Build. The General Lee. YJ, tons, 40s, stretch, leaves. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #26 (permalink)
What do I do now?

Member # 771225
I've really enjoyed your build, mostly seeing how you've tackled the body/tub. My build has been very similar with a tub stretch (and I had to rebuild almost every piece of my tub) so I know what you're going through! I was a bit curious about why you decided to tack the edges and not to spot weld the new metal in on the stretch area? Are you concerned with water getting trapped between the two pieces of sheet metal and rusting? Or are you going to try to use some seam sealer before paint? (EDIT: I was looking at the pics in post 21, but looking at some of the others I now see you did use plug holes and spot welds. Still, any plan to use seam sealer, or concern about water and debris collecting in between the dimple die plate and sheet metal?)

Two more things, first do you have any recommendations for the sandblast cabinet you have in the corner there? Seems like often I'm only blowing air.

And second, I need to flip my tub to finish welding the bottom like you did but I'm terrified that I'm going to bend up my pretty new sides. Any tips?

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by bhat; 07-03-2018 at 08:07 AM.
bhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
Sub'd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhat View Post
I've really enjoyed your build, mostly seeing how you've tackled the body/tub. My build has been very similar with a tub stretch (and I had to rebuild almost every piece of my tub) so I know what you're going through! I was a bit curious about why you decided to tack the edges and not to spot weld the new metal in on the stretch area? Are you concerned with water getting trapped between the two pieces of sheet metal and rusting? Or are you going to try to use some seam sealer before paint? (EDIT: I was looking at the pics in post 21, but looking at some of the others I now see you did use plug holes and spot welds. Still, any plan to use seam sealer, or concern about water and debris collecting in between the dimple die plate and sheet metal?)

Two more things, first do you have any recommendations for the sandblast cabinet you have in the corner there? Seems like often I'm only blowing air.

And second, I need to flip my tub to finish welding the bottom like you did but I'm terrified that I'm going to bend up my pretty new sides. Any tips?

Keep up the good work!

As you noticed I did both spot welds and tacks along the edges. I wasnít planning to do the tacks originally, but I figured the more places the edges are tied in together the stronger it will be. Figured it couldnít hurt. I am going to have to use seam sealer in a couple of places on the inside. I probably should have waited to do the floor extensions in front of the wheel wells until I had the sides at least mocked in. I wound up with a sizable gap there that there is no way I will be able to weld. For the bottom I will be undercoating the entire bottom of the tub. That should seal any small gaps pretty well. I side will be coated with Monstaliner which again will seal any small gaps as well as hide my crappy sheet metal work.

For the blast cabinet, Iíve found my biggest issue is the media not settling back down where my siphon tube is. So occasionally I just smack the cabinet a bit to get it to settle back down.

Honestly for the tub flip I just gently tipped it up onto its side. Made sure the area I was going to be resting on was well swept and that was about it. Didnít appear to cause any damage.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Found a spare hour and a half today so I knocked out the aluminum backing plate for the drivers side corner armor. Did this one a little different after the issues I had with the passenger side getting all bent out of shape. This time I clamped the strip in place and drilled my mount holes on the tub. Laid out my holes for dimples and switched to a 1Ē die for the whole thing. Same hole spacing as the other side. This worked WAY better. Sadly though now I am definitely going to want to redo the passenger side.

Drivers side backer

As you can see, this side lined up almost perfectly when I went to bolt it back in. Only had one hole that was slightly off.

And for comparison, a close up of the passenger side piece that I am going to end up redoing.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well itís been a while since Iíve updated this or in truth gotten any work done on this project. Since my last post in this thread I succeeded in getting another bun cooking in the wifeís oven. So of course that meant a detour to getting the babies room ready. Had a wheeling season, bought a RV, etc.

Jeeps new tow rig

My new Son and future Jeeper

So now things have begun to settle down I am finally ready to get back on the Jeep. Before I went any further I spent a good 6 hours cleaning and reorganizing my garage.

