Project Piss Off My Neighbors and Set My Condo on Fire - Page 36 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #876 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Sticky tars no Bueno in the snow.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #877 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Yeah I went wheeling around here at a place that had tons of cliffs in the snow before. Fuck that. Snow wheeling is fun enough on logging roads
RANGERROD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #878 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post
We should have just went on the logging roads.
Way to much winching!!!
Still a fun day though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still fun but I think I'll pass next time and try something flatter. haha!! Thanks for the pics Greg!!!

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #879 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Sticky tars no Bueno in the snow.
They actually did very well. Held up at 2-3 psi on the BTRs even going 20-30mph on the road back to loading area. I was seriously impressed. They hooked up just as well as any other tire there, just can't go uphill on ice. No beads lost, no burping air. The Jantz deflators make deflating easy as pie, so glad to have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Yeah I went wheeling around here at a place that had tons of cliffs in the snow before. Fuck that. Snow wheeling is fun enough on logging roads
Exactly. Romping around the campground roads and the loading areas with 1-2 feet was way more fun than sliding backwards down a cliff.

Ate up my Tactical Recovery Equipment winch rope too, barely any use on it. Damn fairlead developed a burr and just ate it. Still help up well, just needs to be reconditioned I think. I'll see if it can be fixed at KOH.

Rig needs a new battery. Suggestions? Been through an Optima and an Odyssey, Optima was new and Odyssey was 2-3 years old when I got it. Need something that can go down to minimum voltage with high draw for winching. I have a 117 amp alternator already.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #880 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Updates prior to KOH this year

Double Ended Ram Hydro Assist is in full effect. I may be moving the port location from the small 1/8" compound angle hole in the stock case, we'll see. I could also just open up the 1/8" hole.

Take apart your perfectly good box (that you'll later find to be damaged)

Hole in question:

I used Surplus Center fittings that were $1 each so I ordered extras. Glad I did, the ram needed new fittings. I used reusable field service fittings from Trail Gear and bought 100R5 hose from a surplus hydraulics online store.

Yarded the "old" PSC box and stock pump. Thinking of putting on my newer LJ pump and throwing this on the girlfriend's new TJ. Might just sell it. For now, it's the spare system.

To disable the power steering in the box itself, which is what powers the sector shaft, you remove this piston, the o ring, and the teflon seal.

Make cuts like this, to disable the piston. I used super accurate grinder wheels and flap discs, good to 0.000001". Impressive, I know.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #881 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Make a ram mount. Shown is .250 wall to the axle and you can see the .120 wall for the main tube which will be sleeved with 1.5x.250 DOM and possibly some 3D printed or aluminum caps. If you remember, I made the mounts for the aluminum PSC clamps and they work very well!

Weld up and smooth this hole, it's just behind the front cap and retaining clip. This will fully disable your power steering to sector shaft. Do not do this if you are just wanting to port your box for hydro assist.

Forgot to post a picture of the Jeep in the garage, so here it is, randomly in the middle of how to tap your box!

Mark and drill your holes. As you can see, the top hole on the milled flat section goes straight through. I put it right on the center of the casting and in the center of the milled flat. It doesn't necessarily matter if you hit center on this hole, so use it as practice for the lower hole. On my box, there was a casting mark for the lower port but you can see the port running along the box perimeter/profile. You have to cut your hole as close to on center as possible. I hit it DEAD center and must have lined up this drill process 12 times before actually drilling. I used a large drill bit to make the start mark then a small 1/8" drill bit to actually punch through and check depth. A drill press is a must here.

The surplus center fittings I used have a JIC 37 degree fitting on one end, which is the flared end you see, for the Trail Gear and most convention fittings for hydraulics. The other end is a SAE 6 fitting. You torque these to 40 foot pounds (ft lbs). Their threads are 9/16-18. This is NOT NPT!!!!

The O ring on these is just under 5/8" at 0.620" in diameter and you must give it a 0.080" counterbore for the o-ring to seat and seal. Remember, you can also weld these fittings to your box if the threads don't work out. I may just do this to ensure a tight seal. The pump and system operates at 1400+ psi, so you want a good seal here. I used a 5/8" flat faced end mill but I think a 5/8" drill bit could be used.

All said and done, with all the fittings, it should look like this. The black fitting is a standard push lock fitting from Amazon. I used 16mm and 18mm x 1.5mm to JIC adapters to go from the box to the other fittings. All in all, I think a good budget for fittings, hoes, and misc bits for this is around $150.

