Project "INFIDEL" build thread - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #26 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Looking good bro.

You are making some real good progress.

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 04:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
got so spend a little more time on the Jeep today. the tailgate is about 90% installed and the fuel cell is about 80% installed.

I decided to install the fuel cell front to back to make room for a bucket seat for my daughter to right with me. What is left for the fuel cell is to run lines and figure out a way to mount the Evep canister between the tank and the wheel well. Should not be too hard.

Got the tailgate in place and adjusted. still got a few holes to drill and some more hinges to buy for the storage box I mounted to the inside. My daughter was helping me by using the dead blow hammer on the tire. lol

As you can see here there is a .15 in gap between the storage box and the fuel cell. I will however be adding some rubber edging around the tank just in case. Still need some hinges and a latch for the box door. and it will be complete.

If I can find a small tank of 100% argon I might weld the corners of the box but until then it will stay with rivets. I am also debating on changing the bolts that are holding the box to the tapered ones that came with the fenders. but still thinking on that one.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Big Bird Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
After a long break from working on the Jeep I found myself in the hospital for 4 days and realized I was having withdrawls from not being able to work on the Jeep. JK I was in the Hospital but all is well and I am out and feeling great. I was able to get some time off work after my hospital stay and have been spending the last few days working on the Jeep and getting some items finished up.

First I was able to get the aluminum storage box I made for my Tailgate welded up and due to my crapy welds I had to flap disc it to make it look presentable. I also was using old aluminum and had to flap disc the body and door to get the crap off it. Here is the finished product.

I spent the last few months trying to figure out how I was going to move my Evep Canister to keep the emissions BS on so I can still drive it on the street. After all this time I finally figured out how I was going to mount it. I had to design a new mount and run all new lines. I was able to draw out the way I am running the fuel system and got all the parts ordered. I am still waiting for a few more items but it is almost complete.

As shown before the fuel cell is mounted long way to leave room for a rear seat for my daughter to ride with me. I decided to use the floor in front of the fuel cell and behind the front pass seat to put the Evap system.

Fuel cell with lines run

side view of vent lines

Evap Mount front and back, I still need to mount it to the floorboard

Removed the rear axle again to get the upper mount centered and ready to be welded into place.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
I also got almost all of my Control Arms welded up however I still have one left to weld up. the upper for the front three link still needs to be welded up. I am trying to get the Engine pulled this week/weekend so that I can get the inner frame cleaned up from cutting old mounts. I am also looking at upgrading to a set of headers and a whole new exhaust system to keep the control arms from hitting it. Here is the rear of the Jeep with the axle pulled out. the two control arms in the pic are the upper arms that will connect to the mount in the previous post. Amd yes that is a cat litter box catching coolant. lol

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird Rubicon View Post
I spent the last few months trying to figure out how I was going to move my Evep Canister to keep the emissions BS on so I can still drive it on the street. After all this time I finally figured out how I was going to mount it. I had to design a new mount and run all new lines. I was able to draw out the way I am running the fuel system and got all the parts ordered. I am still waiting for a few more items but it is almost complete.

As shown before the fuel cell is mounted long way to leave room for a rear seat for my daughter to ride with me. I decided to use the floor in front of the fuel cell and behind the front pass seat to put the Evap system.

Fuel cell with lines run

side view of vent lines

Looks great bro.

However, it looks like you ran the original feed and vent lines to the evap canister. Those connections DO NOT have a roll over valve in them stock. Unless you put one in, when you get off camber with a semi full tank you will get raw fuel into the evap canister. not a good thing.

Might get a few roll over valves and install them on the tank end of the lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Nice looking rig man, that tailgate storage is slick!
Grronk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 137745
This project is taking shape. Nice work!
tubender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
@Grronk - Thanks for the post.

@tubender - Thanks for the comment

If anyone has any suggestuions I am open to them

I spent this last week working on the Jeep and making some real progress.

First I finished up the Upper Axle side mount and got it welded on. I also touched up the paint on the axle to keep the rust down.

