'56 S-120 4x4 Build - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 98655
trkklr77 is putting one in an early Advanced Design Chevy (late 55-59).
You should hook up with him and check out his brackets for mounts. No worries about the bell housing now! Plus a complete redesign the cab floor.
I saw the pto, can you use that on the other side for a winch?
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #152 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
trkklr77 is putting one in an early Advanced Design Chevy (late 55-59).
You should hook up with him and check out his brackets for mounts. No worries about the bell housing now! Plus a complete redesign the cab floor.
I saw the pto, can you use that on the other side for a winch?
Yeah, I've been meaning to check out his build thread. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm glad I was finally able to find a complete package. I didnt want the hassle of searching for flywheels, bellhousings, clutches... etc. The seller says the engine runs good.. and it looks to have all of the accessories. Not sure if the pto will work for me or not. I may be able to switch it to the other side of the trans, or pull it off and run a 10 bolt pto off of the transfer case.
Azzy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Is the second shifter on the back of the trans for an auxillary trans? That is a big 5 spd, is it a Clark?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #154 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Is the second shifter on the back of the trans for an auxillary trans? That is a big 5 spd, is it a Clark?
I think it is either a Fuller or Spicer 5 speed. The seller does not know the model or serial number. I believe the second shifter controlled the 2 speed rear that was in the truck.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 29177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy2000 View Post
Trying to seal a deal for a 6v53 Detroit Diesel with 5 speed trans and PTO out of a '77 GMC dumptruck right now. If I can get it for a decent price it may come home with me this weekend.
I've actually considered a 3-53T/auto for my 1100. It's a bit loud, but has possibilities. Like a total VO conversion
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Ok, most 2 spd rear ends I've driven are air or electric shifted. Another thing I forgot to mention is your steering. Look at fork lift steering boxes. You can mount them similar to the stock style, but obviously they are all power or hydro. With those exhaust manifolds you can run them out through the fenderwells!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 79206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy2000 View Post
I think it is either a Fuller or Spicer 5 speed. The seller does not know the model or serial number. I believe the second shifter controlled the 2 speed rear that was in the truck.
It looks like a Clark 5 speed. I have one in my scout.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #158 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dave View Post
It looks like a Clark 5 speed. I have one in my scout.
It very well may be. I'll be able to confirm once I get it back to the shop in a few days.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #159 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Ok, most 2 spd rear ends I've driven are air or electric shifted. Another thing I forgot to mention is your steering. Look at fork lift steering boxes. You can mount them similar to the stock style, but obviously they are all power or hydro. With those exhaust manifolds you can run them out through the fenderwells!
It had a 2 speed rear with the electric shifter taped to the trans shifter. The seller said that the second shifter was used to control the hydraulic dump bed. The steering is definitely going to need some serious work. I want to keep the stock steering wheel and column inside the cab so that it looks original as possible.. that will be adapted to either an orbital valve for full hydro, or to a u-joint steering shaft routed to clear the new engine.

Brakes are going to be another issue. With this much weight being added, it will no longer be safe to run the drum brakes and stock single reservoir master cyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
that second shifter is for a brownie/auxil trans. the 2 speed rear would be a lift/push knob on the trans shifter and would be either elec or vac operated.

the trans shifter base also looks like my clark, but i havent seen enough to tell if it was a eaton/spicer/something else....

let me know if you dont want that oilfilter mount or want to trade for a remote mount.
I got everything unloaded yesterday evening but havent got a chance to ID the trans yet. I'll get a closer look today.

I may take you up on the oil filter mount trade. The one that is on here now looks like it will be right where the frame rail needs to be. I will let you know once I get closer.

Last edited by Azzy2000; 07-22-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #160 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
So now I have to fit this big bastard..

Into this relatively small spot

I finally got a chance to get a quick look at the 6v53 tonight. I turned it over with a breaker bar.. no problems there. I also pulled the valve covers and found a bit of surface rust from condensation. The worst is on the drivers side. The heads will definitely be coming off to clean and inspect everything, as well as check the cylinders. The drivers side thermostadt housing is also cracked.

Pass side cyl head

Dr. side

Old 07-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #161 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
It has what appears to be a hydraulic pump mounted off the back of the pass. side of the engine. I say appears because I've never seen one like this before. It has a line that goes from the back of the cylinder head to the top of the pump. What is this for? The only thing I can make out on the ID tag is the manufacturers name.. Ross.

You can see the line going to the cyl head in this pic. Oil pressure to lube the pump? Regulate pressure? wtf?

Anyways.. this pump will be coming off as I have no use for it and it would cause some serious complications with the engine/firewall clearance.

Exhaust manifold.. should work pretty well with some minor mods.

I took a good look at the trans tonight but still not sure on the manufacturer. It was built in '78. I think there is an ID tag under the aux trans shifter mount. I'll pull it off tomorrow and check for sure. It is a 5 speed with reverse up and to the left.. aluminum shift tower.

pass side trans casting

Last edited by Azzy2000; 07-25-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 61688
Air compressor. My employer has this engine in an International 5 yd dump truck. Loud, low rpm torque. They have a small cowl in the cab that comes off to service the air comp.

Last edited by Pistonman; 07-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Pistonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #163 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonman View Post
Air compressor.
Did Ross make air compressors? I thought they only did hydraulic equipment. I am new to a lot of this industrial diesel stuff.. so please forgive me for all stupid questions
Old 07-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 61688
If you are talking about the black object on the back of the block, then yes it is an air comp. The cylindrical part on top is the pressure regulator. pop off the cap to adjust pressure- S/B 120 psi. It would be nice to keep it , they have a high cfm. Edit to add Midland- Ross, should put out around 12-14 cfm.

