newbie full width axle build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 735897
newbie full width axle build

hey guy newbie here. Starting a new build. Currently i have a 97 sport with a RC 4.5" and 32s. I just picked up a HP44 and 60 out of a 79 ford. I plan on staying with the coil up front and leaf in rear. curious on what is the best option for the linkage in the front? Ive read a bunch of posts about radius and do not wanna go that way. I seen IronRock offroad has a y link set up that looks to be pretty good. curious if anyone has some input on this? its either the y link or go to a three link. Just looking for a ponint in the right direction. this will be mainly a medium to hard trail rig no rock crawling due to living in the north lol
tgeasland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 735897
The axles have a full spool in rear and front has a spartan locker 4.88 gear. Plan on keeping the stock 4.0. and would like to run 37-39" tires

Last edited by tgeasland; 02-13-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 204133
https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...mj_tnt_customs

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk
nickxj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 131502
The Y link is set up for a dana 30 and would need to be modified for the 44 but it would work. I put one on a 98 Grand and it seems fine.

I would look at a three link setup for the front. The Clayton setup would work just fine.
Frozen ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 735897
yeah i seen theirs. it all looks sweet except the price. idk maybe im just cheap but a grand just for the cross member and pipe seems high plus id like to still drive it on the roads around town just cause ik the cops wont mess with me. that and i suck at geometry so setting it up seems like it would be a pain
Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 735897
how much flex did you get out of the y link?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeasland View Post
how much flex did you get out of the y link?
Quite a bit actually. It rode good also. It just seemed a little iffy having everything ride on that one bolt and bushing but it seems to be working fine.

You can build your own version of claytons for a lot cheaper. That's basically what I did but made it three link.
Frozen ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 399730
I am moving to a full width Dana 60 in the front of my XJ and am planning to keep my BDS four link long arm kit. A lot do a 3 link as you point out but I already own the BDS kit and have wheeled it for years with nice flex and zero issues. Just another option to consider maybe. On a related note hopefully you have put some thought into the rear leafs as well since 37-39" tires will require moving the axle back (gas tank) and opening up the wheel wells.
MaddogXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 735897
I honestly havent even thought about the gas tank. I was thinking with the extra width and a offset rim it wouldnt be a issue
Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 709370
Im doing a build right now also, I've searched and searched for the best link set up in the front. everyone has there .02 on it, i already had 6'' coils and only needed the LA upgrade kit, my .02 cents is, for the $$ i could not see spending $1000 on just arms and a single cross member with no skid plates. i went with the ever so hated Rough country it has a desent trans mount but i really liked the Trans case skid it came with for $700. and i ran there short arm with 32'' tires and was very impressed with it so im sure i will be happy with there LA. I've image searched cherokee xj flex and compared a lot of different brands and set ups. there were some that had crazy droop, all had too close to call on full stuff, but like you said they start at $1000 and go up for just the LA upgrade. Im running 37'' Trepedores with rubicon 44 axle swap. moved my rear axle back 1'' not a lot but enough for me. i see no issues with gas tank interferance just some metal fab in the fender area. i would post picks but i chose the free membership and can't upload pics. if you have an instgram look up NASTYXJ I've got some pics on there.
MAYBL8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 210734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen ZJ View Post
You can build your own version of claytons for a lot cheaper. That's basically what I did but made it three link.
I did the same in my WJ. Used the Clayton crossmember and made the rest up myself. Passenger-side upper link was tied back into the top-side of the new crossmember. It was tight but with a lot of eyeballing and cycling before burning it in nothing hits. Front axle is a BJ '03 Ford D50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in