HAVOC TJ goin Buggy, lets wing it! ;) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrad12381 View Post
Did you figure out the bending issue? To me it sounds like you are feeding to tube into the starter backwards, which makes your start point wrong if that makes sense. If your always 7" long that comes out close to the clr of your die plus material stretch.
Nope, haven't figured it out yet. Details were posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running925 View Post
nope, I'm following the instructions from the tutorial. Also spoke with bend-tech to confirm that i was doing it right. The measurements are marked, the end of the tube that had the tape measure hooked onto it goes into the bender first. The tube is drawn in and bend is made, the tube is being slid further down to the next bend location and drawn through the bender. Then the tube comes out the other end.

Everything is coming out correct in the middle of the tubes, It's the first leg that always ends up to long and needs cut down to match the last leg. The last leg is coming out very close to where it's supposed to be. The problem is at least consistent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youngstown, Ohio
Running925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 124731
Subbed. Sweet built so far man.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 19763
I think we finally found Tony's issue w/ Bend-Tech. He had a calibrated a die for his work, however, he missed changing his parts over to the new calibrated die. In other words he had two dies in his library for the material he was using and he accidentally was using the wrong one. Next time he bends he should be dead on. Needless to say, we helped Tony remove the incorrect die from his library and reset his design. Thanks for being patient with us and giving us the time and tools to help you track this down.

Have a great day!!!

Cris

Bend-Tech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is now available!!!

Design full tube in less than a couple of hours with the PRO

We are the developers of the Bend-Tech products.
651-257-8715 for sales and support

10,000+ now using Bend-Tech
fabcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
I think we finally found Tony's issue w/ Bend-Tech. He had a calibrated a die for his work, however, he missed changing his parts over to the new calibrated die. In other words he had two dies in his library for the material he was using and he accidentally was using the wrong one. Next time he bends he should be dead on. Needless to say, we helped Tony remove the incorrect die from his library and reset his design. Thanks for being patient with us and giving us the time and tools to help you track this down.

Have a great day!!!

Cris
Thanks for the continued support, you guys really try hard to make sure your customers are having a good experience with your product. I can't wait to get to a point where i can bend another tube!

As for the rest of the project, Brown santa made a delivery! He brought my RCI fuel cell. I strung up my engine & trans to try and hang it in position. I wanted to see exactly how everything is going to fit and what i'm going to have to do for mounts.

The exhaust is going to be tight but i think it's do-able, I'm waiting on some parts to arrive from advanced adapters so that i can do the change over on my atlas. It used to be connected to an AX-15 & will now be connected to a 4L80e. They say it isn't to hard to do, so we'll see how that goes. It will be my first time messing with the transfer case other than putting the shifters on and filling it up with fluid!

You'll also see in the picture that shows the tube that was cut to make room for the engine, I started to monkey around with my front links a little bit the other night.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 12-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Advance adapters sent over the parts for my atlas. I'll be taking it apart for my first time in an attempt to change the input. Hopefully everything goes smoothly this weekend.

AX-15 to 4L80e conversion.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 227621
holy shit..subscribed!!
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Spent a lot of time working on this project over the weekend. Unfortunately it was slow going but progress is progress i guess.

I got the atlas tore down and swapped the input, got it all mated up to the 4L80e. That job was not anywhere as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Also have the motor sitting where I think it's supposed to be sitting and built some engine mounts, also powder coated them before assembly. I still need to build a transmission mount, so maybe i'll find some time to get that done later this week. It's almost time to tube the front of this thing so that it can actually support the weight of the engine. I didn't wanna do that until it was sitting in place though. Didn't wanna end up having to redo anything.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 12-08-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 148067
I came home to an awesome package today!

Swag Off-Road's Hulk tubing roller

Can't wait to test it out!
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 148067
How many square inches of radiator are needed to keep an LS engine cool?

Can it even be figured by square inches?

I currently have a dual core aluminum radiator left over from my last build and i'm thinking about trying to use it. Obviously this thing would have a shroud and nice electric fan, but what do you guys think size wise?

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Spent my saturday in the garage trying to figure out how i wanted to do the front tubes that will eventually hold my shocks & help support the engine.

Also tested out the hulk tubing roller. I'm not a big guy, i think i'm in decent physical shape, but this thing kicked my ass! It will be getting converted to electric drive very soon!

I wish i could have worked on this a little more today but had to get a bunch of holiday stuff ready for Christmas. We'll see what i can get accomplished next week.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 12-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 148067
When the UPS guy stops out front and gets the dolly out, you know it's about to be a good day!!!

Needless to say, i'm pretty excited that my front shocks have arrived.

King 2.0 Coilovers
King 2.5 3-tube bypass shocks

I better get busy on parting out the rest of this truck and my old jeep parts so that i can get the rears coming.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 148067
I spent the evening working on shock mounting. I only have the front driver side started but i feel like it was good progress. I'll try and spend some time working on the other side tomorrow.

I took the springs off and dis-charged all the nitrogen to make the shocks easier to work with for mock-up at full bump.

