Tribal's 2 door XJ mild trail build - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
well, I finally sold my Early Bronco, and I'm seriously considering selling Ole Blue as well. I'm confident that I fixed the crack in the unibody, but the reality is with the people that we wheel with, the cherokee will just tear itself apart again over time. I'd be better off selling it while it's still a really nice and capable medium/hard wheeler, and use the money from the EB and Cherokee to buy a tube buggy again. We have my wife's JK that is fairly built now with 37s and 4.88s now as a family wheeler, and a buggy would be a lot more fun to wheel with my friends.
Well that kinda sucks. But I know what you mean. Can only put a bandaid on it so many times. If I had any sense I'd sell mine and start building a different rig. But I'll prolly keep throwing money at it for a while

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
denverd1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Gonna build the tube rig or start with a chassis?

Last edited by denverd1; 04-19-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
well, I finally sold my Early Bronco, and I'm seriously considering selling Ole Blue as well.
Before you sell it, can you tell me the measurement on your front fender from the body line to where you cut. It looks like it's 2" and I'm just curious how it compares to mine with a 4.5" rough country lift and 33s. I'm sure the previous owner cut WAY more than needed.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #54 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
Send a message via AIM to tribal4krawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Gonna build the tube rig or start with a chassis?
Well, I ended up fixing the unibody, finishing up the Boostwerx steering brace, fixing a couple other minor things on the Jeep and went wheeling and had a frickin' blast. Ol Blue worked flawlessly and I was really happy with it last weekend. My only complaint was that the 37" Lakeseas really aren't hooking at all anymore. The other people we were wheeling with weren't having any trouble hooking up at 15 psi and i was struggling in some spots at sub 10 psi. I think the tires are just too old and hard now. I'm watching out for a nice used set of 37" STT Pros as they kick ass on my wife's JKU. I'm going to hang onto the Cherokee for the time being, as we just bought a new motorhome and my original plan of buying a buggy went out the window My next step is to put a cage in this thing. For Hidden Falls, 37s-40s are perfect, anything bigger would make the park too easy in most places. I'm kind of debating looking for some 40s and seeing how long the Dana 30 will last with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Before you sell it, can you tell me the measurement on your front fender from the body line to where you cut. It looks like it's 2" and I'm just curious how it compares to mine with a 4.5" rough country lift and 33s. I'm sure the previous owner cut WAY more than needed.
I'll try and remember tomorrow to measure for ya, i'm honestly not sure. i just cut, cut and cut some more until it quit rubbing. it's basically even with the inner fender that i beat upwards with a sledgehammer.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tribal4krawler; 05-04-2019 at 04:41 AM.
tribal4krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 04:29 AM   #55 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
Some pics of the weekend.. Mostly night wheeling because my dumb ass managed to tag the drain petcock on the radiator and break it off on a rock. We JB Welded that thing back on and zip tied it and let it cure for a few hours and it never leaked a drop after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tribal4krawler; 05-04-2019 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Great pics! How old are the tires?

Got some STTs in 37 to run when I swap to 44s. May say f it and throw them on the 30. Looks like you're having no problem running bigger tires.

40s?? please video

Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 137745
I am glad to see you kept 'ol blue and the project lives on.
tubender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 137745
I am glad to see you kept 'ol blue and the project lives on.
tubender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #59 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
Honestly not sure how old the tires are. I'd say probably at least 7-8 years. Lol. We went wheeling last weekend too and the unibody started tearing again in a new spot by the track bar brace. The reinforcement plating is holding up, but the unibody cracked in a section where there arent any rosette welds. I think what I need to do is cut it all off, fix this new crack, and then get a new reinforcement section, preferably with the long diagonal slits like RuffStuff, I think that will tie in the unibody better and provide more uniform reinforcement.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Do you have a WJ knuckle swap with 1 ton steering upgrade and a relocated trackbar? I never see it mentioned as something you did but it looks like you have crossover steering and the track bar ends before the coil on the passenger side. Previous owner do this? Specifics? It appears to mirror this....https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1087010
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #61 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Do you have a WJ knuckle swap with 1 ton steering upgrade and a relocated trackbar? I never see it mentioned as something you did but it looks like you have crossover steering and the track bar ends before the coil on the passenger side. Previous owner do this? Specifics? It appears to mirror this....https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1087010
yes, this is set up exactly like Dusty's. It works well, and if you can DIY it's fairly cheap.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 178200
I may have a used set of 37" STT Pro's up for sale in the next month or so for cheapish money. Tires are about 60% tread. Back 2 tires have a couple outer lugs ripped off and some chunking but no patches or plugs. These will be coming off my wifes DD JKUR. If your intrested shoot me a PM
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in