3rd Life Crisis TJ (Tons on 42's) - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Still need to measure my rear, but I figure this info might be helpful for someone at some point. Trying to figure out sprung corner weights to get the correct springs.

In the front I have a 125# tinder and 175# main, so:

(125*175)/(125+175)= 72.91666667 #'s per inch

Springs were 34.5" uncompressed and 24.5625" under the weight of the jeep:

34.5-24.5625= 9.9357" of compression

9.9357*72.91666667= 724.609375#'s

So each corner up front weighs about 725#'s

That's probably a pretty good starting front corner weight number for just about anyone with a TJ. This is the info I couldn't seem to find anywhere. I'm going to measure my rear the same way and I'll edit this post with the info.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 95086
I'm sorta up in the air as to where I'm headed short term. RBD is the weekend after thanksgiving and I'm 100% going to that. SO I need to figure out what I think I can get done before then, factoring in this stupid ass 4BT TJ build!

Here's my options.....
1- Cut the entire front 4 link off and start over with my own geometry/design (that hopefully doesn't suck like what's here)
1A- Would pretty much require a front truss and new link/shock mounts
1A-2- I have a single ended full hydro kit coming (bought used off here for cheap), but ultimately want to run a double ended ram. So it adds a wrinkle as to what I fab for?

2-Just sling this single ended hydro kit on, Adjust my lowers back out so my steering arms aren't pointed at the dirt, go wheeling, and figure the rest of this stuff out after the trip.

I'm going to try and get away from Johnny Joints even though I haven't had any problems with them yet and mine are all pretty much new. As fast as I wanna go and as hard as I want to beat on mine (want to race the 4 banger series at AOP). I figure it's time to join the 1" bolt mafia.

Also, super pumped to have gotten a lift installed last week, just need to get the turd out so I can get mine on it!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 124731
I think you need bigger heims. They wook too wittle!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 95086
As much time as the Turbo Turd is eating up I've just decided to shave down the massive misalignment spacers on my pitman heim and run RBD as is. Got the suspension adjusted back out and it doesn't lift at all on dirt and only slightly on asphalt when in 4 wheel drive and turned full lock. It's not perfect, but it's wheelable AND this way I can take my time and get everything exactly how I want it.

Now that his front axle returned from SEMA and got pulled from the WOD buggy it used to live under we were able to make some turd progress. I'm super proud of how this one is turning out!

Full Droop!

Sitting on it's own weight!

And cuz I don't wanna hijack my own thread, here's some minor progress on mine!

Rock lights, interior map lights, rear lights, and an additional light bar up front! This thing is lit up like a christmas tree!

Just took my old bent up windshield hinges and cut them up then burned out tabs on the plasma table.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:51 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 95086
OK, So RBD was sorta a bust for me. The 4BT TJ worked AWESOME and I'm pretty proud of that; however, mine performed like shit and I left pretty discouraged. Half way through the first day I knew I'd be cutting mine up again as soon as I got home. There was just no way to make the previous owners link geometry work for even a little while. Then I found a deal on a 5.3, scored a built 700r4 from a buddy that owed me some money, and lucked my way into a couple other components that all screamed "HACK THIS THING UP AND GET IT HOW YOU WANT IT ONCE AND FOR ALL"!

So here's the plan: Lower it 3.75", LS swap, 700r4, 231/300 doubler, full hydro, truss the front axle, aluminum links, and big ass 1" bolt joints. Looking for about 113" wheel base and a 22" belly height.

Not going crazy with the motor, for now the plans are: New Plugs and wires, PSC steering pump, 450amp alternator, new water pump and oil pump. Basically just some peace of mind stuff. Timing chain has no to very little play so I'm going to leave it for now. Cylinder walls still have hatching, and feels like it's making great compression when you turn it over.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Hopefully cooling won't be an issue with this large 3 pass radiator I grabbed from the fourms that previously lived on a 6.0 ultra4 car.

It's gonna be a tight fit up front. Seriously doubt I'm going to be able to get the winch behind the grill like we did on the 4BT, but that's the goal if I can make it fit.

Grabbed an F body oil pan so there's not so much hanging down in harms way!

New front frame starting to come together.

