TOTW: Retro wheeling - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2003, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
TOTW: Retro wheeling

Welcome to the next installment of the

Topic of the Week

How cool would it be to roll up to the 'con in your newly built 56 flatty that looks like it looked in 1964?

We've discussed this in several threads - let's consolidate knowledge, thoughts, and aspirations here.

New challenges, both technical and on the trail await.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2003, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 8713
Too me there are two reasons I like Jeeps.

The frist is smacking my bitch up on the hardest trails I can find. Always showing no quarter to my rig and the rocks.

The second, and probably what initially turned me on to Jeeps is Cruising topless down the road and hitting moderate trails along the way. Be it to go camping, or to the cool secluded fishing hole.

My last couple CJs have fit into the first category and not the second due to sketchy road manors and questionable street legality.

A retro wheeler would fill the second category perfectly.

I think I would be into a CJ-6 with the Buick v6, power locked 44 in the rear, probably with an updated '77+ NT 30 with discs (not really retro but availible and better brakes).

Toss on a set of Goodyear Trackers and roll.

Just need to finish all of the other projects I have going and get started.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20214
The coolness factor would be great, but I'd have to be a bit shy about taking a mint flattie on a trail that I KNEW would screw it up. A trail-built CJ is one thing, but a well-built, restored, vintage flattie IMO would be just too nice of a Jeep to run the risk of having a rock remove the rear corner or something like that. There's a really nice CJ-2a here in Rockport that I have been trying to get my hands on for a couple of years now...the old geezer won't sell it to anyone.
Now, do I think the Jeep could do it? Hell yes I do.
jeepguy553 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2003, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11588
As already stated: a nicely restored flattie would most likely NOT be run on some trails. BUT: the trails it did see would cause the driver take on a different level of concentration, skill, attention, ability, and finesse.

When I first got into 4 wheeling, I was told: "Take your truck out in stock form, and learn how it drives... how YOU drive offroad. Then build it." To that end, there's something to be said for a "classic" (restored to stock) 4x4 like an old flattie that would make the driver be pretty careful and choose good lines on the trail.
---------
EDIT: I guess I could see this type of vehicle as a VALUABLE teaching tool for new wheelers or a fun rig for people just looking for something different/lower impact.

Last edited by Kilby; 06-09-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4135
I think that would be a great way to test a driver's ability. Take a relatively stock flatty across the Rubicon, have fun just taking it easy and enjoying the scenery. Maybe a power lock in the rear diff, manual steering and 30" tires, that would be a nice test of skill.
wheelerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2003, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
waterboy

Member # 9086
hell I'm doing that now!! well almost. with a '85 cj-7 31" tires and open front and rear, it makes alot of the trails interesting. for example, following SDCJ's buddy arron though Odesa canyon and I was making it through, with a little work, but I did. he has 35's and locked front and rear. yeah, he did stuff much quicker and cleaner than I, but I still made it.

I know that the discussion as been on going about over building a rig to compensate for lack of skill, but I don't think is totally true. I like what I got and will wheel accordingly.
surveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2003, 02:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 18276
I like the concept of driving a stock or mildly modified rig as opposed to an overbuilt one for a change. My rig is relatively well built for the trails around here and makes some things not even challenging anymore. All my buddies keep modifying and modifying and adding more and more stuff to their rigs, and in a short amount of time, the trails that we do aren't even going to be fun anymore because there's no challenge....everyone's rig will just walk over and through every obstacle (in illinois it's pretty tough to find extreme hardcore trails!)