Last edited by Pistonman; 07-25-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #165 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonman View Post
If you are talking about the black object on the back of the block, then yes it is an air comp. The cylindrical part on top is the pressure regulator. pop off the cap to adjust pressure- S/B 120 psi. It would be nice to keep it , they have a high cfm. Edit to add Midland- Ross, should put out around 12-14 cfm.
Thanks for the info. I really do not want to cut the firewall to make it fit with the compressor on there, but I will be needing an air compressor on the truck. Do you know if it is possible to mount it any other way? Hopefully I can find some time tomorrow to pull it off and see exactly how it is driven.

Too many projects for other people here lately.. I can barely find a few minutes here and there to think about my stuff, much less work on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 61688
I have only seen the 6V with a rear accy drive, maybe you could drive it off a pto and mount it on the frame . s/b a keyed shaft . It should have an oil and water line going to it also.Copper tube is tank fill line. When they go bad they start pumping out oil with the air.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #167 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Azzy,
If I can cram a 7.3PSD and ZF into my 4cyl 80, you can get that 6V53 crammed in there.

Did you ever get your welded axle shafts sorted out? Are you just gonna wait and see how long they last?
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 29016
since you have a 6cyl motor in already it should fit. mine fits without the fan and i need to trim the first groove of my lower pully. i am just going to run a elec pusher fan.

the blcak hose from the head to the pump is water, that is the tstat mount if the heads are reversed

next to the pump is the mech tach driver.

your trans looks like my clark. same case mountings and speedo output.

Last edited by trkklr77; 07-26-2009 at 11:39 AM.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #169 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Did you ever get your welded axle shafts sorted out? Are you just gonna wait and see how long they last?
I'm just going to run them till they break.. which probably wont be long.

Once that happens it will be getting a 35 spline upgrade. The axle is way down on the list right now. Once I get the 6v installed, suspension/steering/brakes and sheetmetal repairs done... then I will turn my attention back to the front axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
since you have a 6cyl motor in already it should fit. mine fits without the fan and i need to trim the first groove of my lower pully. i am just going to run a elec pusher fan.

the blcak hose from the head to the pump is water, that is the tstat mount if the heads are reversed

next to the pump is the mech tach driver.

your trans looks like my clark. same case mountings and speedo output.
I'm not really worried about the length.. mostly the width. It will be tight on the sides but should fit. I did some rough measuring today.

Last edited by Azzy2000; 07-26-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #170 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
I'm digging the old skool 6v53 diesel swap, that will be a cool old truck.

You done yet? I mean you got that bad ass supa shop and all.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM   #171 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
You done yet? I mean you got that bad ass supa shop and all.

Been too busy working on everyone else projects.. or out of town. I have to have my Jeep buggy finished this time next month for a run in Sept though.. so next time home will be a balls out work-a-thon to get it trail worthy and tested for the palo duro run.

It will probably be 2 months before I can really put some serious work into the truck.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 105526
Do you have any pics of the finish welding on the axle shaft you welded back together? Or did you end up sourcing it from somewhere else?
praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 129137
Engine compartment space

I have no problem defaulting to the expertise of everyone else on this board but I think an s-120s engine compartment is rather large and I have seen straight eights and 460s crammed into them before I have no idea how but I think it might be possible to do something with that monstrosity of a radiator, I'm not at my house right now so I don't have immediate access to my international but for some reason I feel that moving it or replacing the radiator might give you a little more space. Or I might just be retarded
Kevin240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #174 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian View Post
Do you have any pics of the finish welding on the axle shaft you welded back together? Or did you end up sourcing it from somewhere else?
Using the welded stocker till it breaks. I'll try to get a few pics up this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin240 View Post
I have no problem defaulting to the expertise of everyone else on this board but I think an s-120s engine compartment is rather large and I have seen straight eights and 460s crammed into them before I have no idea how but I think it might be possible to do something with that monstrosity of a radiator, I'm not at my house right now so I don't have immediate access to my international but for some reason I feel that moving it or replacing the radiator might give you a little more space. Or I might just be retarded
Good news. You arent retarded.

I actually spent some time a few weeks ago pulling a few parts and getting some measurements and it should fit fine. After I pulled the air compressor off of the rear of the engine and pulled the factory ehaust manifolds it looked much more possible. It will be slightly tight between the frame rails and the radiator is going to get swapped out/pushed forward.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #175 (permalink)
Mr. Personality

Member # 11869
Got a chance to mess around with the truck and 6v today..

I pulled the transmission off of the 6v53 to make it easier to move around and get it ready to lift into the truck once I get the old engine pulled. I plan on pulling the old engine/trans when I get back home in a few weeks. Then I can work on fitting the 6v in place and start making my mounts.

The input shaft on this trans is beastly..

I moved the engine and trans over in front of one of my other never ending projects

So.. I planned on taking the truck for its last drive with the I-6 this afternoon, but after charging the battery, checking fluids and airing tires.. I sprayed a bit of ether and hopped in the truck and cranked it over... for about 2 seconds.. at which point the starter quit working

I was going to cruise it around the backroads by the shop for a few minutes and take some video with my new camera.. oh well. I'll try again when I get home from this next hitch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in