Old Skool CJ Build - Page 28 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #676 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb View Post
I'm doing a YJ to a LJ with a CJ front clip right now. I finished the tub and frame, and now finishing the rear 4 link. I'm also shooting for 112" wheelbase, bottom frame is 25", 39" stickies and full width axles. I can try and get a profile pic to help you see what it should look like, since we're similar builds. Top of my windshield is 76" if that gives you a reference. I'm running stretched LJ corners hiding hacked YJ grafted tubs.
Hey I'm doing the exact same thing. How about a build thread?
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #677 (permalink)

Member # 24895
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Hey I'm doing the exact same thing. How about a build thread?
How about a YouTube channel instead? I'm still editing video, but it's coming. We already have some stuff unrelated on the channel.
The channel is called "white collar garage"
b0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #678 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Post up a couple of pics, I would appreciate it.

A good friend of mine stretched his LJ with the poison spyder daddy long legs corner guards. I measured both of ours based on a similar reference on the tub and I think they will work perfect for my current wheelbase.

Again post up a side shot of yours.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #679 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
a friend of mine stretched a TJ into LJ buy buying the blank corner armor and stretching the tub and frame to match it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TN-D90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #680 (permalink)
"T"

Member # 36149
Love my stretch! I put 14 more inches in the tub and frame.
"T" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #681 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Well, I've put a couple hundred miles on the Treps and one good wheeling trip. I really like them. I don't think they hook as good as the sx's in our type of terrain but they are better suited for what I do currently.

We finally had our new addition. He was born about two weeks ago, his name is Vance. It was a surprise, we didn't know what we were having. Hopefully he likes to wheel, I'm saving a Dana 80 out of my old dodge for him! haha
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #682 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I got the goat built brackets to raise my power steering pump on the 5.3, i'm also considering cutting the front truss off and using a different truss/ram mount to get it lower on the axle. By doing so it would allow me to lower the rig down a couple inches and not chop the frame. I'm currently running and under cover fab truss, which is beefy as all get out, looking at the WFO front truss for a 79 ford 60. Any opinions?

Current situation.
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 10-19-2017 at 10:29 AM.
yjwrangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM   #683 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I've been looking at Dookey's Revenge and he had the same truss i used to have, then swapped to the ARTEC piece. It looks like thats the direction i'm going to go, hopefully i don't have to lop off the frame and redo all the tube work. I got the go ahead from the boss (wife) to order up some LJ stretch corners, looks like its getting stretched and hopefully lowered this winter!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #684 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
I have the Artec Superduty D60 truss and it's very beefy and rather low in profile.

Joel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #685 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
i saw the pic, looks great, do you have more pics in the rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
I have the Artec Superduty D60 truss and it's very beefy and rather low in profile.

Joel
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #686 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
I wish... unfortunately I havenít installed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #687 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Check out Offroadman83's thread in Non-Hardcore titled "Artec Superduty Dana 60 TJ beta tester review"

He has a bunch of pics of a 2005+ Ford D60 with the same truss I used without the full hydro mount.

Joel

Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 AM   #688 (permalink)

Member # 157647
Subscribed!!!!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #689 (permalink)

Member # 7903
Was looking through the build and saw this pic, and wondered where it was. I went to some private land in Kentucky years ago and it looked similar.

JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #690 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
This is on private land near Slade KY. There are miles of legal county roads that traverse the area known as Danial Boone Back County Byway. It is worth the trip. There are also forestry roads/trails to run on as well as private. Its close home and always a good time. You need a licensed/insured vehicle to run down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
Was looking through the build and saw this pic, and wondered where it was. I went to some private land in Kentucky years ago and it looked similar.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #691 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Annual wheeling trip to Danial Boone/Slade KY. I really haven't had time to do anything to the old girl the past year due to Vance being born. I did drop the shocks another inch. Its sitting pretty good on 40's. I still want to LJ it, and drop it a couple more inches, that will required reworking the front truss, engine accessories and shock mounts. It does really well as it sits. I'll also add the DOT Treps are an awesome tire. After having them a year and putting some road miles on breaking them in, they seem to hook as well as my DOT 43 SX's that I had previously, extremely happy. They like about 5 lbs of air.

