Plus size YJ - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Jeep - Hardcore Tech
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #51 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Finished the passenger side this afternoon. Hopefully get the driver side some time this week.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Drilled new holes for the lower door seals on the TJ door. The profile of a TJ door jam is more of a 90į notch vs the 45į of the YJ. I was going to fully use the TJ door jam, but itís just more work than itís worth. I found an old JP magazine article where they moved the seal to get it to close better. You have to slam it to fully close it, but it definitely makes a good seal. The bottom of the door stick out a little farther, but itís not really as noticeable with the armor.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #53 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Not too much lately. Waiting for some space to open up at my father in laws shop Overbuilt Customs for paint, cage, and bed liner. Tidying up things here and there. I was able to get a crossmember bent up and burned in.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #54 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Nerd wiring post inbound

Wired in some idiot lights for oil pressure and charge (never had any before). They both were not as straight forward as origanally thought. It all started when I was doing some engine bay rewiring. I had always had the "to indicator" wire on the GM 3 wire oil pressure/ fuel pump switch just twisted up in in the loom. Decided to hook it up. Once wired up the LED wouldnt go out. Come to find out GM made two different types of this switch. One (what I had) goes to an oil pressure gauge so it is a resistance to ground. The other to one goes to an idiot light and opens the circuit to ground at 4psi. Found one that works with a light and good to go.

The battery idiot light would have been straight forward IF* I used an incandecent bulb, however the indicator lights I ordered were LED. After a day of scratching my head and seeing tons of conflicting info on the web I talked to some electronics techs at work. The solution ended up being resistors in parallel and a diode in series. Had to play with resistors to figure out which one would work. Only had 1/2 Watt resistors and everything I read said use 2 watt. To get my power up I put 4 resistors in a 2x2 array. (2)x(1k and 10k in series) for a final resitance of 5.5k.

The circuit: Switched +12V, Led indicator and resistors in parallel, diode, alternator.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 136736
Kinda off topic but I have a brand new painless harness for that engine if you need it.
g23crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019, 01:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Quote:
Originally Posted by g23crawler View Post
Kinda off topic but I have a brand new painless harness for that engine if you need it.

Thanks for the offer, but my harness is so batardized now I would spend forever adding circuits. Replacing the engine is in the cards down the road which will come with a new harness.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
FOF

Member # 103588
Nice work. Iím stretching my tj this winter. Keep it up

FRIENDS OF FORDYCE
kdub0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Made a transmission skid today. There really is no room for any front tie in. So gusseted the bend and Iím using 1Ē thick rubber plugs that will rest against the corners of the transmission pan. I think unless I took a really big hit it should hold up. Either way much better than nothing. Just need to spray bomb it and itís done.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
You do mostly mud and trails where your at right? I can’t see you having too much issues with smacking that on something hard enough to hurt anything.

Hard to tell from the pics, but could you maybe add a support off the side opposite of the exhaust to the frame? If you are worried about it anyway.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Green YJ View Post
You do mostly mud and trails where your at right? I canít see you having too much issues with smacking that on something hard enough to hurt anything.

Hard to tell from the pics, but could you maybe add a support off the side opposite of the exhaust to the frame? If you are worried about it anyway.

South east trails, but I avoid mud as much as possible. I think I would have to basically come down on it to really do anything. If thatís the case I need to pick a better line.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #61 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Still waiting to get into the shop. In my boredom I ordered a new front drive shaft from Adams. 1350CV, 1410 slip, 2.5Ēx.120 tube, 1.5Ē splines, solid joints. Now I have spare oem Ford shafts front and rear. Always nice to have spares!

Old 10-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Plus size YJ

Finally got some movement. Dropped her off at Overbuilt Customs for paint cage and bedliner. I will be helping throughout the process so Iíll grab progress pics.

Used my winch suck down point as the new tie down. Seems legit?

Also welded shackle tabs on the rear axle for tie down. The plan was to run the straight back to the D ring vs cross, but my straps are too long.

Last edited by YJUnlimited; 10-28-2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Ridiculously large pic fix
YJUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Ok started on the cage feet Monday after work. Knew I wouldnít touch it again until Thursday afternoon. In the mean time I sketched up my concept of the cage.

