LOW COG XJ & ZJ pics! - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 561226
Sorry, had to revive for a question.

How are guys generally measuring "lift" here? I see a lot of rigs that don't look as tall as my 6" on 35's, but claim 8" on 38's, or rigs that look 4" taller than mine, claiming 3" lift.

Yea, I get that bigger shoes = more chassis lift, but I generally go on axle to frame distance vs. stock. Reading through other guys numbers posted here, seems like half are measuring frame to axle and the other half are measuring frame to ground (and then a few guys ... I've got no effin' idea).

I've got 6ish inches of lift over stock measured from axle to frame, on 35's. That to me, doesn't seem anywhere near low COG. Generally what frame/axle or frame/ground numbers are we looking for before calling ourselves low COG?

Last edited by blistovmhz; 06-23-2015 at 01:02 PM.
blistovmhz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 24741
Send a message via AIM to Kraqa Send a message via MSN to Kraqa
always measure lift in the change of distance as it relates to the axle/frame from the stock location. getting height from a larger tire is not a lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistovmhz View Post
Sorry, had to revive for a question.

How are guys generally measuring "lift" here? I see a lot of rigs that don't look as tall as my 6" on 35's, but claim 8" on 38's, or rigs that look 4" taller than mine, claiming 3" lift.

Yea, I get that bigger shoes = more chassis lift, but I generally go on axle to frame distance vs. stock. Reading through other guys numbers posted here, seems like half are measuring frame to axle and the other half are measuring frame to ground (and then a few guys ... I've got no effin' idea).

I've got 6ish inches of lift over stock measured from axle to frame, on 35's. That to me, doesn't seem anywhere near low COG. Generally what frame/axle or frame/ground numbers are we looking for before calling ourselves low COG?

Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | RCV Performance Shafts | Redwood Plastics & Rubber

Instagram & Twitter: @Kraqa
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 561226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
always measure lift in the change of distance as it relates to the axle/frame from the stock location. getting height from a larger tire is not a lift.
My thoughts as well, but looking at a lot of these pictures, I suspect not everyone does it that way.

Here's mine for reference, sitting on 35's.

Damn, that's really the only shot I have of the Jeep sitting level. Took a while to find.

Ass has moved up about 1" after adding another leaf to the 63" pack to level things out and stiffen it up.
Relative to stock height (measured axle to frame):
Front = +6.5"
Rear = +5.5"-6.5" depending on load

I think I get about 10" uptravel in front and around 8" rear. No idea on droop. All I know is it'll drop far enough for my coil to fall out, but that never happens because my brake lines hold it all together Rear drops a LOOONG way. Probably too much droop on both ends. I don't understand how anyone has issues with flex with radius arms.

All that said though, this junk is nowhere near low COG imo. I'm trying to figure a way to drop the COG at least 2-3". Not sure if I'm going to drop COG by adding un-sprung mass, or removing the roof rack (it's only about 80lbs), or removing the spare tire, or saying fuck it and just build a cage and stop worrying about it

Who's got suggestions on lowering the COG? I really do like my clearance, but I don't mind moving to 37's and dropping suspension an inch or so. The 5.3L I think really increases the COG.

Last edited by blistovmhz; 06-23-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 178019
judging by your shock in the first picture, id say more like 5ish" up travel up front.

if you really want to drop the COG, the most obvious answer is use lower springs, and measure for new bumpstops and shocks.
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 561226
Quote:
Originally Posted by n20jeep View Post
judging by your shock in the first picture, id say more like 5ish" up travel up front.

if you really want to drop the COG, the most obvious answer is use lower springs, and measure for new bumpstops and shocks.
Yea, and I may lower it, but there are a few issues I'm not really sure resolving is worth it.
1. I'd have to do way stiffer compression valving. Junk is 5000lbs now and I bottom it out constantly, both front and back (treated like a bitch). Running ... whatever shocks bilstein valves for a newer rubicon with 5" lift. Don't recall the numbers but they're already pretty stiff. I'd probably have to upgrade to a rebuildable/revalveable shock to deal with the high speed compression. That said, I've been thinking about going that route anyway. The bils are nice for a weekend bomber, but no where near what I'd ultimately like.
2. I like my ground clearance. It's just right for the terrain in the area. I'd be on 37's now if I thought my poor axles could deal with it, but ya know.. It's also my DD (which is sorta the point of this build). If I go tonnes, I solve the COG issue as well the shoe size limit all in one fell swoop. Starting to think more and more that the tonnes may be the answer.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 445330
My rig in it's finishing stages. Dodge 60s full widths and 37s, Front measures about 4 inches over stock, rear measures 3 with spare and gear in it, 18 inches of clearance too the lowest brackets, 24 inches of clearance too the box sliders(will be boat sides after plating). Amazingly stable compared to the same height on 33s and factory axles.

