YJ 4 link help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 707626
Cool YJ 4 link help

looking for some insight and suggestions on my winter build
i have a 95 YJ currently running 35's d44/ 14b , sbc and th400/205

jeep needs some tlc, im tired of the dog old sbc and the last owners junk welds. i have a fully built and studded ls1 that i am putting in this winter, i have also decided to just pull the body and start over.
i am planning to 4 link, stretch rear, armour, blast the frame and check for rust etc, I am a good welder and this is my 3rd yj, i have build alot of custom stuff, However i have never done a 4 link
i was considering XJ rear spring/stretch but dont want to mess with axle wrapping. I am looking for some insight and suggestions on suspension setup. i Dont understand the benifit of triangulated 3 link or 4 link vs regular 4 link.
ive been looking at blue torch fab kits and MOTO built kits and i understand they get expensive,
i want something i can do myself and still remain streetable. just crusing around town and 1 hr trips here and there, but still be able to wheel on the weekends. i am tired of the junky leaf spring ride and ready to turn this jeep into my dream.
looking to run 38's or 42's, understanding ill need a d60 front upgrade. coil springs or coilovers?

i appreciate the advice in advance---Dustin

Last edited by yjownzme; 10-12-2016 at 10:00 AM.
yjownzme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 117278
Search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stan o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 136860
Lots of information out there on pros/cons of each with 3 or 4 links. The motobilt kit is expensive but I'll tell you from experience that you'd spend a lot of time and money building your own link kit as well, especially in front. Not saying it is 100% worth the $$$, but likely faster and less fab time. Much of that depends on fab level and skill obviously. Time is also a major deal for most of us as well. I'm sure Dan makes a fine kit and it's probably well worth the cash if the above is a concern (fab skills, time, tools, etc.). Much of the geometry is some what figured out. I did a 4 link in my yj front. It was a pain but hopefully worth it. Usually your driveshaft side is the ordeal with link/driveshaft clearance. May wanna run small links up top. Just my 2 cents. I'm not as expert as many of the guys on here. Good luck.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 707626
thanks! i love the look of the motobuilt kit, but its literally just the bracket in the center of the frame and its very pricey.
just kind of hoping to hear from someone who has a linked streetable setup. ive been looking online and everyone seems to complain about other setups.
one setup has alot of bumpsteer and one does not. just looking for some first hand experience
Old 10-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
I choose to do the motobilt kit simply because it saved me a ton of time, money and trial and error.

To me it was worth the added expense. Plus the fit and quality of their work is unbelievable
Old 10-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
O and an added plus, if your planning on running a steering box, The Motobilt kit can be made into a 3 link front and 4 link rear.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 136860
I agree. Unless, you do a lot of 3 or 4 link front set-ups then the time involved to get it right maybe b worth the money. We built my 4 link front and flexed it out and it just did not function well the first time. Cut the tacks and re thought it all and second time it worked out. There are always limitations with every build so gotta find your happy ground.
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 707626
Thankyou ! Thats what i was searching for. A little hands on experience. I am keeping the steering box and it will be streetable. I have no problem spending the extra money if it will be right the first time.

My next decision needs to be coil spring or coilovers. Again. This will be streeted and wheeled. Doesnt need to be a flex monster or anything insane. Just ride and flex better than the heavy leafs that are on it now. I dont even know how you going about picking which coil spring to buy if i go that route...
Old 10-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 43260
Wide open design chassis would take care of everything you are wanting and more.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 707626
I could call and talk to them and see if they could help me pick a parts list for my build, definitely do not have the funds to purchase A frame or complete kit that they sell
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 125646
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjownzme View Post
thanks! i love the look of the motobuilt kit, but its literally just the bracket in the center of the frame and its very pricey.
just kind of hoping to hear from someone who has a linked streetable setup. ive been looking online and everyone seems to complain about other setups.
one setup has alot of bumpsteer and one does not. just looking for some first hand experience
Its a lot more than a "bracket" on the frame. Its many hours of engineering to get proper suspension geometry right out of the gate and fits very large parts into a small space (1.25 heims etc) while providing no snagging points below. It also locates itself in the jeep for the home builder (like you). It should be right up your alley. On the surface it may look pricey but when your ear deep in piece meal brackets and tape measurements you will see it's a good value and will work the first time. The other way is very expensive to learn it doesn't work. I have the first one made on my jeep and it works really well getting the most out of my suspension. No ragrets!
usethis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 707626
i very much appreciate the help everyone. i am planning to order the motobuilt kit this week and start my yj tear down hopefully by the end of the month. sandblast my frame and check for rust and proceed from there. this is going to be a expensive process, but i will be very happy at the end because it is a older jeep. building this is cooler to me than spending 30k on a new one. i will be posting more as i go and i will deffinatly need help on tire size decisions and spring choices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in