After finishing the rear axle I started working on the cross member for the rear lower links at the frame. What I did is I currently have a skid plate from a Rubicon Express long arm lift and decided I would use that to mount my cross member. I took a piece of 2" .25 wall square tubing and cut out a .25" run from side to side and slid the tubing onto the skid plate. Then I welded the tubing onto the skid. this really added some weight to the skid. then I found the exact center of the skid and mounted the control arm mount to the tubing.
sorry for the pic quality on this one

Then I moved the axle back under the Jeep and connected the Rear links to get it hooked in.

After getting the links in I did some measuring and found that I am 7/8 in off to the right and need to move the axle left 7/16 of an inch to be exact center. with the double triangulation I am not 100% sure how to do this without cutting welds and moving arms. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are some side rear view of both sides of the Jeep as it currently sits.

I have decided since I am doing so many changes to the Jeep I am going to change the color also. Getting away from the Detonator Yellow and going with this.

ITs called Mango Tango Pearl and I think it will look great.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Step 1 : disconnect all links
Step 2: center axle
step 3: adjust all links to fit.
Step 4 enjoy jack Daniels mater distiller #1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #35 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
The last thing I did before quiting for the weekend was pull the engine. it was getting in the way when trying to clean the old links from the frame. so Out comes the Engine, Trans, and T-case. I have so much room now.

I noticed when I was test fitting the upper front link the Exhaust was in the way so I cut the old exhaust out and will be installing a new exhaust to include a new manifold/Header. Hopefully I can find a shop to install that without a Cat and the smallest muffler avail.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Well I ordered the last of my Fuel system parts and ordered the balance beads for the beadlocks I am building. I was also able to get the Brake Proportioning valve and a nice new tubing Notcher. everything should be here next week lets hope for some more parts I have for sale to sell so I can get the rest of the parts for the brakes and get the headers I am looking at.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #37 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird Rubicon View Post
ordered the balance beads for the beadlocks I am building.
Did you actually order balance beads. or BBs. I went with Airsoft .25g BB's off ebay for $33.95.

Joel.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
I ordered balance beads I have used them before and they worked great
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Got to work on the Jeep some this weekend.

picked up a tubing/pipe notcher and started working on the rear shock mounts. A tubing bender would have come in handy but I didn't have the funds to spend on a bender.

First I was able to center up the axle and get the links up and in place.

Also got the shocks in the aproxamate location they will be when finished

I realized when I mounted the bar from the B to the C pillar I forgot to measure twice and cut once. and had to make a modification the the upper shock mount. but I think it turned out really good. (I am aware my welds are not perfect lol)

oiled and gasses up the shocks and got the Jackstands off this bad bitch

Full stuff (no gas in shocks)

current ride height (might be going up 1 in or so more.)

Current Stance side views. ( I still have the engine out and need to reinstall)

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #40 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
I have one last control arm to get welded in and set in place but I need to make a few changes to the mount before welding it. I am thinking about cutting a notch in the frame and sliding the frame mount in a little. it currently sticks out a little too much. it will hit the trans bell housing.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 863148
Cool idea with the tailgate storage. Rokmen has something very similar:
https://www.rokmen.com/drop-down-alu...partment.html#
AccuTune Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccuTune Offroad View Post
Cool idea with the tailgate storage. Rokmen has something very similar:
https://www.rokmen.com/drop-down-alu...partment.html#
That is where I got the idea. a buddy had the Rokman one and said it had its good and bad points. the cost of the Rokman gate was about 200.00 more than the Poison Spyder and I acquired the aluminum for my box for FREE. so didn't have to spend that extra 200.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Got out an finished installing the last control arm. one more thing to install and that is a Track Bar on the front. I used a strap to keep the frame in place for some flex pics

yes I know I still need the engine/trans and T-case installed but I will install that after the Jeep is painted.

started at 96 in WB currently sitting at 119.5 in WB I will be pulling the front axle back about 1 - 1.5 in to make it 117 - 118 in WB

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Its been a while since I posted and my Jeep has had a few changes.

