Project Piss Off My Neighbors and Set My Condo on Fire - Page 44 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #1076 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 217714
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Yeah, pretty damn close but I think it'll work. Had me a little worried

Who's got the best deal on drivelines for us on PBB? Might just cut these down myself for spares and buy new so I can go faster than 70
I just buy these, they are decently cheap and are somewhat local to me so they show up fast.

Jeep 1310 Driveshaft
Old 12-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #1077 (permalink)

Member # 135533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I just buy these, they are decently cheap and are somewhat local to me so they show up fast.

Jeep 1310 Driveshaft

Damn, I like that

Sent from my iPhone using Crashalot
Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #1078 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
Who's got the best deal on drivelines for us on PBB? Might just cut these down myself for spares and buy new so I can go faster than 70
If you aren't in a hurry I would go with Jess, @onetoncv on here, at High Angle Driveline. He seems to have a VERY GOOD reputation on PBB for quality work. Unfortunately, it might take a while to get the shaft as he is starting a new shop since his original one was in Paradise, CA and burned down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #1079 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Lots of folks make driveshafts.

Tom Woods has been my guy. Always got exactly what I wanted, was stupid fast for a mail order shafts, and was less money than my local guy. Plus, when I needed work (changed from D44 to D60s), I sent them back, and they shortened them. I've beat the hell out of my shafts, and never broke.

Also, for what it's worth, Go 1350 joints and give yourself an extra margin of peace of mind.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #1080 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

Jeep 1310 Driveshaft
Wow, that's cheap. I'll have to keep that in mind. I was looking at Adam's Driveshafts too but those look well made and the price is better than any I've seen. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
If you aren't in a hurry I would go with Jess, @onetoncv on here, at High Angle Driveline. He seems to have a VERY GOOD reputation on PBB for quality work. Unfortunately, it might take a while to get the shaft as he is starting a new shop since his original one was in Paradise, CA and burned down.
Yeah I saw that on his Instagram. But it looks like he's getting his shop setup again. He knows his stuff for sure. I forgot he was on here, I'll give him a call. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Lots of folks make driveshafts.

Tom Woods has been my guy. Always got exactly what I wanted, was stupid fast for a mail order shafts, and was less money than my local guy. Plus, when I needed work (changed from D44 to D60s), I sent them back, and they shortened them. I've beat the hell out of my shafts, and never broke.

Also, for what it's worth, Go 1350 joints and give yourself an extra margin of peace of mind.
Tom woods is pretty good, my last TJ had their SYE shaft. $269 for standard and $299 for HD 1310 shafts. I'd go to 1350 but I like having an easy to replace fuse in the drivetrain. I don't really want to tear down the front hubs/UB on the trail. I'd rather pull off, replace the driveshaft, and keep going. Just preference is all. Thanks for the help.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #1081 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
Quote:
Pretty much but I donít have 5 days to wait on shipping and this was free
Ah if it's free then I got ya.

Did the lifters stay up in the block after you spun it around a few times before throwing the wooden dowel rods in? I've seen where some stay up without any issues and others keep on falling down no matter how easy people try to spin the engine over.
matts88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #1082 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
The thing Iíd worry about with 1310 is if the front cv goes and takes out the trans.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #1083 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts88yj View Post
Ah if it's free then I got ya.

Did the lifters stay up in the block after you spun it around a few times before throwing the wooden dowel rods in? I've seen where some stay up without any issues and others keep on falling down no matter how easy people try to spin the engine over.
Yeah it worked decently. I ended up using the H plate as a single spring compressor laid over one side of the head. Worked well. If anyone wants the DXF to cut, let me know. I can also cut them for anyone that wants one for cheap.

edit: Almost forgot your other question - yes, the lifters stayed in the lifter tray after I took off the cam bracket and spin the cam a few times. The wood dowels are $1 at Home Depot and work great. It's a tight fit. I had to really shove them in there and pray I didn't break one. I wouldn't risk not using the dowels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
The thing I’d worry about with 1310 is if the front cv goes and takes out the trans.
HEY! Quit bringing up valid points that lead to my anxiety!

