anther 80 build - Page 21 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 PM   #501 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
So, I wasted my cam shaft and thus the motor last summer during the Ultimate Adventure 2017. Major disappointment that caused us to miss the last trail day at Sand Hollow, which was by far, the coolest wheeling spot of the week. Anyway, I had to pull the motor and have it rebuilt. Wiped out the mains, and had to replace the cam. Crank was still fine, heads were ok, etc. Metal didnt make it too far, but the cam drive gear failed, which stopped oiling the motor.

Since it was out, I figured now was a good time to make some front changes. The ORI's werent keeping up with the 2.5 Fox's I threw in last year, so I figured Id match em up. The problem is that i built the rig aorund the ORI's, which left little room for c/o's and bumps. I was hoping for 14's, but they would require a total redo of the front end, and Im not interested in that much work for this rig. So I settled on 12" 2.5 instead of 14" 2.0's. Either fit without a major rework, but both need a lot of effort. I had to rework the upper mounts, notch the frame, build bump mounts, and Im most of the way through the axle end.

Trying to get it all done so I can drag it to Sand Hollow and then KOH.

Full stuff on passenger, full droop on drivers. The shorter links cause the axle to pull back at droop. There is about an inch of clearance.

Not crazy about how the landing pad will be, but there is no where else to put them. This is full bump both sides

I also am using this time to redo the rear cage. I never liked how it looked, and since I decided on rear bench, Im changing the B pillar area to have an X, and getting rid of the B/C angled pieces.

Here is the rear redone. Sleeved at the joint, and is now one piece, instead of flanged through fenders. I had to cut all the rear stuff out anyway with fuel tank changes, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by plug ugly; 01-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #502 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Three things.

Tick-tock tick-tock

I saw that blue box.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #503 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
its my neighbors. a 215. its nice

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #504 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
Just remember, the red ones are better.

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #505 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Sooooo a couple of questions:

1. You didn't like the ORI's? Or just not enough time on them?
2. How did your rig do (other than the cam gear fail) on the rest of the UA trip? I recall the hood being off for heat (obviously surface of the sun.

Looking forward to seeing a shot of the cage out in the drive way.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #506 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
I loved the ORI's until i put the coilovers in back. ORI was actually surprised I liked them as much as I did, as I was right at the weight limit for them. I just couldnt get them to go fast on my rig, at least no where near as good as the fox stuff.

The scout did 'fine' overall. Until this trip its always been reliable except for electronics/ignition stuff. I think it ALL relates back to the cam shaft issue thought. The rig has been jumping timing for likely a long time, as some of the teeth on the cam gear have been chunked out. This is why the motor was running so hot, and I had to pull the hood off. Once we (jon) figured out it was likely a timing issue, and we reset the timing, it wasnt running hot any longer.

I had done a tune up and reset the timing prior to the trip. I had just retuned it prior to the trip as well. I was convinced it was rock solid. It ran hot almost immediately, and really started falling on its face at higher rpms driving from Hurricane to Pheonix to start the trip. Both Jon and I felt the motor was off power wise, but I was convinced it was timed right. I finally relented half way through the trip and checked timing, which was retarded 10 degrees. After eating some humble pie, we reset the timing and it was running like a raped ape again. On one of the hill climbs at The Cinders, we were climbing and it just fell flat again. I rechecked the timing and it had retarded back to 6 degrees again. While I felt vindicated that i wasnt a total dumbass, it was foreboding of problems to come. It was later that night on the road to the grand canyon that the motor started jumping rpms. We ducked off into a pull out, thinking it was just a tfi or something. Started throwing different electronics and even a dizzy at until Jon noticed the rotor was always in a different spot. Pewe towed us into town, we called a tow truck and headed to Utah that night, hoping to figure it out in the morning. Once we got the front end of the motor torn apart, it was like 130 in the afternoon. Even IF we had over-nighted a new cam, we would have missed the last day of wheeling, and I really wasnt sure what else was fubar as the drive gear also runs the oil pump. SOOOO, we put the scout on the trailer and rode/walked along at Sand Hollow, crying on the inside the whole time.

Aside from fighting the overheating issue, the extra weight we were carrying and the step down to 38" tires from 42's caused some struggles I dont otherwise have while crawling, but thats all part of the trip.

It was disappointing over all. The scout should have kicked ass on this trip, and has been a really good wheeler since the day it rolled out of the garage. It had never had major issues, and of course happened on UA. It would have been nice to show what it was capable of...

