94 YJ Build: 3 Seat Juggy & 4 Wheel Steer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 108456
94 YJ Build: 3 Seat Juggy & 4 Wheel Steer

This build started out as a Jeep that I was going to take back to stock and put some Toyota axles under. My plan was to use it as a DD every once in a while. Well, fast forward to the day I go it, and I figured out that there had been plenty of redneck fixes on this thing that would turn the build another direction. I traded an old 4 wheeler for this clean titled Jeep straight up. When I got it, it didn't run and was pretty rough around the edges. I quickly decided the only "logical" thing to do was to buggy it out. So plans changed and I started planning how far we would go with it.

This is probably my favorite build I've done so far for the fact that my dad is assisting me throughout the entire build. He has never been able to help out since he's always lived 6+ hours away until recently. It has been a great experience teaching him the tricks of the trade along the way.

Current plans/specs:
94 YJ tubed out, boat sides, dovetailed & stretched 12 inches over stock for more cargo space
Engine: Fuel injected 2.5 (Will keep this engine for this build & will eventually replace it with a 5.3)
Radiator: Volvo fan & relay combo
Transmission: SM420 Granny 4 Speed
Transfer Case: Flipped Dana 300
Driveshafts: non-cv driveshafts from Tatton driveshaft
Front Axle: 2005 & Up Super Duty Dana 60 with high steer, spool, & 5.38 gears
Rear Axle: 2005 & Up Super Duty Dana 60 with high steer, spool, & 5.38 gears
Wheels: TWF 12 Bolt H1 builder kit with rock rings and pressed centers
Tires: 47" LTBs
Shocks: ORI struts on all 4 corners
Steering: PSC full hydro 4 wheel steer kit
Suspension: 4 link front and rear
Seats: Corbeau JP seats in front and Corbeau Baja SS low back in rear
Belts: PRP 3.0 5 point harnesses in front, PRP lap belt in rear
Fuel cell: custom aluminum cell with stock YJ fuel pump setup
Wheelbase will be in the 120" range and the Jeep will be tagged and registered when complete

A couple builds/builders that gave me a lot of inspiration:
One more YJ on rocks by trailpunisher
Jim's Garage
La Bamba Gone Gangster by nodenaro
Twisted customs
Liquid Iron Industries

I'm starting with the rear first, then will move to the front. In the end, I'll have about 3' of stock frame left on each side.
On to the pics:
The day I cleaned it up and brought it in the garage

Last edited by dannyz14; 02-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
dannyz14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 108456

Making the engine repairs:

Started cutting:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 108456

Also started laying in the perimeter tubing

Old 03-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 108456
More cutting:

New tires:
Old 03-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Sitting next to my TJ:

Tube work continued:

Added a slight bend to the lower tubework to get a flat belly without lifting the body
Old 03-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108456

I ended up changing the rear corner tubes because they didn't end up matching up with the top tubes and I just didn't like the way they looked. Some of these pics are before I changed them though.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 108456
More pics to come after dinner...
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 117278
U done eating yet?........This looks interesting, and I like the fact that when you cut something off, you drag it out into the street/alley to take pics....lol
stan o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108456

New corner taking shape

Last edited by dannyz14; 03-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan o View Post
U done eating yet?........This looks interesting, and I like the fact that when you cut something off, you drag it out into the street/alley to take pics....lol
Yeah, building a Jeep in a small 2 car garage in the middle of Houston makes things a bit more interesting. Good thing is, if I ever want to get rid of something, all I have to do is move it out to the street, and 10 minutes later someone has picked it up and is on their way to the scrap yard with it.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 127171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz14 View Post
Yeah, building a Jeep in a small 2 car garage in the middle of Houston makes things a bit more interesting. Good thing is, if I ever want to get rid of something, all I have to do is move it out to the street, and 10 minutes later someone has picked it up and is on their way to the scrap yard with it.
Didn't know you where back, I was thinking you were still in CS. Definitely a cool build, let me know if you need any help cutting things off. I'm better at that than putting it back together.
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 124731
Did you just bolt your tube bender to the concrete in the alley way? Fawking awesome if so. My HOA would hang me at the community pergola if I did some shit like that. Subscribed!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim View Post
Did you just bolt your tube bender to the concrete in the alley way? Fawking awesome if so. My HOA would hang me at the community pergola if I did some shit like that. Subscribed!
Yeah, I used 5/8" threaded inserts so when the bender isn't mounted, there isn't anything sticking out of the ground. No letters from the HOA yet so I think I'm good to go lol
Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsontoilet View Post
Didn't know you where back, I was thinking you were still in CS. Definitely a cool build, let me know if you need any help cutting things off. I'm better at that than putting it back together.
Yeah, I've been in Houston for almost 2 years now. Thanks! Will do. Most of the stuff that I take off comes off with a sawzall or cutoff wheel which makes disassembly pretty quick.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Rims coming together. TWF was great to work with.

Welded

Painted

Old 03-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Mounted. I welded the rock ring with the TWF logo sitting at the same location as the valve stems. This will make it easier to locate them when airing up/down. These things look sharp. This is my first set of H1's and was by far the easiest tire install that I've ever performed with a bead lock. Definitely my new favorite rim. My TJ will likely get a set once I tear it down for a rebuild.

More or less where it will sit once the rear axle is in place.

Last edited by dannyz14; 03-31-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Picked up some Super Duty axles yesterday. All of them are 05 & up models. This should get things rolling a little quicker. Anyone thinking of using one of these axles, make sure to have a strong buddy with you when you unload them. It took everything we had to get them moved off the trailer and put on stands in my garage. I'm guessing they weighed about 700-800 lbs. each. These things are huge!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 127171
5 of them? Haha
sleepsontoilet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Started removing brackets.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 144328
Did you plasma your brackets off? Were just starting on my sons 05+ D60 trying to figure out best way to tackle it.Ive heard some say portaband works great but I dont see how thats the best option.How thick are those radius arm brackets?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.................................................. ....
Tazer15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer15 View Post
Did you plasma your brackets off? Were just starting on my sons 05+ D60 trying to figure out best way to tackle it.Ive heard some say portaband works great but I dont see how thats the best option.How thick are those radius arm brackets?
Yeah, it's a mixture of plasma cutter, angle grinder, and BFH. Pretty much everything on the passenger side can be done with the plasma. There are some welds that are nearly impossible to get to without a plasma or torch. The track bar bracket had to be cut off with a cut-off wheel at the welds. Probably could have done it with the plasma, but it would have been messy. I haven't started on the driver side yet, but I'm planning on knocking out the radius arm mount on that side with an angle grinder through the casting. Should work out pretty good. I'll get back to you on the radius arm bracket thickness.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Tonight was disappointing. I had a slight issue with one of the valve cores on my original wheel purchase from TWF. The threads were worn down upon arrival to me. I went ahead and attempted to use it, but it ended up just letting the nylock nut spin when it started getting tight and distorted the threads on the nut at the same time. I emailed Andy @ TWF and he got a replacement valve core with nut sent to me. So I go to install it tonight only to find that they forgot to send me a new nut when they shipped the replacement valve core. I was a bit pissed this time being that this is the second time I've had to wait to get my last bead lock assembled. I'll shoot Andy another email in the morning and hopefully we can get this resolved for good.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer15 View Post
Following up on your last question, the brackets appear to be 1/4".
Old 04-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 108456
Just wanted to follow up on the wheel situation. TWF came through and got me a replacement valve core/stem combo to replace the damaged one at no charge. Thanks Andy!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 108456
More progress. Haven't been able to work on it much, but I managed a couple half days over the holiday weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in