Eliminator LJ Build - 112" Stretch, 40" MT/R's, Tera CRD 60's - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 165670
That escalated quickly! Great progress, you work fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rokk99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #52 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_T View Post
Thanks. A stretched body on a CJ would be killer. Do you have a build thread for it? I'd like to watch your progress.

It's a bit hard to tell at this stage because it's raised way up on the pipe stands, but i can get you an estimate. Looking at the rear (factoring a half inch clearance between the underside of the body and the upper axle links at bump) it has around 5.75" of uptravel with a 23.5" height from bottom of frame rails to ground. I'll get you a final number once it's rolling on its own feet. Let me know how this stacks up in your opinion? To maintain the same up travel numbers I'd have to start cutting into the floor to get it any lower. And this would require a number of other changes up front.

I appreciate you reaffirming this decision. Big shocks are cool, but the added oil volume is only useable if the frame and the other components are capable of tolerating higher speeds over the rough stuff. My plan is to tie the cage into the frame and potentially tie the front shock hoops into the cage as well down the road.

Thanks. I would definitely recommend steering box relocation. It eliminates so many of the uptravel problems associated with swapping to larger axles and gaining wheelbase.

Just started it, I'll get more pics tonight to where I'm at...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #53 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Great build, glad to see someone cutting off frame of a LJ Should be an awesome combo with that wheelbase and 40s.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 24895
Quote:
Thanks. A stretched body on a CJ would be killer. Do you have a build thread for it? I'd like to watch your progress.

It's a bit hard to tell at this stage because it's raised way up on the pipe stands, but i can get you an estimate. Looking at the rear (factoring a half inch clearance between the underside of the body and the upper axle links at bump) it has around 5.75" of uptravel with a 23.5" height from bottom of frame rails to ground. I'll get you a final number once it's rolling on its own feet. Let me know how this stacks up in your opinion? To maintain the same up travel numbers I'd have to start cutting into the floor to get it any lower. And this would require a number of other changes up front.

I'm having issues with fitting my steering box right now. I'm running high steer, so your setup isn't going to work for me. Space is tight. I'm currently 25" from bottom of frame and 76" top of windshield with 39's. YJ frame and tubs with CJ front clip. I had to put my rear coilovers through the tub, which will be covered by sheetmetal (I have kids).
I'm running 2.0 coilovers, so I was able to keep the stock frame...barely. My rear uptravel is 6.75", and I'm attempting to get 6" up front. This isn't a LCOG build, but I'm trying to squeeze as much uptravel while fitting in a garage.
Keep up the progress. You're making me think about starting a build thread, but I don't want to deal with the bullshit from web wheelers.
b0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 72380

I really like the nesting program you used for cutting out multiple pieces of steel! Keep up the great fab work
Old 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
Sweet build man, and I don't want to hijack your build thread, but if you find yourself wanting to throw on some stretched corner guards, I have a set of Genright LJ Stretched Corner Guards (Steel) that I've never used and are still in the original packaging. If you are interested, PM me and I'll give a good deal to let them go to a good home if they get used. Hijack over.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm going to pass. I'm on a budget for this project and right now making my existing armor work is what I have to do. My brother is building a CNC plasma table right now, so when it's finished I'll burn out some shapes to fill in the cutouts on the armor to match the new wheelbase.
Uncle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokk99 View Post
That escalated quickly! Great progress, you work fast.

Indeed it did! Actually the back half was over a period of a few weeks, I just can't seem to keep up with the photos and uploads to this thread. To your credit I could have used the stock frame and lived with rubbing, but it was a good opportunity to take the build one step further. Plus, I want to hit the longer wheelbase in the end.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Great build, glad to see someone cutting off frame of a LJ Should be an awesome combo with that wheelbase and 40s.
GTXracer in the house! Hey I can't tell you how many times I referenced your Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups Thread. That is a truly awesome resource for the Pirate community. Thanks for your time and effort putting that together.

Glad you like the build. It's not often people cut an LJ frame in half, but I was looking for a way to make this build a little more unique.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mb View Post
I'm having issues with fitting my steering box right now. I'm running high steer, so your setup isn't going to work for me. Space is tight. I'm currently 25" from bottom of frame and 76" top of windshield with 39's. YJ frame and tubs with CJ front clip. I had to put my rear coilovers through the tub, which will be covered by sheetmetal (I have kids).
I'm running 2.0 coilovers, so I was able to keep the stock frame...barely. My rear uptravel is 6.75", and I'm attempting to get 6" up front. This isn't a LCOG build, but I'm trying to squeeze as much uptravel while fitting in a garage.
Keep up the progress. You're making me think about starting a build thread, but I don't want to deal with the bullshit from web wheelers.
It sounds like our numbers are pretty similar (comparing up travel vs frame height) depending on where the shocks are set at ride height. In the rear for example, if you were to drop the uptavel by an inch then our frame heights would be more comparable (in the 23.5" range). In the rear I don't think much more uptravel can be achieved using a stock jeep tub without cutting into the underside of the body.

Regarding your comment about wanting to start a thread, my personal opinion is not to worry about bullshit from web wheelers. We're all trying to improve our game here, and odds are there's someone else facing similar build situations as you who could benefit from what you've learned along the way. If someones delivery is sub-par, laugh it off. Most guys who truly know their stuff won't burn you because at one time or another we were all there.

Last edited by Uncle_T; 04-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85stanky View Post
I really like the nesting program you used for cutting out multiple pieces of steel! Keep up the great fab work
Nothing beats the simplicity of cardboard and a sharpie!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Using the floor jack and a block of wood, I made final adjustments to the frame to make sure everything was level. Then started hard tacking more of the plates. Also using a motorcycle stand borrowed from my brother I was able to hoist up the gas tank to double check the fitment and room for the rear axle.

