Build. The General Lee. YJ, tons, 40s, stretch, leaves. - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
Came home from work to a nicely crated 4.6L Stroker long block from ATK. Luckily the delivery guy was super cool and despite them telling me on the phone they are curbside only he rolled it right up to the garage for me on the pallet jack. Canít wait to get it unpacked and on the engine stand. Gotta place a fat order with Summit racing for the rest of the stuff I need to build it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 870338
Quote:
Came home from work to a nicely crated 4.6L Stroker long block from ATK. Luckily the delivery guy was super cool and despite them telling me on the phone they are curbside only he rolled it right up to the garage for me on the pallet jack. Canít wait to get it unpacked and on the engine stand. Gotta place a fat order with Summit racing for the rest of the stuff I need to build it up.

Canít say enough about Summit Racing customer service. I have ordered $1000ís of dollars in parts and returned $100ís. Never had any issues and would get 90% of my orders in 24 to 48 hours. They price match too. Build is looking good. When we get done letís go wheel!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJUnlimited View Post
Canít say enough about Summit Racing customer service. I have ordered $1000ís of dollars in parts and returned $100ís. Never had any issues and would get 90% of my orders in 24 to 48 hours. They price match too. Build is looking good. When we get done letís go wheel!
You donít have to sell me on Summit Racing. Been a loyal customer of theirs for over 20 years. Used to live 20 minutes from the Ohio showroom it was great to just walk in and browse around. Iíve built quite a few vehicles out of their catalog over the years. Used them heavily for my 71 Charger build.

Best part for me is if they have it in stock in the Nevada warehouse their free shipping usually has it at my door the very next day after I order it.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well the parts train is rolling again! Came home to most of the large Summit Racing order I placed yesterday. Everything that shipped from the Nevada warehouse anyway.

New timing cover, distributor, spark plugs, MSD coil, Taylor 8.2MM plug wires, harmonic balancer, 180* thermostat, a mess of new sensors/senders, K&N oil filter, etc. lots more coming yet from Summit, Amazon, and Quadratec.

Also still have to call up PSC and order my full hydro set up. Planning to do that this coming week.

I also received the new 4 hole 27 lb fuel injectors I ordered from Fuel Injector Connection. These are sold specifically for a Stroker motor.

I donít know why these are sideways.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #130 (permalink)
Roo skin seat covers

Member # 342298
Quote:
I don’t know why these are sideways.
You probably took the pics on your phone in landscape, like you should. But unfortunately the coding gets screwed up between software, somewhere between your phone and it going on this page.

Kind of, along the line, some softwares see it was taken orientated on your phone that way, doesn't see landscape mode.

It's painful, but if you want to eliminate the issue, take pics in portrait, then crop to landscape. Then it never happens.

Last edited by 3nuts; 07-13-2019 at 07:09 PM.
3nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well as I am sitting here with the baby waiting for the wife to get home from her appointment and some personal time I went ahead and called up PSC to place the order for their Trail Series full Hydro steering kit with a single pass cooler, YJ specific pump, fluids, and all the bells and whistles. When the wife gets home I’m gonna head out to the hot garage and sweat my ass off for a few hours. Goal today is to finish stripping the passenger side frame of the last of the factory crap, burn in the new mounts and such on that side and get the Stroker out of the crate and onto the engine stand for masking and paint.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 870338
You will need to order some more ram mounts. It only comes with two. If you can fit them get two more. I could only fit 3 on my Artec Mount.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJUnlimited View Post
You will need to order some more ram mounts. It only comes with two. If you can fit them get two more. I could only fit 3 on my Artec Mount.
Good to know. I am using the Artec Chevy 60 mount. Iíll have to order more when I get it mocked in and see what I can fit.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well the thermometer in the garage said a balmy 94 degrees when I got out there this afternoon, but I sucked it up and got to work. First thing I did was finished cleaning the last of the factory stuff off the passenger side of the frame.

I have now officially hit the turning point where I am no longer removing stuff and now will only be adding stuff on!

It came as exactly zero surprise to discover another big fat cancer hole beneath the passenger side factory rear shock mount. On the bright side, these two spots were the only rusted out areas on the entire frame. I will deal with this side the way I dealt with the other side above.

After that I took the leaf blower and blew all the grinding dust out of the garage as I am pretty much done with that phase of the build and it felt like I was working on a dirt floor. I also went ahead and welded up the other 3 Swag body mounts and spring hanger but I did not get to installing them on the frame.

Instead I decided to uncrate the Stroker and get it on the stand.

Apparently ATK loaded it with a Comp Cam as part of the Stroker build up. Iím pretty pleased with the engine. Nice and clean. Everything looks good on it. The few bolts I spot checked were torqued to spec.

