My XJ Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 728745
My XJ Build

So long time coming. My XJ was my first ride and has survived 4 pcs, multiple dd and here is its story. I am bored sitting at a cq desk with my phone so bare with me...

Started off as a 94 4.0 aw4 231 d30/8.25

Eventually I converted it to front leaves with a waggy 44/8.8 combo and wheeled it

BmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 728745
Well I was young dumb and had no regard for money or safety so I liked the skinny pedal. The eventuality happened.

A few weeks later and some long weekends and extreme amounts of help from Timmay. Bud I know we lost touch but I am still super appreciative of all the work you have done for me in the past. End result was this:

Link to Tim's post
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...5250?_k=oerm6b

And I wheeled it

That trip took out an 8.8 carrier and shaft while simultaneously grenading a stock 44 shaft

Last edited by BmanXJ; 01-14-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 728745
The next year saw some upgrades d300 swapped in, 4.5 stroker built. And I wheeled

The last pic is from the last time I was out Dec 2008. Shortly after I joined the Army to get out of a downward spiral I was in. Priorities changed, marriage, deployment and kid happened. But I always lugged the XJ with me.

During those 8 years I built a long arm WJ for the wife which kept the jeep bug at bay. While my toy became a 90 foxbody 5.0 that got head/cam/intake/5spd and refreshed suspension. All the while I collected parts for the next phase of the XJ.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 728745
I added some lexan, some 3/16 plate and a fresh coat of paint

Well while in Afghanistan I was doing the endless Amazon browsing that a deployed Soldier does in their down time and found a deal too good to pass up on some RE 4.5 coils, I think I paid 60, and took it as a sign that its time to start again. When I got back I ordered some Barnes 4wd brackets, eduro joints, heims. That's about the time the wife got pregnant, I had professional development school, and had to move a division headquarters overseas on short notice, coupled with a PCS. It was just the universe's way of telling me wait a little longer.

As luck would have it that PCS was to an instructor position at Ft Sill. It meant 3 years of stability, the first year I spent enjoying the time I had with my family and getting back into fishing pretty heavily.

This past August a Chevy 1500 decided to run a red light and T-bone the WJ so an ambulance could get by... Totaled Jeep later and a few months and the Jeep bug started hitting the wife and I hard again.

For a long time I wasn't sure what my long term plans were for tire/axle combo. I thought about going ton's, I looked for ton's, I bought my DD OBS F350 7.3DI, and had to slap 35's on it to get the clearance I wanted under the axles to go to my fishing spots. I realized than that I really don't want the width of tons, nor do I really want to go into the 40" tire range to get the ground clearance I wanted. So I've opted to remain on 36's and just beef the axles I have.

Fast forward to this past Christmas leave and a New Year's Resolution of finishing projects...

I started my 3 link front build. Custom trans xmember, no bind, upper is flat at ride height.

Exhaust is going to be tight but doable.

I made more progress but forgot to snap pics. Its now sitting on coils again, axle brackets are burned on except for the shock brackets and hydro ram mount.

I am not sure I'm happy with the height at the moment so I ordered some 2" spacers to see how that sits.

The front lower shock brackets, I have an idea in my head that I think will work out just fine, not my first choice but with the axle tube/caliper clearance I have available its my only option. I will post up that when they are tacked for opinions.

Plans for the next year include, alloy front shafts but do I do RCV or standard shafts with super joints. I like the ability to easily remove standard shafts but will I really need to remove the RCV with 36's very often?

Replace chipped gears in 8.8.

Tap/Rebuild the spare steering box I have so I can end the slow leak I have on my box.

Wheel once again.

Last edited by BmanXJ; 01-16-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 684754
needs more pics
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 728745
Added some more pics in. I will snap some more this weekend when I start screwing with shock mounts. Here is what I am working with for room.

Options are build off the side of the lca mount to get more shock travel or build it over top. Going to try building off the side with some added gusseting

Last edited by BmanXJ; 01-16-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 728745
So got bored after 3 hours of sleep. Damn 24hr duty screwing with my sleep cycle!

Some of the parts

Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 684754
very nice keep em coming!
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Any plans to add more bolts to your frame side trackbar bracket?
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 89922
Someone should really make kits where you cut the outter sheet metal off these things leave the floor pan and front clip and attach a premade cage to the frame rails like a formula toy. You could do a 2 and 4 seater model. There are so many cheap XJ's out there and so much aftermarket I can't believe it hasn't been done. Shit it could probably be bolt on. And you could actually register and insure your buggy.

