Build. The General Lee. YJ, tons, 40s, stretch, leaves. - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
Consider using weld nuts on the frame.
Only need 1 hole....and a small circular weld.
Perfect for what you are needing to do.
The bolts will take all the load after the skid is installed.

3 of them on each side in the 1/2"x13 size should be enough.
Do 4 on each side for total overkill.

Mcmaster has 10 of them for like $7

Here's the link to mcmaster.

Something like this, but with just the neck inserted into a smaller hole.
And then welding the base to the outside of your frame rail.

_
Nice Todd! Makes me wish I hadnít grabbed a chunk of 1;2Ē ID DOM to sleeve the frame with already but Iím sure I can find another use for that. Iíll have to order some of those.

Btw, you need to update your location.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Nice work going on here. I really like the flat belly look.

I was worried when Supermotors went down for a couple days. I actually did an update when it came back up. Lol. If they go the way of photo bucket, I'll probably give up on the Internet. Lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 45243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Nice Todd! Makes me wish I hadnít grabbed a chunk of 1;2Ē ID DOM to sleeve the frame with already but Iím sure I can find another use for that. Iíll have to order some of those.

Btw, you need to update your location.

Location....?

It's in a camper !!
It's location is in Idaho, Arizona, or Washington, or New Mexico, or Texas, or Utah.
It might be near Slab City next week....

Neil's rig on the right....

ToddRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Nice work going on here. I really like the flat belly look.

I was worried when Supermotors went down for a couple days. I actually did an update when it came back up. Lol. If they go the way of photo bucket, I'll probably give up on the Internet. Lol.
Right? I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRH View Post
Location....?

It's in a camper !!
It's location is in Idaho, Arizona, or Washington, or New Mexico, or Texas, or Utah.
It might be near Slab City next week....

Neil's rig on the right....

Nice. Tell Neil I said hello.

And holy hell I am impressed with McMaster! Iíve never actually ordered anything from them before. This morning around 9:30 am I ordered 2 packs of those weld nuts along other a few other odds and ends for the build. When I got home from work at 6:15 there was a box from them in front of my door!
Old 10-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Alright well today was fairly productive despite some family stuff chewing up some time today.

First task of the day was to install and set up the cable and linkages on the transmission for the Winters shifter as this wonít be accessible once the skid goes on. What I have read in the past was correct and I did have to slightly modify the bracket for the cable that attaches to the bottom of the transmission pan. There are a couple of reenforcement ridges on the tailhousing of the transmission that the bracket hits on. Wasnít overly difficult to do. I just cut a little extra material off of the bracket where the cable retainer bolts to and it bolted right in.

Blue loctite was used on all of the various linkage hardware. I do not want this stuff to vibrate loose on me.

After that I went on to working on the belly up skid. First thing I did was take the plasma to it to trim the area that overhung the outside of the frame, make my cut out for the front driveshaft, and clearance areas for the anti wrap bar and rear driveshaft.

With that all done I took a cut off wheel and scored a deep channel 2Ēs in from the front and rear edges and bent that 2Ēs up and then welded it back together to give the skid some rigidity.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Then I started working up the support skeleton. I picked up a bunch of cut off pieces in various lengths of 1/2Ēx1/2Ē x 1/8Ē thick angle iron from the drop pile at IMS a few weeks ago for a couple of bucks to use for this purpose.

So I basically framed out the area beneath the atlas to make sure that area of the skid is nice and rigid. I also cut a hole below where the Atlas drain plug is so I can change the fluid in the Atlas without dropping the skid. I still have a fair bit of welding to do on the rib cage of the skid and I still have to do the side panels that will actually attach it to the frame. I think this should make for a nice, rigid, strong skid the way I did it. Hopefully I can get it finished up and painted next week then it will be on to the exhaust, fuel and brake lines and Atlas cable shifters. Then when all thatís done it will be time to start test fitting the tub back onto the frame.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #233 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Old 11-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Back to work on the skid plate today. Lost a bit of time as I managed to run thru the 40 CF tank of MiG mix I just got 2 months ago (a new record, a tank usually lasts me a couple of years) so I had to make a run to West Air for a refill. While I was there I also grabbed a 20 CF tank of Nitrogen as I will need that to fill my bumps and shocks at some point so I figured I may as well grab one since I was there.