And today I pulled the trigger on some wheels. I was going to go with Racelines but the buy 3 get 1 free deal on Pro Comp was just too good to pass up. So I just ordered a set of 4 of these.

Pro Comp 75 series Trilogy Race Alloy Beadlocks. Went 17x9 with the 8x6.5Ē bolt pattern for my tons.

I have a few more things I want to tie up on the tub then I will be moving it out of the garage and rolling the YJ in for the tear down. Stay tuned.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Ok, so getting time to start ordering some of the larger components for this build. Within the next week or so I am going to place the order for the Atlas 4 speed and the 40s.

So that said looking for a little input on these two buys.

1st the Atlas. I’m having a hard time deciding what ratio to go with. I’m keeping the factory 3 speed auto (though it is going in for a reduced and shift kit install. It’s the one piece on my Yj that’s never been touched and I figure if I’m gonna have it all apart I may as well) sticking with the 5.13s in the axles. I am now planning to drop in a stroker motor while I have this thing blown apart. So all that said, I do a lot of trail running and sand/rock trails. I spend most of my time out at Truckhaven and Ocotillo Wells but I do enjoy the slow technical crawling as well.

So what say the PBB on Atlas ratio choice?
My first thought was the deepest available. 2.72, 4.3, and 11.69 to 1. But the more I think about it, the more I feel like that 11:1 is just downright stupid and I will likely never use it other than to show off and be goofy. However this choice does have the broadest spread of gearing choices. Now I am leaning towards the 2.72, 3.8, 10.34 ratio spread. I know I want something close to a 4:1 for crawling. I am well used to the 2.72 range as that’s what I have now. So this spread makes the most sense to me as again it offers a pretty broad selection. Thoughts?

Second point: tires

Planning to go with Maxxis Trepadors. 40 x 17. I’ve always run radials but I like the look and the side outs on the bias ply treps. And no I am not taking out a second mortgage to go with the sticky treps so don’t even bring it up. How well do the radials hold up? Any sidewall weakness issues? Is the bias side biters worth the extra cost? Stronger sidewalks on the bias ply?

Don’t have much else for updates at the moment. Only thing I got done this weekend was installing some nutserts in a few places on the tub.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Slab King

Member # 775225
Great looking work so far dude.

Part of me wishes my daughter enjoyed wheeling with the old man enough to justify something like this but honestly the other part of me is kind of relieved she doesn't! It's all good though, we have plenty other things that we do together

Regarding the t-case - I've never seen the 4sp with 4.3 as the second low. Only 2.72 and 3.8. Unless it's an option buried somewhere on the AA site. But I think you're gonna be relegated to the 10.34:1 option.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Im AW4, 4:1 300 and 4.88s. With 5:13s the 4:3 would be perfect.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
They offer the 4.3:1 gear ratio in part number Atlas-4sp-jk. According to the site it is for 2007-2011 JK wranglers and is not available for regular 4spd cases.

However, drop Geno Burrell an email ([email protected]) or call him at 1(800)350-2223 x527 and see what he says. He is the salesman that helped me with my 4spd order last July (even got me a hell of a discount).

Joel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonJeep View Post
Great looking work so far dude.

Part of me wishes my daughter enjoyed wheeling with the old man enough to justify something like this but honestly the other part of me is kind of relieved she doesn't! It's all good though, we have plenty other things that we do together

Regarding the t-case - I've never seen the 4sp with 4.3 as the second low. Only 2.72 and 3.8. Unless it's an option buried somewhere on the AA site. But I think you're gonna be relegated to the 10.34:1 option.
Oh yeah. My daughter loves going wheeling with daddy.

This one was taken on her first wheeling trip when she was 2. The smile says it all.

And of course as she has gotten a little bigger I had to get her one she could drive herself.

