Titanium Dana 30 Axles - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Also, the 'production' run might have only ever been 1 set. Maybe the guy in this thread bought the set in the prior pictures, they just cleaned them before they sent them to him.
That is entirely possible since the company rep that swore he had nothing to do with the company said he was giving up on them
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 53453
The whole thing is kinda weird.

Primal Offroad has a Facebook page, and there is two comments (from other people) on there alluding to them making CV axles for D30s. There is nothing else on the page, I'm guessing they scrubbed it when they stopped selling them.

Wheel-spacers.com has an email address that is [email protected]. So, same people.

Install instructions:
http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/Ge...0-E601AAA5DF89

They do look like stock outers in those pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 05-03-2016 at 02:22 PM.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 88747
It just would have been nice if the guy selling them would have answered the question about what the cv joints were made of and the possibility of replacing them later instead of taking the flame war bait, spouting advertising jargon about the size of his warehouse then logging off. Its good to see they are working out for someone at least. Hopefully their product support isn't as bad as their marketing department.
helidump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 671930
They cleaned them well then. LOL! they are still selling them on Ebay. I can understand the problems with production costs and run sizes, it is possible as mentioned previously that the CV cages are from a different application (Dodge, Ford.... etc.) and they just pressed shafts in there? The truth is that they BARELY fit in the hub, so the cages are visibly larger than GC. I wanted to start a discussion between guys who know their stuff. Its interesting that Spidr mentioned GC CV axles. what do you guys think of that? My brother just bought an XJ and wanted to switch the U joints for CV axles, and i thought the GC was a good deal for the money. Thoughts?
92cherokeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 178019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92cherokeeguy View Post
They cleaned them well then. LOL! they are still selling them on Ebay. I can understand the problems with production costs and run sizes, it is possible as mentioned previously that the CV cages are from a different application (Dodge, Ford.... etc.) and they just pressed shafts in there? The truth is that they BARELY fit in the hub, so the cages are visibly larger than GC. I wanted to start a discussion between guys who know their stuff. Its interesting that Spidr mentioned GC CV axles. what do you guys think of that? My brother just bought an XJ and wanted to switch the U joints for CV axles, and i thought the GC was a good deal for the money. Thoughts?
Factor GC CV axles are weaker than Factory 760X axles
Old 05-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
Originally Posted by n20jeep View Post
In a straight line? Maybe.

Turning? I highly doubt it.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by n20jeep View Post
Do you have real world numbers to prove it? AFAIK nobody has ever put them in an axle testing apparatus, since such an apparatus is a rare thing to have, and the GC CV axles long had a stigma as people thought they were the same as the early Quadratrac XJ CVs.

As Spidr alludes, personally I bet they're stronger when you're approaching the steering lock. But who knows, I know people who run them with success, I also know somebody who managed to detonate a R&P while running early 260X shafts (locked). There is many variables in any failure situation, which is why short of putting them in a tester it's all just butt-dyno certification of mediocrity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Link to eBay ad? To me visting eBay is like fucking a hooker with AIDS, if I'm gonna go there it's gonna be a quick in and out.

If these CVs are from a different application, I would love to know. If this is something that a guy could potentially DIY then I'd be very much interested in exploring the option. There is certainly larger CVs than the GC ones out there, it's just not something that really has been explored in depth.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 671930
Quote:
Link to eBay ad? To me visting eBay is like fucking a hooker with AIDS, if I'm gonna go there it's gonna be a quick in and out.

If these CVs are from a different application, I would love to know. If this is something that a guy could potentially DIY then I'd be very much interested in exploring the option. There is certainly larger CVs than the GC ones out there, it's just not something that really has been explored in depth.

LOL! that hooker visual....
Here you go, they have them for both the dana 30 and 44.
Dana 30 Front Jeep Axle Upgrade | eBay

It also looks like they changed their warranty......... again.

