Project Piss Off My Neighbors and Set My Condo on Fire - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 200709
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Thanks, one day at a time.

It's not very difficult, just use the rebuild guides. A press makes it a lot easier but it can be done without one. The main shaft and bearing is the only "difficult" part.

I lose patience, i screw things up sometimes because of lack there of
tjrhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #52 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
This skid is trashed. I'm not going to try to salvage it, I'll just upgrade. A local guy, about 3.5 hrs away, has a warn skid for cheap but I don't want to drive 7 hrs. We'll see if I can get it somehow.

My plasma cutter didn't come with a swirl ring...not too happy about that but they said they put them in the mail today. I kept working anyway using cut off discs and finished my press brake. Works great!

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-03-2011 at 05:32 PM.
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #53 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I also made my cardboard mockups for the 8.8 truss and link mounts. Pinion is at 14 degrees, truss at 0. They will be boxed and dimpled. 1/4" for everything except the dimple stuff which is 10g. Welding the short side tube and truss is going to be tricky but I'm going to tie it into the sway bar mount. I might just clean off the axle tubes but I'll wait until my plasma actually works

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Dropped 5lbs of dry ice in the tank for anyone that wants to get rid of the fumes and excess gas easily.

Got the motor mount lift installed, it's from Rough Country. Not a bad piece of machined aluminum, the finish was great, everything lined up well, and the instructions were well written. Very happy with these right now.

Started removing the stock brackets too. I hated these on my first jeep...and I hate them even more now that I smacked my hand with a hammer. Ouch.

I took a break, I have a game soon. Tomorrow I'll have a little time start the crossmember. With the MML in place, I have the np435 flat and there's a little more clearance. I'll check it tomorrow and make sure it will work. Crossmember will be ~1.75 square tube, .250 wall.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 198573
Killer progress! You work really fast! I'm just lazy I guess, it takes me forever to move forward... I've got a pile of parts I still need to get installed....
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 146287
Man you are making good progress.
jhendrixtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #57 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Thanks guys, trying to get this knocked out while I have the time. I leave in a week for over a month, I'll be back before Christmas with more goodies so I can finish it up.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #58 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
So I'm at a stand still and can't do jack right now. Tried using the HF hole saws but they're crap and not meant for this thickness anyway. I gave up using them in an attempt to save them for sheet metal stuff. Everything I need to do right now requires cutting curves. Thought I'd be fine since I ordered a plasma...thanks longevity

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 99513
Besides the current set back, I like seeing what your doing. I too have a longevity cutter. Never had a problem with it. Sorry for your experience.

Motorcycle stuff.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Thanks man, I've been planning for a while. I have a notebook full of ideas and notes, pictures, drawings, calculations, etc. Longevity told me they shipped the swing rings and gave me a tracking number. I was hoping it would be here today so I could crank out some brackets or a crossmember but nothing in them mail yet. I work all weekend so it looks like Monday is my next chance to make a little progress.

I picked up all the material for my frame brackets, link towers, and a cute little heim for my shift linkage

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 198573
I'm really interested in seeing how you modify your shift linkage! If it was me I would've just hacked up the dashboard, lol!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #62 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
It will be down and dirty simple...very similar to what Dirt Fab posted.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I like this build nothing special just works. On my skid all I did was plate the bottom with 1/4 plate cut out with my plasma. Keep it up.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #64 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Thanks Rangerrod! That's the intent!

I got my swirl ring yesterday...time to see if this plasma lives up to it's name.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #65 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Got my swirl ring finally and couldn't resist putting it in the torch and making some test cuts. One thing led to another, the girlfriend had homework to do, which meant she was currently disabled from giving me....let's just call it "attention". Yeah, that's what we'll call it. So I dove into the deep end of plasma cutting utopia.

First up were the axle tube ends of the truss plate. Tried a hole saw but 20 minutes of holding down the drill press handles only to get 1/2 way through caused me to give up and focus on other things until today:

Marked it for the bends

Still needs some minor trimming and clean up but damn it came out good

Next up were the upper link towers for the stock brackets. Normally this would be easy, but East Coast Gear Supply has beefy brackets that are welded inside and out...I didn't even want to take these off, but they're in the way and I want a clean look. I think the track bar mount would have hit the tub before the links anyway.

Finally, after 15 minutes I got it off. If I had to use cutoff discs this would have taken forever as I don't have a sawzall right now.

other side was much easier, 5 minutes max

Ahhh, that's what I like to see!

