So... You think you want to do a 3-link? - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Dodson View Post
I agree, this would lesson the leverage and reduce the impact when the tie rod rotates, but not eliminate the problem.

I'm going to do some testing to see if the bronco solution will give me the turning radius and maintain the panhard /drag link allignment. I like the rod ends over the TREs, so well see.
I suspect the Bronco solution requires you to drill out the tapered hole in the knuckle for a through-bolt.

I like that they're using safety washers - that's good - but you lose that reamed-to-fit tapered interface that you have with the stock style tie-rod ends.

Not the end of the world, just not as forgiving/resiliant as the factory setup (read: more maintenance to ensure everything is still tight).
Old 03-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
I suspect the Bronco solution requires you to drill out the tapered hole in the knuckle for a through-bolt.

I like that they're using safety washers - that's good - but you lose that reamed-to-fit tapered interface that you have with the stock style tie-rod ends.

Not the end of the world, just not as forgiving/resiliant as the factory setup (read: more maintenance to ensure everything is still tight).
I've already drilled out the knuckles and have flip certs installed.

I'll need to see if I have room for both links above the knuckle like in this pic. I wouldn't mind having the tie rod under the knuckle and the drag link over the knuckle. I just can't believe I'm wanting a knuckle sandwich.

I really don't think I need to have the tie rod in the highest possible position to avoid damage, it is already far better than it was. I would rather not end up with the stack in the pic, and just use misalignment spacers on the drag link rod end, no spacers for the tie rod and then a big ass bolt with a custom hole for a castellated nut and cotter pin.

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #153 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Stacking :shutter: ~ at least put the TR down under it.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Stacking :shutter: ~ at least put the TR down under it.
That's what I thought as well, hence the knuckle sandwich...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-08-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #155 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm1mt View Post
I think that'll just lessen the effect, but not eliminate it.

It'll stick rock the tie-rod fore/aft a little. Just not as dramatically with the draglink mounting to the center of the rod, instead of high above.
True.

Why not use both holes in the steering arm? Like a high steer arm?
I'm guessing the drag link binds if you use the 1st hole in the steering arm?
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
True.

Why not use both holes in the steering arm? Like a high steer arm?
I'm guessing the drag link binds if you use the 1st hole in the steering arm?
With the pitman arm Im using, I can't get full range of motion with the drag link in the knuckle. When I use the Scout II pitman, The drag link is way out of sinc with the Panhard.

I need to adjust angles on the Scout II pitman of find one that will work better than the EB.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD42
. He did have to change out all the ballistic bushings in his links. They lasted 2 trips and were shot. Changed to ballistic flex joints. When he bought the bushing we were under the impression you could run them on one end and flex joints on the other. Now they say street only and they changed the material used in them. Anway should have good pictures and video after this weekend"

This is from Copperhead42 thread

My first call of the day is going to be to Ballistic. If the Ballistic joints are street use only, we're going to be looking into their return policy.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 35185
I sent an email to Ballistic expressing my concern about the bushing and durability. I received a call inside of an hour. The rep had looked at my application, knew about the other application and assured me the bushings on the axle end as I have it set up is a perfect application and I should have the expected preformance and durability. He said if I have problems in the future, feel free to call and they'll work it out with me.

The copperhead application had bushings on the frame end of a triangulated 4 link on a rock buggy and, according to Ballistic, they attempted to talk them out of bushings on this application.

I'm very satisfied with Ballistic's response and handeling of my complaint.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-09-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 135736
Back when my dad bought the bushing, ballistic said the would be fine. If they would have told him not to run them he wouldnt have. This dont need to turn into a he said she said arguement. But we were told they would be fine. Also when he ordered his on there website said nothing about offroad use or street use, now they say street use only. Many people run bushings on double triangulated 4 links with no problems. If you ask me ballistic had a problem with the material used in the bushings. Why else would they change them? Ballistic did give us a partial refund on them. We still order through ballistic and are very pleased with there products. They build hands down some of the nicest stuff around. Again if they said they will work for you, im sure they will. But the never tried to talk us out of running the bushings.