So for the skid the first thing I did was sling it back up under the frame and get it all lined back up.

Once I was happy with where it sat and I rechecked all my clearances I ripped some more 3/16Ē steel to 2.5Ē wide strips to use for the side mounts. Got them all mocked up, made a few cut outs to go around the Swag body mounts, tack welded them on good and measured up and marked my mounting holes in the side plates and the frame. Gonna be some serious overkill as I will end up with 6 bolts per side holding this thing on. Three 1/2Ē bolts and three 3/8Ē bolts per side to be exact.

Then I dropped it back out and manhandled it up onto the sawhorses again to finish welding in the side plates and smooth out all the remaining rough edges from the plasma cutter.

Had just enough time to get the top side painted before I had to call it a day to go get my daughter from school. I was going to paint it black, but I still have a couple of cans of Hammered Grey leftover from the axles. So I am painting the skid the same way I did the axles. Couple coats of Chassis Saver making it extra thick on the business side of the skid, and a couple of coats of Hammered Grey. I actually think this will be better long term because it will be easier to spot any fluid leaks on the lighter color.

Next work day should see me finish painting and installing the skid and finishing up the Atlas cable shifters hopefully. (I started messing with them a bit today while waiting for the welder to cool down when I overheated it and waiting for paint to dry)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
I also cut a hole below where the Atlas drain plug is so I can change the fluid in the Atlas without dropping the skid.
How often does Atlas recommend changing the oil? I guess it's not bad to have the ability, but it's not like an engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
How often does Atlas recommend changing the oil? I guess it's not bad to have the ability, but it's not like an engine.
Not that often after the 500 mile break in. Even that is enough for me to not want to have to drop this monster out just for a fluid change though.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 95086
Quote:
I always get mixed up on the term. But you can think about it this way. If you raise the pinion yoke your caster is less and the truck drives like shit. If you lower the pinion, the caster increases and the drive line angle is shit. (But it drives nice) I've heard on this site that caster can be as high as 11-12 degrees with no apparent problem. I think after that the tires start having increased ware.
There's a discussion on a 4800 FB page were the consensus is 15* on a race car is ideal, with one guy saying he's running 22* with no ill effects. They're saying 15* makes the steering self centering at high speeds and on steep climbs forces pressure down on the outside edge of the tires helping them bite better when searching for traction.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #238 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So the wife gave me some wrenching time today and I was able to get a fair few things accomplished.

First on the agenda was to finish painting and mounting the skid. I ordered some of those weld nuts that Todd mentioned and decided to modify it up a little. I drilled thru the frame and basically combined those with some 1/2” ID DOM that I machined out a bit to fit them.

I didn’t take any shots of them welded into the frame, suffice to say the mounts for this are completely overkill and beefy.

Then I went ahead and installed the skid. Still waiting on my bolt depot order to arrive with the correct length 1/2” grade 8 bolts but I used some longer ones for now just to hold it up in place.

After I had the skid on I turned my attention to starting the fuel lines. First order of business was selecting a spot for and mounting the fuel filter. I drilled the frame and installed a couple of 5/16” nutserts to attach the mounting clamp for the Russell fuel filter

After that I managed to build the hose from the fuel rail to the filter. That was about when I realized I didn’t order nearly enough hose ends. So I was forced to call it a day and hit the web to order some stuff. Placed orders with both Summit Racing and Jegs for everything I need to finish the fuel lines, brake lines, and hopefully the exhaust.

Last edited by 92 Green YJ; 11-10-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the last picture
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So not really gonna get much accomplished this week. I have a work trip to Orlando for the week for a trade show. I did receive all my orders with the various and sundry parts I need to finish the fuel lines, brake lines, and exhaust from Summit Racing and Jegs.

As I was putting my various new parts on the shelf I decided it was high time I take a bit of a fab and wrenching break to try and clean the damn garage a bit. Iíve been wasting way too much damn time hunting for tools and parts lately and itís been driving me nuts. So I spent a bit of time cleaning and purging and reorganizing, returning tools to their boxes, etc today. Should make me more productive when I get back to work.

