01 XJ Classic on Super Duty axles - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 694345
So ready to be home, I'll be back at it here shortly. Not a terrible view though!

01 XJ Classic custom front 3 link, HP60 front, Sterling Rear, 110 inch wheelbase
Just a guy in a garage trying to live the dream!
Craig6.9diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 697105
Nice work, looking forward to seeing progress on this one.
dannytuned is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #153 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Have you looked at nwf's eco box with an atlas behind it or a flipped 300? I know total cost of eco box and atlas is almost as much as a 4 speed atlas but you could buy it in chunks.

I'd get the hero if it's cheap enough. They want a kidney for those things new.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:12 AM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Have you looked at nwf's eco box with an atlas behind it or a flipped 300? I know total cost of eco box and atlas is almost as much as a 4 speed atlas but you could buy it in chunks.

I'd get the hero if it's cheap enough. They want a kidney for those things new.

I think I've decided to go with a fully built/flipped Dana 300 with 4/1 gear set. I think being an automatic and my driving style it should hold up. We will see though.

01 XJ Classic custom front 3 link, HP60 front, Sterling Rear, 110 inch wheelbase
Old 09-04-2017, 02:37 AM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 694345
I pulled the fenders and grill assembly off today. Tomorrow I will work on extending the wheel wells forward a bunch so I can actually turn and articulate at the same time. I ordered some shocks, upper shock mounts, steering kit, a battery relocation kit and a couple odds and ends. I'm ready to drive this thing again!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Is that first pic the intended ride height? Gonna be a lot of cutting if so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 729777
What is the WMS of that SD 60? Aren't they like 84"? Also what offset are the wheels. Looks low and wide af
MikeBravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 03:19 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 42940
sick ride!
TeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Is that first pic the intended ride height? Gonna be a lot of cutting if so.

Yes that is the intended ride height. And yes a lot of cutting is about to take place!

Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBravo View Post
What is the WMS of that SD 60? Aren't they like 84"? Also what offset are the wheels. Looks low and wide af

The wheels are 4.5 backspacing on a 9 inch rim. Not 100% sure on the width.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
sick ride!

Thanks, it's coming along. I'm hoping to have it driving by October. I will still have stuff to finish up but I want to get it driving first.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 787681
Have you got an astro box fitted in there yet? Is it any stronger than a stock XJ steering gear or is it the same just reverse? If you're having trouble with that this might help -

For my SD 60 swap I wanted a Durango box upgrade, so I got one and rebuilt it, tapped for hydro, and then mounted it 5" forward from the stock box location. I cut off the front frame and boxed it in with 1/4" plate to make a stubby bumper, but first got both the winch and the hydro assist tucked in there next to the steering gear. The front bumper plate has about 1/4" gap to the front edge of the steering box, and still allows for a really compact bumper.

I was about to use some square tube to cut/extend my steer shaft, then I looked around and found these two parts which work to replace the front steer shaft with a longer one and uses a heavier duty u-joint:
Extended 3/4" DD-shaft: Allstar ALL52175
Universal steering U-joint: Proheader PS742 (get the 3/4" DD to 3/4" 30-spline)
This shaft was the perfect length to install without cutting or anything.

Pics:

Here you can see the lower rad mount, where the rubber bushing sits, right up against the top of the gearbox:

Here is where I'll need to trim away the fan shroud for the fittings to poke through:

Here you can see how compact the bumper is even with a larger gearbox moved fwd 5", a winch, and frame-to-pitman hydro ram tucked inside:

Last edited by Absurd_Enginerd; 09-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Absurd_Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #163 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
^^^ pics no worky.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd_Enginerd View Post
Have you got an astro box fitted in there yet? Is it any stronger than a stock XJ steering gear or is it the same just reverse? If you're having trouble with that this might help -

For my SD 60 swap I wanted a Durango box upgrade, so I got one and rebuilt it, tapped for hydro, and then mounted it 5" forward from the stock box location. I cut off the front frame and boxed it in with 1/4" plate to make a stubby bumper, but first got both the winch and the hydro assist tucked in there next to the steering gear. The front bumper plate has about 1/4" gap to the front edge of the steering box, and still allows for a really compact bumper.