I don't think that the rig really has to be vintage to be used for "retro wheeling," it just needs to be stock or close to stock. I have a '44 MB, but when it's done being restored, there's no way it's going to get beat on...it's too cool of a piece of history to beat on it. I did however recently beat the living piss out of a free XJ that i got, and it was such a blast driving the thing. It was bone stock and on street tires, and with a little momentum (ok it was floored most of the time) it went places i never imagined a stock vehicle would go. With 6 people (yeah, we're hillbillies) in the XJ, we made it through and up stuff in my backyard that two stock rubicons couldn't do!
So i guess that doesn't really count as "retro" wheeling, but it sure was fun to take out a stock rig and regain the challenge of obstacles that my built rig just walks over. In fact, when we were beating on this XJ, since we didn't care how much damage we did to it, we had some of the most fun wheeling we've ever had! Nothing like cruising through TIGHT trails in the woods at 20 mph!
The retro wheeling is a great idea. It would be one helluva cool feeling to take a 60's or 70's CJ and do some relatively hardcore trails with it. Not necessarily beating on it, but not being afraid to use the skinny pedal and not worrying too much about body damage...if the rig makes it through or over the obstacle, it's done a good job even if it gets a scratch or two.
There's pretty much two ways to approach harder trails...either build up your rig, or become a better driver. Most everyone jumps to building their rig right away and misses out on a lot of the fun that can be had with a relatively stock rig, and also misses out on acquiring a lot of skill that can be gained from finessing a stock rig through tough trails.
Skid plates are a must regardless.

-Ron-
Krash80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2003, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20214
Quote:
Originally posted by Krash80
I have a '44 MB, but when it's done being restored, there's no way it's going to get beat on...it's too cool of a piece of history to beat on it.
Very well said! Exactly the point I was trying to make...you just said it better.

Quote:
Originally posted by Krash80 I did however recently beat the living piss out of a free XJ that i got, and it was such a blast driving the thing. It was bone stock and on street tires, and with a little momentum (ok it was floored most of the time) it went places i never imagined a stock vehicle would go. With 6 people (yeah, we're hillbillies) in the XJ, we made it through and up stuff in my backyard that two stock rubicons couldn't do! [/B]
This sounds like it was a helluva lot of fun!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12706
Wow! This subject is still alive! Cool!
I'm also working on a 44 Mb/Gpw. My goal is not restoration but usabillity. I won't thrash any machine but I will push one and USE the thing as it's designer intended.
I'll watch this topic, see where it goes. Count me an my old Willys in for any upcoming events.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 112
As I stated earlier Jeff Mello (ProRock 2002 Stock Mod champ) and I have discussed how it would be fun. Take something make it look like and have parts like they ran in the 60's think striped safari tops with fringe. A nice paint job, and take it wheeling. They didn't stack much in those days but did take the time to NOT dent things. Imagine that????? I took my Suburban on a real trail it was challenging just trying to make it. Hard lines? Nope just completing it was a challenge. So take a pretty vintage period modified rig, and use it on the trail without fawking up the paint. Actually sounds like fun. Would I have to wear vintage clothes and listen to "oldies" on an 8 track too?

For the record a late model stock rig is not retro wheeling. It's wheeling a stock rig. Which some of us have done (one time in band camp ) . Those were some of the most fun times I've ever had.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5399
I've taken my '58 CJ3b wheelin several times, not on severely *Hard core* stuff.. but some decently difficult stuff...

It is pretty much stock except for 33x9.5 super swamper TSL radials. When you get done drivin' that thing you are *tired* no power steering, no power brakes, you are getting bounced around.. it is a lot of fun. 4 cylinder engine, 5.38 gears, open diffs... its a real little trooper.

On the one trip at a Jeep Jamboree, my hubby was in his CJ7 and I was in the 3b - we switched about 1/2 way through the day for fun.. getting in the CJ7 was like driving a LIMO, LOL

-Mel
Mel85CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2003, 04:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1372
I wheel my '68 Jeepster all the time. It's essentially stock with the exception of 33" ProComp M/T's and a 2" lift. I'm running a 225 V6, 3.73's PowerLoked in the rear, a TH400 and the original Ross steering (a real joy to drive on the freeway). I did upgrade the front brakes with 11" drums mainly 'cause the stock 10 inchers weren't worth a shit even with a booster. Coming down the back side of Peavine Mountain I had the front drums glowing a pretty dull red color.

I had to recall wheeling in the olden days when we didn't have all the trick stuff available today. I go real easy on the loud pedal. I know the rig's limitations and I know when to back off. I know I can't do the box but I've run the rest of the 'Con.

In the 2 years I've had my junk the only thing I've broken has been the left front brake line (which, in turn, caused me to break some other stuff) and the spiders in the front axle which I'll replace today.