And it appears the case I mentioned with that 4.3 and 11 something to 1 is for the JK only. Didnít realize that at the time. Was looking at the options in their tech archive not the actual case builder.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So I did a thing.

Pretty damn impressed with 4Wheelparts on this one. Ordered the tires online yesterday around 4 pm. Did ship to my local store in El Cajon to save myself the $300 shipping fee. Got a call from a guy at the local store ten minutes after I placed the order. He tells me I am in luck and they have 4 of them in stock at the Compton warehouse and they will be at the store here by 10 am today. He then begs me to pick them up quickly because they donít have the space to store them. So I got the call at 10:30 this morning that they were in and again the plea to pick them up today if at all possible. So I cut out of work a little early to get there a half hour before they close and we loaded them up. These things are big! Went with the bias ply.
More pics.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I like your toolbox setup. How does it work out being faced away from the jeep but facing the bench? I've never seen it done that way.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I like your toolbox setup. How does it work out being faced away from the jeep but facing the bench? I've never seen it done that way.
It works out pretty good for my general day to day stuff. I like having access from the benches. I also have a small harbor freight service cart so when I am working on a project I will load the cart with the tools and parts I need for the job at hand from the big boxes. Wheel that to what I am working on. Then when I am done out everything back in the big boxes. When I roll the YJ in for the tear down I will probably spin the boxes around though for easier access.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So I couldnít resist. Had my 4 year old stand next to one of the new Treps. She is barely taller than the new tires!

Old 03-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Back to work on the tub a little bit today.

So last time I was working on this I tried my hand at a little filler work. As I said I am no body man. Either it was too hot or I used too much hardener. At any rate, I was attempting to smooth out the vowel vent hole that I filled with a piece of plate and was less than happy with the results. So I took a flap disc and knocked a bunch of the filler out so I could try it again.

Started with this

I am using this lightweight filler I picked up from Amazon. This time I used less hardener .

I think I got it applied much better this time around. Now I am not going to bother with the body patches since they will be covered by the armor. But the cowel area will not be. Because of this I want to get it nice and smooth before I paint it. As it sits right now after applying a fresh coat of filler over the area.

Now I am going to let it harden and cure for a couple of hours before I spray a guide coat and attack it with these that I also sourced from amazon along with an assortment of sandpaper

Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Little more body work today. I am about at the point where I am ready to move the tub out of the garage and move the Jeep in for the tear down.

Looking like I am going to need some more filler work on the cowel still.

In preparation for moving the tub out of the garage I blasted all the bare steel with primer. I am going to wait on the undercoating and the Monstaliner for a while yet. Want to wait and see if I will have to do any more body modifications before I do that stuff and that wonít be until I go to drop the body on the frame.

Last thing I did today was go ahead and get the YJ off the trailer. I parked it in the yard for the moment as I am going to pressure wash the hell out of the undercarriage before I roll it into the garage. Also going to pull the roll cage before it goes in. It will fit with the cage installed but I wonít be able to remove it once itís in there. Since I had it off the trailer I couldnít resist a better tire size comparison next to my 35s

Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well the parts train keeps on moving. Made an expensive phone call to Advance Adapters this morning and placed the order for my Atlas 4 speed. Went with the 2.72:1, 3.8:1, 10.34:1 gear ratio set up, passenger drop for the new Chevy 60, 1350 CV yokes front and rear, universal cable shifter set up, etc. estimated ship date is 5/16.

This week on my day off I am hoping to wrap up the tub for now (Atlas tech said I’ll probably have to cut the floor up a bit to flat clock the Atlas with the passenger drop but we shall see. Hoping with the addition of a body lift I won’t have to hack into it too bad) and get the tub out of the garage, get the roll cage out of the YJ and roll it into the garage for the tear down.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 866646
Nice build and congrats on the son!
4x4BT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4BT View Post
Nice build and congrats on the son!
Thank you! Now if only he would sleep for more than 2 to 3 hours at a time

In build news nothing major to report today as I was at work. However I did place an order with SWAG this morning for a set of the Bertha high clearance body mounts. I am going to order the stuff for the brake conversion on the 70 tomorrow morning I think then Iím gonna hold off on ordering more parts for a little bit. I donít have a ton of room to stockpile stuff so I donít want to go overboard just yet.

