Project Crapmando 1967 Jeepster Commando - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #126 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
More pictures of the flat bed and some of the van.
Attached Images

cj8_mustang_68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #127 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Talking

Well, I finally graduated, got a job at DC Custom Fab LLC, and moved my whole life to my new job in Wenatchee Washington. My wife and I loaded all of our household possessions into the front quarter of the trailer. My dear wife graciously allowed me to take up the majority of the trailer with all of my shop stuff, the Crapmando, tires, and my tool box. I had to put pizza cutters on the Crapmando in order to fit it in the trailer. I think I've found my new daily tire size....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 153061
congrats on the graduation and the new job- looking forward to more awesome updates. i might have already said it but man that van is so rad.
byron4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #129 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron4 View Post
congrats on the graduation and the new job- looking forward to more awesome updates. i might have already said it but man that van is so rad.
Thanks! The van ended up taking it's maiden voyage about 300 miles and ran flawlessly. There will be more done on it later when the owner has time and money to bring it to my new work place. 35's and everything painted made the van look really slick.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #130 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Sorry for no updates in a while. Until the shop gets completely finished I wont be doing much fab work. We are figuring out exactly how we want the shop to be layed out for the most effecient work area. Right now we have 4 rigs in the shop, including the Crapmando. When I got up here I unloaded the Commando and couldnt stand the 31's so I had to put the 42's back on. Changed the rears first to see what it would look like as a hot rod. Not digging it... I love the way the Commando looks from the second story. Just an interesting angle I dont normally see of the rig. Swapped to a LS1 intake for more room and will be going with 05-08 Corvette water pump and crank pulley to shorten up the front of the engine. I also thought I had the exhaust figured out, but after reevaluating, I wouldn't have any room for rock sliders. So now the drivers side header is going up and over the engine and tying into the passenger header. So now the above exhaust configuration is completely useless.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #131 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
I decided to change the headers again. I didn't like how the exhuast was going to fit under the rocker panels, it didn't leave enough room for rock sliders. So instead I am going to put them up and over the engine, and doing 180 degree headers. Also got some new billet fuel rails. Since I went with the LS1 intake, I had to change the water pump and while I was at it, I decided to use a Corvette water pump and crank pulley which saved me another 1.5" in front of the engine, making the engine sit about 2" behind the rear of the front axle.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #132 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Finally had some time to work a little more on the Commando. Built one of the two shook hoop braces and cut even more body off. Made the wheel wells the final shape and cut out the floor for where the swaybar used to come through the floor.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #133 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Also developed a V8 emblem that looks factory for those of you guys with CJ5's and Commando's that are V8 swapped.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #134 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Finally got to build the headers. Realized they were gonna be super close to the engine so I cut the firewall higher and made a heat shield mock up to go over the intake. Mocked up the passenger side header with the IC Engine works header builder kit. Also mounted a booster/master cylinder that Iíve had sitting around for a while, only to realize it wonít work cause I got the drum/disc one, guess I will just spring for the wilwoods that I want anyways...
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2018, 02:51 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 456402
Looks good, and on the plus side you definitely wont need a heater
Tacedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #136 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
I decided to change the shock hoop brace to a plate style and also decided to change the shock hoops themselves. Didnít like quite how they were looking. But before I cut them off tomorrow, I messed around with some design ideas for how to brace the shock tabs.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #137 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Sub'd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #138 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 856318
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Sub'd
X2

Owner of Aired Down Syndicate
@adsoffroad on Instagram
Alpine_CJ5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 01:45 AM   #139 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Got the hoops cut off and frame cleaned up. Hopefully gonna bend up the new hoops tomorrow. Also patched the hole for the brake booster. Iím going with wilwoods. I also set up the headers for tacking up the passenger side and then TIG them out.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 200904
Loved my 72 commando, the one I never should have sold!!
Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #141 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Worked on the passenger header tonight. Got it all tacked up. Need to get the collectors on and the v-bands then TIG them out! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in this header escapade...
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #142 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
I kind of like the bracing you came up with on the old shock hoops! .. Headers turned out great, keep the updates coming.
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #143 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Cut the headers to equal lengths and tacked the lower two collectors on. Also started on one of the down pipes. Didnít want to go too far cause I was waiting for some v-band clamps. They were delivered by the time I got home from work so I should be able to get those on soon.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #144 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 236179
You're at the point where you could turn those into 180* headers and make it sound wicked. Runs good that way too.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #145 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
You're at the point where you could turn those into 180* headers and make it sound wicked. Runs good that way too.
It will be 270 degree headers. In order to have true 4-1, the packaging was gonna be super difficult and removing them without taking the body off was going to be impossible. I was definitely going for 180 to start. Should still sound wicked and it will gain some hp also.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #146 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
I was looking at my headers and somehow managed to flip cylinders 6 and 8 tubes so I had to rework things. Took a couple hours and turned out pretty nice. The collectors will be pretty interesting. Also decided while the engine is out to build an engine cradle and make sure everything is super square before I build off of it. I also high lined the hood even further in preparation for fenders eventually. And introducing Bennett, my new shop pal.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #147 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
I was looking at how the liftgate lined up with the tailgate and hated how it didn't line up with the body very well, so I used pretty much every clamp in the shop as well as a ratchet strap to make sure the hard top lined up perfectly with the body. Once the top was lined up with the body, the tailgate came into position just fine. Now that it's all clamped perfectly, I'll drill new bolt holes between the two to keep it in position. The shop is an absolute mess since we are wiring it all and setting it up for business so the Crapmando (as well as every other flat surface has turned into a storage area for random parts and pieces.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #148 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
I've been slowly accumulating alot of different parts. I decided I wasn't really happy with how the tailgate used to latch, so I'm going to retro fit a first gen Bronco tailgate latch onto the outside. I also got some more parts for the exhaust that should get it back behind the tcase, before the mufflers. Somewhere along the line I got a great idea that my wife surprisingly agreed with. I'm getting rid of the junkyard axles and going with Trailgear Rock Assault Nine housings, Wilwood 6 piston calipers and vented rotors, and I'm going to fab my own knuckles. Hopefully I can get the axles ordered soon.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #149 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Finally got the axles ordered and they showed up within 4 business days. I was pretty stoked with the turnaround time and when they showed up I was very impressed with their packaging. They had all of the axles (my boss and some customers also ordered a couple) on a pallet and then cyran wrapped all together. None of the packaging was damaged and when I opened the boxes, all the axles were suspended inside to avoid getting jostled. To say they look sick is an understatement. The craftsmanship on these is amazing.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #150 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
So. I cut the Artec truss apart and didnít like how it looked so I abandoned it. Donít even have any pictures of what it looked like I disliked it that much. So I started measuring everything up to make my own. Figured out the profile of the Rock Assault 9 and made up a little stand to keep the axle level at all times. Finally got around to gusseting the pan hard mount also.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in