94 YJ Build: 3 Seat Juggy & 4 Wheel Steer - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 49185
Send a message via AIM to dzntzhellfire Send a message via Yahoo to dzntzhellfire
Do you have any close up pictures of how you redid your body mounts after the boatsides.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzntzhellfire View Post
Do you have any close up pictures of how you redid your body mounts after the boatsides.
I cut out all of the body mounts and welded the body directly to the chassis once the tubing was in. You can see on the exterior pics that the tubing at the firewall and along the side at the top of the boat side is welded to the body. I also welded the floor under the front seats to the tubing using some sheetmetal. You can see examples of that in the trans tunnel photos I posted. The body is solid on the tubing and I don't see any issues other than it not being removable from the frame at this point. Hope this helps.
dannyz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 49185
Send a message via AIM to dzntzhellfire Send a message via Yahoo to dzntzhellfire
Yes it does. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #79 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Update. I lost my old login info and didn't feel like messing with trying to revive it so I made a new login. In regards to the Jeep, I've made some progress lately and things are looking good.

Trans tunnel is complete. Added a mount for the t-case shifters that worked out pretty good. Will be easy to install/remove if needed and easy to make adjustments on the fly as well.
Boatsides are complete.
Fuel filter mount is complete.
Electrical panel mounts and ground studs are installed under the hood.
Last 4 tube gussets are made. Need to weld them in this week along with some tube caps that need to be installed.
Next up after this is paint!

Boatsides in process

Skid plate template

Boatsides complete

Last 4 tube gussets that took way too long to fit.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 07-18-2016 at 08:42 AM.
DZ Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #80 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Getting closer. I decided to add some extra bracing in the chassis and have only worked on it a couple days since my last update. Also decided to ditch my tube fender and grill hoop idea and built a stinger tied into the engine cage instead. Just need to make it removable now. I've got a couple more tubes next to the seats to add then work on some small welding details before I tear it down for paint.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 09-12-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
Awesome!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #82 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Not a lot of progress lately, but I have made some. I finished up the removable front stinger, added some small door bars to brace that section of the chassis, completed the fuel cell mount with tie down straps, and cut a hole in the top/drilled holes for the fuel pump assembly.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 10-17-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #83 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Besides that I spent 12 days in Europe on vacation, then got home and have been working on making a stand alone electric fan kit. I've got quite a few friends with Jeeps so I tried to make one that fit all of our needs for simplicity and efficiency in putting the kits together. It works for any Jeep CJ, YJ, and TJ with the 2.4, 2.5, 4.0, or 4.2 engines utilizing the Volvo fan/relay combo and is easily retrofitted if/when we make engine upgrades to LS engines. Was a fun little project that got put first in line on my priority list since one of my buddies was needing it to get his Jeep going again.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 10-17-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 7624
That's pretty cool. Gonna be selling kits or??
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #85 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83 View Post
That's pretty cool. Gonna be selling kits or??
I could. I have all the tooling to make them now (There are some custom parts and machining involved). How much interest would there be in a kit like this?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 7624
As always depends on price im sure

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #87 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
I managed to get some time to work on the Jeep a bit more this past weekend. I finished up mounting the skid plate with tabs on the topside. There are no bolt head hanging down the way that I did it, so my belly will be completely smooth. I finished out the fuel cell mount with straps, finish welded all tube caps on the chassis, and cut/welded 2 of my 4 steering arms. The tubing that I received for the steering arms was too short for the passenger side, but I should have some longer pieces late this week to finish that up. Other than that, I just need to weld a couple more braces in for the rear shocks and add hood pin mounts and I'll be ready for paint!!! It's been a long time coming.

Also, just for fun, I mounted up a tire for the first time in a long time. I think I captured the stance I was shooting for.

Proposed brace in pink

Random Shots

Old 11-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #88 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858

This is a pic I stole from the Super Duty 60 thread, but I'm planning on getting my hands on some Ouverson shafts for this thing. This pic shows 44 spline inners I believe, but mine will need to be 35 spline inners. It looks from the pic that Ouverson machined the OD of the yokes to fit through the hole in the knuckle for installation without removing it, but I'll have to confirm whether or not my assumption is correct.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 127171
I'm digging it, let's go monster truckin.

Last edited by sleepsontoilet; 11-01-2016 at 01:11 PM.
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #90 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
More pics. Finish welded everything on Saturday and tore it down to prep for paint. Took about 1 hr from start to finish on tear down. Added a couple extra braces for the rear shocks, and welded out any welds that were not accessible with it assembled. Also, I heated/bent the trans shifter to clear the dash. The pic you see is from before I bent it. The yellow lines are where I ended up putting the bends in. I need to remove the hood and windshield frame, but broke my torx bit so have to get another one to get these items taken off. Should be able to have it fully prepped this week so I can paint it next weekend.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #91 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858

Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #92 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Pics

Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #93 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858

Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #94 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 117278
94 YJ Build: 3 Seat Juggy & 4 Wheel Steer

Is that just primer or are you going for the albino look? (Axles and all...lol). Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stan o; 12-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.
stan o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #95 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan o View Post
Is that just primer or are you going for the albino look? (Axles and all...lol). Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's just the primer. I got it painted last night. The whole thing will be gloss black. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Looks sharp Danny
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #97 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ Fab View Post
Besides that I spent 12 days in Europe on vacation, then got home and have been working on making a stand alone electric fan kit. I've got quite a few friends with Jeeps so I tried to make one that fit all of our needs for simplicity and efficiency in putting the kits together. It works for any Jeep CJ, YJ, and TJ with the 2.4, 2.5, 4.0, or 4.2 engines utilizing the Volvo fan/relay combo and is easily retrofitted if/when we make engine upgrades to LS engines. Was a fun little project that got put first in line on my priority list since one of my buddies was needing it to get his Jeep going again.

I did the same thing for mine, used a 40a circuit breaker instead of a relay. Might switch it out, I think it draws current constantly. Also thinking about placing a temp switch in my circuit, it's wired to a 3 way manual switch at the moment.

What temp switch did you use? The BMW one or another? We've had problems with them melting open. Also, your 30a red hot wire looks a little small for that load, we melted a couple using the smaller 16 ga wire. Moved to 10 and 12 gauge and now we're just fine. Maybe you have a different setup though, can't tell what's in the black box.

Rig looks good, can't wait to see it done.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #98 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
I did the same thing for mine, used a 40a circuit breaker instead of a relay. Might switch it out, I think it draws current constantly. Also thinking about placing a temp switch in my circuit, it's wired to a 3 way manual switch at the moment.

What temp switch did you use? The BMW one or another? We've had problems with them melting open. Also, your 30a red hot wire looks a little small for that load, we melted a couple using the smaller 16 ga wire. Moved to 10 and 12 gauge and now we're just fine. Maybe you have a different setup though, can't tell what's in the black box.

Rig looks good, can't wait to see it done.
I used the BMW dual temp switch. The power wire for this is 4 gauge up to the fuse, which is a mega fuse (black box mentioned above), then a 10 gauge power wire to the fan from there. The Volvo fan relay assembly is powered by a 10 gauge wire from the factory, so I made sure that I used the same size wire at minimum, and no longer than what the factory originally used since the longer your wire is, the larger diameter it has to be to carry the same amount of amperage safely.

Thanks for the compliments.

Last edited by DZ Fab; 12-12-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #99 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 686858
Updated pics.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #100 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49483
Coming along nicely! I really dig the engine cage. Its amazing what you accomplish in a small garage!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in