Then I got it all masked off and laid down the first 2 coats of Chevy Orange Duplicolor Engine Enamel. Used a whole can. Planning to use at least one more can on it. The new engine parts are still trickling in. The new oil pan showed up today.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Got home from work a bit early today so I sprayed two more coats of paint on the engine and went ahead and pulled the mask off of it. Canít wait for the rest of the engine parts to come in so I can get to work assembling this beast.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 16505
More parts trickling in. Second box from Summit Racing containing a new idler pulley and a brand new shiny BBK 62MM Throttle Body

I also found a company online this morning by the name of Totally Stainless that offers a complete Stainless steel hardware kit for the Jeep 4.0L engine. I had originally planned to reuse my existing hardware from the old motor, clean it all up, maybe paint it, etc. but the price on the kit was reasonable so I decided to just go ahead and order it and have all new fresh, shiny, SS hardware to assemble the engine with.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 870338
Build. The General Lee. YJ, tons, 40s, stretch, leaves.

Donít forget anti seize on the stainless hardware.

Last edited by YJUnlimited; 07-18-2019 at 01:44 AM.
YJUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Came home to another lovely pile of boxes again today

2 big heavy ones from PSC containing my complete full hydro kit, cooler, and fluid

Smaller ones from Quadratec with more random engine build items. New fuel pressure regulator, Mishimoto silicone radiator hose set, new dipstick, oil fill plug, poly transmission mount, and a new aluminum valve cover

Yes it says 4.0L on it which is a lie but all well. It looks a thousand times better than my old one does. I had ordered one that said Jeep on it from Amazon but discovered when I went to test fit that it was for a 4.2L and didn’t have the right holes in the right places.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Another lovely pile of boxes on my return home from work today

New Banks header ordered from Summit Racing yesterday, Powermaster 170 amp alternator, silicone vaccuuum line kit, and a set of Brown Dog engine side motor mounts for the Stroker.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well we were supposed to go to some family reunion thing today but luckily for my my daughter has a fever and is sick so we stayed home instead. So I managed to slip out to the garage for a while and get a little work done.

I started with finishing the passenger side body mounts and rust repair patch. Overheated the welder with an inch left to go on the patch so Iíll finish that later.

And since everyone loves weld close ups around here. Yes I had to stop and reposition.

After I overheated the welder I came inside to check on the sick kid and the wife and baby. The wife not so subtly hinted that it was high time I get rid of the pile of scrap metal sitting in the corner of the yard. Said she felt like we were on the set of Sanford and Son. So I loaded all the crap Iíve cut off the Jeep into my truck and made a scrap yard run. Netting me a whopping $24.40

Old 07-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Not a lot of picture worthy work today but I did get a fair bit accomplished.

I got the transmission separated from the old engine and ran it down the hill to the local transmission shop. It is getting cleaned up, a full rebuild, a shift kit installed, and a new torque converter. Guy at the shop said they should have it done in a couple of days.

After that I came back home and went ahead and pulled everything else off the old motor. I have all of the various brackets and such soaking in a bucket of Simple Green to remove the years of dirt, grease, and grime. Once I get them all cleaned up I’ll throw a couple of coats of paint on them. I can’t start assembling everything onto the new motor just yet as my new SS hardware kit isn’t due to arrive until later this week.

Once I had everything stripped off the old motor I went ahead and crated it up. Gotta call ATK and set up the pick up for the core return.

Goal for my next days off is to get everything assembled onto the new motor, bolt the transmission back up to it and hopefully go ahead and set it back into the frame so I can start figuring out the new transmission crossmember. Also still need to decide if I want to add a second support cross member of some kind for the Atlas because it is so much heavier than the 231 was. Not entirely sure the single center mount under the transmission tail shaft is enough for that much weight hanging off the back of it.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well I got a phone call this afternoon from the transmission shop. My Transmission is fully rebuilt and ready to go with a shift kit installed in it. Damn quick turn around considering I dropped it off Monday.

In other news my Flowkooler water pump got delivered today. Got a shipping notification from Ruffstuff that the stuff I ordered to build the transmission crossmember has shipped.

And then I hit Poly Performance this afternoon and went ahead and placed an order for a universal flush mount Art Carr- Winters shifter with the Rock Crawler stock gate pattern plate.

Looking forward to ditching the crappy stock column shifter cluster of linkages and brackets. Iíve read people have had issues with clearance with the bracket on this shifter but that has always been people still running the drivers drop diff, since I am going passenger drop I think I should be ok. Time will tell I suppose.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 870338
Good call on the gate. I ended up already switching it to rock gate after only a couple of quick spins around the block. Your parts are flowing in!
Old 07-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So got some time to work on the Jeep today. I went to start assembling the engine and discovered when I went to install the new oil pump that it did not include a new pick up tube and screen. I didnít bother removing my old one from the old engine unfortunately so that put a kink in that plan. Hit Amazon and found one with same day delivery that should arrive sometime tonight so I can do that tomorrow.

So with that wrench in my plans I instead went ahead and did a couple of small things instead. After a week soaking in simple green the accessory mount brackets cleaned right up beautifully. I found my old roll cage to be a perfect part hanger so I strung them up and shot a couple of coats of paint on them and a few other parts.