Last edited by 92cherokeeguy; 05-04-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
Attach those to a 4340 chromoly shaft that tested more than 225 ftlbs stronger than a stock Dana 44 and you’ve got an axle that is Built For Battle.
I'll have to remember my Ebay username so I can go ask. Because obviously they've extensively tested these and have numbers to back this up........
Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 671930
They are talking about the shafts being stronger.... the elephant in the room is the cage and I have no idea where those come from. Any 4340 shaft WILL be stronger than a similarly sized stock shaft. The biggest reason for me to like the CV's over u joints, is their added strengths at angles, a U joint loses 50% of its strength at 45 degrees. (many U joint fanatics won't admit it) but that's a fact.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Quote:
They are talking about the shafts being stronger.... the elephant in the room is the cage and I have no idea where those come from. Any 4340 shaft WILL be stronger than a similarly sized stock shaft. The biggest reason for me to like the CV's over u joints, is their added strengths at angles, a U joint loses 50% of its strength at 45 degrees. (many U joint fanatics won't admit it) but that's a fact.
Except that they are making the claim against D44 shafts. Which are not the same size, and the strength increase is marginal compared to aftermarket chromo shafts, and is still a bullshit number, as you mentioned the cage......

There are very few axle testing machines out there, so if they have the numbers, which I doubt, then one of the major companies out there has physically had their hands on these.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 53453
I asked the guy. We'll see what he says. Somebody else should ask him too, so he knows we're serious.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 671930
Yes, 225 Ft Lbs is not a lot, but you have to consider that a stock D44 shaft measures 1.310" and these D30 are 1.160" given the .150" difference against the D30, it is still impressive that the shafts are even "marginally" stronger. In all fairness, an axle testing machine is not that difficult to put together, you need two strong splined blocks, a way to generate rotation (hydraulic probably) and a way to measure the force exerted on the axle, I would love to see a strength number for the "cage / shaft" combo. RCV was doing a similar live demonstration at a show.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 671930
Quote:
I asked the guy. We'll see what he says. Somebody else should ask him too, so he knows we're serious.
Did you ask about the cages? please keep us posted. I'm gonna ask them about warranty, because it seems like they change that depending on the day of the week.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #166 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
Interesting, it's showing no questions asked.

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY Racing View Post
Interesting, it's showing no questions asked.
I don't know how it works, see prior comment about hooker with AIDS. I think he has to 'approve' the question before it shows, so I can't just fill the questions with Yo Momma jokes.

Or I fucked it up. Also see prior comment about hooker with AIDS.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #168 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 136091
Location: Back in the good 'ol U S of A after three long deployements!
Ah, I don't deal much with ebay. I didn't realize that questions had to be approved.

1989 XJ on 35s Work in Progress
GFY Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 178019
the company is a joke

"no questions asked warranty" "if it breaks, its covered, for life"

just till 60 days though.....then you start paying for them to replace.

unlike RCV, which is a real true no questions warranty if you break it.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY Racing View Post
Ah, I don't deal much with ebay. I didn't realize that questions had to be approved.
That's what I'm assuming at least. I clicked "ask a question" and it had this stupid fucking FAQ shit about shipping and returns, which was exactly what was in the ad, then at the bottom it had "contact seller for other questions", clicked that, typed my shit, and away it went. But it shows in my sent messages. So I don't know if I can actually ask a question and have it show on the ad. Like I said, other people should ask, because I think they might just ignore me.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 671930
Quote:
That's what I'm assuming at least. I clicked "ask a question" and it had this stupid fucking FAQ shit about shipping and returns, which was exactly what was in the ad, then at the bottom it had "contact seller for other questions", clicked that, typed my shit, and away it went. But it shows in my sent messages. So I don't know if I can actually ask a question and have it show on the ad. Like I said, other people should ask, because I think they might just ignore me.
I asked about the warranty, I had been in contact with them in the past, and they were quick to reply. I followed the same process to send my message. I hope someone is monitoring that inbox.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in