Project Piss Off My Neighbors and Set My Condo on Fire - Page 47 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #1151 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Lookin good Trevin!!
Love how low it is!!
Might have a candidate for one of those kits!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 AM   #1152 (permalink)

Member # 74066
My Hobart 210 MVP takes a spool gun. I'm really digging the welder in general, it's treating me good, but I don't have the spool gun for it. I have a lot of work to do to the front half of my Jeep before I go to Moab in April, but I'd let you borrow my welder if you wanna get a spool gun for it for you to use and just get it all set up like you want to run the spool gun for a bit to do your dash. The spool guns are pretty cheap. If I'm not gonna be using my welder, you can certainly borrow it for a bit.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #1153 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post
Lookin good Trevin!!
Love how low it is!!
Might have a candidate for one of those kits!!

Thanks Greg! I have to raise it up a bit for KOH but it will come back down with the new bypasses. I'll be getting more link kits after KOH so let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
My Hobart 210 MVP takes a spool gun. I'm really digging the welder in general, it's treating me good, but I don't have the spool gun for it. I have a lot of work to do to the front half of my Jeep before I go to Moab in April, but I'd let you borrow my welder if you wanna get a spool gun for it for you to use and just get it all set up like you want to run the spool gun for a bit to do your dash. The spool guns are pretty cheap. If I'm not gonna be using my welder, you can certainly borrow it for a bit.
Thanks Adam! Maybe we can swap welders for a week I'll have to look into the spool guns. That's a ways off but I'll keep it in mind! Might have to take you up on that one.

Have some fresh pics coming in a few with a walkaround video...

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #1154 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Drove it around the block yesterday. Jeeeeeezzzzussss it's scary fast. I punched it in a large open area and the 80e downshifted, the rear end planted and squatted a bit, and the front end rose slightly. The Jeep took off so quickly I was a little shocked Steering is very tight but always the same speed. I am growing to like it. It takes some effort to get going but no twitching at all and very powerful. Much happier with the new steering setup and the Genright pitman arm. Made some spacers for the short tie rod on the ram too, which had a small amount of binding.

Fan controls are working well, trans temps only got to around 175. I need to check the level and fill it up slightly I think. Replaced the brake line. Massaged the bump cans, thanks to Paul for the recommendation. D300 still leaks because it's a D300. Need to swap rear springs to heavier rate to get more lift in the rear for 7" uptravel at KOH.

I have to install my tunnel covers but that's it. Ready to roll.

Walkaround video:

Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #1155 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Couple more with the dash assembled. It's not THAT bad!

Side shot to show how low it is
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #1156 (permalink)

Member # 834586
Sounds mean and I love the stance! Canít wait to get mine fired up!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #1157 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Thanks Adam! Maybe we can swap welders for a week I'll have to look into the spool guns. That's a ways off but I'll keep it in mind! Might have to take you up on that one.

Have some fresh pics coming in a few with a walkaround video...

Most alum spool guns don't give the kind of results you'd want on a dash (thin alum). They run the spray arc transfer method, which doesn't lend itself well to good looking beads. The good looking MIG alum beads on radiators and such are done with push/pull guns running pulsed MIG. Just those guns alone are 2k+ and you need a machine with a pulser.

Just a data point to consider.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #1158 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Looks great. Why did you choose to place gages on A pillar, instead of in the OEM factory location?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #1159 (permalink)

Member # 111955
Quote:

yeah, no idea on the seal. Big giant WTF. Both of them are doing it. The shaft is tight in there and takes some finesse and axial push to get it in the carrier but nothing crazy. All done by hand. So not sure what's going on. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. @AlxJ64 is probably the smartest axle guy I know.
Are you using standard front D60 seals?

I machined some delrin sleeves and used doubled up Seals-It seals (like spidertrax uses) and pressed them in my front 60. They worked pretty good for a few years, but they really don't like the heat and were "crunchy" when I pulled them out last weekend. I put super duty seals back in (fit in the same place as an old 60 seal). Timken 710492. It's a 2 piece seal that doesn't ride on the axle shaft. I'm hoping they last a long time since seals are such a pain to change.
tbuff02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #1160 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcope002 View Post
Sounds mean and I love the stance! Canít wait to get mine fired up!