I'll see you all on the Rubicon next week. Come on up and watch an old man get his rocks playing in the rocks.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2343
retro whellin? - my wife told me she wanted an old flatfender as a summer runabout .......... cant say that its not slightly appealing.

i was thinkin of ..........

flatty body , frame, 4 banger yj driveline , d44s outta a mid 80's FSJ , 16" hummer wheels and short (32" or less ) AT rubber, and prolley yj leafs under axles.

2 buckets and a bench in back fot the kidlet and a cage "like" a late yj or tj cage just for a bit of extra safety for the kid as well ( although my personal pref would be no cage )

Last edited by STOKJEEP; 06-14-2003 at 02:05 PM.
STOKJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2003, 09:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 10808
Quote:
Originally posted by STOKJEEP
i was thinkin of ..........

flatty body , frame, 4 banger yj driveline , d44s outta a mid 80's FSJ , 16" hummer wheels and short (32" or less ) AT rubber, and prolley yj leafs under axles.

2 buckets and a bench in back fot the kidlet and a cage "like" a late yj or tj cage just for a bit of extra safety for the kid as well ( although my personal pref would be no cage )
And how is that going to be retro when it's done? I don't think that there is anything retro about power steering.

I just finished putting a new winch on my '43 MB so she can return to the High Lakes on Thursday for 4 days of trout fishing I would have kept the 'retro' PTO winch on it, but Monkeyboy needed it more than I did.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 3904
I drove a TJ through the Rubicon with a 2" lift and 29" tires. No damage! So it can be done. I know its not retro but it sure makes it fun. I later upgrade to 31" tires and drove through. My 47 has 33s on it and that is as big as I need.
rokryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2003, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 20214
Quote:
Originally posted by STOKJEEP
16" hummer wheels
Did the older flatties come stock with Hummer wheels? What about the air lines?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1108
50 somthing flatty. Every fender or QP a different color. Slant 6 with a gawd knows what else. Pizza cutters and stock everything. If we got stuck, we'd litterally lift it out if we had to. That only happened like twice. Most of the time, we'd rely on old school lockers. AKA: air down the pizza cutters to damn near flat. Pulled out damn near every time. Amazing machine. No matter how many beers we drank or Manzanita trees we plowed into, it ran.... and ran... and ran... and ran...
Old 07-04-2003, 01:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 7252
Send a message via ICQ to thenodnarb Send a message via AIM to thenodnarb
i just bought a 73 CJ5 in excellent condition for the purpose of finnishing my other project which is listed in my sig. the thing is just so damn nice though that I am having real regrets about it,(I plan to swap the bodies). in order to make it fit my YJ frame nicely, I need to stretch it. im gonna be really pissed if it doesnt come out good because I'll never be able to go back to what it was. it has a stock 304 v8 with the three speed and dana 20, dana 44 rear and 30 front. I gotta fix a few things and take it on a run before I remove the body. this thing is just so cool to drive around!
thenodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
B43

Member # 17040
I just purchased a 1948 flatty w/a chevy 327, 33" tires and open diffs, the body is in perfect conditon, and a mild lift, very cool, and i plan to cruise it through the con this summer...but I dont plan on tring anything too crazy, its just too pretty, but it will be used ffor its intended purpose
B43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2003, 07:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I dream of having a CJ6 with a 225V6, SM420, and a rear detroit.
All that was available at the time. Nice trail rig and still streetable.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 5960
Send a message via Yahoo to LAME
Grampa CJ invented retro wheelin

I should snap some pics of the '47. Transplanted F, chopped hood, shit pipe roll bar that is too low, buckets from a car, 32" tall pizza cutters, Sears & Robuck hubs. I wheeled the piss out of it in Wyoming Now its gonna get tore down to the frame, and built back up, but with a L.
Rock Rash Racing #613, Trail Tampon Spotter
LAME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Here's a little retro from a couple of weeks ago . . .
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2003, 02:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 1169
Send a message via Yahoo to Monkeyboy
Here's me getting it retro style.
No power steering
Original 4 cylinder motor.
T-98 4 spd swapped in.
warn O/D
Ramsey PTO winch to be installed soon.

Old 07-14-2003, 02:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 1169
Send a message via Yahoo to Monkeyboy
And Yes,
My front tire is about 5 feet in the air
Old 07-20-2003, 06:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 3654
i plan to build a flatty in the next few years, for my boy and i to go campin and do some mild wheelin in. it just sounds too fun not do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in