One ton steering assist - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2019, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 862442
One ton steering assist

I have a HP Dana 60 with an artec high steer kit on my 95 ZJ. Stock steering box with a brace. Custom drag link and track bar. I noticed after my axle swap that my turning radius was horrible; much worse that i had experienced with previous one ton vehicles, so i started investigating. When i turn full lock passenger, there is still 3/4" gap between the stops on the knuckle and when i turn full lock passenger there is over 1" of gap between stops. I have heard of people shaving the stops down to increase turning radius, but for some reason i'm not even reaching the true max turning radius. I'm sure i'm overlooking something dumb, but its evading me right now so any help or advice would be appreciated.
Bross1004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 214670
Your high steer kit probably relocated the drag link hole on your knuckle further away than it should be. I think you are running out of travel from your steering box. I think you need to google Ackerman angle or increase the throw(hole to hole distance) on your pitman arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keydet15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I had to run a longer pitman arm. And since it was a Toyota box and I needed a flat pitman arm I had to make one. Same arms as you.

Typically a good rule of thumb is center of kingpin to tie rod hole distance should be similar to length of your pitman arm. Search around this has been covered a bit.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydet15 View Post
Your high steer kit probably relocated the drag link hole on your knuckle further away than it should be. I think you are running out of travel from your steering box. I think you need to google Ackerman angle or increase the throw(hole to hole distance) on your pitman arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep this is correct.
#4909 Ultra4 YXZ1000R UTV
#4659 Ultra4 Jeep Comanche
1994 2 door XJ trail rig
Follow our racing adventures on Instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tribal4krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in