I'm going to tell myself that the odds of the CV breaking instead of the joint at the pinion is pretty low. I am thinking it'll be fine. It's a 1310/1350 conversion joint at the pinion so I'm really hoping it grenades before anything. But now I might draw up a shield for the trans plug.

edit: this thread is gonna help me sleep at night:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...w-38-plus.html

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 12-13-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1084 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Got the front end buttoned up and ready to have the lower crossmember rewelded. I had a stress crack in the weld around the pass through tube for the steering box shaft. I missed the entire bottom of the tube that connected it so I’m not surprised it cracked. I’ll glue it together this week and paint the exposed tubes. I removed the temporary crossmember and ground smooth all the connections. The 3” flap disks made this quick, not sure how I ever lived without these smaller discs that mount to a die grinder.

I had an issue with the spacing of my Goat Built alternator and TC pump brackets. The tc pump spacing was 1 rib proud of the main pulley so I think I have it fixed. It was pitching belts at higher rpm and I lost a belt at about 60mph on a lakebed last year.

TBSS intake is mounted but is super close to the hood. The TB is actually touching the fiberglass when fully closed. Luckily a nice endmill will fix this with a chamfer

4L80E fits into the TJ trans tunnel after the tab on the drivers side is cut off. Had to replace the internal wiring harness after I accidentally rolled the trans onto the original. They’re about $42 on Amazon if anyone needs one.

Drew up a bracket to mount the Lokar throttle cable for LS1. I’ll snap some pics when it’s done. I 3D printed a test piece that fit really well until I broke it.

Baby steps but almost there. Taking a few days off at Christmas to get all the little things done and get it out for a test drive. Still not sure if I’ll have time to mount my shiny used 2.5x14 bypasses. Fingers crossed!

Edit: last pic is TB good clearance but it’s upside down
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 12-17-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1085 (permalink)

Member # 834586
Looking good man! Itís all coming together. Excited to see those bypasses eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #1086 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcope002 View Post
Looking good man! Itís all coming together. Excited to see those bypasses eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Been chugging along on it. Hoping to make a big push this week and if everything goes to plan I can chop frame after Christmas. Since I've setup shocks about 100 times now, it should go pretty quick.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #1087 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Been a bit busy. Still a lot to do. Trans is in for hopefully the final time. For anyone that buys a converter from Jakes, there is an allowable gap of .120Ē to .187Ē between the flex plate and converter face prior to installing the bolts. Keep this in mind so you donít panic when everything is bolted together. This came straight from Mike at Jakeís Performance.

Had to beat the trans tunnel a bit but I think everything will fit. Hoping to have the D300 in place tonight. Advance Adapters makes a shorter input retainer for the Dana 300 with a 6209 RS C3 sealed bearing. The only problem with this is the bearing doesnít actually seal with their design. Iím not convinced itís a truly sealed bearing either. So I designed a mod to put a typical seal on the front of the input retainer. It uses SKF 21352 which is a popular trailer axle seal. We had to turn down the input shaft major diameter .005Ē to make a decent seal surface. The seal is a slight press fit into the newly machined retainer but Iíll use sealant on all the surfaces of this retainer. I canít have gear oil in and the trans again.

My old crossmember for the AW4 fits pretty well for the 4l80e so Iíll be chopping it up to use with a new mount. Time to cut more metal.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #1088 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
TB bracket done, D300 refreshed with new input seal. Ready for this holiday break so I can make some real progress on this.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 12-20-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #1089 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Forgot to show you guys the real goods

3D printed dies for the finger brake...these worked GREAT and I can't believe how well they handled the shop press. Carbon fiber nylon filament. I'll be cutting gooseneck male dies later on with the cnc plasma.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #1090 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
And made a few shock shaft clamps for a buddy. These should work pretty well for the 1.625" shock air shocks he's gotta take apart. Also showing the result of the above dies after they came out of the press.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #1091 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Man you have all the cool tools.

