Old Skool CJ Build - Page 27 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #651 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 63526
Really impressed with your work on the ole CJ. It's come a long way for sure. Sorry I missed you guys at EJS!
Bizeeb65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #652 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
So what did I learn about my jeep in Moab......well its big, kind of obnixously big but not quite over the top big. It did really well, and wasn't unstable, however the first thing I wanted to do it to when i got home was sell the 43's and put some 40's on it.........but I've come to my senses! 43's are staying.

I looked at chopping the front frame section but that won't really help, I woudl have to redo the complete 4 link including frame ends and rework the motor mounts due to clearance constraits between the upper links and the engine. It would require me to cut teh frame off in front of the first body mount and start with tube. The CJ frame doesn't allow me to shift the engine to one side for clearance reasons..... I might as well build a buddy or start with a new frame if i'm going to do that.

The other option is converting my ORI ST shocks to the STX version and run 4" of up travel in the front and 6 in the rear on a 14" shock. I spoke with ORI tech and said we can get them dialed in with that much crhome showing and ride like a dream. I hope so. Stay tuned for shock reworking/tuning in the next couple of months.
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 05-29-2015 at 12:26 PM.
yjwrangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #653 (permalink)

Member # 390554
Awesome pics
jp fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #654 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I've been putting quite a few road miles on her lately; with that being said I've gotten pretty tired greasing the front longs so often. I decided to try some Yukon Hardcore lock outs. I've been running the Solid 35 spline slugs with great success and hated to get away from the simplicity. I wanted somthing more robust than Warn, and didn't want to put out the cash for Dynalocs or have old spicers broached........the Yukons fit the bill.

I ordered up a set from Wayne Hartwig, Diffsonly.com, received them in two days. My frist impressions of the Yukon parts was awesome. They are quality units, the machining is done very well and the fit and finish is better than I expected. The installation instructions are easy to follow and they went together with ease.

I put about 75 miles on them yesterday and couln't be happier.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #655 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Sweet rig.......wish my cj looked that good but previous owner backhalfed my rig and its got some ghetto to it........oh well
Old 07-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #656 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler95 View Post
I've been putting quite a few road miles on her lately; with that being said I've gotten pretty tired greasing the front longs so often. I decided to try some Yukon Hardcore lock outs. I've been running the Solid 35 spline slugs with great success and hated to get away from the simplicity. I wanted somthing more robust than Warn, and didn't want to put out the cash for Dynalocs or have old spicers broached........the Yukons fit the bill.

I ordered up a set from Wayne Hartwig, Diffsonly.com, received them in two days. My frist impressions of the Yukon parts was awesome. They are quality units, the machining is done very well and the fit and finish is better than I expected. The installation instructions are easy to follow and they went together with ease.

I put about 75 miles on them yesterday and couln't be happier.
I have the yukons and dig how well they are built! looks good buddy! Moab looked fun!
"T" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 AM   #657 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Update on the Yukon Lockouts: I put these on almost a year ago. I've actually put roughly 1500 road miles on them and a few beat downs in the woods. I'm super happy with the quality and function.

I've been tossing around the idea of cutting the tub and making an LJ. If I do, it will be a winter project for me. Probably a lowering job along with the stretch. I don't have much time at the moment to wheel or do much work. Its hay season and time to get the boat out!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #658 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
ITS ALIVE! and on Jackstands since JUNE........stay tuned for some pics of very minor changes......and some reports on the new parts. Its been a crazy year, lots of work and no play. I cut a lot of hay this summer and really got into my wheeling and boating time. Stayed tuned......

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 11-01-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #659 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I said I had an update. I mentioned after Moab that I was thinking of getting rid of the 43's but decided against it. Well I changed my mind. I have a few friends that wheel the non sticky bias Treps and have great luck with them. I've wanted to make the old girl more manageable and dareI say streetable. I really enjoy running to Home Depot and errands in it. So I sold the 43's and bought some treps. I did that back in July of this year and it's been sitting on jack stands until Friday night. I was in my barn till 1:30am and finally got it moving again.

You'll notice my rims look different as well. After 4+ years of abuse my rims were looking like shit. I'm not a fan of the machined surface of the Racelines. I like the wheel style and overall look but the finish sucked. Rather than buy new wheels I had them blasted and coated a satin black. A local powder coater did the work and they turned out awesome. It dropped the jeep a little over two inches swapping tires and i like the look.

I tapped the inner Bead with two wraps of gorilla tape. I did that with the sx and it kept them from burping when aired down. Hope it works for these too. The tires mounted well. I used a roll of baller twine to sit the wheel on as I mounted them. It is solid and won't scratch. I added airsoft bb's like I did on my 43's. They held up well for four years and seemed to work.
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 12-19-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #660 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
I vote for the stretch , u won't regret it the new shoes look good buddy ,can't wait to see it done,build on....
Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #661 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Always loved this build. I vote tub stretch as well.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #662 (permalink)

Member # 157647
Looks great Pubes! I like how the rims turned out.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:02 AM   #663 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. Its funny you all mention the stretch. I'm going to be a little short on time in the near future, my wife and I have our first child on the way due in May.

