Hand controlled Scout - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Jeff was good enough to toss a IHON Reverse shackle kit at the build is one reason I installed it. My thoughts are in a Scout that is used for heavy off road situations it is a little dicey to have the shackles all unload in the same direction, however there is no dought the RS rides better. I talked to Charlie about his planed use for the Scout. He will be using it as a DD and hunting with mild offroading, and I know given the conversitions I have had with Charlie he will never be a hard core rock crawler. I am covering a lot of very minor details in this build for the young guys that have not covered a frame off rebuild before. If you look, you will see stuff like a good time to install caster adjusters or replace the ball joint bushings at the same time you replace the joints. Just trying to add basic maintaince info at the same time we are going through the rebuild process. I am also going to give all the pictures from this project to Charlie when we give him the Scout at the Just Internationals show. And there are tons of pictures that just don't make the thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 4586
A little clean up from the ball joint install. Here is a picture of the knuckle "C" and where a caster corrector would go, is you are just replacing a ball joint you should replace the sleeve, heat is your friend and there is a special socket for the job.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Got the frt axle mostly done, new rotors and loaded calipers. I just talked to John Fleck and Back Country Binders will be hooking us up with the Auto locking hubs. That will be a rap on the frt axle.

One word of caution for the newbs like me watch the placement of the brake lines, on two of my frame off Scouts, I blew past this step and the tire wore through the brake line
Attached Images

Last edited by JetFxr; 12-02-2010 at 09:35 PM.
JetFxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Ok last bit for tonight, A1 Johnsons JY donated the power plant and 700R4 for this build, its from a early 90s Suburban with around 60,000 miles. Question for the folks that know more about this combo than I do, is there any concern with the R4 and that mileage? Anyway I am thinking we just clean it up, do a fluid and filter change then let it hunt. I must say this is a good looking combo for a Scout small light and fuel efficient. Well anyway the package is all cleaned up and will be going in tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 121943
64rcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 11777
Interested to see the front bumper and hear what your thoughts are on it. Very cool to see so many people stepping up on this build!
Capt. Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 35185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFxr View Post
Ok last bit for tonight, A1 Johnsons JY donated the power plant and 700R4 for this build, its from a early 90s Suburban with around 60,000 miles. Question for the folks that know more about this combo than I do, is there any concern with the R4 and that mileage? Anyway I am thinking we just clean it up, do a fluid and filter change then let it hunt. I must say this is a good looking combo for a Scout small light and fuel efficient. Well anyway the package is all cleaned up and will be going in tomorrow.
60,000 miles is nothing for that combo... Drive it.

A Scout II trapped in an 800 body...

So you think you want to build a 3-link Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buck Dodson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Thanks Buck, engine will go in today.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Well the power plant is in The frame already was set up for the chevy motor mounts, I am really surprised at how nice this fit. here are pictures of the motor mounts, and the engine in the proper position.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Transmission is a 700R4, so we had to fab up a mount for it. Sense the cross member was already powder coated we just cut a plate and used the R4 stock mount. This looks good and is hell for stout. Pictures
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Also want to thank Seabass44 AKA 12volt Guy for a cool remote wench panel, bare in mind if you guys need any Blink wiring stuff the is the go to guy
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Have you tried fitting the transfer case yet? I think you may have an issue with the front output or drive shaft clearing the crossmember.

Last edited by CSmith; 12-03-2010 at 07:51 PM.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Thanks Cory, I knew this was too easy On Leona's Scout I hat to use the skinny Scout frt shaft turned backwards with the slip to the axle. That Scout has a 700R4 with a D300 case. I am planing on using the stock case that came on this power train, with a clocking ring. I don't have the case yet will be pulling it from the junk Blazer. I will mock it up then have to rebuild it, the case I have pops out of low range. I hope to be able to clock the case fairly flat but I guess a lot will depend on the frt shaft. Also with the reverse shackle, I will also have to scrounge up a long travel shaft. Guess I may have to hit up Jesse for one. I hade no idea how much PR/begging I would have to do when I started this build. I am trying to hold my cost down but that is also shooting through the roof

Edit: Cory, roads have been to shitty to get the HCS over to you for the Quarter panel swap, so I sent it to paint. We will just have to deal with the fenders the way they are. Thanks so much for the offer. Myself and Charlie really appreciate the offer.

Last edited by JetFxr; 12-03-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Quote:

Edit: Cory, roads have been to shitty to get the HCS over to you for the Quarter panel swap, so I sent it to paint. We will just have to deal with the fenders the way they are. Thanks so much for the offer. Myself and Charlie really appreciate the offer.
No worries. Let me know if there is anything else I could do.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 172288
Way cool and I really appreciate everyone stepping up and making this possible. Can't thank everyone enough.
mt_charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 32403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_charlie View Post
Way cool and I really appreciate everyone stepping up and making this possible. Can't thank everyone enough.
It is about time you post up in your build thread.
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Hey Mt Charlie get those hand controls together, as soon as the body comes back form paint we will need to mock everything up on the forward instrument panel. I talked to Kit today and he is ready to get the seats done, we have to find power seats for the front. Kit will be talking to Deets JY tomorrow they should toss the seat in if we can find what we need. I will be getting the back seat over to him tomorrow so he can get it recovered.
Tomorrow I am also going to talk to IH customs about a cage or at least the frt legs, they are tight to the dash and should be well suited for your Scout. The plan is to get the bars and controls all mocked up, then tear it down and install the interior. I am also looking at the floor pan around the transfercase I may have to reshape it for the clocking. Jen is going to spray bed liner as soon as she is done with paint, so I may have to work around that.
Bill just called and told me the steering box will be ready this afternoon so I will get it painted up and installed tomorrow. Loren and Ricky will be on the road this week so I will have HCS on my own.