I was about to use some square tube to cut/extend my steer shaft, then I looked around and found these two parts which work to replace the front steer shaft with a longer one and uses a heavier duty u-joint:

Extended 3/4" DD-shaft: Allstar ALL52175

Universal steering U-joint: Proheader PS742 (get the 3/4" DD to 3/4" 30-spline)

This shaft was the perfect length to install without cutting or anything.

Pics:

Here you can see the lower rad mount, where the rubber bushing sits, right up against the top of the gearbox:

Here is where I'll need to trim away the fan shroud for the fittings to poke through:

Here you can see how compact the bumper is even with a larger gearbox moved fwd 5", a winch, and frame-to-pitman hydro ram tucked inside:

The Astro box is opposite and it's basically the same as stock other then that. I've got it moved in about 4 inches. I've boxed the frame with 1/4 plate as well. Before it's all done it will be tapped for hydro assist which at that point the strength of the box isn't much of an issue.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 787681
Pics worky now I think.

Battery relocation kit - you moving it to the rear?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 694345
01 XJ Classic on Super Duty axles

Quote:
Pics worky now I think.

Battery relocation kit - you moving it to the rear?

Pics work! Looks good and if I did it over again that's probably what I would have done. Just rebuild the front section of frame. This project has kinda snowballed a little bit!

Yes I am moving the battery to the back. There is a giant hole where use to go. Today I am redoing my track bar. I never really like how my home made mount was done and it left me with not much room for shocks.

Last edited by Craig6.9diesel; 09-10-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 787681
Yeah I'm doing the same, I gave the axle so much up travel I had to chop out my headlights, rad support and battery mount for clearance. I actually had bent the AC lines enough to fit the battery behind the compressor/above the oil filter, but then I realized if I need to remove the battery I would have to remove the belt, unbolt the compressor and flex it out of the way - no thanks. Not to mention getting it mounted there would have been a real challenge.

Are you able to steer and articulate without chopping the front clip? That's where my build snowballed (most recent snowball, anyway). Now I'm building a bumper/tube fenders just to have something to mount the radiator to.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Yeah I'm doing the same, I gave the axle so much up travel I had to chop out my headlights, rad support and battery mount for clearance. I actually had bent the AC lines enough to fit the battery behind the compressor/above the oil filter, but then I realized if I need to remove the battery I would have to remove the belt, unbolt the compressor and flex it out of the way - no thanks. Not to mention getting it mounted there would have been a real challenge.

Are you able to steer and articulate without chopping the front clip? That's where my build snowballed (most recent snowball, anyway). Now I'm building a bumper/tube fenders just to have something to mount the radiator to.

Well in the garage it seems to with jacking it up and turning the wheel. But who knows in real life. Front shock mounts are in work now and the new track bar mounts are done. Driveshaft is next, then start working on getting it running again. It's been sitting I've a year!

Old 09-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #169 (permalink)

Member # 694345

Well I got the passenger side frame strengthening done, both front upper shock mounts are done. I used shock mounts for a late 80s F250. They were like $45 a pair from Summit. The shocks were about $45 each for 14" nitrogen shocks. I'll probably order another set for the rear.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:50 AM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 694345

I got a little work done tonight. Bump stops are next and still not 100% what I am going to do. I thought about some daystar stinger bump stops but not 100% yet.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 694345
I finally bought me a tube bender and it came with about 240' of tube!

I'm going to start building bumpers and what not until I get comfortable with it. I ordered a Swag Offroad hydro ram mount for it too.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 214670
Nice snag. Bend a couple of sticks manually and you will love the air hydro conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keydet15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBravo View Post
What is the WMS of that SD 60? Aren't they like 84"?
No. That's F450/550 width. Combination of longer shafts, and dually adapters.

The 99-04 F250/350 SRW are less... ~69-70" or so.

Last edited by u2slow; 10-18-2017 at 02:53 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig6.9diesel View Post

I got a little work done tonight. Bump stops are next and still not 100% what I am going to do. I thought about some daystar stinger bump stops but not 100% yet.

The pics look like your flat on the stops. You realize the tire will go up more when the other side drops out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 694345
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
The pics look like your flat on the stops. You realize the tire will go up more when the other side drops out.

The other side is drooped but it isnít at full droop. I realize it will change some and that is why I plan and doing more trimming at a later date. Right now I am just trying to make it drivable on the street.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in