atlas t case. should i or should i not? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67732
atlas t case. should i or should i not?

ok, as im gathering parts for my build i have one decision i am having a hard time making. i figure for 2500-3000 i can buy an atlas used or new, whatever. i understand that for around a grand i can get an underdrive but for the extra thousand to 1500 id rather just go atlas.

typical 3/4 link xj on tons with 40s, probably stickies. do i NEED an atlas. or should i just go lower axle gears and run the stock tcase. i could put the atlass money into other parts of the build. what say the hardcore cherokee owners? my main thing is i want to travel long distances to wheel and dont want to break 30 minutes into the weekend.

[QUOTE=jettscott;14783350]That guy can go fuck himself with whatever power tools he has left.[/QUOTE]

[color=red][SIZE="3"][b]For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE][/b][/color]
Honky Lips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21982

Atlas. Save money by going spools or welded if you have to. Low gears help, and throw it in front-only to steer if it pushes. Sticky tires suggest trailer rig to me.
Phil The Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Build a doubler and save yourself $2K.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 67732
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Build a doubler and save yourself $2K.
what doubler and will it be as strong as the atlas? strength is what im going for here. most wheeling trips are a minimum 3 hour drive and i dont want to break every time i go out.

[QUOTE=jettscott;14783350]That guy can go fuck himself with whatever power tools he has left.[/QUOTE]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIZE][/b][/color]
Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil The Thrill View Post
Atlas. Save money by going spools or welded if you have to. Low gears help, and throw it in front-only to steer if it pushes. Sticky tires suggest trailer rig to me.
i plan on welding/spool the rear. the front ill spool. i have the 2.75 psc dual ended ram steering kit so steering ability isnt an issue. im not worried about being able to disengage a front locker as of now. definite trailer rig.

[/SIZE][/b][/color]

Last edited by Honky Lips; 04-13-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Lips View Post
what doubler and will it be as strong as the atlas? strength is what im going for here. most wheeling trips are a minimum 3 hour drive and i dont want to break every time i go out.
I've only ever seen 1 NP231/D300 doubler (the doubler I mentioned) broken and that was on here- vettboy's. I think his ended up being more of a "freak" accident.

Will it be as strong as an atlas? No, but packaging, price, and weight-wise it's got the atlas beat. Plus the 4.0 doesn't make enough power to tear up the D300 unless it's wildly neglected.

The NP231/D300 doubler is what I'll be building for my XJ, which will be driven to the trails 6-8 hours away. So I'm building a rig with the same concepts of "shit can't break or I'm fawked" mentality as you.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 138544
I run a dd machine billet box 231/205 doubler. The 205 is way overkill, but i didn't want to worry about popping outputs. For packaging and simplicity I wish I went atlas. But then again my doubler cost me $800 total for the doubler kit and cases.
Amadeus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 67732
dd machine is impossible to get ahold of. i dont think he's making them anymore actually. tried that and afer not being able to contact him theres no way im ordering anything from him.

[/SIZE][/b][/color]

Last edited by Honky Lips; 04-13-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Yes you NEED lower t-case gearing than stock.

Atlas will be very strong for your application, its not over kill it is exactly what it was designed for. The 4 speed 5.44:1 is what you should get, it will bolt in pretty easily.

A NP231 to d300 will fit well but I think it is too weak, the D300 will require $$ to make it survive, upgraded D300s track cases (under 4.0L Aw4 power). A N231 205 doubler will be cheap and reliable but it will not be easy to mount, trans tunnel and seat mounts will need to be relocated to fit. The 1979 Dodge 203 (23 spline) to Ford 205 is the strongest doubler option but the 203 leaves you no hope of keeping any of the OEM trans tunnel or seat mounts. I also dont think 4:1 would be enough low behind the little 4.0L.

The atlas is one of those pay to save time options.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 67732
After doing a little thinking the four-speed atlas maybe what I need because around here it's not all rocks there's some dirt hill climbs and stuff like that that needs a wheel speed I never thought about that before.

Having the two speed would only leave you high and a very low gear ratio and in the parks where there's a lot of dirt trails I wouldn't fare so well

[/SIZE][/b][/color]

Last edited by Honky Lips; 04-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 138544
So in addition to my previous post I ran the stock 231 behind my 4.0 with 4.88's in the axles on 42" pitbulls for 2 seasons before I went to the doubler. It certainly wasn't ideal but it wasn't terrible either. Depends more on the kind of wheeling you do. Hill climbs and trail wheeling it was fine. Technical rock crawling it was difficult.

I'm on 39 red labels now and really considering going to a 2 speed 4:1 case instead of the doubler. Mostly for packaging but I've found the 5.4:1 low low is not necessary even in pretty technical crawling.

I'm also a big fan of running what you have to learn what you want. You can always run your current stock case and see how it works. Then upgrade once you figure out what you want.
Amadeus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 191126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus3 View Post
I run a dd machine billet box 231/205 doubler. The 205 is way overkill, but i didn't want to worry about popping outputs. For packaging and simplicity I wish I went atlas. But then again my doubler cost me $800 total for the doubler kit and cases.

