Hand controlled Scout - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Hey I forgot to post this up--------------Johnsons Used Auto Parts here in Billings is tossing us a power plant and tranny from a 93ish Suburban Spensor is also giving me the computer and harness. This should be a great power plant for this project, FI and an OD tranny that will drop right in and be easy to work on for the average mechanic.

It truly inspires me the way everyone is stepping up with the economy as fucked as it is. I wish all the idiots spending millions running for office could spend one day in Charlie's chair. I am so sick of the greedy lying bastards. OK Sorry to rant, guess the politics on the TV are getting to me
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 49116
Driving a rig with only hands is going to be crazy custom. In my book thats def Pirate worthy. Keep it up!
Mach2_nh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Btw, there is a guy in a similar situation up here that run's bog ever year in a toyota with hand controls. I'll see if I can find out any details of the conversion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Well after a conversation with Todd, I learned Charlie beats up the rocker panels up loading and unloading his chair. I had a junk Blazer so I robbed the nerf bars for the build.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Loaded up the frame, off to the powder coaters. We are also doing the inner fenders, should make them last forever, these were a really nice set so I am happy to see them go to Charlie.

Gary Billings would be proud of our frame dolly
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I bought a winch for Charlie, needs a little TLC. I have a favor to ask, I just don't have the time or resources to get this thing refurbished. I would like to pull the cable and have someone go through it. I'll cover the parts and shipping both ways, if one of you folks would be up for helping out on this shoot me a PM.

On another note if you can plan on a trip to Binder Bash, this is where Charlie will have his Scout and we can all sign the hood.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 116720
I just wanted to say this a DAMN COOL thing your doing. I wish everyone had a heart as big as yours.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 4586
71Scout2 Thanks for the complement but I am very happy that I can help out with this build. I do feel like I have been very lucky and to give back a little is just my way of passing it on. Besides its a privilege to build this Scout for Charlie. Here are a couple pictures from today was a slammed day but had a VIP over at the shop.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 121943
Robert, you really should take something sharp and pointy and stab him in the leg with it. You know, to make sure he's not just playing you

Couldn't help myself, sorry. I've pitched Charlie out of that chair more times than I care to admit and I'm pretty sure them there legs don't work. You should see him swim! Good times, good times. Just got off the phone with him, He is ALL JACKED UP! Kudo's to you Robert.
64rcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I'm pretty sure the chair is for real after loading his bony ass in my offroader

He was able to transfer in Leona's Scout no issues, its SOA on 33s. I am thinking after we chatted 4" soft rides with 33s should be no problem. He likes the way a basket looks on to of the Scout so keep you eye out. I have to look around at Johnson's and see if I can scare one up. Told me the basket looks cool even if he has to get your sorry ass to load it.

Last edited by JetFxr; 11-05-2010 at 05:11 PM.
JetFxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #61 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Sorry for the delay, the flares went out today
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 4586
HCS has been a little delayed, but it will be back in the shop next week. In the mean time I got a box from Chi, thanks very much the tub will be over to paint next week. I also got handles from Broker thanks Mike they are Jeff tossed more smokin parts for Charlie SSS sent me all the lenses Thanks Rick, a reminder if you tight wads need any parts or pieces Support these guys

I also got a picture to share with you folks. Dude may be in a chair but I wouldn't want to be in his cross hairs!
Attached Images

Last edited by JetFxr; 11-18-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Last one for tonight Charlie with the Pirate salute
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 157541
man what you are doing is awesome. i cant wait to see how this turns out! subscribin to this one
Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 4586
87yotabro87, you guys skeer me. I have visions of myself out crawiln/trail riden in my POS Scout, and then some guy goes flyin by screaming his throttle is stuck to the floor
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #66 (permalink)
IH Parts America Inc

Member # 21419
That's awesome Robert. Hell you need to get Charlie to guide my pops while he's up there this week. Obviously he knows where the big ones are. Congrats Charlie!
________
The View Condo
ihojeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 11798
Send a message via AIM to scoutkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
I am thinking after we chatted 4" soft rides with 33s should be no problem.