Love it.

DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #1092 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
bad ass

what version of the swag bender is it?
i saw your link mounts in other thread, and you really do nice work

fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #1093 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverJC View Post
Man you have all the cool tools.

Love it.
Thanks, it's a good combo to have! If only I could get more time in a day now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
bad ass

what version of the swag bender is it?
i saw your link mounts in other thread, and you really do nice work
It's the swag finger brake kit for the 20t press.

Thanks bud

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #1094 (permalink)

Member # 14882
I put the sealed bearing on the input of my 300 also. Instead of the AA retainer, I just machined down the factory one. I too noticed that bearing won’t completely seal the case as the bearing is a light press fit. I RTV’d the OD of the bearing and will hope for the best. I like your modification to fit the lip seal. Is there still a flange in the retainer to take the bearings thrust loads? I think there is but couldn’t tell from the pictures.
blay127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #1095 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by blay127 View Post
I put the sealed bearing on the input of my 300 also. Instead of the AA retainer, I just machined down the factory one. I too noticed that bearing wonít completely seal the case as the bearing is a light press fit. I RTVíd the OD of the bearing and will hope for the best. I like your modification to fit the lip seal. Is there still a flange in the retainer to take the bearings thrust loads? I think there is but couldnít tell from the pictures.
This exactly what I did and never had a problem had it apart 2-3 times.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #1096 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blay127 View Post
I put the sealed bearing on the input of my 300 also. Instead of the AA retainer, I just machined down the factory one. I too noticed that bearing wonít completely seal the case as the bearing is a light press fit. I RTVíd the OD of the bearing and will hope for the best. I like your modification to fit the lip seal. Is there still a flange in the retainer to take the bearings thrust loads? I think there is but couldnít tell from the pictures.
Thanks! Yeah this should be double sealed now. I did the same as you with RTV on the bearing OD. Itís a very light press fit that I could do with my hands. There is a flange inside to take the thrust load. There are also grooves for a snap ring but they didnít supply one and I donít recall having one. I put it back in without the snap rings since it had the forward wall still. Thereís enough meat to turn down a .150Ē deep counterbore into the front of the retainer housing. See my pic below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
This exactly what I did and never had a problem had it apart 2-3 times.
Good to know!!!
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #1097 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 502649
Drag link

I know it was a while ago but how did you bend your drag link? 1.5 die? I want to put a similar bend in mine and wondering if I could get away with 1 3/4 die.
Iíve also read about taking a piece of 1 3/4 .120 wall, bending 180 and cut it in half to make an insert, the id being 1.5.
Thanks
Twmdodge99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #1098 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmdodge99 View Post
I know it was a while ago but how did you bend your drag link? 1.5 die? I want to put a similar bend in mine and wondering if I could get away with 1 3/4 die.
Iíve also read about taking a piece of 1 3/4 .120 wall, bending 180 and cut it in half to make an insert, the id being 1.5.
Thanks
I used the method with the 1-3/4x.120 wall insert and it worked very well. Using a larger die without the spacer will crush the tube and make it extremely weak. Make sure youíre watching the final OD so itís not ovaled.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 12-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #1099 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Stock TJ pedal?
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #1100 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Stock TJ pedal?
Yup, stock pedal that I may have modified a bit to use the Lokar LS1 throttle cable. Iíll need buttons screws to keep it off the hood.

Cut out a crossmember to trans mount. Still need to finish it up. Iíve been busy making a bed for my nephew and cut a few gifts too.

Sent my injectors through the ultrasonic cleaner at work. I bought a complete spare set for $40. Shaved the PTM throttle body for the hood with a huge chamfer. Picked up this shorty style 4l80e dipstick off eBay. Figured itís essier to reach down and check fluid every once in a while than to fish it through the engine bay. I was planning to run the Lokar dipstick but everyone on LS1tech said it makes filling the trans an hour long ordeal.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 12-24-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in