I plan to do a lot of gusseting and put in some support tubes but this is the start.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Well Christmas is fast approaching and I've had very limited amounts of time in the garage but feeling like i still got a couple things done.

The Front of the buggy is holding it's own weight, that was a very exciting feeling!

The rear 4 link is all tacked in place and will soon be able to support it self after i order some shocks. I'm just over here not wanting to shell out the money but i guess it's gonna hold me up if i don't do it soon.

I'm off work for the next couple weeks for the holidays so i'm going to try and make some progress after Christmas.

The short term list includes.
-building a cross-member/transmission mount
-install some anti-rock sway bars
-build some tubes and seat brackets for the driver/passenger
-order some more DOM

I've burned through 9 of the 10 sticks and i know i'm going to need some more. Just trying to figure out how much because i don't want a bunch of it laying around after i'm done with this build.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 12-23-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 227621
Really cool build man. Do you have an engineering background or is this the result of everything you learned on here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-26-2014, 06:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
Really cool build man. Do you have an engineering background or is this the result of everything you learned on here?
Thanks. No, i'm just 31 year old network administrator that likes to tinker in the garage.

Years ago I fabbed a turbo system for my honda civic based off of information that i learned from the web (my first real fab project). Over the last 5 years i've been playing with my TJ and built my own 4 link on there a couple times. I've done a tremendous amount of internet reading and studying other peoples builds. So my results will be a combination of internet information and previous experiences. I love wheeling and checking out other peoples home brewed rigs.

I built a transmission cross member / trans mount a couple days ago. I'll have to put pictures up later. I'm off work today so i'm gonna go see if i can get some sway bar work done.

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 12-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Here is what I came up with for the transmission mount the the other day.

It's on a cross member that is also removable via ID Tube clamps.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 227621
system administrator here

still learning things when it comes to making my TJ better. Just been sidetracked with my photography company and now online offroading magazine. my wheeling crew is yelling at me to stop taking pics and get back out wheeling since i've installed my 8.8, reger, and 35s
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202 View Post
system administrator here

still learning things when it comes to making my TJ better. Just been sidetracked with my photography company and now online offroading magazine. my wheeling crew is yelling at me to stop taking pics and get back out wheeling since i've installed my 8.8, reger, and 35s
Say what? I think you may be lost.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Spent some time working on the swaybar's this weekend. I still need to find room on the front axle for the swaybar link mounts but i'll get to that later.

Made some tiny tubes with the notcher to connect the sway bar tube to the chassis. They came out pretty good. I may add a little more support for them somewhere else though.

Finalized the rear lower tube so that it is wide enough for the rear seat but narrow enough for the swaybar to work.

I got the rear seat tabs tacked in place and bolted the rear bench seat in. I'm 5"10 and still have a few inches between my head and the upper tubes. Should work. I don't plan to have full size adults back there anyways.

I started on the tubes and mounts for the front seats and i'm not happy with the amount of leg room or how high they came out, so i'll be taking that back out and changing it up tomorrow.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Yesterday I worked on the front seats, and that seemed to take forever. For some reason finding a comfortable position that will place my feet in the correct spot for pedals and arm in the right place for future side tubes was extremely time consuming!

I think that this picture makes the seats look way higher than they actually are. I hope to be able to see over my imaginary hood.

After dinner I went back out to the garage to clean up and tinker a little bit. I decided to start on a front winch plate. Which then got me thinking about filling the oddly shaped void behind my fuel cell with a rear mounted winch. I hate to mount it that high in the rear but that is really the only option with the shape the way that it is.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 12-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49483
The back end filled up fast! Any ideas for storage?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogelj View Post
The back end filled up fast! Any ideas for storage?
lol, i said the same thing! I've got a little gap between fuel cell and back seat...

i'm noticing some spots for under floor storage in the passenger area, might make some trap doors or something. idk yet, but i defiantly need some storage coz i haul a bunch of crap around when i wheel.

Also might find some use for the space under driver and passenger seat. We'll see as i move forward. My buddy suggested some roof mounted storage but i really don't like anything on the roof so i doubt i'll do anything like that.

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 116524
Send a message via AIM to Travismo
are you planning on doing body panels or leaving it all tube?
Travismo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travismo View Post
are you planning on doing body panels or leaving it all tube?
I plan to build some aluminum panels for it after all the tube work is done. I've got a ways to go. Just ordered more tubing, hope to see it some time next week.

Youngstown, Ohio
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 148067
Worked on my tail light / license plate / rear mounted winch area today.

On my old setup, it seemed that whenever i was attempting an obstacle that was almost vertical, my license plate light would always get smashed. I wanted to do something to protect it a little better this time around, thus the recessed area.

I hope to purchase another winch soon and fit it into the back here. I used 1/4 inch plate on the upper section, i plan to drill the 4 bolt pattern directly into the 1/4 plate and have the fair lead mounted in the mounting holes. We'll see if that all pans out.

The lights that are being used are just some cheap LED trailer lights from harbor freight. I used the Round ones last time and they seemed to work good so i went the HF route again.
Attached Images

Youngstown, Ohio

Last edited by Running925; 01-02-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in