MJ Crawler - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 22681
I got a Factory Service Manual for the 2003-2006 TJ (including the Rubicon) and found the instructions for the 241OR transfer case. I also found some install instructions for a 2-low kit, and it referenced having it in 4-low when assembling it. I did that and was able to get the transfer case back together last night, which I needed to because my son took the 4Runner out and got stuck again. I needed the Comanche to pull him out. Once the transfer case was back in the Jeep, I wasn't able to get it into neutral or 4-low, the linkage appears to be hitting something. I'll still have to get that fixed, but I was able to pull the 4Runner out. You'll notice in the video I can't even go up a slight incline in high range, the 4-cylinder just doesn't have enough torque down low, even with the race head, purple cam, etc.

https://youtu.be/ZYZ2IDvvaHUhttps://youtu.be/ZYZ2IDvvaHU
Old 06-06-2019, 04:54 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 22681
Thanks Actionfab. I fixed the TC linkage problem. When I installed stock motor mounts it lowered the engine, which pivoted the transfer case up slightly, causing the 4wd lever to contact the edge of the transfer case enough to prevent shifting it into neutral or 4-low. I modified some Daystar poly mounts and installed those, which fixed the problem.

Next issue is steering. My steering shaft U-Joints are worn and need to be replaced. Steering box is worn again as well. I'm trying to get it ready for my trip this summer to Insane Terrain, Badlands, and four off-road parks in Michigan.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 22681
I ordered Borgeson parts to create my own new steering shaft and finished that up yesterday. The parts are much beefier than the stock stuff I was running.

I got a new steering gear box (gotta love AutoZone Lifetime Warranty on that), and am waiting for a new lower steering column bearing to replace that as well. If there are other steering column components that are worn I'll replace them some other time. Either way my steering should be a lot better this time around.

I also started building a hitch carrier specifically designed for my new, larger cooler. The design goals are to keep it as small, compact, and tight to the body as possible. It also has to be able to take a hit or two without being damaged, and it has to have a tight fit in the bumper so it doesn't move around side to side as I'm crawling rocks.

A buddy of mine invited me to visit him near Toronto, so we might head that way after off-roading in Michigan. Does anybody know of any off-road parks or trails between Detroit and Toronto that I could hit along the way?

Last edited by cooleysix; 06-19-2019 at 04:52 AM.
cooleysix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 22681
The steering shaft is in and I made slight improvements to the alignment. I just need to adjust the steering wheel straight. There is still a tiny bit of play in the steering, not sure if it's from the steering column or what, I'll have to mess with it after the trip.

I finished up the cooler carrier. Next up is the spare tire mount if I have time. I still have to grease all of my Ballistic joints and check all my fluids before the trip.

I have also been doing a lot of work to the wife's 4Runner to make sure it's ready for the trip as well. I replaced the wheel bearings on the front passenger side and I'm dialing in the alignment now. I will be selling it after this trip so I can start on my new project, a 2006 Expedition on 43s and one tons. One week left until the trip.

Last edited by cooleysix; 06-25-2019 at 09:02 PM.
cooleysix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in