I am guessing you ordered your box to bolt to AW4 and have a 205 bolt to the back? My D&D box has jeep pattern front and rear. It currently has a D20 bolted behind it, the 20 having a Jeep input conversion. I have considered trying to swap a 205 for the 20, but I can't find any info on adapting a 205 directly to anything Jeep.

I have an HD 32 spl output on the 20. There is no upgrade for the front 10 spline. I will probably run this and if/when I have problems I will just buy a 4.3:1 Atlas.
xjh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Polishing a D300 is a waste of money.

I did the Ecobox/NP205 for poorboy points. Do it over? I'd probably just smash an Atlas in there and let the Visa do the work. Basically it would have saved me time, dicking around, buying random small parts, more dicking around, more time, more small parts.

Part of the reason I did not go Atlas is that I have the oddball 21 spline trans output.

Also, when you part the build out because you get divorced, go gay and buy a SxS, or get into stamp collecting or flower pressing or something, the Atlas is still worth decent coin when your homebrew doubler setup is generally not...

DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Also, when you part the build out because you get divorced, go gay and buy a SxS, or get into stamp collecting or flower pressing or something, the Atlas is still worth decent coin when your homebrew doubler setup is generally not...
So much hate for the win.

AZ Undertaker
Old 04-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 67732
i guess at this point its figuring out what gear ratio to go with on the atlas and 2 or 4 speed.

[/SIZE][/b][/color]
Old 04-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25632
To me it seems silly to spend the $3500for an atlas 4spd just to get the 5.44 when you can do an eco box to a ford 205. For ~$1k. I doubt you will ever have any issues with it in an XJ.

Only reason I see going 4spd atlas is if you want 200:1+
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 233574
got my 2spd atlas 4.3:1 for $2000 delivered to my door by some good seller of the pirate 4 sale section. even came with a th400, adapter, clock ring and all

can't beat the value of a used atlas
AtmosXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Only reason I see going 4spd atlas is if you want 200:1+
Maybe. Also useful if you snow wheel and need a higher low range, then use the pile for something else in the summer and need a lower low range. It is actually one of the reasons I went with the setup I have, the 2.72:1 of the doubler seems to be fairly ideal in the snow with an XJ (IMHO), but I have a 5.4ish option in low low (and lots of levers) for the show 'n shine. Just ordering up a 4:1 or so tcase doesn't work as well for that.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Maybe. Also useful if you snow wheel and need a higher low range, then use the pile for something else in the summer and need a lower low range. It is actually one of the reasons I went with the setup I have, the 2.72:1 of the doubler seems to be fairly ideal in the snow with an XJ (IMHO), but I have a 5.4ish option in low low (and lots of levers) for the show 'n shine. Just ordering up a 4:1 or so tcase doesn't work as well for that.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a doubler. I'd vote doubler over single low gears for almost any wheeler out there.

I was referring to buying a 2.0/2.7 atlas when you can just do a planetary doubler and 205. Especially in a trail rig like an XJ. If you are really worried about the ~60 lb difference, you shouldn't be building an XJ
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 21982

It's too late now because it is all put together but I almost would like a four speed Atlas or even a 231 doubler just to lengthen the front driveshaft.

I have 4.3 two speed and AW-4, 4.88s, 35s and in my limited use have never felt it was too low.
Phil The Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil The Thrill View Post
It's too late now because it is all put together but I almost would like a four speed Atlas or even a 231 doubler just to lengthen the front driveshaft.
With my EcoBox/NP205 and slightly adjusted wheelbase my front and rear driveshafts are close to the same length, I think one is 1.5" longer than the other. Which is nice for a fullbody trail rig, if I choose to have a spare shaft it could be made to fit either location. Reality is I will leave the spares in a pile on the garage floor, but that's neither here nor now.

What isn't nice is where the front driveshaft hits, and what has to be done about it, but that's pretty much how she goes.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 10249
5.44 is not too low. Find harder trails

AZ Undertaker
Old 04-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 462370
Quote:
I have nothing useful to add other than this fucking making my day!!!
the_midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 165184
A 231 with hd sye behind a 4.0 on lightweight 39-40 tires is a solid unit .Don't neglect the chain if it is slacked replace it ...make sure drive shafts do not bind and obviously skid plates that cover it . The 2:72 gearing is not the best in the big stuff but will do ok and works for pretty much all wheeling . An Atlas is a nice upgrade but there are other upgrades probably more important than the 231 to come first...I ran 40 boggers on it for 5 years the case is 8 years old the case never broke I swapped in an Atlas for the new build the chain is a bit slacked that's all ...The one way to turn a 231 into sh it is to install a Teralow the quality of the planetary gear set is Harbor freight compared to NP.
Mr.Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
The one way to turn a 231 into sh it is to install a Teralow the quality of the planetary gear set is Harbor freight compared to NP.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Teralow installation causes future spontaneous disassembly
Mopar Moe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in