81 P'up Diesel Getting Solid Toyota Axles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Isuzu
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 139345
81 P'up Diesel SAS - IFS out now.

So this is my first post I have been a foolish guy lurking all the time. Some of you may have seen me post (not often) on isuzupup but it has been a while.

I have been planning this swap for almost 3 years now and just now am doing it since my hours at work have been cut I will have extra time. And I just picked up a Solid axle yota I will be pulling parts off it. I have had a set of axles for almost 3 years but now have an extra set.

I was wanting to get a offroad unit usable by the end of August and have been trying to decide if it would be cheaper to do my LandRover or the Isuzu and for just getting on the trail not getting every little thing fixed the Isuzu doing the swap is the cheapest.

I plan to do a leaf spring over setup using toyota stock springs for now and the toyota axles front and rear. I will be building my own crossover highsteer setup using cnc machined billet steel arms thick tubing and Chevy 1 ton tie rod ends (for cheapness and easy to find anywhere). I was thinking of building a square tube front drive shaft but may look to see if I can make an og toyota drive shaft work, it would be nice if I could use yota drive shafts front and back but will find out in a few days. I will have to find out about the brake lines and what will work hopefully I can find something easy to find. I will also be makeing the wheelbase slightly longer in the front for tire clearance. I will use my 4.10 gears if I have two of them I still have not opend up a rear axle to see. If not I will be stuck with the 3.90s I am going to weld the spider gears for now. I am trying this on the trail for as cheap as possible.

I also need to do a timing belt swap, adjust the valves and get a bigger radiator in.

I am trying to get this done by Labor Day weekend cause I am wanting to go to Disney with it.

I have tryed to search for older Isuzu P'ups with sas but could not find any could anyone post of some pics or links if they have some.

I will get pics up one of these days of it. And the progress.

Word.

Last edited by KungFooMASTA; 08-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
KungFooMASTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Some pics (If they work)

Before I got it my friend had it.
Next to his Datsun Diesel they also have another 86 Pup Diesel.

Now Flexstyle..............Not.
Just seeing how bad the flex is before the sas.

The only things that were done to it was done by my friend. It has a 3-4inch lift from cranked torsion bars and shackles in the rear if you know these trucks they sit super low stock so after the lift it still looks low compared to a stock Yota. It has 27x8.50r14 Kumho Powerguard MTs and a 4" stack that I talked my friend into putting on years before I bought it.

The only thing this truck has going for it now is the stack straightpiped and smoking it is loud redneck style.

Word.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFooMASTA View Post
The only thing this truck has going for it now is the stack straightpiped and smoking it is loud redneck style.

Word.
i'd say if you lost the gay-ass stack it'd be a pretty cool truck.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Fuck Your Couch

Last edited by KungFooMASTA; 08-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 132904
i found this thread usefull when i did mine

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...rt=&PHPSESSID=

read all of the links from top to bottom,helps you to get the ball rolling

Last edited by carlw; 08-02-2009 at 03:24 PM.
carlw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Thanks carlw that is helpfull and interesting. I have only read a few of those so far but will read the others when I get more time.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 20491
If you have any questions or wanna look at my SAS Trooper. I'm just down 54 near Wichita. I wouldn't mind seeing your progress too.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell417 View Post
If you have any questions or wanna look at my SAS Trooper. I'm just down 54 near Wichita. I wouldn't mind seeing your progress too.
Hey that would be cool I was looking at some of your posts a while ago your Trooper is cool. I was kind of wondering how similar a Trooper frame is to an older pup. I'll pm you later.

Here is where I am at today I have the old IFS unbolted and the front axle out. Now I need to torch the brackets and put my Toyota axle back together and get it under there to see where I am at with things.

Last pics of IFS.

IFS out.

Bad CV one of the reasons that IFS sucks.

Oil Pan Clearance. Looks Like I might have some decent room to work with but I will find out.

Word.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Torched off some of the brackets. At least what I know I am not going to use.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55182
looks good, ill be watching this, we just started the build of the exact truck for my friend, SAS is still a ways off, but so far we welded the rear and threw on some 35s and hacked the firewall to fit them : )
Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 139345
I have not got a whole lot done lately. I have been working on one of my Toyota's getting it ready to wheel since it is going to take less to get it going.

I have cut some more of the brackets off and grinded everything down. Mostly I have been messing with the axle itself cleaning it up cutting off brackets and grinding them down. I need to get a knuckle rebuild kit for it but I was thinking of just putting it together with out that stuff yet, since I am not going to be driveing on it just using it for mock up.

I was planning on using Toyota rear springs on the front but was wondering if anyone has done that. I took the overload springs off and cut them down to as long as the spring perch on the axle. Is this going to make them to soft? I do not know if I need to add some longer thiner leaves to make up for taking the over loads off. I am not building this truck to race on a road course so if its a little soft thats ok because I want the most flex style I can get. But I dont want the truck to fall over going around a corner at 15mph.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 64490
The beauty of doing rufs, or any springs you set up by mixing and matching, is that you can set them up exactly like you want. You'll pretty much have to just do some mixing and matching till you get it like you want. It's usually best to start with the top 2 leafs with a milwrap 2nd leaf and take it from there.

I wish you'd get some more done on this, I'm very curious to see how it comes out!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20491
I am running Trooper rear leaf springs up front, very similar to Toyota rear leaf springs. Kept the overload, it doesn't come into play till axle is near the frame. And rides nice, not too stiff. I am shackle forward, don't worry. Others have gone shackle rear.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 139345
The reason I am going with Toyota parts and the shackle in the rear is because I have 3 Toyotas so I am just kind of going off of how they are. I dont really know the advantage or dissadvantage of shackle front or rear, other than I have heard Jeep people likeing them in front for climbing. If it does not workout this way I will just cut it off and do something else.

