My official 80 build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 125140
My official 80 build

I am a new member but i have been lurking on this board for years but now i finally have a project. It is a 62 Scout that already had a sbc 350, with a sm420, & dana 18. It has a 4" body lift so the motor will clear. I was told that it sat for about 3 years. I bought it in February and since then i have been hard at work. Here are some pictures from when i bought it.

[IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t51/drummondj

/4X4/P1070703.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by JERM83; 07-03-2010 at 02:32 PM.
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Since I got it home i have spent a lot of time under the hood getting the motor running better, changing all fluids, going through the brakes, upgraded to stainless brake lines, extended shock towers, custom radiator support, electric fans. Took it camping in July, here are a few pictures.

And here it is now how it sits. I installed a set of 33" BFG Mud Terrains, a set of flowmasters, and painted it olive drab. I am currently gathering parts for power steering.

Last edited by JERM83; 10-23-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29177
Ummm...I don't know what to say. Except wtf is with the body lift
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 52376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post
Ummm...I don't know what to say. Except wtf is with the body lift
Looks like a real nice starting point!

but x2 on the body lift.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 125140
The person who did the body lift used solid aluminum blocks that are not pictured. What you see in the picture is support for the inner fender. It will be replaced.

Last edited by JERM83; 10-23-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 121028
What the hell is with that body lift?
otherwise....
Welcome to the addiction of scouts...
Now just remember that "Search" is your best friend.
Whats next after the power steering?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mention "Pirate" for 10% off.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Molon Labe
[/CENTER]
[QUOTE=Thomas Jefferson;] The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by okkool77; 10-23-2009 at 07:38 PM.
okkool77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM83 View Post
The person who did the body lift used solid aluminum blocks that are not pictured. What you see in the picture is support for the inner fender. It will be replaced.
Carry on then. So far, so good, but...ummm..might want to get better at your welding skillz

Last edited by Blind Driver; 10-23-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Quote:
Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
Whats next after the power steering?
After power steering I will be swapping in a front 44 with reverse shackles, and chevy 52" springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post
Carry on then. So far, so good, but...ummm..might want to get better at your welding skillz
I had a friend do the welding for me. They might not be pretty but they are strong. A lot of the problem with welding is that my house has old wiring and the breaker keeps popping making it a pain!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 100982
Nice starting point. Are you planning on running the 52" springs up front? I'm running chevy 47" up front and 52"s out back. I'd watch the 52"s up front, you will be running into obstackles before the tire can climb them. Even on 38's I still have my spring hitting before the tire can climb. The 350 will fit without the body lift, you might have to notch out the drivers fire wall a little bit though. Nice start though.
rkscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkscout View Post
Nice starting point. Are you planning on running the 52" springs up front? I'm running chevy 47" up front and 52"s out back. I'd watch the 52"s up front, you will be running into obstackles before the tire can climb them. Even on 38's I still have my spring hitting before the tire can climb. The 350 will fit without the body lift, you might have to notch out the drivers fire wall a little bit though. Nice start though.
Even with factory manifolds I had to notch a bit for clearance. You don't need much.

Look in the FAQ, there are a number of 80/800 builds.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
Are you using a dryer plug? You should run a dedicated plug rated for your welder not a dryer. Are you going to keep the stock column? If not.. dibs

I'll have to swing by sometime and check it out, your practically walking distance..

Feel free to check mine out for ideas on the steering etc.. I have no body lift and fit my V8 just fine, some cutting involved though.

Creative thread title

Last edited by Brandon; 10-23-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Quote:
That is good to know. I probably will run the 52's out back and just get a set of 47's for the front, thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Are you using a dryer plug? You should run a dedicated plug rated for your welder not a dryer. Are you going to keep the stock column? If not.. dibs

I'll have to swing by sometime and check it out, your practically walking distance..

Feel free to check mine out for ideas on the steering etc.. I have no body lift and fit my V8 just fine, some cutting involved though.

Creative thread title
No, it was a 110v welder, and its not mine. Part of the problem. Are you referring to the stock steering column? If so then no, i am installing a tilt wheel from a chevy van that does not have the ignition on the column. Stop by anytime Brandon, i am working on it this weekend.

Regarding the body lift, look i know it looks horrible and it makes the center of gravity worse, thats how it was when i bought it. It will have to stay for a while because i dont have a welder to do all the firewall notching, and i plan on taking the body off the frame in the future anyway, and i can fix it then. I will also have to make new motor and tranny mounts, and lower them down some, they sit too high.

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Creative thread title
Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 105834
Can't wait to see more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
war pony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Here is a pic of the condition of my front 44. When i bought the scout it came with the front 44 and a shortened 60 for the rear.

I dont know why anyone would paint them white.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 144823
Subscribed
Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Looks like a good start (minus the body lift)

A suggestion for your powersteering upgrade is to use a 88-98 Chevy IFS steering box with drop pitman arm for a late '70's Jeep Wagoneer ($60 from Summit) find some flattop knuckles if you don't already have some ($40-60to get it milled and drilled for highsteer). I used a steering column from an '87 Chevy truck, the splines matched the steering box, but I swapped in a u-joint from Speedway motors for better strength and to clear the radiator. The GM powersteering pump will bolt up to your SBC, (get the ones with O-ring hoses to match the box).