Thank you sir I'm diggin the sound but the volume is a bit much. Need to route it out the back and probably put in a resonator somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Most alum spool guns don't give the kind of results you'd want on a dash (thin alum). They run the spray arc transfer method, which doesn't lend itself well to good looking beads. The good looking MIG alum beads on radiators and such are done with push/pull guns running pulsed MIG. Just those guns alone are 2k+ and you need a machine with a pulser.

Just a data point to consider.
Looks like I need a TIG. Better just add it to the tool list and pick up a used Miller. Wouldn't mind one of those new multi-process machines from Miller than runs MIG and TIG. Thanks for the input! I've TIG'ed mild steel, SS, and 6061 aluminum with good results so I think it's time to upgrade soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Looks great. Why did you choose to place gages on A pillar, instead of in the OEM factory location?
I already had that mount so I just threw it back on until I can 3D print a new designed dash bezel to fit the iPad. Not convinced I like the iPad gauges yet either. Would really like a set of Autometers so I might just pull the trigger later on for those and make this for maps and music. Not a fan of the giant obstruction but it works really well for being so cheap. $30 dongle, $10 app, $100 ipad, $40 case. Doubles as my in flight entertainment on trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuff02 View Post
Are you using standard front D60 seals?

I machined some delrin sleeves and used doubled up Seals-It seals (like spidertrax uses) and pressed them in my front 60. They worked pretty good for a few years, but they really don't like the heat and were "crunchy" when I pulled them out last weekend. I put super duty seals back in (fit in the same place as an old 60 seal). Timken 710492. It's a 2 piece seal that doesn't ride on the axle shaft. I'm hoping they last a long time since seals are such a pain to change.
Thank you for this! I will look at those and give them a shot. I ran a Seals-It seal in my D30 CAD axle and it worked great. I'm going to try those again or the ones you just posted. Tired of the issues and just want it done. Such a pain in the ass!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 01-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #1161 (permalink)

Member # 14882
Hey Trevin, build looks great! Congrats on getting it running and driving.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the AW4 setup. I got to wheel with it last weekend and it worked awesome. You can see it here....

Last edited by blay127; 01-30-2019 at 01:56 PM.
blay127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #1162 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by blay127 View Post
Hey Trevin, build looks great! Congrats on getting it running and driving.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the AW4 setup. I got to wheel with it last weekend and it worked awesome. You can see it here....
Thanks man and youíre welcome. Glad youíre happy with it. Looks like youíre using it well I always liked how simple it was to wire those manually and just go. Theyíre nearly bulletproof!

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #1163 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
Quote:

@AlxJ64 is probably the smartest axle guy I know.
Dunno about all of that... But yes, anything can cut metal as long as its harder than the metal... I mean, we cut most metals with other metals anyways. This may be a dumb question, but are the seals oriented in the right direction? Which side is the spring on? And by them being doubled up, they aren't opposing each other are they? Trapping stuff between them? I know you're on the lakebed now (I've seen you in Angel's (seven slot society) photos and comments).

You moved your seals to just inside the diff, right? Not sealing at the end of the tubes anymore right? Because I've never been a fan of that based on how much a trunion type U-joint causes wobble during rotation that isn't canceled at the diff end. Most likely you just found some of that PNW abrasive volcano rock and it got lapped into your seals.

AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #1164 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxJ64 View Post
Dunno about all of that... But yes, anything can cut metal as long as its harder than the metal... I mean, we cut most metals with other metals anyways. This may be a dumb question, but are the seals oriented in the right direction? Which side is the spring on? And by them being doubled up, they aren't opposing each other are they? Trapping stuff between them? I know you're on the lakebed now (I've seen you in Angel's (seven slot society) photos and comments).

You moved your seals to just inside the diff, right? Not sealing at the end of the tubes anymore right? Because I've never been a fan of that based on how much a trunion type U-joint causes wobble during rotation that isn't canceled at the diff end. Most likely you just found some of that PNW abrasive volcano rock and it got lapped into your seals.
KOH update coming up after this...