Do you already have the springs or do you need them?
i MAY have a set of used 4" softrides for your project. i KNOW i have the rears, but i need to look for the fronts.

Let me know!
scoutkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Well winter is officially here in Montana, it is 19 deg with a steady snow all day Scout kid this build is growing and evolving each day, I got a new set of 2" springs from Jeff IHON, I kinda think 31s will be a little better for Charlie as I think he will get sick of transferring every time in a Scout that tall.

Jeff I talked to your old man, he picked up extra closes for the lower temps here and said he was fine. He also told me they got a deer today, and will be hoping for an elk tomorrow. Sounds like he's having a good time here in Montana.

The HCS will be back in the shop Monday, frame is back from powder coat, good thing cause its snow covered. I am looking for a basket for the roof of the Scout. I will be making the bumpers and a eire carrier for Charlie.

And I am still looking for a volunteer to rework the winch Hint Hint

Next week we will also be rebuilding the axles, plans are to cut and turn the front not much for Pirate but maybe a refresher. Will also be installing the IHON reverse shackle kit and rear sway bar. So tune in and tell all your friends, we really need to help out these vendors with the economy in the crapper.

Here's a picture from today, if anyone is viewing this from California or the south
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 157541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
87yotabro87, you guys skeer me. I have visions of myself out crawiln/trail riden in my POS Scout, and then some guy goes flyin by screaming his throttle is stuck to the floor
haha no need to worry about me i drive slow out on the trails. dont break as many parts that way. the only time i floor it is if im muddin haha
Old 11-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Got the frame back in the shop, had to dig it out of the snow Here it was about 40 degrees then over night it snowed about a foot and the temps have been subzero. Anyway that why we get cool stuff like this done in the winter, here are some pictures, had to install new rivnuts in the nurf bars but the foot pads are back on, and if you recall these were chrome now they powder coated along with the frame.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 4586
When we strip the frame for the powder, the brake lines are held on with some plastic clip things, they always break when you remove them. So here a shot of the frame mounted brake lines, also note they have to be rerouted around the IHON sway bars. In the next window I will go into a little more detail on this system. We use Adel clamps and self taping screws to resecure the brake lines. This makes for a nice look and secure fit. We get all the all the hardware from Fastenal for our builds, when you look under the completed Scout its just cool to see the powder coated frame and a new fastners
Attached Images

Last edited by JetFxr; 11-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Sway bars are installed in the frame, This is a nice system from IHON, it comes with everything you will need to install it, even the hole saw When you order the system talk to Jeff and he can taylor your sway bar to your needs. As you saw the holes were drilled in the frame, and sleeves welded before powder. Here the bar is installed along with the Poly bushings, also note the spacer ring between the arm and the bushing. It is important to clock the arms in the same spot on the sway bar, but if you are off a little on your holes you will be able to adjust that out with the links that will mount to the rear axle.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Ok here is the reverse shackle system from you guessed it IHON. Once again I can't say enough about the way this goes together all the parts you need, even the drill bit and hole saw. The fangs are well thought out and the swing shackles are a work of art. I/we decided to use 2" lift springs so I got with IHON and got the rough country system, springs and shocks. Jeff assures me these will have a good ride, I have always used Skyjacker before, so I will report back when the Scout is done. I will be rebuilding axles this weekend. The subzero weather has slowed down the painter a little but she is picking up the truck on Friday.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 121943
( . ) ( . ) 's

So 2" lift springs should clear 31's ok shouldn't they? Or are you still thinking 33's. With the Chevy OD tranny and 31-33" tires, it should cruise great down the freeway with 3:54 or 3:73 gears. Keep the pictures coming, they look great!
64rcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I am thinking with the Vortac and R4 it should be just like driving a Chevy, only Charlie will look like somebody cause he will be in an Omaha Orange Rallye Scout

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in