweet build I love it!! Sorry to see the damage hope you get insurance money to help...

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 10-13-2008 at 12:40 AM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #95 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800 View Post
Sweet build I love it!! Sorry to see the damage hope you get insurance money to help...
Thanks.

My home owners insurance will not give anything for the truck damage. They said it would have to be covered under my auto insurance, which I dont have on the truck yet.

I got the driveshaft installed a few days ago, but spent the rest of the day continuing with hurricane repairs on the house and cleaning the yard some more. I have one more hardline to bend and fit going to the rear axle and then I can bleed the system and test the brakes.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy2000 View Post
Thanks.

My home owners insurance will not give anything for the truck damage. They said it would have to be covered under my auto insurance, which I dont have on the truck yet..
That sucks
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Even though the garage has major damage I see it is still usable. You gonna take the insurance money and fix it yourself? With all the stuff you have in your garage I would be hesitant to leave it there unsupervised during the repairs. Tools have a way of growing legs when others are around your home.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I've been ripped off a couple of times, by folks who were suppossed to be trustworthy!
Will be looking forward to further progress on Tina!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 83301
dude that 6-71 is awesome....air start for sure
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #99 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Even though the garage has major damage I see it is still usable. You gonna take the insurance money and fix it yourself? With all the stuff you have in your garage I would be hesitant to leave it there unsupervised during the repairs. Tools have a way of growing legs when others are around your home.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I've been ripped off a couple of times, by folks who were suppossed to be trustworthy!
Will be looking forward to further progress on Tina!
Yes, I'll be fixing the house and garage myself with the help of my dad and brother. I do not trust anyone else to do the job.. Like you said I have too much $$$ invested in my tools to chance being ripped off. I also dont want anyone seeing what I've got and coming back by later on to steal everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
dude that 6-71 is awesome....air start for sure
I have a line on a surplus 6v53 for About $500. I did some rough measuring of the engine compartment and it looks like I'll be able to squeeze it in there
Old 10-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 98655
6v53 na or turbo? Are those an SAE 2 bell housing? What transmission you plan on running? You gonna need custom axles for the front end? Dam that Tina is gonna be a powerful bitch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in