Designed my own front 60 truss. Still need to weld to the housing. Need to borrow an oxyfuel torch and some blankets from someone. Thinking about using stainless wire in the mig machine if I can't find a stick welder to do nickle.

Hopefully going to get my links measured and ordered this week. Using 2.5" 7075 lowers and 2" uppers. Hopefully they will be able to survive a beating! Only brackets left to make are lower link tabs on the axle. Then I have to figure out where I want them and get it all burned in. Would love to see this thing as a roller by the end of next week!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 726258
Just read your thread from the start, looks awesome mate ?
Guvna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 136485
I like the direction this is heading in! Love the rear frame work you did and looking forward to seeing the front done.

Is there a build thread for the Turbo Turd?
J_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Impact View Post
I like the direction this is heading in! Love the rear frame work you did and looking forward to seeing the front done.

Is there a build thread for the Turbo Turd?
Thanks a lot! No build thread on the Turd. I did put up a good many pics as I was working on Instagram (@z_d_savage) and I think he put up a good many pictures too (@z_curly).

Got a little work done this weekend, mainly focusing on the motor. Spent about 6 hours and 10 cans of various cleaners scrubbing every inch of this motor. Got the block painted. Glass Blasted the manifolds and heat shields and got them painted. Installed a new melling HP oil pump, water pump, oil pan, oil pick up, fuel pressure gauge. New seals and gaskets everywhere but the heads. Just waiting on a pulley puller so I can install the new PSC steering pump and alternator.

I'm going to attempt to see if the brand new TJ Bosch fuel pump will feed this motor. Seems like it might lack both pressure and volume. The gauge on the rail should at least tell me if I'm there on pressure.

Got the front axle positioned where it goes so I can start figuring out link lengths. It's sitting at 22" belly height and 113" wheel base.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 95086
I cut some tabs to keep the chain off the intake while lifting. I think they turned out pretty good!

Another lesson I learned on the turd. My lower tube is .188 wall rather than .120, I used 4 frame inserts rather than 2, and I added this fat gusset, all to help prevent front end sag. We corrected it on his with a tube from the shock hoop to the cage. While i may still do that, i'm hoping to not really need it! Since we never pulled his motor it was impossible to get in here to weld a gusset like this. I'm very glad with no motor, i had the room.

Got the trans bolted up only to realize we forgot the crank shaft spacer

Then got the motor positioned only to realize I can't use the stock manifolds where I want the motor. Got some Sanderson center dumps ordered from Summit I hope to have by Tuesday.

Much tighter up here than I thought it would be!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 703433
Pretty cool to see the transformation so far from the start.
Rob80x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 158281
If you're loosing too much room, skin the grill or just ditch it for a grill overlay. You'll get back like 6" of engine bay real quick!

Looks good man!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_1b View Post
If you're loosing too much room, skin the grill or just ditch it for a grill overlay. You'll get back like 6" of engine bay real quick!

Looks good man!
I really didn't want to skin the grill out, but I will if I have to. It's gonna get sorta chopped up anyway. I am going to tuck my winch back as deep as it'll go. I'm a little worried about my upper links and my radiator. Should know what I'm up against by the end of the weekend.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSavage81 View Post
I really didn't want to skin the grill out, but I will if I have to. It's gonna get sorta chopped up anyway. I am going to tuck my winch back as deep as it'll go. I'm a little worried about my upper links and my radiator. Should know what I'm up against by the end of the weekend.
You could always kick your radiator back too and save some space.....just a thought!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_1b View Post
You could always kick your radiator back too and save some space.....just a thought!
Looks like I will be tilting the radiator back a good bit if I'm going to get it to clear. That said, motor mounts are done!

Went to measure for links last night and my PS pump is right where my upper link needs to go. Spoke to Jeremy at Goat Built and he's got me a relocation kit on the way. I thought about cutting my own bracket for this but the Goat Built bracket is reasonably priced enough for me to not to waste valuable time down the stretch on an R&D project. Jeremy was very helpful and I'm looking forward to getting this kit installed.