This drawings pretty close because I used a 1:30 scale to draw it.

This one I just threw together real quick to get a better idea of the top.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Itís going slow. Iím doing pretty much all the work when I get time to go by there. I finished the A & B pillar tie ins. Also found an issue with my rear lower strut bolts and misalignment spacers.

I am solid mounting the tie ins. First I did the A pillars.

The more I looked at it the more I wish I had added a doubler. I had skipped it because I couldnít find any 3/16Ē at the shop. I brought some from home and cut it off and added a 3/16Ē doubler plate.

Then I did the C pillar tie ins. The hoops actually tie in at two locations. Right above the strut and at the back of the hoop (Main C pillar node will be here). The tub corner reinforcements were in my way so I cut them all out. Kinda pointless with the corner guards.

When I was removing my rear struts to do the C pillar the lowers were difficult to get out. Some how the mis alignment spacers mushroomed allowing the bolt to lose tension and bending because it was in full shear. It also bent the 1/4Ē strut tabs in. During cycling nothing ever binded but it was kinda close at full bump. For piece of mind Iím re doing the tabs at an angle to ensure there is no way any binding occurs. ORI asked me to send them the spacers to look at because they were surprised at it. Iím also getting longer bolts to ensure the shoulder is all the way through the tabs.

Been thinking about switching it up when I paint it instead of going back black. Iím thinking gunmetal gray (glossy and with some pearl). Thought also crossed my mind of powder coating she Racelines bronze and black. Just brain storming now.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #65 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
I know it was close so just in case it was binding I redid the rear lower mounts. I cut the old ones off and tilted the new ones back so the misalignment spacers would sit in a more neutral position.

Also noticed at full articulation the front gas tank mount bolt would just kiss the strut. So I swapped them out for countersunk bolts that gives me plenty of clearance.

Finally got to bend some tube today. This main hoop was the toughest due to a compound angle and having to locate correctly to the LJ door surround. It should get easier from here. Itís close to what I drew up, but I needed the bend farther behind the b-pillar than I originally designed so I can fit my speaker pods.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 875260
This thread came out right away swinging on everyone. A very cool build and rig. Thanks for sharing.
CSpeade51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 05:46 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 216542
Good to find this thread here and see more detail on it than other places. Keep up the good work.
Ringer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #68 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
It was tedious, but I finally got the C pillar main hoops fitted, trimmed, squared and tacked into place.

Door surround fit up came out good.

Just brain storming ideas for the second C pillar tie in. I plan in making a dimple dieíd aluminum plate to bolt on to tabs in the gap. Thoughts?

Old 12-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #69 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Ok so I paid off the extortionists (Tapatalk) and can upload pics again. I haven’t touched it since before thanksgiving and won’t get back to it until tomorrow afternoon, but here is my saved post from last week:

1 step forward and 2 steps back. I thought I had my main hoops (From A to C) located properly. Then I put the soft top frame on. There is a little support above the B pillar that rests on the bow. I was off on width. I had to cut the tacks off the main hoops then tack in a couple scrap temporary pieces and use a hydraulic equipment kit to manipulate the cage into the correct spot. Once the width was corrected I was off a 1/4” square to the body. Finally figured out a plan if attack. This re work took a while. It got compounded when the hydraulic jack stopped working on the last manipulation. Tried to fill and bleed but no dice. Ended up rigging up my factory truck screw jack. It was suuuper sketch. But I got it into place and squared within 1/16”.

Bow wasn’t sitting right.

Desired width of surrounds.

My sketchy expander setup. Note the B pillar top hoop in the pic is a temp piece of scrap to hold that portion of the main hoops in place.

Jack that gave out.

Last edited by YJUnlimited; 12-03-2019 at 07:25 AM.
YJUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #70 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 870338
Didnít get my progress pics from this weekend (finished the A pillar, the Lower A-B, B-B bars and started fitting my seats. Here are some roof bars I got done last week during the week.

I figured out I could bend the fish mouth open to get the tube in place and hammer it back in once set. I did full weld underneath the tubes that covered other tube joints.

... and I did a thing today. Might need to upgrade those spicer life series joints in my front 60. Anyone need any 40Ē Creepy Crawlers?

These things are HUGE! Even stanced out my truck with them bro!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in