I used 52" Chevy springs up front with a shackle reversal, but I stretched the front frame a few inches. You should have plenty of room in there for a SBC

Name:  P6270036.JPG
Views: 3122
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  P5270026.JPG
Views: 5237
Size:  41.9 KB
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 10-25-2009 at 08:18 AM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Looks like a good start (minus the body lift)

A suggestion for your powersteering upgrade is to use a 88-98 Chevy IFS steering box with drop pitman arm for a late '70's Jeep Wagoneer ($60 from Summit) find some flattop knuckles if you don't already have some ($40-60to get it milled and drilled for highsteer). I used a steering column from an '87 Chevy truck, the splines matched the steering box, but I swapped in a u-joint from Speedway motors for better strength and to clear the radiator. The GM powersteering pump will bolt up to your SBC, (get the ones with O-ring hoses to match the box).

I used 52" Chevy springs up front with a shackle reversal, but I stretched the front frame a few inches. You should have plenty of room in there for a SBC

Attachment 474705

Attachment 474711
Thanks for the suggestions. We are on the same page with the power steering. This is what i have so far; Saginaw pump from a 92 camaro, power steering pump from a chevy van, steering column from a chevy van, and i ordered 2 u joints from speedway the other day (waiting for them in the mail). I was not sure what pitman arm to use. I have read that the grand cherokees had a 4" drop pitman from factory and used saginaw box. Is it a 3" drop pitman from the wagoneer?

I would like to have high steer, but i want to do it when i put the 44 in front. I was told if i bought a high steer kit for the factory front axle, i might have to buy another for the 44 because they might not be the same length. I dont have a lot of money and i dont like to buy parts twice.When i do a ji-steer, this is what I was thinking about buying.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...rs_p_1337.html
The current setup (the way i bought it) has a y link that has a lot of slop in it. I was thinking about beefing up he y link and running it (temporarily so it can be moved around) until i swap the front axle.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Hang there with the rig and try not to get too discouraged. In the long run, it will be worth it. (I think)
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM83 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We are on the same page with the power steering. This is what i have so far; Saginaw pump from a 92 camaro, power steering pump from a chevy van, steering column from a chevy van, and i ordered 2 u joints from speedway the other day (waiting for them in the mail). I was not sure what pitman arm to use. I have read that the grand cherokees had a 4" drop pitman from factory and used saginaw box. Is it a 3" drop pitman from the wagoneer?

I would like to have high steer, but i want to do it when i put the 44 in front. I was told if i bought a high steer kit for the factory front axle, i might have to buy another for the 44 because they might not be the same length. I dont have a lot of money and i dont like to buy parts twice.When i do a ji-steer, this is what I was thinking about buying.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...rs_p_1337.html
The current setup (the way i bought it) has a y link that has a lot of slop in it. I was thinking about beefing up he y link and running it (temporarily so it can be moved around) until i swap the front axle.
Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on it.

The Wagoneer dropped pitman arm was for a 4-6" lift, the actual drop on ther arm itself was only a few inches, but it worked well to clear the front crossmember (which I later cut out to fit the PSD).

I got almost all my highsteer stuff from Ballistic Fab, Arms, DOM, threaded inserts, but I used TREs.

If you need to get your knuckles milled/drilled/tapped, I used John Nutter Ent.

http://www.jnutter.com/ $50 ea includes return shipping.

There's a few others that offer it as well partsmike is another.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Not too much going on with the build. Still waiting parts from Speedway. UPS lost my package, then UPS had to open an investigation, and now they said they are having speedway re-ship the u-joints.I also spent quite a while stripping the paint from the inside of the top (sorry no pics of that). I cut off the factory steering box mount, then cleaned up the front frame with a flap disk and wire wheel. Took the shocks off each side when painting so i could put in some longer bolts. Here are some pics.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 29630
Send a message via MSN to BLK Scout 800 Send a message via Yahoo to BLK Scout 800
Quote:
Nice starting point. Are you planning on running the 52" springs up front? I'm running chevy 47" up front and 52"s out back. I'd watch the 52"s up front, you will be running into obstackles before the tire can climb them. Even on 38's
Not true you just have to set them up right....I had 52'' in front and 56's in the rear and they were fine. (see pic) later went to 56's in front and 63's in the rear and they were killer!

*EDIT*
To O/P looks good you have the basic idea for a great start seems like you did your homework
Attached Images

Last edited by BLK Scout 800; 11-08-2009 at 12:45 AM.
BLK Scout 800 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Thank you for the advice and nice Scout! I like the idea of running 52" springs up front if i don't have to extend the frame. If i do need to extend the frame i will just use 47"s. Got any more pictures of your suspension?

Last edited by JERM83; 11-08-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 69678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK Scout 800 View Post
Not true you just have to set them up right....I had 52'' in front and 56's in the rear and they were fine. (see pic) later went to 56's in front and 63's in the rear and they were killer!

*EDIT*
To O/P looks good you have the basic idea for a great start seems like you did your homework
blkscout, once upon a time huh!
wonder if he realizes where yer at now, show um a current suspention pic

Last edited by chris fresh; 11-08-2009 at 06:28 AM.
chris fresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Nice Scout Welcome to Pirate, nice to someone that understands the system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in