Build thread here

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...g-low-cog.html

Last edited by BentWrench; 07-31-2015 at 12:42 PM.
BentWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 AM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 143482
Send a message via MSN to Kristján Stefánsson
This is mine. 4" lift and 38's

Kristján Stefánsson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristján Stefánsson View Post
This is mine. 4" lift and 38's
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 74581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentWrench View Post
looks great
Old 08-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 561226
*edit* just realised I already posted on this, but plans have somewhat changed.

I don't at all consider my heep LOW COG, but it's not horrible. That said, I'm currently trying to find ways to lower it without going tonnes (I really don't like giant pumpkins, I don't want to run 37's to keep ground clearance, and tonnes + dd is a bitch in Canada).

98 XJ, 5.3L/4l65e, plated/braced, 35x12.5", 6" front, 5.5" rear, 63" chevy leafs rear, so I can get loads of up-travel (once the comp-cut is done), currently weighing in at 5000lbs loaded.

Yes, roof basket isn't helping, nor is the spare tire carrier. I'm addressing that right now. Unfortunately, I absolutely need a full size spare as well as enough tools, recovery gear, and camping gear (just in case) any time I'm out of radio range (long story short, health issues. can't afford to be stranded).
With tools and emergency gear in the back, there's no room for a 35" spare. I figure I can either mount the spare on the roof (I'm not sure if this'll increase COG or not, cause it'd only be the tire, and the swing out would get cut off), or cut out the hatch to make the spare fit on the floor. At the same time, I'm planning on caging right soon. That removes the basket and swing out, but still probably adds most of that mass right back where I started.

I can probably drop the front down an inch or two, and once I've got the rear wells comp-cut, I can drop it 1 inch. This will help, but I feel like I really need to either add unsprung mass, or decrease sprung mass.

Thoughts/suggestions? How much will losing the basket and spare really help? I'm real close to tempted to just chop a few inches off my front coils and bump stop more aggressively, but on the high speed stuff, I'm already bottoming out often. Both the front and rear need some stiffer shocks which may help a bit on the compression, but either way, lowering it more than an inch just ain't in the cards with how I wheel.

Last edited by blistovmhz; 08-28-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 170514
ill play

40s and stuff sorry for for the sideways bizness for some reason it wont stay in the right orientation
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 506761
Ttocs looks good! What hight do you run your ori's?
SnowLynx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 170514
ORIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLynx View Post
Ttocs looks good! What hight do you run your ori's?
If I am just playing in rock , 4-5 inch of shaft showing If Im running at speed for an distance 6+ they are a 14 inch stroke ,and worth every cent!
Old 12-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 506761
I have 14s front and just put them on the rear. I was running them 6-8" but think I'm gonna run 4-5 just wondering how the ride would be.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:30 AM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 235388
My work in progress 4.5 on 38s. Well there tsl''s so they don't measure 38 but close enough lol
Attached Images

Last edited by nathan9mile; 12-20-2015 at 12:33 AM.
nathan9mile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 165184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post

If it raises the rig it's considered lift ...your COG is raised be it from adding a 2 inch coil spacer or going up 4 sizes in tire . measuring from axle to frame only tells you how much suspension lift you have over stock measuring from ground to roof---if you still have stock one---tells you how much overall luft you have over stock . from level ground to frame works as well .
Mr.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 178019
around 5.5 ish i think, and 40x13.5x17 MTR's.
[/URL

Last edited by n20jeep; 12-25-2015 at 07:11 PM.
n20jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 24741
Send a message via AIM to Kraqa Send a message via MSN to Kraqa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blue View Post
If it raises the rig it's considered lift ...your COG is raised be it from adding a 2 inch coil spacer or going up 4 sizes in tire . measuring from axle to frame only tells you how much suspension lift you have over stock measuring from ground to roof---if you still have stock one---tells you how much overall luft you have over stock . from level ground to frame works as well .
when you talk about how much lift you have, measuring the lift from tires doesn't count.

thats all im saying.

Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | RCV Performance Shafts | Redwood Plastics & Rubber

Instagram & Twitter: @Kraqa
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 231834
Have not thrown this is in here yet.

Around 4" I assume (3" coils/leaf on ruffstuff brackets). 37s, 107" wb.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 131965
That thing turned out perfect.

An exo cage, pair of bumpers and boatsides, i would of wheeled the piss out of it. lol
MudWild680 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #221 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I built a very similar XJ earlier this year. 44/9 on 37's with roughly 4-5" lift and 5"/3" stretch.
Attached Images

Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 231834
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWild680 View Post
That thing turned out perfect.

An exo cage, pair of bumpers and boatsides, i would of wheeled the piss out of it. lol
Thanks man. It was relatively fun building it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I built a very similar XJ earlier this year. 44/9 on 37's with roughly 4-5" lift and 5"/3" stretch.
Ha, for sure. Yours turned out nice.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 131965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
You have caused me to potentially waste my first new born, in my pants.

Awesome build.
MudWild680 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 506761
Just got mine out of the driveway for the first time since finishing it today. 42s and ORIs. sitting next to my buddys TJ on 37s and a 7" lift.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 42341
As I was saying over on the book of faces, that new stance is wicked man. Looks great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dovenosed 5 speed WJ on 9"s
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in