With that being said, I found a tub I can cut up for the stretch about 2 hours away. I'm going to try and pick it up as soon as I can get free. Not sure how long it is going to take to get done, it will probably be my next winter project. Stay tuned who knows I might get a wild hair.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #664 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
Congratulations on the new addition buddy! Now you need to collect all your parts for your stretch or now we will call t dads new addition. Do this before you have your new addition as it gets hard to find the time when he/she gets here buddy! I speak from experience as I have two and you see where most of my money and time went,hence the long timeline on my build.
If you should need anything while stretching hit me up or reference my build it might help! Once again keep up the good work and wheel on.....
Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #665 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Here is a very shitty rendition of what it could look like as an LJ. This was done in Paint so don't bash my skillz to bad.

I would NOT comp cut and just trim the wheels wells to fit. Probably use blank corners and go from there.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #666 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Picked up this piece before Christmas. It came equipped with ultra light rockers. The rear of the tub is surprisingly in good shape. It was a good deal, and good enough for what I'm going to do. I plan on chopping the back off and putting it up in the loft of my barn until I can get my baby/house projects done. I don't see the stretch happening this year. We will see.

Updated on Tires and Wheels- I finally drove it with the new tires. WOW, I had no idea how bad the swampers really rode. It literally rides 10x better than my 3/4ton truck. It drives better, tracks better, less bounce, just overall more comfortable. I hope they get it done in the dirt, if so its a winning combination in my book!

Stretch and Wheelbase- I also started a thread in non hardcore asking for stock wheelbase measurements for LJ's. The rear tub measurement from step to the C/L of the LJ is 23 inches. I measured my current rear stretch and it is 27". That would be an LJ +4. I confirmed this on a friends 4" rear stretched LJ. Looks like I can use 4" stretch rear corner guards for an LJ and not have stretch the wheel base any more. I'm currently at 112, belly height is 22" and cage height is 79. Its still big but not nearly as large as it was with the 43's.
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 12-27-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #667 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
I'm at 118" with cutting brakes. I added 14" to the tub and frame and moved my 14 bolt as far as my fuel cell would allow. I cut my original hard top, bought an old one and simply cut it and scabed in a new piece instead of doing the LJ window frame stuff etc. all you need is 2 longer side windows from your local glass shop! Food for thought. Either will work! Build on!!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #668 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Quote:
Originally Posted by "T" View Post
I'm at 118" with cutting brakes. I added 14" to the tub and frame and moved my 14 bolt as far as my fuel cell would allow. I cut my original hard top, bought an old one and simply cut it and scabed in a new piece instead of doing the LJ window frame stuff etc. all you need is 2 longer side windows from your local glass shop! Food for thought. Either will work! Build on!!

Thanks for the insight T. I'm trying to get away from stretching it out any more. I hate to have to redo drivelines and links ect. If I need to I will but hopefully I can make it work with the current wheelbase and not look dumb. My jeep is pretty hillbilly in the front, it is stretched way out there, which I really like.

Thanks again!
dh
Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #669 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
U bet ! Anything you do will work out buddy and jeep will still be awesome, build on!!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #670 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
UPDATE-FUEL PUMP

I've had a noisy fuel pump since building the jeep. It sounded like an electric fan buzzing for the past 4 years............I made a new pickup, so not to draw out of the top of the tank but it didn't really help much. I was running an Airtrex E8248.

Last night I swapped in a new Walbro GSL 392 and can I saw WOW it is night and say different. It is quite as a church mouse, all I can hear now is engine noise. Super excited about it.

I did notice something about the 8248, on the outlet side there was a brass insert with a check valve and a spring inside. I took all of that out and I bet that was causing the pump to have a lot of backpressure causing the noise. I kept it as spare.

I would recommend the Walbro 392 to anyone running a GM 5.3. I'm running -6 line and an inline filter ahead of the pump with a screen on my home built gravity pick up in my fuel cell. I'll have some pictures later on.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #671 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Went wheeling a couple weeks ago with the Treps, they work awesome for brand new tires. I'll have some pics and an update on the digger soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #672 (permalink)

Member # 743521
love the cj
efilnikufesin2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #673 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Here are a few pics I dug up of wheeling about a month ago. Like I said the tires did really well for being brand new. I was impressed. I can only imagine they will get better. I was running 7psi in all of them. I think I my drop it to 5 in the rear and 6 in the front to break them in more.
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 03-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #674 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
love this CJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TN-D90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #675 (permalink)

Member # 24895
I'm doing a YJ to a LJ with a CJ front clip right now. I finished the tub and frame, and now finishing the rear 4 link. I'm also shooting for 112" wheelbase, bottom frame is 25", 39" stickies and full width axles. I can try and get a profile pic to help you see what it should look like, since we're similar builds. Top of my windshield is 76" if that gives you a reference. I'm running stretched LJ corners hiding hacked YJ grafted tubs.
b0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in