That's where I am right now. I wasn't sent enough 7075 for the steering links so I may have to make one out of 6061 for KOH. I have just about everything else needed to make it all work. I'll post up more after the weekend. I have mounted my new pump, reservoir, cooler, and filter but need to take pics. I may be modifying the box for the bigger port, we'll see what I do. I don't want it to be slow so I am going to have to do something to improve the flow.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 01-13-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #882 (permalink)

Member # 111955
Curious as to how this will work out. I've had this idea cooking for a while now. Seems like an easy way to avoid a $500 external servo. There are ways to improve the flow through the spool valve. Just takes patience and a really hard drill bit or end mill. Or just do it the easy way and steal the spool valve out of your PSC box
tbuff02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #883 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuff02 View Post
Curious as to how this will work out. I've had this idea cooking for a while now. Seems like an easy way to avoid a $500 external servo. There are ways to improve the flow through the spool valve. Just takes patience and a really hard drill bit or end mill. Or just do it the easy way and steal the spool valve out of your PSC box
Hmmmm maybe I'll yank it apart after KOH and check it out. This will be a big improvement even if it's slow. JR4X has already done this mod, so the credit goes to him. Hopefully it works out great because I am not wanting to spend $650 on the Howe modified Sweet servo plus modify my steering shaft and mounts. I also don't think we need all that volume, so I would rather trade down to a 2.0 ram body or make one myself.

The only reason we need the Servo for big rams is due to the volume and flow required for them, as I'm sure you know. I think we are oversteering our rigs as far as power goes, so a smaller ram would be fine, I think. We'll see! Thanks for the input!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM   #884 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Jr4x was working with a psc assist box, which is supposed to be modified/ built for better flow.

One of the things that Jeff at Howe pushes is matching the stops for all of the components. I realize that is somewhat impractical with a panhard, but did you look into that at all, while the box was apart? I am finally mounting up my steering system on the axle, still a ways out from you. As I am starting with literally nothing, the servo is the least expensive route for me and guarantees performance.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #885 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Jr4x was working with a psc assist box, which is supposed to be modified/ built for better flow.

One of the things that Jeff at Howe pushes is matching the stops for all of the components. I realize that is somewhat impractical with a panhard, but did you look into that at all, while the box was apart? I am finally mounting up my steering system on the axle, still a ways out from you. As I am starting with literally nothing, the servo is the least expensive route for me and guarantees performance.
Yeah, this box-

PSC makes their own casting, which is why the snout doesn't have such a pronounced port, which is the 1/8" hole that's drilled at an angle through the box on that same side. They have their fitting rotated down to bring it closer to the said angle hole, then drilled and tapped there. I will probably be doing the same thing, but just taking the hole to a larger size and leaving my fitting where it's at. No room for a fitting anywhere else.

As for the stops, since the box is no longer powered, IMO, the axle stops and ram stops will be sufficient. I'll be limiting the ram, if it's a problem, externally with a couple aluminum slugs on the end of the shaft.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #886 (permalink)

Member # 94747
I went and checked myself before I inserted an answer. I drilled my ports out to 9/32" and they both go straight into the servo on the box. That is the smallest port diameter in my whole hydraulic system now, 9/32".
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #887 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
I went and checked myself before I inserted an answer. I drilled my ports out to 9/32" and they both go straight into the servo on the box. That is the smallest port diameter in my whole hydraulic system now, 9/32".
Thanks jr4x! I was looking over my box, it seems the only hole I have to open is the the small 1/8" hole at the compound angle in the snout of the servo. I'm hoping to run a guide rod through it and follow it with an end mill. I've thought about using a tapered reamer, we'll see.

Tick tock, gotta get it done.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #888 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Box is bored out to 9/32 from the tiny 1/8" hole.

The bad news: I probably won't make KOH this year due to work. Really bummed about this, but it could lead to some very good things. There's always next year. This is the year that I was the most prepped, which is ironic Aside from the steering, the Jeep, camper, and trailer are ready to go.

I'll just have to take this thing to the dunes and test it there. LS transplant is looking closer now though...

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #889 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Well shoot, I was hoping for koh updates. I wound up going with a borgeson 525 manual box and committing to the external servo.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #890 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Well shoot, I was hoping for koh updates. I wound up going with a borgeson 525 manual box and committing to the external servo.
Ended up not going, which is still bumming me out. Life got in the way and I needed to support my family, which is more important, but I still can't help but groan when I see all the cool shit on IG and the forums about KOH. Next year

I did keep my productivity high!

Redesigned the front track bar setup, this will allow me to run a front sway bar, which I really need. Found a 32" .7" OD Currie sway bar in the classifieds and I'll run that for now and see how I like it. I think I'll want stiffer bars, but we'll see.