Here's ride height, 22" belly. 118" wheel base in the pic's but i'm planning to pull 2" out of the rear and an inch out of the front to get it to 115" which is still overshooting my planned wheel base. I'm going to wheel it for a little bit and see how I like it. I've got the room to take more out of the rear if I need to.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Looks good and looks like you got a solid plan for it! I'll be watching as you move forward for sure.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 684754
very nice! sub'd
RMKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 95086
I'm going to start a CJ build after I finish my jeep for a guy who owns a machine shop. He's practicing for his 7075 links by cutting mine!!!

Straight BEEF!

Working on my full hydro ram mount

Here's my transmission cross-member. It's 3/16" wall 1x2, everything is mounted above the frame rails so I'll be able to do a totally separate flat belly skid. How everything was attached directly to my previous skid made it a bitch to drop the skid. This should be easier, stronger, and make me less nervous about hitting hard on the belly (my old skid has some nice bends in it!).

Nothing super special here, but some people seem like to see my oven to table process. Here's the first lower link brackets I drew up for the axle. Ended up redrawing them to nip the corner where it would hit my truss.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Links tacked up, checking for clearances!!

So after I got the links tacked up and flexed it out, I realized I had a problem.....no room for a 2.5" shock and shitty turning radius at full stuff. The turds frame is 3.25" narrower than mine because I was trying to leave my grill intact and he'd already gutted his (mine will now also be gutted, ugh). He also has 2.0 shocks and his axle is wider than mine so that helped too. SO, I'm going to run a wheel spacer, and cut some nifty notches into the pretty tube frame I'd just completed.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Full Bump

Going to have to pop the shock hoops through the hood.

Flexed out!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Started capping the frame notches and added in the rest of my X's

Orbital mounted!

Battery box mounted, I'm running dual yellow tops with a painless dual battery isolater.

Just barely couldn't make the PWR radiator work so I picked up a Griffen and some new fans. The PWR is for sale $385 plus shipping for the radiator with fans and shroud (18"x31" 3 pass, was on a 6.0 u4 car).

Scored some cutting brakes from Dave's Offroad Supply! Other goodies are from amazon, goat built, and bow-tie customs.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Looking good man! You know how many HP that U4 car was pulling on your "old" rad? Might be interested.......

PM me if you'd like with all the specs please!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 95086
I made some progress last night!

Started trimming the hood to clear the shock hoops, and got the grill mounted.

Goat Built PS relocation brackets installed. Brackets fit great, solid design, got the pump up out of the way for the upper link mounts. Very pleased with this purchase! That said, I didn't leave myself very much room for the pulley. Going to have to find myself a 4" pulley if that's even possible or I'm going to be backing up and punting AGAIN.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Called PSC today to talk about running a smaller pulley and was told anything smaller than stock size would blow up the pump. Then I called Jeremy at Goat Built back to see about switching to their other bracket that puts the PS pump where the alternator is and moves the alternator to the passenger side. Let me tell you, Goat Built (specifically Jeremy) has bad ass customer service. Not only did he get me hooked up with the right parts and is shipping them asap, he's letting me return the other set knowing they were opened and installed. I very much appreciate when a company will work with you like that, props to Goat Built!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Got my power steering cooler mount done.

finished capping rails, I sorta wish I'd cut both sides on an angle. Not sure now what my logic even was for not doing it that way, but it's all good!

I cut these little tabs that run down my frame rail every 12-14". They will carry fuel line, return line, brake line, and electrical.

A new special friend gave me these for my birthday, thinking she might be a keeper!

Motor is in for (hopefully) the last time!

Started messing with gauges on my ipad using Dashcommand. Took the ipad to get the screen replaced. Now looking for a cheap otterbox or lifeproof case to throw on it. The OBD2 port adapter i bought will work with ios or andriod so when i get around to doing a custom dash i'll buy based on size and price and mold whatever i get into the dash.

also picked up 2 mechanical gauges for things the ecm isn't tracking.

Supposed to be leaving for Harlan in 10 days and it's snowing there right now according to the weather channel.......SO a top and heat are not optional equipment. Gonna push for a windshield too.

Here i've started on the windshield channel for the soft top.

Oh, and these showed up!!!! got fucked on $300 worth of shipping. I tried arguing but was basically told pay the shipping or fuck off.

Hey Hitman.......you get my PM?

Last edited by ZSavage81; 01-30-2017 at 08:55 AM.
ZSavage81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in