Mocked up. Turned out pretty good, I'll have great separation but it's still high clearance. There's a 1/4" gap between the pumpkin and the link bridge. Looks like my design works well, I might have to market these. What do you guys think?

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 161770
looks sexy

now build me one for my 8.25

climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Thanks climbit, I've been thinking of offering small builder items like this and other misc items not offered by bigger vendors. If anyone has interest in these, PM me, and if I get enough requests I'll start making them in more quantities and get a yellow star

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #68 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Man! This thing is looking good! I was so busy with my pile of parts I didn't get a chance to look in on this recently. Making good progress for sure! You will LOVE that granny transmission on the trail.

As for the driveshaft to clutch fork to slave cylinder clearance... I ended up making a relocation bracket for the slave cylinder mount off of the bellhousing, building a small diameter but thick wall tube driveshaft, and then also cutting off the end of the clutch fork and welding a riser plate on it to get the clutch push rod higher up. I'll try to source some pictures after I get my mess washed down from last weekend's jaunt through Harlan.

AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Man! This thing is looking good! I was so busy with my pile of parts I didn't get a chance to look in on this recently. Making good progress for sure! You will LOVE that granny transmission on the trail.

As for the driveshaft to clutch fork to slave cylinder clearance... I ended up making a relocation bracket for the slave cylinder mount off of the bellhousing, building a small diameter but thick wall tube driveshaft, and then also cutting off the end of the clutch fork and welding a riser plate on it to get the clutch push rod higher up. I'll try to source some pictures after I get my mess washed down from last weekend's jaunt through Harlan.
Thanks! I won't get time to work on it again for 5 weeks but I got some good stuff planned for when I get back. I was hoping to have it on all fours this past week but setbacks are setbacks and it didn't happen.

If you can dig up pics of that modified push rod and slave cylinder setup I'd really appreciate it, I'm not sure if mine will clear or not. I haven't looked since I put in my mml but there just might be enough clearance. My driveshaft was in between the frame rails for 75% of my downtravel before this if that puts anything into perspective.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
knock this bad boy out when you get back. i'd like to do some snow wheelin with ya!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #71 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Will do, I don't plan to waste any time

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Looks good Trevin! Cant wait to see it on the trails and see how it works! What good is a clean jeep anyway?? haha!!!!! Keep it up man!!
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #73 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Thanks Greg! I think I've cleaned off more mud in the garage than I did at the car wash!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #74 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Couple things I've noticed and wanted to add or change to the build so far:

#1, I want a cage. A full cage, probably fastback style. If I'm able to fab my own 1.5" die, I'll do the design and bends myself. I also want to hit the tub with bedliner before final installation and have frame tie-ins.

#2, I kind of want boatsides using tube like rock mafia did on the "still a jeep" build in hardcore. I won't be making the frame rails straight like he did but it should be possible. My only snag is how I'm going to incorporate rubber/poly body mounts into it but I have some ideas. If anyone has insight into this let me know.

#3 I don't want a spare on the Jeep. I drag my spare to and from the trail every time and I've only needed to use it once when I got swamp shit in my bead. I got beadlocks now, shouldn't be a problem and it will save me 200lbs plus the tube work for a tire carrier. Simple rear bumper with 2" hitch should do the trick.

#4 A high pinion 44 front with dana 30 outers is in the plans right now. I'll need to get new inners from RCV, they quoted me $340 and I'd have my 27 spline inners laying around. I want to see if anyone has some 30 spline inners they want to trade since I'd rather use a real 44 locker or at least be able to use one down the road. Some people will say this is a waste of time and the 30 isn't worth it but if I do this right I can hack off the 30 inner Cs down the road and weld on the dana 60 Cs I have in the shop when I'm ready for tons.

#5 After the hp44 goes in, 37s will go on. I'll run that tire size for a while. Until then, 35 krawlers are where it's at! I'll do everything I can to get some in 37 blues!

Let me know what you guys think.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 11-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 187456
I want to see what you do for your shifter. I will be doing a similar swap in the future and the shifter clearance, or lack there of, was kinda throwing some codes in my thought process..

My drivetrain post swap will be 2.5L , ax5 BH, Ford NP 435 to 23 spline NP231. I think it will really help on the trails but I'll probably have to go to 35's for on road RPM's since I already have 4.88's....

OH! Im looking into adding a flywheel ring at the same time too....

Last edited by EricsGreen98Tj; 11-20-2011 at 07:20 PM.
EricsGreen98Tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in