Since I am in the Army I had to go to training the whole month of March and so I dropped the Jeep off at the Paint/Powder coat shop in Oak Grove, KY #armorkoating This place was recommended by a few people I know.

I got them to agree to a quote that a different paint shop quoted me. They have had the Jeep for over a month. Its still not done and I am not sure when they will have it done. but I am stopping in every day to push them.

dropped at shop

also took all the nitrogen out of the shocks so they could work on it easier

They started repairing some of the dents and dings on the body

tub repairs completed and primered

Finally after one month they finally got in in the paint booth

This paint process is going to kill me.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
After getting it somewhat taped off they sprayed the tub with the primer and then sprayed the new color.

Still waiting on the other parts to get sprayed and painted so it can be put back together.

Pulled the Jeep out to work on a different vehicle. Still have everything else to be painted and put back together. oh and the window frame and Hood still have dents that need to be pulled.

Jeep outside in the sunlight. The dents on the lower rocker I told him not to worry about since they will be covered by the rock sliders.

Since I am waiting on the Jeep Paint to be completed I decided to pull the accessories off the Engine and spray it with an engine paint color that is close to the Jeeps new color. (Wish I could find an engine paint that matched) I know I have to clean off the Intake/Exhaust surface.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Looking good bro.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #47 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
So I have been getting on the paint guy and trying to get him to pick up his pace. he has had the Jeep for about 1.5 months and still doesn't have all the dents he is supposed to pull done. He still needs to finish with the Hood and the Window frame dents.

However he has sprayed the fenders and done a little more work. Should be getting the front done tomorrow. I hope Here is what it is looking like right now.

Don't mind the rusty roll cage I am going to pull the cage and have it sandblasted and powder coated after I finish with the paint and do some final welds on the cage

DS Rear

Front Fender not yet installed

He still has to do final buffing and finishing. but its starting to come together and I am loving this new color.

What they did was powder coated the fenders black and then taped off the flares and sprayed the color (Mango Tango Pearl). Then removed the tape and did the clear coat over the whole thing.

As you can see in one pic the rocker panel on the Jeep is still bent in and doesn't sit flush with the new fender armor. I told the body man that I didn't care about fixing those dents since they are under the Armor and can not be seen.

I can not wait to see this thing when the paint is complete.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Nice bro. Going be sweet.

Joel.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
got with my powder coating guy and paint guy today. two different guys but one locations makes it convenient. Watched them do the Powder Coating and it is very interesting. The put on the base Orange with Metallic Flake in it and it looked really odd. wasn't anything like the pictures or the color card. Well he told me that it will change drastically with the addition of the clear. Well it did change very drastically. here are some pics of the powder projects.

As you can see in the above pics the Orange is actually very dull and light this is Stage 1.

and here is Stage 2 clear coat added.

The beadlock rings only got to Stage 2

The tank goes and some other parts got to Stage 3
Tank Stage 2

you can see in the last two pics how the color changed a LOT. It is not a 100% Match to the body paint but it is as close as he could get without spending 3-4 hundred on different color powder

Now to show you Stage 3. In this stage the powder coater applies a vinal sticker to the stage 2 layer and does a the stage 3 layer over the vinal sticker then removes the sticker to get an amazing layered effect.

Stage 3 - Tank and Poison Spyder Fender Inserts.

I had both PS and Artec logo's added since I have used maybe 75% PS and the same with Artec on the Axles.

And here is the inserts set in place with the fenders. I have not tightened them down yet.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #50 (permalink)
PROUD "INFIDEL"

Member # 289066
Lastly I was able to get one rim completed with my Home built/cut beadlocks

So I actually put the tire together and realized I had two pin hole leaks, and I need anti-coning spacers. I pulled the outer ring and welded over the spots that had the leaks. I am also going to go pic up some 1/2" square tube and cut it into small pieces and just weld it to the rim.

Until next time.

Last edited by Big Bird Rubicon; 06-05-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in