Today I pulled my Toyota rear axle apart only to find it has worthless 3.90 gears. How is it that only 81 Yotas had 3.90s but all five or six Yotas in this county are 81s. I was told by the guy I got the rear axle from it had 4.10s, guess not.

So now I have one front axle with 4.10s and 2 with 3.90s and 3 rears plus an extra third with 3.90s. FML I guess now is the time to go to 5.29s.

Last edited by KungFooMASTA; 08-24-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 106119
Any updates? I think this is a cool little project and has potential. I also think it's a good idea to go with Yota parts.
spencevans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Ihave not got anything done to it lately I have been spending most of my time working on my 81 toyota to get it off roadable. I sold my daily driver of a 280zx so Ive been driving my Blazer n so right now I am working to get my VW diesel going so I can save some fuel. then I will get the pup done. i am guessing i will get the pup going in a few months from now.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 20491
Any progress?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 139345
No it is just sitting in my drive. I keep buying Toyotas to"wheel till i get the Isuzu done." But that causes me to keep putting off finishing the truck, sad thing is I have just got rid of the Toy i been using just so I would be forced into finishing the Pup, but i just went out and bought another Toyota. i planned to use it for parts for the Isuzu but idk i might just fix it wheel it and sell it.
Right now i plan to get the Isuzu done by Rocktober at Disney this year. But i know how my plans work out. My problem is I dont like spending money on anything so Ive been going to build hight steer arms for it and crossover steering, but I have not had the extra time at work. I know it seems ive abandoned this project but I just have so many other project vehicles and not enough time or money. I will finish this thing soon Im tired of it sitting in my driveway unmoveable. Word!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 139345
So i still havent done much to the Pup, but I did roll one of my extra Toyota axles under it to see how it would fit. I am very happy with how it looks to work under there. I have lots of room for axle tube and third member clearance. i think my only issues will be with the front of the spring sticking so far out, but to fix that I will extend the frame a few inchs and build a front crossmember that will have a winch mount and tie into a bumper, so it wont be as bad. Also my issue with the steering, i would like to run the tie rod behind the axle, but i want crossover steering. So does anyone know of a good steering box that steers the opposite direction as the Isuzu box? I mean when you turn the wheel right the arm moves left so i can mount the seering rod behind the axle.

So maybe after I build some spring hangers I can get it in there then deal with the smaller stuff as I go. i still need to figure out if I can get the diff angle and the caster to agree with the springs or if I will have to use a wedge or rotate the perchs. And I am thinking of using Toy fronts since the rufs had so much arch I want to keep it kind of low. I just wish the Toy fronts had an offset pin that would help with my spring sticking out so far. But I might just use a Toy rear main spring and ad what i need. IDk, im just saying loud noises and random words.

Word!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 139345
So its time for my yearly post about working on the Isuzu. I built some spring hangers, shackles, bushing spacers and such. My friend that is a welder offered to help me with it and being how I dont trust my welds I decided that I need to get this done while he is here to help me because he is only back in town every month or so being an oil field welder.

I used a jig to get the front spring hangers straight. now I will put the springs on and use another jig to hang the rear hangers. It will be nice to get this thing rollable since I havent been able to move it in almost 2 years. I think if I get this big part out of the way I will be able to get the other stuff done quicker.

So what is the best way when I weld the rear hangers should the shacke be straight up and down since there is no weight on the spring or should I have the bottom of the shackle towards the back a little. It cant pop backwards to far because it will hit the front plate I have the hangers welded to.

I built the shackles the same length as Toyota rear shackles are because I decided to use Toyota rear springs. I would assume they are the correct length for when the spring flattens out but im not sure. I didnt want to build them to long.

It is mostly just tacked on for now I want to make sure it is straight after its all on.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 188006
Looks good, I think your on the right path.
One concern is your plan to use high steer. It isnt going to work with the stock steering box. The drag link and tie rod are going to hit each other. A standard cross over arm with the tie rod in the stock location is a better solution. The other options are tie rod behind the axle or move the steering box quite a bit forward.
The early t-case has a longer front driveshaft than the later model stuff, so that is good. The crappy low range isn't great, but the diesel torque should help.
chadzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 139345
Yeah Im kind of wondering what im gonna do about the steering also. I am for sure gonna have to move the box as far forward as I can. I dont know but I thought about trying to use a toyota ifs box.

I might have to add a few leaves to the springs because with the weight of the truck they just went completly flat. I like how low it is but there is only a 2.5 or 3 inches till the bumpstops hit. I will try it like this if I can because I want it low but I dont know how it will do Im worried as soft as they are I will have a lot of axle wrap.

Well I guess now I need steering, brakes, shocks and driveshafts and I will be good oh and the rear axle but I dont think that will be a problem.

This is not the axle going in it I just used it to test fit. These are not the tires im using either its just something for it to set on.

No axle just springs looking at this you would say oh that thing is gonna set way to high.

But It sets nicely I wish it works out I like how low it is.

Word Fishes!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 127511
good work nice welds. that shackle angle looks a little horizontal but if you decide to correct it dont go to far cuz if the shackles invert its a pain in the ass.
zukiscoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
any updates?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 139345
No I drove it backwards 5 feet does that count? Lol. I have been busy getting my Land Rover going, and moving my pregnant girl friend into my house. Also its been 100+degrees for the past 2 months. I will get to it, sorry to everyone that this is the slowest build in the world. I will get it done....Someday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in