COPPERHEAD42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD42 View Post
This dont need to turn into a he said she said arguement. But we were told they would be fine. Also when he ordered his on there website said nothing about offroad use or street use, now they say street use only.
Perfect, case closed.

Travis and I has a couple of PMs to discuss this issue. I am fine with the response I received from Ballistic and I think it is good to leave the discussion on these two threads to let people know the bushings are not for every application, but are ok for some.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:

I really don't think I need to have the tie rod in the highest possible position to avoid damage, it is already far better than it was. I would rather not end up with the stack in the pic, and just use misalignment spacers on the drag link rod end, no spacers for the tie rod and then a big ass bolt with a custom hole for a castellated nut and cotter pin.
Well I have my first attempted solution on order. I'm going to try rod ends on both ends of the tie rod without any misalignment spacers. The way I see it, this will minimize how much the tie rod can roll. It won't eliminate all the the roll, but should be most of it. If that doesn't bring it down to a tolerable level, I'll start working on getting the drag link to the knuckle and see what I have to do to the pitman arm for full turning radius.

And another question. I have not driven a suspension as soft as this rig. If I step on the brake and give it some gas from a stop the front end will lift 2" - 3". Is that typical?

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-13-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
And another question. I have not driven a suspension as soft as this rig. If I step on the brake and give it some gas from a stop the front end will lift 2" - 3". Is that typical?
I assume the brakes are holding the front tires and not as well in the rear? That's just a function of your squat/ anti squat numbers. If it acts crazy on flat ground just wait until you do some steep climbs.
Be carefull.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 86878
Nice work.
Hate to nit-pick. But looks like a radius arm suspension to me.
Which would explain the unloading problems youre havingm under acceleration.

Have you considered an anti-rock?
[/COLOR][COLOR="Lime"]"Me too" short Crew build[/COLOR]

^^ Parting Out ^^
Odin K30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
I assume the brakes are holding the front tires and not as well in the rear? That's just a function of your squat/ anti squat numbers. If it acts crazy on flat ground just wait until you do some steep climbs.
Be carefull.
I'm heading out the the local OHV area today or tomorrow, well see, but I'm definately looking at the bunny slopes until I get the feel of it.

I don't have any squat / antisquat adjustments on the front end (that I'm aware of ), but I do have some pretty good adjustment on the rear for antisquat. I'll see how it does and then start tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin K30 View Post
Nice work.
Hate to nit-pick. But looks like a radius arm suspension to me.
Which would explain the unloading problems youre havingm under acceleration.

Have you considered an anti-rock?
Not concerned about nit- picking in the least, it is a radius arm set up right now.

I do have the ability to drop either of the upper links to make a 3 link with panhard if I want more articulation.

I ordered the new rod ends from Dan at Ruff Stuff and asked him about the raise I'm getting. He said if it is a big problem, stiffer rear springs may help and the cost of articulation.

These dang seat of the pants engineering projects are one compromise after another

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-13-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Buck can't you adjust you shock rate? I have coil spring set up very close to yours and I have Elderbrock shocks that do a very good job controlling my squat. Just thinking you could play with the charge or oil level to stiffen up the shock rate. Just a shot in the dark as I am not up on the coil over system.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
Buck can't you adjust you shock rate? I have coil spring set up very close to yours and I have Elderbrock shocks that do a very good job controlling my squat. Just thinking you could play with the charge or oil level to stiffen up the shock rate. Just a shot in the dark as I am not up on the coil over system.
Shock Rate, are you saying Shock valving, or spring rate?

I guess I do have a bunch of adjustment, valving, sprink rate, preload, and I can tweak the castor some as well. I'll try getting some time driving it off road, and there is a truck scale right out by the OHV park, so I'll get an accurate weight and get with my good friends at FOA to go over some numbers.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 35185
I dug out my order on the shocks.