This is why we are heading back to Sand Hollow in two weeks.............

Last edited by plug ugly; 01-24-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #507 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
I loved the ORI's until i put the coilovers in back. ORI was actually surprised I liked them as much as I did, as I was right at the weight limit for them. I just couldnt get them to go fast on my rig, at least no where near as good as the fox stuff.

The scout did 'fine' overall. Until this trip its always been reliable except for electronics/ignition stuff. I think it ALL relates back to the cam shaft issue thought. The rig has been jumping timing for likely a long time, as some of the teeth on the cam gear have been chunked out. This is why the motor was running so hot, and I had to pull the hood off. Once we (jon) figured out it was likely a timing issue, and we reset the timing, it wasnt running hot any longer.

I had done a tune up and reset the timing prior to the trip. I had just retuned it prior to the trip as well. I was convinced it was rock solid. It ran hot almost immediately, and really started falling on its face at higher rpms driving from Hurricane to Pheonix to start the trip. Both Jon and I felt the motor was off power wise, but I was convinced it was timed right. I finally relented half way through the trip and checked timing, which was retarded 10 degrees. After eating some humble pie, we reset the timing and it was running like a raped ape again. On one of the hill climbs at The Cinders, we were climbing and it just fell flat again. I rechecked the timing and it had retarded back to 6 degrees again. While I felt vindicated that i wasnt a total dumbass, it was foreboding of problems to come. It was later that night on the road to the grand canyon that the motor started jumping rpms. We ducked off into a pull out, thinking it was just a tfi or something. Started throwing different electronics and even a dizzy at until Jon noticed the rotor was always in a different spot. Pewe towed us into town, we called a tow truck and headed to Utah that night, hoping to figure it out in the morning. Once we got the front end of the motor torn apart, it was like 130 in the afternoon. Even IF we had over-nighted a new cam, we would have missed the last day of wheeling, and I really wasnt sure what else was fubar as the drive gear also runs the oil pump. SOOOO, we put the scout on the trailer and rode/walked along at Sand Hollow, crying on the inside the whole time.

Aside from fighting the overheating issue, the extra weight we were carrying and the step down to 38" tires from 42's caused some struggles I dont otherwise have while crawling, but thats all part of the trip.

It was disappointing over all. The scout should have kicked ass on this trip, and has been a really good wheeler since the day it rolled out of the garage. It had never had major issues, and of course happened on UA. It would have been nice to show what it was capable of...

This is why we are heading back to Sand Hollow in two weeks.............
Excellent recap Damon, thank you!

Really sucks about the timing situation. I would have been the same way, especially considering that you had JUST re-timed/retuned it. The "retarding" does explain the extra heat cycling of the engine, and especially given the already hot climate. To have it drop 10*, fix it, be happy, then drop back 6* again...just sucks.

I would have bailed as well. Good call on just being efficient and not throwing money at what eventually was/is a full rebuild situation.

I think Sand Hollow looks amazing from everything that I have seen on the internet. It is now quickly up at the top of my bucket list.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #508 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
i can recount the whole trip if you are interested. I wasnt sure how many folks cared. I know you have a lot of interest in the trip, so Im happy to share or help if you are reapplying.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #509 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
So, I wasted my cam shaft and thus the motor last summer during the Ultimate Adventure 2017. Major disappointment that caused us to miss the last trail day at Sand Hollow, which was by far, the coolest wheeling spot of the week....
Quote:
i can recount the whole trip if you are interested. I wasnt sure how many folks cared. I know you have a lot of interest in the trip, so Im happy to share or help if you are reapplying.
Uh... yeah. when you get a chance that would be cool. Maybe make a new thread for

UA 2017

and KOH2018.

When you get back. No time now. Get back in the garage...
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #510 (permalink)

Member # 502601
Yep, I'm sure lots of us on Pirate would appreciate a run down of the 2017 UA from a participants point of view. I've followed it in the magazine since its inception. Looks like a real blast, congrats on getting invited. You made it to day 6, lots of people don't get that far, you did well so don't be too hard on yourself. By the way, your workmanship on your Scout is awesome, keep the posts coming.
1OLD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #511 (permalink)

Member # 693233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1OLD4X4 View Post
...your workmanship on your Scout is awesome, keep the posts coming.
X2

I just spent a couple of hours reading this whole build thread. Great work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in