I can see the floor under the Jeep!

Old 11-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Nice. Tell Neil I said hello.

And holy hell I am impressed with McMaster! Iíve never actually ordered anything from them before. This morning around 9:30 am I ordered 2 packs of those weld nuts along other a few other odds and ends for the build. When I got home from work at 6:15 there was a box from them in front of my door!
I've experienced this with McMaster several times. McMaster is the best company for fast service. They are alittle pricy though.

Garage looks clean, get back to work.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #241 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
I've experienced this with McMaster several times. McMaster is the best company for fast service. They are alittle pricy though.

Garage looks clean, get back to work.
Kinda hard to do that. Iím in your neck of the woods at the moment. Well sort of. Iím in Orlando for the week for the IAAPA expo for work.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours work today.

I started with installing nutserts for my fuel line clamps to keep it all attached to the frame. Unfortunately I somehow managed to break the 1/4Ē head of my nutsert tool while installing one. Guess I oversat it. So that ended that for the day until I get a new one. (Already ordered a replacement).

So I decided to turn my attention to trying to start figuring out the exhaust. I decided I should start by mounting the catalytic converter. So I made up a mounting flange to attach to the trans crossmember.

I took a scrap chunk of 3/16Ē plate (I have a lot of this) then put the converter on it and traced out the flange.

A few minutes with the plasma cutter and a touch of smoothing with a flap disc and the drill press net me this.

Welded the flange to a chunk of DOM that will house some poly bushings.

And all finished up and installed to the crossmember.

Itís a pretty good start and having the cat in place enabled me to more or less figure out what to do to connect everything up to each other. Had to order a few more pieces to make it all work though so I have to wait for that to arrive before I can go too much further on it.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:15 AM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Heat from that flange/convertor going to play hell with the poly on the bushing ?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Heat from that flange/convertor going to play hell with the poly on the bushing ?
Maybe? I know the factory mount flange was mounted on a rubber block type thing. The original was completely shot. I guess Iíll find out when I get this thing together enough to actually crank the engine over and run it. I know I need something in there to give it some flex and wiggle. So I came up with this. I guess time will tell if it will work.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Got back to work on the beast today. Decided to keep going on getting the exhaust worked out. First task was to decide where I wanted it to exit. Before I had it exiting thru the body but I did t want to go that route this time. After looking at it for a bit I decided to cut a 3Ē hole thru the frame where the factory shackle hanger was. This should keep the tail pipe well out of the way so it doesnít get destroyed on the rocks.

Used a hole saw to cut the holes in the frame then sleeved the hole with a piece of 3Ē exhaust tube I had left over from the exhaust on my Charger. Using 2.5Ē tube for the YJ so this is perfect.

Then I went ahead and welded some header flanges to my Magnaflow muffler. I am setting this up so I can easily remove pieces to service or replace as needed.

Next task was to figure out and fabricate the midpipe from the header to the cat. Obviously the factory pipe wonít work so I took a stock replacement YJ pipe and an XJ pipe I picked up and kind of chopped them up and welded them together to make what I needed.

Then I bolted the muffler up to the cat which I also welded a flange to.

I got most of the tail pipe fabricated by cutting and combining some pre bent tubes I got from Jegs. Unfortunately I discovered I should have ordered another 45* bend as that would be perfect to connect the muffler to the tail section. So I ordered another one from Summit. Once that comes in I will finish the tail pipe and burn in the hangers.

I also took care of running my rollover vent line to the front and started planning out the brake lines before I had to go get my daughter from school.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Pretty productive day today. I started by getting the exhaust finished up.

Nice and high up out of the way. Should be well protected from the rocks. I am just waiting for my Motobilt order to arrive with the tabs in it. I have to weld one to the frame to attach the rear exhaust hanger to. It honestly probably isnít even necessary but I planned for it and already welded the exhaust side bracket on so I may as well.

After I finished up the exhaust I turned my attention to the brake lines. I started with plumbing the rear axle. I have a 30Ē braided SS line dropping from the frame to a trick little T block I got for cheap from Jegs. Shot SS line to the calipers, and 3/16Ē hardline make up the rest of the runs. And yes I still need to secure the lines under the perches. I just havenít really thought up a good way to do that just yet.

