Project Crapmando 1967 Jeepster Commando - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #176 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
My wife picked up my mock-up third member while she was in my home town and of course I couldnít wait to put it in to see it closer to finished.
Attached Images

cj8_mustang_68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #177 (permalink)
GiS

Member # 31285
Moving right along now! Rear axle turned out great .. can you remind me again the wms-wms width?

What are the tabs for on the lower control arm, limit strap or are those just mock-up/junk arms you had laying around?
Rock Posse Racing #686
Driver: Joey Weber
GiS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #178 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiS View Post
Moving right along now! Rear axle turned out great .. can you remind me again the wms-wms width?

What are the tabs for on the lower control arm, limit strap or are those just mock-up/junk arms you had laying around?
Thanks! Axle isnít quite done. Still need to continue the truss on the top outside of the links to the bump stop pads as soon as I get my bumps here. WMS is 68Ē I may run a spacer depending on wheel depth to clear the body at full flex but thatís TBD. Tabs on the lower links were my original sway bar end link lower mounts as I couldnít get them to mount on the axle tube due to clearance issues with the coilover/tire at full flex. Now that I changed axles and could put the lower links out further I was able to integrate the end link mount into the coilover/bypass mount. The sway bar will now get moved back further so the angle isnít so extreme for the end link.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #179 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Got the new sway bar arms cut out and the rocker panel box in pieces cut after work today. Had to sacrifice some Currie antirock swaybar arms for the splines.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #180 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Got the bypasses and bump stops today. Just need to redo the lower coilover/bypass mounts and build the bump stop mounts and pads and the rear axle will be pretty close to done!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 857156
That sway bar link looks to have to much of a angle. Will be worse on full droop.
LS commando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #182 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj8_mustang_68 View Post
Thanks! Axle isnít quite done. Still need to continue the truss on the top outside of the links to the bump stop pads as soon as I get my bumps here. WMS is 68Ē I may run a spacer depending on wheel depth to clear the body at full flex but thatís TBD. Tabs on the lower links were my original sway bar end link lower mounts as I couldnít get them to mount on the axle tube due to clearance issues with the coilover/tire at full flex. Now that I changed axles and could put the lower links out further I was able to integrate the end link mount into the coilover/bypass mount. The sway bar will now get moved back further so the angle isnít so extreme for the end link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS commando View Post
That sway bar link looks to have to much of a angle. Will be worse on full droop.
Yeah. I plan on moving it back further now that Iíve changed axles and mount tabs around Iím able to fit it mounted off the axle better. On full droop it actually gets slightly better because of the axle swing forward. But still not great
Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 857156
At 50% of the travel the bar should be level with the ground. So if you have a lot of droop the bar should be pointed up word some.
LS commando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #184 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS commando View Post
At 50% of the travel the bar should be level with the ground. So if you have a lot of droop the bar should be pointed up word some.
Yep. Iím aware. Thatís why it was pointed up at full bump in the old location. At half travel it was perfectly flat.

On another note though, I reworked the rear lower shock mounts and figured out exactly what Iíll be aiming for as soon as I can order some shorter eyelets for the bypass shocks. I wanna keep the rig as low possible without having the shock mounts become anchors underneath. Also got the old swaybar location cut off and will be fabbing up a new one as well as getting the new arms built tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #185 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Didnít get much done today. Somehow came down with a sore throat over night and I feel horrid. Got the driver side rocker boxed in and cleaned up some other spots on the body that need to be welded. All in all a rather unsuccessful day.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #186 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Havenít posted in quite a while. Been busy at work and have only been able to get a little done after work sometimes. Here are some random pics of the progress. Header welding, all the steel for the knuckles and bump stop cans, turning the outer knuckles, the bump stop cans.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #187 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 381362
Got the brake hats from Spidertrax. The lug holes are for .625” lugs and the Trail Gear Unit bearing hubs are .5” studs. So I turned up some spacers to make up the difference. Got the new fill bungs for both axles. Also got a pinion/third member skid for the rear axle from Currie. Only complaint I have is the inside of the skid wasn’t zinc coated very well so it’s rusty, and one of the bend lines has a hairline crack in it. I’m going to be sending pictures to them so they’re aware. I can fix the problems, just a little disappointing for the price it was.
Attached Images

Last edited by cj8_mustang_68; 11-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in