My next goal is to get the tub out of the garage then do 1 of 2 things. Either go ahead and get the axles stripped down, cleaned up, and semi built (obviously not welding the perches on yet) then pull the Jeep in for the tear down. Or tear down the Jeep first and then do the axles.

Iím thinking when I do the tear down I want to get down to the frame, but leave the current suspension and axles under it, maybe leave the engine in place so itís kind of a roller still. Then I will do my frame chop and stretch as well as clean off any factory brackets I no longer need. After that I think would be a good time to mock in the new axles and suspension. Obviously it will be easiest to do all this stuff with the body off. Yes?
Old 04-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well today was fairly productive for the morning. I put my ghetto fabulous hoist system to work again and removed the tub from the table. Dropped it to the floor, wrapped it up in a tarp and strapped it down to some movers dollies and got it the hell out of the garage. Despite a small hiccup of my daughter deciding to chase her ball right as I was maneuvering it down a small step and narrowly avoiding the tub falling on her (my leg took the brunt of it) I got it out of the way.

So for the first time probably since we bought the house I have a ton of open space in my garage.

So now I have the tub out of the way I have decided to focus on some of the smaller stuff before I roll the YJ in for the tear down. First thing I did was lay out all of my Motobilt goodies that need to be welded up.

So I am going to get all these welded up. The go ahead and finish stripping the axles down. Get all the old mounts and such off that I wonít be needing. Finish building them, finish the disc conversion on the 70, etc. I have all the brake parts on order from Summit as well as a set of Yukon flanges for the 60 which should come in Tuesday. Once this stuff is done itís the YJs time of reckoning.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Started burning some of the Motobilt spring and shackles hangers together.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So I started stripping down the 60 a little bit. Havenít really messed with manual hubs before so it took me a minute to figure out how to blow apart the Warn hubs on it. What a dumb design on that outer snap ring thing!

I had asked my buddy if he remembered what the shafts were in it but he couldnít remember. They are 35 spline outers thatís for sure. Based on what it takes to change one of these things I think Iím just gonna go for gold right off the bat and order some chromoly shafts and beefy joints for it. I wouldnít want to have to go thru this much tear down to change a shaft on this thing on the trail.

That said, I am kind of known in my circle for being the guy who eats Dana 30 shafts for breakfast. I break them so often I carry 2 fully assembled spares per side and can usually swap one out in under 10 minutes. I donít think Iíll be that guy anymore.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 73093
Nice build/upgrade! Its funny how I use to think D60 was massive stuff, now they just look normal. Definitely nice to not have to bring spare shafts with me anymore... Good luck with the rest of the build!

Overbuilt 97 Wrangler | 40" Black Labels, 14" Fox Coilovers, Trailing Arm Suspension, Atlas 4.3, Warn Winch, fully caged and tested
#BajaJeep @BajaJeep_mike
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Parts train kept on rolling in today.

Swag Bertha high clearance body mounts

Yukon Drive Flanges for the 60

And about half of the parts I ordered for the rear disc conversion on the 70. Looks like the rotors and wheel studs shipped from Summit racingís Ohio warehouse, so I wonít see those for a few days yet.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well I came home and found I had the house to myself so I managed to sneak in an hour or so worth of work this afternoon. Nothing major obviously with the limited time I had.

Welded up some more Motobilt goodness. Feel like I may be over doing it by fully welding the joints on both sides of the shackle brackets, but what the hell

Then I laid down the first couple of coats of caliper paint on the rear disc calipers and brackets for the 70.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in