Shout out to Moab Offroad Louisville KY, Week of Wheeling Adventure Company, 2018 Winter Games

https://www.weekofwheeling.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 03-06-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #692 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
couple more
Attached Images

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 03-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #693 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Added another digger to the collection, it will be a couple of years before he can use it, but couldn't pass up the deal.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #694 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler95 View Post
Added another digger to the collection, it will be a couple of years before he can use it, but couldn't pass up the deal.
Sweet jeep! Congrats to the new addition to the family looks like he is going to have a capable crawler of his own someday.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #695 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Wellll..............................almost another year down the drain. The Old Skool CJ is still sitting in the barn! I finally, finally, finally bought some more LJ parts. I got blank corners during a black friday sale, I got a bunch of tube about three months ago, I now have two YJ Tubs in my possession.....and.....................no time.....story of my life. However my wife informed me she wants to go camping in may near one of my favorite wheeling spots, I've convinced her to go camping you have to take a camping rig. Time to do some clean up and wrenching.

I did do some work on the important stuff like the stereo. I'm converting everything over to alpine. I might be crazy but its starting to sound pretty damn good.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #696 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I had the jeep out for the weekend. Towed through a torrential down pour. When i went to start it up it didn't want to light. It finally did with a miss. No check engine lights and it got better as the weekend went on with some portions having no miss at all.

This all kinda started one night when I pulled some McGuyver shit in my barn. Buddy's o-rings on his expeditions fuel injector shit the bed. I pulled my fuel rail and stone one off my motor. Best part on his ford is my chevy o ring. Well when i finally got it back together a couple months later it had an immediate miss. I worked with the FI connection and it cleaned up or so I thought. Well it has come back with a vengeance.

Originally i was thinking the ECM got wet, or something else got wet, but i've never had a problem with water. Now i'm thinking the injector is plugged or partially plugged or ? If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

ITS NOT THROWING ANY CODES

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 05-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #697 (permalink)

Member # 40450
There's an old school trick to try to unstick a dirty injector. Start the Jeep and slide the open end of a wrench around the body of the injector and tap on it lightly. I have witnessed a junk yard 5.3 with a dead miss smooth right out by dislodging whatever was stuck in the injector.

Its probably a long shot, but at least its a shot.
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #698 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMIKE View Post
There's an old school trick to try to unstick a dirty injector. Start the Jeep and slide the open end of a wrench around the body of the injector and tap on it lightly. I have witnessed a junk yard 5.3 with a dead miss smooth right out by dislodging whatever was stuck in the injector.

Its probably a long shot, but at least its a shot.

Thanks man, I checked fuel filters last night to start with the easy things. Going to pull the plugs tonight and look for fouls. I appreciate the advice on the injectors, I'll give that shot as well. If i cant find a fouled plug, i'm going to pull the injectors out and clean them up. I have a spare set as well I can try. It sucks when I can't get a CEL. Appreciate all ideas. I'll post up what I find out as I find it.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #699 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I fixed my miss. Replaced a few injectors as well as all the plugs. She runs like a scalded dog!

I've also been working on trying to dial in my ORI Struts. I have the older ST's not STX's. I've talked to ORI as well as Jensen Brothers, they have recommended i change the fluid in the upper chamber and see how the ride.

The reason for the changes, i'm starting to drive it more in the street and it had very harsh ride. I'm not showing a lot of chrome on my 14's, only about 3.5 inches, so i'm running in the oil all the time. It corners like a race car but rides like a log wagon. I aired them roughly half way up and they rode like a cadillac. No more pogo!

From talking to Jensen Brother and ORI it seems that I would benefit more from the external reservoirs than an STX upgrade. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on 4 small cans and try them out.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #700 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
I fixed my miss. Replaced a few injectors as well as all the plugs. She runs like a scalded dog!

I've also been working on trying to dial in my ORI Struts. I have the older ST's not STX's. I've talked to ORI as well as Jensen Brothers, they have recommended i change the fluid in the upper chamber and see how the ride.

The reason for the changes, i'm starting to drive it more in the street and it had very harsh ride. I'm not showing a lot of chrome on my 14's, only about 3.5 inches, so i'm running in the oil all the time. It corners like a race car but rides like a log wagon. I aired them roughly half way up and they rode like a Cadillac. No more pogo!

From talking to Jensen Brother and ORI it seems that I would benefit more from the external reservoirs than an STX upgrade. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on 4 small cans and try them out. That should allow me to run them lower, remove more oil, and stay out of the damping and still have a good ride both on the street and the trail. Time will tell.

Last edited by yjwrangler95; 06-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in