Here’s a shot of what’s left of the old frame on the driveway:

Moving back to the lower link crossmember, now with the back half in place and the gas tank situated I made a few adjustments to the link crossmember and finish welded it together.

You can see my welds aren’t the prettiest. But they haven’t broken on me yet.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 477561
I marked and removed more from the corners so the larger tires would fit in the fenderwells.

Once final wheelbase is set I plan to cut some steel to fill in the wheel openings so they will be even.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 477561
This is starting to really come together now. With the back half in place, I moved onto welding it together.

Frame welded. I chose to place the coilover reservoirs on the crossbar that runs up to the B Pillar for more of a race vehicle look.

Next I began adding the additional lower tube from the B to the C pillar. This is where I will tie the shock mounts into the frame.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
GTXracer in the house! Hey I can't tell you how many times I referenced your Ultimate Wrangler Build Ups Thread. That is a truly awesome resource for the Pirate community. Thanks for your time and effort putting that together.

Glad you like the build. It's not often people cut an LJ frame in half, but I was looking for a way to make this build a little more unique.
Great to hear it helped out! I should probably update it once again, but there's always so many builds to add

Build is looking good, keep at it.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #65 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
With my recent decision to raise the fuel tank a bit on mine, I probably should have back halved it too, I like that kit

Old 05-06-2017, 07:11 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 523577
Subbed. I'm pretty much doing the same thing on my '05 LJ less the back half. Nice work!
SEBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #67 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 70340
Looking good... I've already moved the gas tank to the back as in all TJ's. I'm debating wether doing the back half or not...

WTB:
* LSX/6L80 complete takeout
* Complete DE Hydro steering system
* Millermatic Multiprocess or 255 MIG
* Tuffy Overhead Console
* Bump Stops

Last edited by Jorge Meza; 05-06-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 185763
My LJ is also 112" and on 40'S. It's amazing what the extra WB can do for the LJ. I'm going to sticky's and swapping my rear RJ 60 for a 14-bolt. You will have a big smile on your face after your first run.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 70340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
My LJ is also 112" and on 40'S. It's amazing what the extra WB can do for the LJ. I'm going to sticky's and swapping my rear RJ 60 for a 14-bolt. You will have a big smile on your face after your first run.
Out of curious... why going from a RJ60 to 14 bolt? I went 14 bolt but sometimes I wonder if a 60 would be a better option for lower gears...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

WTB:
* LSX/6L80 complete takeout
* Complete DE Hydro steering system
* Millermatic Multiprocess or 255 MIG
* Tuffy Overhead Console
* Bump Stops
Jorge Meza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 185763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Meza View Post
Out of curious... why going from a RJ60 to 14 bolt? I went 14 bolt but sometimes I wonder if a 60 would be a better option for lower gears...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
I had a guy that was interested in my HP RJ60 to replace his D44. I bought a set of near new KRT's and was concerned about how the HP 60 would handle a 39" sticky if I were to come down on a ledge with power and the tires grabbed like I hope they will. The RJ60 is semi-float and a friend had twisted splines on his semi HP60 with 40" non sticky's, so for less than two grand difference, a shaved built 14 bolt with bigger disc brakes seemed the way to go. I'll be running 538 gears.

Last edited by Venturer; 05-07-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Really nice build! I feel your pain on trying to figure out the front stretch, hi-steer and making everything it. I ended up stretching the front of mine 6" forward, using the frame horns from Brave Motorsports. Build details here:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...etch-more.html

I'm really interested in what you did in the back. My plan is to run 2.5" coilovers in the back as well, and I have been going back and forth on putting a tank in the bed or leaving it under the tub. I already have the Blue Torch Fab tank under the back, so I have lots of room to stretch the wheelbase back, but as you found out, the 2.5's are not going to fit with a stock width frame. So it's either ditch that tank and go to a fuel cell in the bed or do like you did and narrow a section of the frame.

It looks like you had some pre-made pieces to join the various pieces of straight tubing. Was this something you designed & fabbed or is it something that's commercially available?
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 24895
How's the progress coming?
b0mb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 97823
Back-half kit and steering box

Subbed. I am in the process of gathering parts and researching putting 1 tons under my LJ, too.

Is that back-half kit from Brian at 4x4Outlet?

Also, did you stay with the stock Merc. box with the TNT front stretch kit?

Thanks.

Last edited by DougB; 06-13-2017 at 11:42 AM.
DougB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Welp, almost two years later and it’s time to pick back up on this build! Time for a thread revival!

You know how life goes… things get busy… sold my business, sold my house, moved to a new state and had a baby. During this time I was able to complete most of the build. I took pics of the progress and thought it would be worth posting the rest of the build in case someone finds use from the information or inspiration for their project.

The pics below were prior to doing the back half on the frame. I was testing where the fenders would need to be relocated.

After the back half was complete it was clear more trimming would be needed to accommodate the stretch.

Marked the corner guards, ready for cutting.

Started cutting.

I must have gone into a trance while cutting. Looked down and my clothes were on fire.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 477561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboyboone View Post
With my recent decision to raise the fuel tank a bit on mine, I probably should have back halved it too, I like that kit

Thanks. Did you end up ever back halfing your rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBrewer View Post
Subbed. I'm pretty much doing the same thing on my '05 LJ less the back half. Nice work!
I appreciate the compliment. I'll have to check out your build once I get caught up loading pics and progress over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Meza View Post
Looking good... I've already moved the gas tank to the back as in all TJ's. I'm debating wether doing the back half or not...
Only two years late on a response back to you Did you end up sticking with the original frame or did you decide to back half your rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Nice! I don't want to spoil the surprise too early before getting caught up on this thread, but 112" ended up working out better than I could have imagined. More progress to come.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in