The steering system WORKS and works WELL!!! I haven't had the tires on it yet since I had to yank apart the box again, but overall it's great so far!

Tie rods are 7075-T651, all RuffStuff heims, made some stainless spacers to use 0.625" bolts in the 3/4" bore of the 7/8" heims. Milled out the aluminum clevis on each side to accept the larger heim. All new AN hardware and 100R5 hose. 3D printed a filter mount and welded a tab for the reservoir. Running a 12 or 15" cooler (can't remember which) and it all works well together so far.

Box had an issue, I think I smash the sector shaft bearing so it was puking fluid when I would turn full left. Pulled the bearing out and it's seized and oversized from force. Probably me hitting it with a socket in place. New one on the way, 1-1/4 ID, 1-5/8 OD, 1-1/4 width Koyo 2020 bearing part number.

Anyway, onto the pics!

Even more exciting than my steering has been, I finally got started collecting parts for my v8 swap. Enter the LS2

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #891 (permalink)

Member # 7233
1.5" dia on the links? I think I'll be sticking with 1.25" x 11/16" id unless I try to go to a 1x .188 4130? I'm fighting for room at full lock as I have the drag link in front of the tie rod.

*edit, looking at your pics, those aam knuckles have a much more favorable stock arm position than my ford knuckles.

Last edited by Wilson; 02-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #892 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
1.5" dia on the links? I think I'll be sticking with 1.25" x 11/16" id unless I try to go to a 1x .188 4130? I'm fighting for room at full lock as I have the drag link in front of the tie rod.

*edit, looking at your pics, those aam knuckles have a much more favorable stock arm position than my ford knuckles.
Yup, 1.5" 7075. I have a double shear knuckle kit I designed for the drag link side too. I like these knuckles so far. Too simple to use and the kit I made ties into a big 12" stretch of the arm.

I've been looking at your build, looks like space is gonna be tough. Those JHF arms are nice though! Ford knuckles have many more steering options than I do.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #893 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I got mine sorted out for now. I had to make my own arm (again). I'm waiting on tires and wheels before I pull out any more hair chasing steering angle that I may not even be able to use. Should be another 2-4 weeks on both tires and wheels.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #894 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
I got mine sorted out for now. I had to make my own arm (again). I'm waiting on tires and wheels before I pull out any more hair chasing steering angle that I may not even be able to use. Should be another 2-4 weeks on both tires and wheels.
I'll have to checkout your thread again, been a few weeks. What did you order? I'm wanting to switch to KR2s but I will have 8 sticky Falkens soon

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #895 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I need to update the thread. I ordered a set of 41.5 radial rockers. I checked in today and it sounds as if they may go out next week. I'm looking at either the kmc machete or method 102. Both have a 2-4 week lead right now.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #896 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Oh snap!! Ls time
Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #897 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
I need to update the thread. I ordered a set of 41.5 radial rockers. I checked in today and it sounds as if they may go out next week. I'm looking at either the kmc machete or method 102. Both have a 2-4 week lead right now.
I am partial to the Methods, but maybe that won't look as good with the Pitbuls? Those Machetes look beefy. You looked at Walker's too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
Oh snap!! Ls time
Yeah, it will probably take me a year to build it up in a long block

Plan for now is LS3 top end, decent cam, good tune, 58x system to run a 6l80e, and Atlas 2.0. Obviously, this will take a while. Haha!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #898 (permalink)

Member # 7233
I did add walker's to the running last night. I've had two sets, they're just on the heavy side. I should have a weight on the machete soon. The 101 is 34,5 lbs.... hard to argue with that.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #899 (permalink)

Member # 46942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Yeah, it will probably take me a year to build it up in a long block

Plan for now is LS3 top end, decent cam, good tune, 58x system to run a 6l80e, and Atlas 2.0. Obviously, this will take a while. Haha!
no reason to rush it when what you have still works as that's a that's a nice list!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #900 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
I did add walker's to the running last night. I've had two sets, they're just on the heavy side. I should have a weight on the machete soon. The 101 is 34,5 lbs.... hard to argue with that.
I vote powder black Walkers with silver rings They did get a fantastic review by Shannon Campbell at KOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjared413 View Post
no reason to rush it when what you have still works as that's a that's a nice list!
Thanks man! I'm stoked to build it. So far all I've got is ARP head studs

Currie sway bar and harnesses came in last night. Might be selling both my Currie sway bars though, they won't be beefy enough for the speed and weight of my rig, I think. I wanna go fast

If anyone is interested in the Currie Anti Rocks let me know!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in