Thanks for chiming in Alex. I think you're right about some moon dust getting on the seal surface. It did not leak at KOH after I installed the tube seal. I plan to tear down the front end and check everything. I will likely swap the axle seals AGAIN and use either the 2 piece Ford style or a Seals It.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #1165 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Whew. What a week and a half. I'm going to post this in multiple parts to break up all the pictures. So much happened at this KOH and I'm so glad to be home even though we had a great fawking time! Best KOH I've had since the first one but especially because the rig did so well. We had a flash flood with massive rain showers, 50mph winds, then Snowpocalypse on the way home driving through a white-out blizzard.

The Jeep did really well and only had a few small problems. We didn't wheel as many trails as we would have liked, but we tuned quite a bit and hung out with some awesome people. The new power of the cam/intake/tune/trans made me realize just how badly I need to put in the bypasses. I couldn't do more than 40 in the rough and 65 in the smooth due to rear suspension bottoming out. I have maxed out the compression in the rear Fox 2.0s. It does feel reall good to have a transmission that HOOKS UP and GOES! It is addicting to feel the power send to the ground instantly and smoothly. I want to change my shift points and get the Jeep to a dyno. This combo is 100% what I've wanted out of the LS swap and I'm very happy with it. BTR Stage 3 cam, TBSS intake, and 4l80e with shift kit and performance converter.

I didn't like the feel of the steering wheel while we were there. I had to wear gloves or I'd get my hands and fingers caught in the wheel. The Joe's wheel is cool and large, which is great for looks and grip when I'm wearing gloves and doing technical crawling - but not good for high speed bare hands wheeling. I was walking around Hammertown and saw the MPI wheels at SDHQ. I said fawk it and bought the suede GT13 and adapter plate. Much better feel and I can yank the steering now. I need to reduce the number of turns in the box and remove the excessive resistance/drag in the column to get to 2 turns lock-to-lock. I'll post more on this later when I do the mods.
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-12-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #1166 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I burnt up the trans lines on the exhaust the day before we left. Rookie mistake, they detached from the zip ties. The 3D printed mounts I made did their job for the rest of the lines and they didn't fall into the driveline but I should have used a third mount from the get-go. I'll be replacing them and adding heat shield.

Tunnel cover needs to be sealed. The one I made isn't terrible but all the angles are too much. I'm going to weld new flanges on the tunnel cover with nut-inserts to make a flat tunnel cover.

Dash will get revamped with Holley EFI digital dash. It will remain a stock TJ dash for the foreseeable future. I like it and it works. Seats will get replaced before next KOH with a bucket of some sort. Center console to be redone at the same time. Hoping to make this next winters project along with cleanup, audio and radio management, and storage additions.

Broke in the Tom Woods driveshafts on Sledge. Videos to come soon. Glad I bought these, they're wonderfully made and held up to a few hits. I smacked the hydro ram mount REALLY hard a few times and it held up great. Rear end took some hits and scrapes but overall the Jeep armor did it's job well.

3M vinyl wrap held up to being scrapped on a huge rock. It kinda acts like paint when it's scratched.

Hub locks worked all week! No backed out bolts or issues, even when using suboptimal bolts.

My LS1 balancer wobbles a little bit, probably .030 to .040. I'm going to reseat it and buy the ARP crank bolt this time. If it's still off, I'll have to replace it. Main belt whines, it's shorter and not the typical routing per Goat Built instructions, 83 vs 91. I'll buy a new longer belt and try that. Still off 1 rib though even after spacing the PS pump out.

Overall, the Jeep rips and I'm excited to wheel it. Still looking for some 2" travel 2.0 bump stops from Fox or Radflo and 2.5x12 COs also from Fox or Radflo. I'm gonna get the small details worked out of the next couple months and chop this frame!
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-12-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #1167 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Couple more just because I like them. The Jeep is a blast to drive now! I'm already planning more trips for the summer
Attached Images

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #1168 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Here's a few videos. Don't judge my shitty crawling skills

https://youtu.be/YWCkPVlfPFU

https://youtu.be/609nxHZ5BP8

https://youtu.be/uWzRTtIkr5g

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #1169 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
Jeep sounds nice and healthy.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #1170 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Jeep sounds nice and healthy.
Thank you I know the pics are lackluster at best, just sitting around. We tried to run trails but by the time we finishing tuning 8 rigs it was mid week and trail tampons everywhere. We watched as Turkey Claw and CT were both clogged for hours by the same rigs. Shit, even Sledge was blocked for a couple hours and we waited and waited. Next year we're going to adjust our schedule and make more time for trails.