After that I went ahead and fully stripped down the intake manifold. I spent some time cleaning it up and even more time opening the throat of the throttle body plate to match the gasket and bore of the new BBK 62MM throttle body. I just took the gasket from the new TB and used that as a template. Traced it out with a sharpie and went to town on it until it was opened up to the new dimensions. Shot a couple of coats of VHT exhaust paint on the manifold as well as the new Banks header. Last thing I did was get the new throttle body fully assembled with the new sensors and such.

Tomorrow morning I am going to run down to the transmission shop and pick up the rebuilt tranny. We have some family crap to take care of in the afternoon but after that I am hoping to really get this engine assembled.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Just went out to spray another coat on the header and Intake. Yes I left the sensor installed, it is getting replaced with a new one anyway. Going all new sensors and senders just for piece of mind.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 77571
Little late to the party but wondering why a 180* stat ? The ECM is calibrated to see 195. It isn't going to run any cooler with the 180 and the ECM will keep it in open loop if it doesn't see temp.

Numerous dyno pulls have shown hot lapping the engine makes it put out a bit more power. 3rd or 4th pull back to back nets the most.

Consider going to OBD2/JTEC and having Chris Jensen of Flying Ryan do a cal for you.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Little late to the party but wondering why a 180* stat ? The ECM is calibrated to see 195. It isn't going to run any cooler with the 180 and the ECM will keep it in open loop if it doesn't see temp.

Numerous dyno pulls have shown hot lapping the engine makes it put out a bit more power. 3rd or 4th pull back to back nets the most.

Consider going to OBD2/JTEC and having Chris Jensen of Flying Ryan do a cal for you.
Some of the reading I have done on the Stroker forum indicated better results with the slightly cooler thermostat, so I thought I would give it a try. If it doesnít work out the tstat is easy to change.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Well I ran down the hill this morning to pick up the transmission. They even painted the thing for me! Amazingly the owner of the shop said it actually wasnít too bad internally despite me beating on the YJ like it owes me money for years and never really touching it other than the occasional fluid change.

Last night my 5 year old said she wanted to work on the Jeep so we went out to the garage and started putting the engine together. Note for anyone assembling a 4.0 down the road, put your timing cover on FIRST! Then do the oil pan. I spent way too much time fighting to get the timing cover on after the pan. Wound up just dropping the pan again. Luckily I wound up with a second oil pan gasket.the motor came with one as did the new pan I bought.

As of right now I have both Brown Dog engine mounts installed on the block, the oil pan, the coil bracket, dipstick tube, valve cover, oil pan, timing cover, Flowkooler Water pump with a new bypass tube, thermostat and Hesco high flow thermostat housing. Oil pump and pick up, power steering bracket and the PSC power steering pump. When we get back from chores later today I am hoping to wrap up most of the component installation.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 16505
So thinking I’m gonna place the order for all my fuel lines and brake lines and such here.

Fuel line plans are -6AN Summit Racing premium braided nylon hose for both feed to the rail and the return line.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-240620bp

Obviously all -6 AN fittings, filter, etc for that.

The brake lines I’m a little curious about. Stock YJ lines were the 3/16” stuff. With the 1 ton front discs and Chevy half ton rear discs should I stick with 3/16” stuff or should I go ahead and step it up to 1/4” brake lines for my frame stuff? I feel I’ve read that the smaller line is less volume but more pressure and the larger line is more volume but less pressure. Also discs want more volume if I’m not mistaken? I should note I will be buying new hard brake lines regardless as my original stuff was trash. I’m just not sure what size would be best for this. Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 870338
Quote:
So thinking Iím gonna place the order for all my fuel lines and brake lines and such here.

Fuel line plans are -6AN Summit Racing premium braided nylon hose for both feed to the rail and the return line.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-240620bp

Obviously all -6 AN fittings, filter, etc for that.

The brake lines Iím a little curious about. Stock YJ lines were the 3/16Ē stuff. With the 1 ton front discs and Chevy half ton rear discs should I stick with 3/16Ē stuff or should I go ahead and step it up to 1/4Ē brake lines for my frame stuff? I feel Iíve read that the smaller line is less volume but more pressure and the larger line is more volume but less pressure. Also discs want more volume if Iím not mistaken? I should note I will be buying new hard brake lines regardless as my original stuff was trash. Iím just not sure what size would be best for this. Thoughts?

Liquid is not compressible and you donít need a ton of flow. Stick with 3/16. I ran 3/16 and my brakes are fine with 2500hd brakes front and rear. I did however use hard line as much as possible. Only used braided line at the joints and calipers. Heard running all soft lines can make brakes spongy. Makes for a lot of connections though. The copper nickel hard line is the easiest line I have ever worked with as far as bending and flaring (super soft). You can get a 16í roll cheaper on amazon than summit. I used the same summit premium hose for fuel. You can save some $ by going with aluminum 3/8 line down frame rail and have the summit braided line at the tank and engine. I went with stainless, but if I was to do it over again Iíd go aluminum. It was much easier to manipulate (especially because I had the body on running the lines). I wasnít able to bend one of my lines to exactly follow the other which bugged the shit out of me. I used aluminum on my tank vent line. If you need any part numbers for fittings let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in