I also need to hire two more mechanics one for Great Falls and one for Kalispell/Missoula. I have been talking to Dave a fireman that is doing the Bubba Scout over on the BP. Will be a busy week so HSC may slow down a touch.

Anyway MT_Charlie good to see you here on Pirate, this is my Board of preference, easier for me to up load, and I love the haters here. And they fully expect me to hack Scouts up, stock Scouts are unacceptable here, so I don't get my ass thumped for changing them out.

Last edited by JetFxr; 12-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 121943
Robert

Ryan here in town has a wrecked Denali with grey leather seats. The passenger seat is good, but the drivers seat has had the integrated seat belt cut out during the evac when the accident happened. Call me if you want them.

Omaha orange with black ralley stripes are going to look awesome I think!

Last edited by 64rcs; 12-09-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 4586
I tried to use seats like that in Leona's Scout, they are too wide for the floor pan. I could not get them to fit right and with Charlie we need space between the seats for the brake and handle for him to do his releases with.

Last edited by JetFxr; 12-12-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 172288
Robert - the hand controls have been order and should be here in about a week. Once they come in I will get them and ship them over to you. Hopefully that will be sometime towards the end of next week.
mt_charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 15674
Just sent a box of goodies for Charlie's Scout. Wish I could do more. Large flat rate boxes can actually hold quite a bit of weight...

Nathan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Housing director for
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Thanks Nathan, this is about everyone pitching in, so what ever you do will help out. I plan on getting HCS out of the shop today, will be on hold until the body gets back from paint. Looks like (BCB) Back Country Binders will be tossing in a straight steer brace and all the light housings we need for the truck.

I bought a SWEEEET 68 2wd short box for my brothers Christmas gift. We are going to run it in the shop for a quick upgrade. Stats are 68 2wd, 68,000 miles, zero rust, one owner, 345, 5spd, and the body is near perfect. It was owned by a gentleman over in Great Falls, had it on his ranch so it has very little road time, drove like a champ over here to Billings. This truck looks like a time capsule, paint is still shinny and the INTERNATIONAL even looks good on the tailgate. So plans are 3/4 tom axles, 35" tires, power steering, power brakes, upgrade the exhaust system and maybe a radio. My little brother has not be into IH so I am thinking he will be when he is pimpin around in this fine truck. I toss a few pictures as we move forward with this one.

Todd I was nice to him and he ripped me off, just call em like I see em. And from the looks of your rear axle, he slid the meat to you also.

Last edited by JetFxr; 12-10-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #123 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20999
Quote:
..............and I know given the conversations I have had with Charlie he will never be a hard core rock crawler.

tell Charles to kick his brother in law in the butt and come down to CA. A little time on fordyce might convert him. In all seriousness i have yet to see the nurse in any of the pictures. Is he still too busy trying to build that heavy ass traveler that i hauled up from ca for him.

great build for a good guy

Dusty

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA,
and some

I miss my

Support Frank the Tank

Last edited by ddestruel; 12-10-2010 at 08:58 AM.
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 4586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just sent a box of goodies for Charlie's Scout. Wish I could do more. Large flat rate boxes can actually hold quite a bit of weight...

Nathan

Nathan, You Sir are the reason I enjoy this hobby. For everyone else Nathan has sent a package of parts he make in his shop, tabs brackets, and a hand throttle, in a time when his economy is uncertain. He also sent a bunch of IH advertising from the day, way cool for the Scout Shop. Bottom line if there is any product you guys need see Nathan, and maybe Nathan you can post up what you make. I love the idea that a fellow I have never meet would send a box full of cool stuff on his dime to help out another fellow he has never meet. That is why Internationals are just a cool ride and the folks that drive them are just plan great folks.

As far as a picture goes Nathan, I will send you the complete build file on CD when it's done. When we build a frame off Scout for someone they get a complete build file, on disc.

Lastly Nathan, Thank you from myself and Charlie.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 121943
I headed over to Billings today to pick up my scout and see the HCS in the flesh. Was greeted by Leona and offered a hot meal. After my scout was loaded, Robert and I headed into the "barn" to look things over. I must say, the HCS is looking WAY cool so far. I want to thank everyone for helping out Robert build this scout. From the frame powder coating to the engine and suspension, this build is one for the books. Even the box of goodies Nathan shipped over is extremely appreciated.

Thanks to everyone, and especially Robert for doing what he is doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in