One more quick video leaving camp
https://youtu.be/UBvnwWYf0OU

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 02-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #1171 (permalink)

Member # 8335
Quote:
Thank you I know the pics are lackluster at best, just sitting around. We tried to run trails but by the time we finishing tuning 8 rigs it was mid week and trail tampons everywhere. We watched as Turkey Claw and CT were both clogged for hours by the same rigs. Shit, even Sledge was blocked for a couple hours and we waited and waited. Next year we're going to adjust our schedule and make more time for trails.

One more quick video leaving camp
https://youtu.be/UBvnwWYf0OU
Great trip to KOH!

My favorite JV trip was when we arrived the weekend before the race. Had the place the ourselves.

I'm going to send you a PM on your engine build details. I'm sure it's in your thread, but hey I'm lazy

Congrats on a solid run.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #1172 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by WideJ View Post
Great trip to KOH!

My favorite JV trip was when we arrived the weekend before the race. Had the place the ourselves.

I'm going to send you a PM on your engine build details. I'm sure it's in your thread, but hey I'm lazy

Congrats on a solid run.
Thank you

Just sent you a longass PM. Better grab a beer and dig in. I love going over different build recipes so you and the other guys that have PM'ed me recently opened up a can of worms

For anyone else wanting a quick rundown of the LS powerplant combo:

Engine (2002 LM7):
TBSS intake, PTM 92mm DBC TB, 33lb injectors, TBSS rail
Goat Built LS TC pump and alternator brackets
PSC 1200x TC ps pump, 5.5" pulley
Truck 5.3 Alternator
F body water pump and balancer
Knock sensor delete (might reinstall knock sensors)
truck pan, for now, swap to steel sheet pan later
BTR Stage 3 low lift cam, springs, valve seats
Melling M295 oil pump
LS2 timing chain
Lokar LS1 throttle cable and bracket
6AN lines, no plastic clips, all braided hose, no push-lock fittings

4L80E 2wd from 94 Chevy Van
Art Carr winters shifter
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Jake's Performance 3000 rpm stall 10.5" converter
GM $65 adapter
Tailshaft cut to length, 32 spline input on D300
Big griffin cooler with it's own fan
Stubby dipstick
8AN braided lines everywhere, no plastic or push-lock fittings

Exhaust
Speed Engineering block hugger headers
(these are nicer than you'd imagine and work perfectly)
Vibrant 2.5 to 3 merge collector
Black Widow Race Venom 250 muffler to dump

Harness and Electrical
PSI standalone harness, DBC Vortec and 4L60E
150tunes tune
iPad tablet and Wifi puck
Coming soon - Holley EFI digital dash
4L60E to 4L80E harness adapter

Fuel
TJ pump, regulator removed
Corvette regulator, for returnless rails
JEGS AN6 fittings, no plastic clips
Braided AN6 lines
Using existing 5/16 TJ hard line
Custom adapter from pump in-tank to top of TJ pump housing

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:

Last edited by gtxracer; 03-29-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #1173 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
I been checking out the Holley Digital Dashes myself. Pretty sweet. How do you think they will stand up to the off-road environment with all the dust and whatnot? That's been my only concern. If that's not a concern, then I can see one in my future. Would solve ALOT of issues.

Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #1174 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped View Post
I been checking out the Holley Digital Dashes myself. Pretty sweet. How do you think they will stand up to the off-road environment with all the dust and whatnot? That's been my only concern. If that's not a concern, then I can see one in my future. Would solve ALOT of issues.
They claim to be dust and water resistant. I know of a few race teams that use them and some trail riders too. You can wire in tons of sensors so I'm thinking it's the best bang for the buck and also cuts down on the space needed for gauges.

Been looking at oil accumulators and will probably add one in before next KOH along with a remote filter and engine oil cooler. I need to relocate my trans cooler as well, it gets hot when running around in the desert because I don't have enough airflow over it.

Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
Old 02-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #1175 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 62615
How are you liking that stall when crawling? Was going to stick to a near stock stall for my 5.3 while running a BTR Stage II truck cam.
matts88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in