Last edited by Smokehouse; 01-18-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 628042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehouse View Post
Someone should really make kits where you cut the outter sheet metal off these things leave the floor pan and front clip and attach a premade cage to the frame rails like a formula toy. You could do a 2 and 4 seater model. There are so many cheap XJ's out there and so much aftermarket I can't believe it hasn't been done. Shit it could probably be bolt on. And you could actually register and insure your buggy.
90% of XJ owners are under the age of 25 and/or broke...

JK is where the money is at.
VAhasnoWAVES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135947
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
90% of XJ owners are under the age of 25 and/or broke...

JK is where the money is at.
@Action Fab has almost exactly this.

Last edited by whitneyj; 01-19-2017 at 06:04 AM.
whitneyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 89922
You can pick up a shitty XJ for under a grand or get one with gears, lift, tires, ect for 2-4k. If you could buy a bolt on kit that makes it a buggy for say 2k I think it would make XJ's alot more popular. You wouldnt need to go through the whole process of building a buggy, just sawzall the body off and bolt on a cage. A kid could use hand tools to install it and say look I have a rock buggy. If you kept it priced around a tax return or a credit card max I think you could have a winner. Could even do a intergrated belly pan with a trans mount and long arm mounts and long arms and a kit to use a WJ rear axle and link kit for it. Hell ship it with the Lokka Kit lunchbox kit and make it the most capable 5-6 thousand dollar machine out there.
Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 728745
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post
Any plans to add more bolts to your frame side trackbar bracket?
It's going to get stitch and rosette welded and eventually tied to frame plating. The bolts serve two purposes keep it aligned for fitmant and keep the lower bracket mount pinch seem together
Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 214670
Quote:
You can pick up a shitty XJ for under a grand or get one with gears, lift, tires, ect for 2-4k. If you could buy a bolt on kit that makes it a buggy for say 2k I think it would make XJ's alot more popular. You wouldnt need to go through the whole process of building a buggy, just sawzall the body off and bolt on a cage. A kid could use hand tools to install it and say look I have a rock buggy. If you kept it priced around a tax return or a credit card max I think you could have a winner. Could even do a intergrated belly pan with a trans mount and long arm mounts and long arms and a kit to use a WJ rear axle and link kit for it. Hell ship it with the Lokka Kit lunchbox kit and make it the most capable 5-6 thousand dollar machine out there.
That does not sound profitable at all. Shipping? Do you know how many tards would complain the instant it doesn't bolt on/fit correctly then post all over jeepforum about how you suck. If someone wants a buggy they can go to a custom offroad shop. Shit, it took me almost three years just to get 33s as a broke 20 year old.
Keydet15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 729873
Bman are you in 1-78? I'm retired out of Sill and living south of town but still work on post. Awesome build, might need to check it out sometime!
ToolShed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 728745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolShed View Post
Bman are you in 1-78? I'm retired out of Sill and living south of town but still work on post. Awesome build, might need to check it out sometime!
I am a 14G instructor over in the 30th brigade school house. Definitely need to meet up sometime. I live over by the Walmart community market. Any good wheeling out here?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 728745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydet15 View Post
Quote:
That does not sound profitable at all. Shipping? Do you know how many tards would complain the instant it doesn't bolt on/fit correctly then post all over jeepforum about how you suck. If someone wants a buggy they can go to a custom offroad shop. Shit, it took me almost three years just to get 33s as a broke 20 year old.
Agreed. Not to mention an xj with no body instantly is out of alignment and almost as flimsy as a foxbody convertible or a wet noodle.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 729873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanXJ View Post
I am a 14G instructor over in the 30th brigade school house. Definitely need to meet up sometime. I live over by the Walmart community market. Any good wheeling out here?
As far as wheeling goes, I don't really know. I've never been wheeling to the extremes y'all do, at least not on the civilian side. I was primarily building my truck as a hunting truck. I know they have some mud races down in Walter's but not sure where or when. I live out in the country by the landfill and work at 4700 in finance.
ToolShed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 728745
So I got a little accomplished this weekend. Hydro assist tabs welded on, and shock mounts tacked up. The shock mounts need some finishing but I wanted to wait until I could cycle the suspension with shocks to burn them home.

While under the rig noticed some atf dripping out from between the clocking ring and the extension housing. Also played with the drive shaft. Looks like it's going to bind at the tcase when drooped. Had this issue before and had to grind the yokes some due to the d300 being so much shorter than the 231. Probably going to just run superflex joints for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in