Here is what I went with from FOA's reccommendation

> 2 x Coil Over w/reservoir 2.0
> size FOA-12
> Compression Valve Medium
> Rebound Valve Light/Med
> Mount width 1.25"
> Dual Rate Spring Hardware

The light /medium rebound is possibly my issue for the rise on the front end.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-13-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Paging Binder, Rick can Buck change the oil viscosity or air charge to control shock rate. I was just thinking he could help control dive or squat with the shock portion of the set up. Would seem to me you could control the rebound or stiffness without limiting travel. Buck I am not trying to hijack your thread just got interested as this maybe in my future. Also Tom Mandera may be able to enlighten us on the inner working and tune-ability of the coil over set up. Lastly as an airoplane mechanic I do know you could also change the orifice size on the landing gear struts to change the dampening characteristics of the struts. More like the ORI deals I am thinking, they really seam to look and operate like airplane LG struts.

Last edited by JetFxr; 03-12-2010 at 09:32 PM.
JetFxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 46467
From riding dirt bikes, we would change the oil weight and pressure on the front shocks and that made a big difference, trial and error until you got if the way you wanted it. Plus the shock valving was very tunable. The rear shock would be more like the coil overs and there you could get different springs and adjust the nut down to compress the spring too. The rear had less settings for valving.

Buck take a pic of where you have the preload set at.

Last edited by R290; 03-12-2010 at 09:50 PM.
R290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 1684
Quote:
Paging Binder, Rick can Buck change the oil viscosity or air charge to control shock rate. I was just thinking he could help control dive or squat with the shock portion of the set up. Would seem to me you could control the rebound or stiffness without limiting travel.
With coil overs you can change shock rate by changing shim stacks inside the shock. Oil viscosity makes some difference but not that much. Nitrogen charge really doesn't change rate.......You can make these adjustments to change how fast or slow the rig reacts but it will still have the same characteristics as before just slower. It may be jut fine like it is, it's hard to say from over the net. When in doubt just wheelit and find out.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Buck I am not trying to hijack your thread just got interested as this maybe in my future.
No hijack here, this is just what I'm looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Buck take a pic of where you have the preload set at.
Here is the preload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
It may be jut fine like it is, it's hard to say from over the net. When in doubt just wheelit and find out.

That's my plan, I was starting to think about redoing a bunch of crap and I said, wheel it first...

I do know I have to do something with the tie rod and I have driven it enough on the street to begin the get a feel for the steering, but really nothing yet on the wheeling. I'm meeting a buddy with a video camera tomorrow and I want to try and get some shots of suspension cycling (and hopefully not going over backward ).

I'm also looking forward to the scales and rechecking the weight of this pig.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Well, It seems to work real well. Here are a couple of pics of at the playground.

I didn't have any problems with the front end. I was going over some articulation bumps and popped a rear coil out of the retainers, but no big issue.

The unloading issue is really only in 2 wheel drive, but I can raise the front 5"-6" In 4 wheel drive, the whole rig has a bit of a balanced lift, not just the front.

As far as preformance, I started out slow and easy on some short climbs and no problem. After a while I was doing the steepest sections I tried, with a nice little double bump near the top, and everything hooked up very well.

I didn't do too much side hilling, but I think it is also going to be stable.

The road manners are quantum leaps ahead of the old setup, and it just works real well

I will be installing the rod ends and I should eliminate most of the pucker steering going arould long radius corners. No death wobble, smooth ride and hands off the wheel stability on the straights.

I had a PM from FOA on support for tuning the shocks, so I'll be working on that next week.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-13-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 125140
Looks good, I really like how it turned out.
JERM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERM83 View Post
Looks good, I really like how it turned out.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy too.

And the big pig weighs in at 5300# (with me in it too).

2900 on the front axle, 2400 rear. Its 500# more than my buddy's Scout II,

and he's a fat ass.

Last edited by Buck Dodson; 03-14-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 46467
Light weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in