Front axle is set up the same way with the same materials.

I also ran the frame line from the front to the rear axle with a break and some SS flex lines that will go to the ball valve in my center console that will be my parking brake. I did a few other small odds and ends. I have a few more things to wrap up next week and then I think itís time to test fit the tub back on and see what all I am going to have to hack up for clearance.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #247 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
nice man, getting it done
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well I donít want you degenerates thinking I havenít been getting any work done. I havenít done much in the way of big stuff the last few working days but I have been slowly chipping away at some of the smaller details and items on my punch list. Mostly stuff that is going to be more difficult to access and do once the tub goes back on for test fitting. Much of this stuff hasnít been picture worthy. But here is a few small updates on what I have been up to.

First little project was relocating the breather fitting on the rear axle. Since I clocked the pinion up for a better angle the factory breather was sitting in a bit too vulnerable of a spot and angle for my taste. So I plugged the original with a threaded plug sealed with silicone then drilled and tapped a new 1/4Ē NPT hole over on the passenger side between the spring pad and the wrap bar. Iíll route a hose from this up to a vented catch can in the rear wheel well.

My Black Friday Motobilt order finally arrived with the tabs I ordered to finish the rear exhaust hanger. So I got that welded to the frame and installed the bushing and bolted it up.

Ordered up and installed this panel mount 1/8Ē NPT high pressure ball valve from McMaster Carr to function as my line lock on the rear brake line. It will be installed in the center console near the shifters for easy access.

Also got some 3/8Ē Goodyear rubber air hose for the airlines to the bumpers for my on board air. I was originally going to run this thru the passenger side frame rail but quickly discovered that was going to be exceedingly difficult due to the skid mounts and other obstructions now present inside the frame rails. So Iím going to install clamps along the inner rail like I did for the fuel lines.

Since itís now going to be exposed on the rail I encased it in some abrasive resistant sleeve.

Just need to order more of the appropriate sized SS clamps to secure it with.

I also built and routed the AN lines for my transmission cooler.

I filled the Stroker with 6 quarts of engine break in oil from Jegs and got the oil pump primed. Installed the distributor and the plugs then roughly installed the plug wires and heat boots. Still need to clean up the plug wires with some dividers and such.

I still have a few more little detail type things I want to tie up before I go to test fit the tub back on, but I am making steady progress. Iím putting off the big job of blowing the Dana 60 apart again to replace the inner axle seals that are apparently bad. Wish I had bothered to do it when I had it blown apart the first time.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So I had some time to kill this morning and I decided to start looking at options for gauges. I am planning to do a flat aluminum dash and want do do a cluster type set up as opposed to individual traditional gauges. So after looking at pretty much every major gauge manufacturer out there and what they have to offer, I naturally set my sights on these two pricey options from Dakota Digital.

I am really leaning towards the HDX-2200 unit. In the dark grey color scheme. Itís got everything built in and Dakota Digital offers expansion modules so I could add on a GPS based speedo drive which would also give me compass and altimeter features built right into the cluster. Same with adding like a transmission temp sender. Has turn indicators, high beam indicator, etc all built in as well.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1145.htm

The other option I am considering has all of the same features as the 2200 but in a slightly slimmer package. Again I would go with the dark grey I think. The HDX-2017.

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1075.htm

I think the big determining factor on which one I go with is how much space I have above the steering column. Iíd like to mount the cluster above the wheel like it is in my Ram and leave what used to be the majority of the gauge cluster area open for other things in the new dash.

In other news I ordered a few more parts today. Hoping this week to get the inner seals of the 60 replaced and button up my last few odds and ends on the frame so next week I can round up a couple of buddies and test fit the tub back on the frame and see what I need to modify for clearance and start working on the other tub additions I have planned.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Lots of "cool" going on here. I don't know why, but I always liked exhaust going through a frame like that. If you're looking for opinions on the gauges, I like the first one, a lot. The oval one isn't bad, but that first one is really badazz. Much more "serious" looking.

Carry on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in