Harness bar height for kids? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Harness bar height for kids?

I can't find any specs or recommendations on harness positioning for the rear seat for my kids, I imagine for good reason. Just simply looking for someone to point me in a general direction or advise on what you've done...

The PRP harnesses I plan to run advise maximum of 0* for shoulder harness back to the harness bar with -10* being ideal, but with two growing weeds this is likely to be ever changing.

With no head rest on the rear bench I was planning to retain the kids booster seats with back rests for as long as they can fit in them, and when they outgrow them I obviously want to keep the harness bar back far enough that they won't hit their heads on it. The harness bar is about perfect for me at 5'10", at about 0*, but it's +15* on my daughter in the below pic... I don't plan on carrying adults often, but would like to have the option. It wouldn't be comfortable for any average adult for very long.

I've been doing lots of research on this and found a few threads here:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ling-kids.html
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ck-safety.html
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...who-right.html

but none really answer the question...

All of the harness manufacturers provided detailed instructions including PRP & Simpson, but my question is to the point of growing kids, if I mount the bar level with the shoulder height of my tallest child then it will be above shoulder height for my son, and they're both growing at almost 2" a year! So at minimum I'd have to adjust the bar again in 2 years if not sooner. What would you do?

Thoughts? Guidance? TIA!

Last edited by Torque; 07-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Torque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 135583
Im curious about the same thing. Im doing the same thing at this moment. My plan was to build it about level with the top of the seat for now. Its gonna be just a tad high right now but It'll probably be the right height when the build is done. Also once its too low for him i'll remove the booster and it should fit again. Heres where I'm at.

He'll be sitting in this booster seat though

92vegasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
What about these? Adjust it up and down as needed.

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1469056355.803665.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  41.2 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
What about these? Adjust it up and down as needed.

Attachment 2333113

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That was my thought... Only challenge is if I run the bar straight between the c-pillars it wouldn't be removable once the cage is welded solid and would only slide if the bars are perfectly parallel... I might use some 1.25"tube and bend it to intersect the c-pillar at a slight angle so I can use those clamps. I like the idea of adjustability and being able to completely remove it.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92vegasYJ View Post
Im curious about the same thing. Im doing the same thing at this moment. My plan was to build it about level with the top of the seat for now. Its gonna be just a tad high right now but It'll probably be the right height when the build is done. Also once its too low for him i'll remove the booster and it should fit again. Heres where I'm at.

He'll be sitting in this booster seat though

That's a good looking seat, I like the higher back. The stock fold and tumble is pretty short. Are those 3" harnesses? I picked up the PRP 4.2 initially thinking the 2" strap would be more comfortable for the kids and I'll run 4.3s up-front for the adults....
Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
That was my thought... Only challenge is if I run the bar straight between the c-pillars it wouldn't be removable once the cage is welded solid and would only slide if the bars are perfectly parallel... I might use some 1.25"tube and bend it to intersect the c-pillar at a slight angle so I can use those clamps. I like the idea of adjustability and being able to completely remove it.
My thinking would be every time you adjust it up you might need to cut it shorter if your c pillars run in. It would be a 20 min fix every time you adjusted it up. Interested to see what you do because I ha ent built my cage yet and I'll to do something similar.
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
My thinking would be every time you adjust it up you might need to cut it shorter if your c pillars run in. It would be a 20 min fix every time you adjusted it up. Interested to see what you do because I ha ent built my cage yet and I'll to do something similar.
My C-pillar tapers by about 1", so I'd have to do something like that, except it's narrowest at the bottom, so as I move the bar up it would need to get longer. I might just build 2 different bars, one for the kids and one for average adult height, but those tube clamps are expensive... in the interest of time and money I may just weld it in at the right height and then I can cut it out and build something more modular when I need to adjust it in the future.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 135583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
That's a good looking seat, I like the higher back. The stock fold and tumble is pretty short. Are those 3" harnesses? I picked up the PRP 4.2 initially thinking the 2" strap would be more comfortable for the kids and I'll run 4.3s up-front for the adults....
They are the 4.2 harnesses. I plan on running the 5.3x2 harnesses up front.
92vegasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Oh maybe a dumb idea.

What's the possibility of making the seat mounts tall and cutting them down each time a kid grows an inch and just drilling another hole for the tabs? As long as it's strong really doesn't matter what it looks like under the seat.
erictylers1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
Oh maybe a dumb idea.

What's the possibility of making the seat mounts tall and cutting them down each time a kid grows an inch and just drilling another hole for the tabs? As long as it's strong really doesn't matter what it looks like under the seat.

That would at least provide ample under seat storage in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 06:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Here's Johnny!

Member # 12867
Run a bar between the C pillars for an adult height. Then use the clamps RANGERROD posted up with a small hoop between two clamped to that bar for the kids. Will allow you to rotate it up and down as needed for growth. If you set them level with the first bar then it'll fit an adult. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've found the 2" harness seems to work for my kids better. I should have bought one with a built in pad though. Also I wouldn't run without a sub belt. Helps position the lap belt and keep it where it should be. I set the seat up so that the shoulder harness was at or above their shoulder. Right now I swap in a single seat in place of the fat boy PRP up front with me and just take one kid wheeling at a time.

I'd rather have the shoulder harness be a little to high and allow room for growth than be to low. Granted all this is for a PRP preemie and pre-teen vs. bench seat. Should still apply.

Last edited by frostytj; 07-22-2016 at 06:08 AM.
frostytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 45089
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostytj View Post
Run a bar between the C pillars for an adult height. Then use the clamps RANGERROD posted up with a small hoop between two clamped to that bar for the kids. Will allow you to rotate it up and down as needed for growth. If you set them level with the first bar then it'll fit an adult. Hopefully that makes sense.

I've found the 2" harness seems to work for my kids better. I should have bought one with a built in pad though. Also I wouldn't run without a sub belt. Helps position the lap belt and keep it where it should be. I set the seat up so that the shoulder harness was at or above their shoulder. Right now I swap in a single seat in place of the fat boy PRP up front with me and just take one kid wheeling at a time.

I'd rather have the shoulder harness be a little to high and allow room for growth than be to low. Granted all this is for a PRP preemie and pre-teen vs. bench seat. Should still apply.
That's a great idea! Might be the way to go! Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in