2.5L 95 xj what can I do to the motor? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Cherokee
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 875914
2.5L 95 xj what can I do to the motor?

I know everyone going to say swap but that's down the road a bit. What can I do to this motor to make it better. I think I saw you can put some parts from the 4.0 on it but I don't know the details. I want to fuel injectors, delete all the vacuum wires and unnecessary stuff I don't need taking the clutch fan off and going electric. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ryan95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 95763
Leave it alone.

I'm sure everyone here will tell you if you want more power, buy a 4.0L XJ.

I'm on my second 2.5L engine in my TJ. These things are beasts. I run the piss out of mine and the first engine had 150,000 HARD miles on it.

If you want more seat of the pants feel, re-gear the bitch but with stock axles you are limited to 4.88 IIRC. Not really worth it to upgrade from 4.56.
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
1. Don’t cross post.

2. Buy a different Jeep/#LSSWAP

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 191442
Lightening the jeep as much as possible really helps a four banger! Strip out the rear seats if they are unused. Keep the fairly light weight stock bumpers. Remove the A/C if equipped, etc. A stock XJ is slightly lighter than a TJ.

Before putting any money into add-ons, verify the base condition of the engine, meaning check the compression dry and wet, look for blow-by, test the leakdown, etc. No sense putting money into a worn out engine.

Pretty much any power tricks for the 4.0l would apply to the 2.5l.

If you spend a lot of time over 2500 rpms, a port and polish of the intake and exhaust ports, can help. Pocket porting under the valves and gasket matching the intake and exhaust manifolds is fairly easy to do yourself, then have a good three angle valve job done.

Milling the head for a bit more compression is cheap and easy, and will help power and fuel economy. You might need custom shorter pushrods if you mill a lot off the head, not too expensive, though.

A cam grinder can grind you a custom cam with specs matching what's available for a 4.0l. Keep it fairly mild so the stock ECM can be used. Isky has a "Supercam" grind with around 256* advertised that runs pretty well in an otherwise stock 4.0l that should work equally well in a 2.5l.
"256 Hyd. Supercam is designed for normal operation of cars, vans, pick-ups, 4-WD's, etc..using high gear ratios; also light
to moderate towing. #133125 256 Supercam .450 256° 111° 3052-HY" Call them and let them know what you have and they will give you a firm recommendation.

Not sure which engine vacuum lines you can remove and have ANY effect on power. Best to leave them all connected and functioning. Connected breather and evaporative emissions hoses will keep you from smelling oil and gas fumes while crawling. No EGR on a '95, but even that doesn't effect full throttle power.

Hope this adds to the discussion!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in